Arkansas Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

VP level management ruined the culture
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 10, 2018
I worked for ACH in IT for nearly 14 years. ACH has always been a wonderful place, but I can no longer recommend it as a place to work in IT. Changes at the VP level about three years ago have resulted in a severe decline in the work culture there.

As a result, there has been an exodus of talent from ACH in the IT department. ACH is still a great place overall, but just be careful about which departments you work for. There are some areas with self-serving management that should be avoided.
Pros
A great healthcare environment for children.
Cons
Decline in the culture in some departments.
Leading care giver of children's health in Arkansas
Telephone Triage Nurse (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 7, 2018
A professional business environment that supports the care of children with multiple health issues. A magnet organization, the highest award given by the National Nursing Credentialing organization. Many opportunities to develop your nursing skills.
Pros
prestigious
Cons
work/life balance can be a challenge
SPANISH INTERPRETER (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 6, 2018
Really enjoyed working at ACH. I was going to school while working there and they were very flexible with my schedule. Coworkers were great and I learned a lot from them.
Love this company
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 30, 2018
This is one of the best companies I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. Great values, excellent benefits. Teamwork is excellent. Management is very involved and a always approachable. I love this company.
Rewarding
ER Admission Counselor (Current Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 20, 2018
A place to help others and and put a smile on each and every one face you come in contact with. Ach family will always touch your heart in some way. Our entire staff is very passionate about the care given. It's a place for making memories.
Day
Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 20, 2018
A day at work could be challenging or on some day boarding. The culture is great because we are all about helping kids, management could be better listeners.
Great place to advance your career
NEONATAL ICU RN II (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 13, 2018
ACH is a great place to work. Career advancement opportunities are very structured with encouragement to set goals and climb the achievement ladder. Benefits and compensation are also attractive.
Pros
salary/compensation
Cons
too far for me to commute
I loved working with children
Assistant Nurse Manager/OR/PACU (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 10, 2018
My manager quit when I started therefore I did not get any training and they did not hire a new manager therefore I left as I felt incapable of performing my job.
Pros
Working with Children
Cons
No management in my area or training
Excellent place to work
Patient Information Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 6, 2018
I was able to learn a great deal at ACH. The management was supportive and provided tools for advancement. The hardest part of the job was leaving and the most enjoyable part was seeing the families smile upon discharge.
Experiences differ per Unit
RN II - Neonatal ICU (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 21, 2018
I spent almost 10 years in this organization with a complete administration change and mission change occurring during my tenure. While the new mission drives all that occurs within the company, there are those who take it to extremes.

My unit experience was amazing in the beginning I felt heard, valued, appreciated and an asset to the company. After a new director was hired in my unit, all of that changed. It is now an arena filled with favoritism/cronyism, double talk and politics not conducive to positive staff morale. Even though staff are given the opportunity to voice opinions on actions that would directly affect patient care, opinions and concerns go largely ignored. Staff feel unheard, undervalued and easily replaceable as a result.

The majority of my coworkers are amazing individuals who are passionate and driven to care for our patient population. They make difficult shifts better and offer support through true teamwork. I have made some very amazing friends here and will value them as I move forward. They are the most enjoyable part of the job.

I'm very aware that my experience is limited to the unit that I was employed in and the director of that unit. I know that others have not had these experiences or feel that they are undervalued or unappreciated. As a whole, the organization is wonderful and there are a myriad of opportunities to experience different types of nursing within its walls.
Pros
Coworkers, benefits
Cons
Seniority is undervalued
Environment
Registered nurse iii (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AR 72202June 20, 2018
Great place to work, had the opportunity to work with some seasoned Nurses and learn a lot, this helped me with caring for my kids and great opportunities to volunteer in the community, and employees where reward every year of a great job.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
frequent changes
Champion for Children
Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 19, 2018
Organization has an excellent mission statement. Recommend employment if you like working with children and families.
The hardest part of my job is not being sure if position will be funded from year to year. The position was not advertised as grant funded.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Job security with grant funded position.
excellent
Cupid and Phoenix Credentialed Trainer (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 19, 2018
great place to work, great staff and working atmosphere . I was there on contract, it was a great experience. I was able to join the staff and they were very welcoming. I would go back given the chance.
kool place to work
Housekeeper/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 18, 2018
very kool people to work around......Got to know everyone like family dont intend to leave just find another job....just not enough money, but childrens was a ok place to work before we got contracted out of hospital and now no benefits.....
Pros
no free lunch
Cons
30min lunch
AR Children's Hospital was a great place to work.
Adjustment Processor - A/R Control (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 17, 2018
The hospital was a great place to work and offered awesome benefits and flexible work hour schedules. Since there were so many departments at the hospital there was definitely alot of room and opportunity for career advancement and stability.
Great group of people to work with
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Emergency RoomJune 2, 2018
Most team members work well together in a very collaborative environment. This makes managing traumas as well as current patient tasks easier as everyone jumps in to get orders done and to to take care of the patients.
Pros
The team members throughly enjoy working together making the 12 hours bearable
Cons
Short breaks, no work life work schedule, burn out
Administrative Director of Laboratories (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 1, 2018
Productive fast pace environment with strong commitment to patient and employee safety. Great communication from administration through front-line worker.
Pros
Great benefits
Disneyland Workplace
Staff RN II- NICU (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 30, 2018
It is a wonderful place that does great things for the community. Many of the employees never leave. There's something magical about this place and everyone who enters will agree.
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 30, 2018
My position at Children's was a great experience. I enjoyed every minute of the day I spend at my job. The management was wonderful to work with. My position at times could be very stressful but fulfilling. Children's Hospital is an ideal place to work. I was sorry to leave Children's when I moved to Fayetteville. AR
Pros
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Supportive colleagues but unreasonable case load expectations
Hematology/Oncology MSW Intern (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 25, 2018
The dept. I was placed in did not have adequate resources to maintain the caseload it received. Two social workers were expected to manage a caseload where the need is measured on bed capacity. The census does not mention the work needed to be done even while our patients and their families are not within hospital walls but still requiring service from their social worker.

The social work department itself is a great place to be. The role is (mostly) valued by other professionals, which is important as we work as members of an interdisciplinary team to best care for our patients.
Pros
AMAZING learning opportunity
Cons
no pay, lack of employment opportunity for LMSWs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Children's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight