Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Employee Reviews

Bad pay, mis-managed
Driver (Former Employee) –  ArkansasSeptember 17, 2018
Papers always late for pick-up; carrier has to wait, sometimes for hours, then try to make up for the delay, with late-paper complaints still held against them. Damaged or missing papers come out of the rack sales, which the carrier has to pay for, even if it isn't their fault. Promised bonuses often not paid; regular monthly pay often incorrect; trying to get it corrected almost impossible. Management often unreachable, and when reached are ineffective, apathetic, and even deceitful. Other carriers/drivers are often friendly, nice. But Arkansas Democrat Gazette is not a good company to contract with.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Everything else
Good hours
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARJune 27, 2018
I enjoyed working for the Arkansas Democrat Gazette because I enjoy driving. As a carrier I was My own boss, I had the same work schedule every week, and I received a payment every week from the racks. I did not enjoy never having a day off or vacation days.
Decent Money For the Hours
Newspaper Delivery (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARJune 18, 2018
I deliver newspapers between the hours of 2am to 6am. I enjoy the hours and being able to be home with my family during the day. District Manager really cares about his people and tries to be as helpful as he can be.
Fun place to work a lot of great people.
Pallet Jack Operator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 16, 2018
A lot of down time you have to find something to do if the machine breaks down and that happens often.
The people were great we had a lot of fun they were very nice as well.
Best job
General Assignment Reporter and Features (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 7, 2018
I loved the Dem-Gaz. I only left because of a move. However, like all newspapers they have had many layoffs since I was there. Not sure how secure I would feel about working there now.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
none!
Arkansas democrat gazette
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 17, 2018
it was and awesome experience if you like to sell things you will love it they have many branches of sales door to door on phones any opportunity you need.
Early hours of work.
Newspaper carrier (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs Village, ARApril 8, 2018
Early hours. Seven days a week. Self employed, contracted. Drive a lot of miles. Was able to work a second job because of hour flexibility. No contact with to many people. Independent work.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Drive own vehicle
No respect for enployees or carrieres.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ArMarch 12, 2018
Horrible work for no pay... Work 7 days a week no days off while management sits around. No help if stuck on routes. Always gettinv the wrong end of the stick. Alot if managers hire the wrong kinnd of people.
Like it alot
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARFebruary 13, 2018
The paper was a great place to work when i was there to bad technology is killing the news paper business things have really slowed down from when i was there. Less and less people each year are buying news papers
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Low pay scale
A high-pressure job with tight deadlines but enjoyable.
Page Designer (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 6, 2017
I was laid off just a little over two months after accepting this position from out of state. While I’m sure it would have been a good place to work long-term, it was very disappointing that they left me high and dry. I was quite happy at my old job and only took this job to be closer to family.
Cons
Job security
Challenging but rewarding place to work
Assistant city editor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 10, 2017
The newspaper strives to maintain high standards at a time when economic realities of the newspaper industry are growing more dire. Though manpower has been reduced, most people do have the resources necessary to do quality work.
Pros
High standards
Cons
Uncertain economic times in the industry
Horrible place to work!!!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 14, 2017
The management is awful. The pay is horrible. No room for advancement unless your in good with the Good old boys. Too much work for VERY little Pay. They treat their employees like modern day slaves.
Pros
Cons
Too many to name.
As a District Manager you are on call almost everyday.
Marketing Manager/District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 12, 2017
The morning hours are 2:30 am to 9:15 am 4 days a week. Every Sunday 2:30-10:15 am.Your days off rotate wed and thurs one week fri and sat the next.You have to work some evenings selling newspapers door to door.
Pros
Lots of day time off
Cons
Graveyard hours and every Sunday
Excellent company to work for!
Inside Sales/Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Democrat, ARJuly 31, 2017
This company offered competitive pay. I worked in the classified employment ads. Once companies started online job listings, my commissions bottomed out. They have excellent management and work to reward their employees accordingly.
alright job for the money
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 26, 2017
If you like to drive maybe listen to music as you pass out papers then this is the job for you. Its easy and the money is good for the 3 to 4 hours you spend folding and throwing.
Utterly great
Designer (Current Employee) –  Democrat, ARJune 17, 2017
Love this place. Just a first rate employer. Never a dull moment in this job. I'm constantly doing new work which I find highly entertaining. A great place to work.
Fast paced and fun learning experience
City Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 19, 2016
A great place to work. Low pay, but I feel that my hard work and organization were never overlooked. I was given more and more tasks as management saw my work ethic and general enthusiasm. I would've like to have continued working here, and I only left because I moved to Brooklyn.
Pros
Great coworkers, Autonomy
Cons
Low pay, No benefits, Part time
Fun and challenging place to work, but very family oriented.
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 21, 2016
Very fun place to work and am close to everybody I work with. The employees almost seem like family. Upper management is very personable with all their employees. Very family driven, I believe mainly because it is a family owned business.
Timing and Tiring
Newspaper Delivery (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 9, 2016
Since I am a college student the time you have to be at work is very hard to get use to plus trying to manage school work and sleeping. You have to be up for work to early and I stay so tired from going to work and having to be a full time student.
Pretty flexible but lots of hidden charges.
Paper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 27, 2016
You are an independent contractor. They try to charge you for any little thing. Your job security is not always set. If all routes are full then your route could be on the line.
Cons
Pay is dependent on the number of papers you throw.