Arizona State University

Arizona State University Employee Reviews

United States1,444 reviews

Found 1,444 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,454 reviews

New experience

I had the opportunity to work on multiple research projects for the Teachers College as well as the Health Solutions College. I feel like we made a meaningful difference in the community throughout the Phoenix metro.

Good for Tenure-Track Faculty, Not Great for Non-tenure Track

If you are not tenure-track faculty, be prepared to be chronically underpaid and under appreciated; you will be expected to teach at least twice as many classes while performing many of the same committee/service duties.

Pros

flexibility IF you get to dictate your schedule or teach online

Cons

compensation, no bonuses/company gifts beyond ASU president’s emailed xmas card & pathetic discount on ASU merch, sketchy practices among certain deans

Arizona State University insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Student worker

Did misc tasks. Easy job, low expectations. Depends on who you get assigned to. Was a good gig while going to school and during off season and breaks.

Fun place

Great University to volunteer. Friendly people all over, willing to help and great environment. Definitely recommend to anyone looking to find a place to volunteer.

Pros

Great school

Great Environment in the Center, Poor Management

A great place if you are looking to have a flexible schedule while working. The co-workers and environment created can be great, but management is largely disillusioned to what is really needed by the staff.

Pros

Flexibility of Schedule

Cons

Unresponsiveness of Management

Contributing and Lots of downtime

The job is excellent. You know precisely what the client wants and how to provide them with what they need. The only side that can be viewed as either positive or negative is what you do with your downtime. The job is to repair and prevent technical issues and to train others to perform advanced troubleshooting. When there are no issues to resolve there can be some downtime.

ASU is a real estate business. Everything else is secondary.

This review is specific to the School of Molecular Sciences: communication is lackluster, pay is laughable, and people are often lost in their own little worlds rather than being present and engaging with you in the moment.

Fun workplace

Fun place, interacting with different skillsets, engaging questions, flexible timings based on schedule.

Very low pay.

They say they are competitive with the market, that's a lie. They add your salary and benefits to arrive at this conclusion. You can't pay bills with insurance. Inflation is at an all time high Ang gas is the highest ever in the history of America. There's no cost of living raises , rarely raises at all. You are forced to pay to park and give 12 % of your wage to Arizona State Retirement

Pros

Difficult to think of

Cons

Too many, I don't recommend it

Outstanding Benefits

There is good and bad at ASU. Unfortunately, department heads, directors, faculty head are picked more for their longevity than for their ability. You have a lot of freedom in the classroom to create your teaching pedagogy. Tenured faculty are held up as untouchables so when they want to take down a contact faculty, they can.

Pros

Some of the best benefits you will ever get

Cons

Faculty leaders that get appointed without the skills for lead

You get a decent stipend for an RA/TA

For an RA/TA, even thought the pay is not great compared to other universities, the professors are good. You can concentrate on your research without worrying about pay (at least most of the time)

Need to pay student workers MORE

Working in my department was fine, I enjoyed or was fine with most of my tasks, but the main thing I disliked about the job was that I was a student worker under ASU and ASU doesn’t pay their student workers enough. They pay us a few cents above minimum wage. Supervisor was flexible on my schedule and allowed me to fit hours between my classes, but I will never be a student worker again because of the pay, and the fact that it’s biweekly

When it's on mission, it's great

A lot has changed from when I was a student in the late 1980s and worked there (the first time) in the 1990s.Overall, the school's mission hasn't changed, even if the way it's implemented it has. As with any job, the people you work with make up the majority of how good or bad one's experience is. The group I worked with were phenomenal individuals and I'd work with them again in a heartbeat.As a state-level academic institution (now), you need to realize you're dealing with a bureaucracy that moves slow, has policies that can be set in concrete, etc. But it can also work to one's advantage if there's a policy in one's favor (such as medical leave).Raises were accomplished mostly by moving into another position, vs. time-in-the-job.

Great

Good for students. I enjoyed my time working there, if it was not for Covid I would have stayed until I graduated. The people were really great and inviting and supportive.

eh

Mid-level staff incredibly underpaid and over worked which often causes a high turnover rate. Same for student workers. However some of the staff members really do care about the students, but those aren't valued as they should be.

good place to work

a good place to work, good benefits, and free to take their courses if you are a staff. management was good, everyone seemed to be very caring. in a nutshell easy work with good benefits.

I love research and ASU provided me with that opportunity.

A typical day involves many, many phone calls: tracking, tracing, data management, interviewing, scheduling interviews. I am a people person with excellent telephone skills and pride myself in the number of people I retained in ASU studies.

OK for experienced people, good for kids with no experience

Working at ASU as a student is OK. The positions I held worked around my schedule which was great but as a part-time employee I did not get any benefits, not even a tuition discount. The people you work with will vary. You might work with people of various ages, or you might end up with freshmen that just want to gossip or talk about parties. ASU student employment provides good experience for people that don't have much real-world work experience.

Fun work place with low salary

This position is for graduate students with funded projects. Expectations are low and limited to the successful planning and conducting of experiments.

Pros

Learning experience

Cons

ulivable wage

Low Pay

The only thing good about working here is that schedules are built around you. However, pay is ridiculously low. Some of these jobs require a bit more than what's offered.

Pros

flexible scheduling

Cons

low pay

See real-time wages at statepress.comHow can some people be paid 700k while others are below a living wage?

See statepress.com to see the real-time salaries paid by job description.Some people make 700k while others are not making a living wage???Salaries are not negotiable and there is no such thing as Depending on experience. Every position has a set starting salary that is undisclosed because it is so low that no one will apply.

Pros

14k out of pocket limit for health insurance!

Cons

Plan on working an extra job on the side so you can pay for your parking!

Common questions about Arizona State University

Answered by current and former employees at Arizona State University

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arizona State University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight