Arizona State University Employee Reviews

Found 1,019 reviews matching the search See all 1,026 reviews
A typical day at work as a student and employee at ASU
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 13, 2019
It was very nice to work for ASU as a student (worker) and go to school at the same time. It was very convenient to work part time or when needed. The events on campus was always fun got free ASU gear and Free Food. The experience to be on campus and feel the Sun devil spirit while working with students, colleagues, staff, deans and professors made work worth while. The culture is so diverse! It would be good place for a person looking to work in Academics and Education.
Pros
Can go to work and go to class on campus, easy commute to the light rail and Shuttles
Cons
short lunch breaks, have to deal with upset students and parents with their financial aid and enrolling in classes
Started in a newly created department
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 7, 2019
I was so excited to be a part of a newly created department at ASU. Our purpose was to streamline the evaluation of out of state (potential) transfer courses to ASU for equivalency. We started out with 6 employees and quickly grew in the three years. Once again, I was honored to be tasked with the training and onboarding of our new employees. I was also tasked with training faculty on how to evaluate upper divisions courses for equivalency in the Arizona Course Equivalency Tracking System (ACETS). I was also responsible for training other faculty on how to prepare for their annual statewide discipline-specific meetings with their colleagues from all the other statewide higher education institutions.
Pros
Outstanding benefits
Worked hard at ASU
Business Manager Sr. (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 19, 2018
ASU is a great place to work if you have a good manager. Extremely busy everyday. Budget cutbacks caused more workload for our Department but no additional funding. ASU provides many opportunities for obtaining training for staff and staff are required to take training classes every year. The Human Resouces Department is awesome and provides many resources for employees.
Pros
Awesome benefits and great people.
Cons
Budget cutbacks
Productive and fun place to work, but the pay sucks
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 24, 2018
Coordinate with the office supervisor to keep a database of sensitive student information

Assisted the office members with planning and managing schedules

Drafted letters for common conduct checks and aided private investigators in gathering student’s personal records

Advised and encouraged students to seek advocacy on certain matters of their life
Pros
Friendly Staff, Easy Going, Staff allows you to put school first
Cons
Pay is less than minimum wage
Horrible
Educator - Financial Aid Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 18, 2018
Worst place I've ever worked! The CEO is a joke and the management team sucks! If you're looking to grow with a company, you won't find that at ASU...employees even have to pay for parking. My parking was 120 dollars per month. And, they have a mandatory forced pension....12 percent out of your check, every two weeks. I couldn't afford to work there any longer. Lol.
Pros
There aren't any
great accomplishment of having students learn something each class. productive
Faculty Associate, Department of English (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 15, 2018
love to work at University settings where teaching is enjoyable and great to see how much students could learn from my instruction/ classes. The hardest part of the job is to grade so many paper drafts with very limit time
Pros
class time flexibility
Cons
no benefits for FA
Professional, team paying environment, supportive, and respectful
Hispanic Adult Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 30, 2018
weekly training, review pan, mock training, and promote carrying out community outreach. Learnning new concepts in educating parents, divorced dads, and be available for change.
Pros
Professional enviornment, respectful, supportive, and understanding supervisors
Good student job, doesn't matter in real world.
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 19, 2018
I made a point to work while in college, usually at the university itself. I worked at the school newspaper and in the tutoring center, and everyone assured me it would look great on my resume. The truth is, I don't think employers in the real world care about student jobs. The other discouraging thing is it is hard to get a reference from your job, since the turnaround is so high. If an employer called up the writing center at ASU now, nobody would know who I am to give me a recommendation, because everyone who worked there when I did has graduated and moved on.
Pros
On campus, can work around classes.
Cons
Meaningless in real world.
Incompetent and abusive work environment.
Assistant Research Professor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 18, 2018
While I enjoyed helping graduate students develop models to understand the spread of epidemics, the stressful and abusive work environment generated by my supervisor was the reason I had to leave.
Pros
Salary, working with graduate students to develop models to understand the spread of epidemics.
Cons
Stressfull and abusive work environment generated by my supervisor
Great Overall
Student Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 26, 2018
ASU provides a lot of benefits and gives you a lot of freedom without having pressure placed upon you. Typically, I would go to my desk and just pick up a project or complete the current one I was working on. The people are friendly, the environment is quiet, and everybody is willing to help each other out.
Super nice Coworkers
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 21, 2018
I was employed as a student worker and have to say it has been my best job yet. All of the faculty members were very caring and there to help anyone and everyone they could. It made it a fun and easy place to get work done and I found myself not being able to wait to get in to work.
Pros
Nice Coworkers, Flexible Hours
Cons
Low pay, no benefits
Great benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 15, 2018
Benefits these days are expensive even when offered by employers. While ASU's salary rates may not be as high as industry's, they make up for it with excellent benefits packages. Tuition is free for employees and spouses, greatly discounted for dependents, and health care is cheap!
Pros
Innovative
Cons
Overly beaurocratic
Engaging work environment with plenty of networking opportunities.
Fulton MAKE Leader (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 29, 2018
As a Fulton MAKE Leader my hours were not consistent. Typical work weeks would go anywhere from 3 hour work days to sometimes 10-12 depending on events the school would put on. When events were not present, I would work in inventory and planning. When events were scheduled, I would work setup and engagement with guests and attendees. This job was helpful in learning how to effectively engage in local community events as well as create an exciting atmosphere for attendees of the university's recruitment and student engagement events.
Pros
Flexible work hours, courteous of full time school schedule.
Cons
Could only work 20 hours max per week due to university constraints on student employment.
Set daily activities.
Accountant Senior (Former Employee) –  FDM Business OperationsAugust 29, 2018
Would begin reviewing accounts and make sure nothing was
posted erroneously. Management would check weekly on
status of transfers or entries. Many employees would complain
about the low pay. I really enjoyed working in my position.
Really enjoyed working directly with my Director and Associate
Director.
Pros
Enjoyed the daily and weekly work.
Cons
Employee moral was low.
Professional and soothing atmosphere
Research Intern-Construction Management (Former Employee) –  Arizona, Phoenix, TempeAugust 14, 2018
The typical day starts by planning my tasks for the day and dividing them on the available time.
I start research for the first project then I meet with the masters student with whom I work on the second project.
Also, I learn new coding language and read about statistical analysis and then meet with the co-working PhD student.
Once a week I meet with the hosting professor to explain my findings and to get new tasks on board.
Also, by the end of the internship I prepared a presentation that showed all my research data findings and analysis.
Great place to work!
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  TempeSeptember 22, 2018
ASU is a great place to work, the people, the culture and the many opportunities make it a fun and rewarding workplace. They offer very generous benefits and some of the best healthcare services available.
Pros
Great environment, good work/life balance, great benefits
Cons
Parking is expensive and not convenient to walk to the office
A great place to make an impact, build professional network and engage in thoughtful exchange.
Academic Associate (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 5, 2018
Numerous opportunities to contribute and engage with very experienced, thoughtful, well intentioned and experienced professionals. The Venture Mentor network is a very eclectic and engaging group.
Productive workplace with positive environment.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 9, 2018
A typical day at work consists of coming in and going to my office area. Once settled I would go to my mentors/coworkers and ask for tasks. I learned quite a bit about how clerical work and had to take care of the front desk operations at times. Management was great and the workplace was like a family setting.
Job security and good benefits, not the best pay
Systems Support Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 25, 2018
As far as IT is concerned, the pay is much better in the private sector. But, it is hard to beat the benefits and job stability at ASU. Promotion and advancement are largely based on politics, so be prepared to wait a while to advance. Also, pay raises are rare and do not cover COL increases.
ASU give accolades for work
Coordinator Senior of Customer Service, Housing (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 16, 2018
ASU has a great work environment with appreciating a job well done. Unfortunately, the pay scale is lower than private sector. Student workers are wonderful to coach and encourage!
Pros
Coaching student workers
Cons
compensatiton