Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Employee Reviews

Arkansas democrat gazette
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 17, 2018
it was and awesome experience if you like to sell things you will love it they have many branches of sales door to door on phones any opportunity you need.
No respect for enployees or carrieres.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ArMarch 12, 2018
Horrible work for no pay... Work 7 days a week no days off while management sits around. No help if stuck on routes. Always gettinv the wrong end of the stick. Alot if managers hire the wrong kinnd of people.
Like it alot
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARFebruary 13, 2018
The paper was a great place to work when i was there to bad technology is killing the news paper business things have really slowed down from when i was there. Less and less people each year are buying news papers
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Low pay scale
A high-pressure job with tight deadlines but enjoyable.
Page Designer (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 6, 2017
I was laid off just a little over two months after accepting this position from out of state. While I’m sure it would have been a good place to work long-term, it was very disappointing that they left me high and dry. I was quite happy at my old job and only took this job to be closer to family.
Cons
Job security
Challenging but rewarding place to work
Assistant city editor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 10, 2017
The newspaper strives to maintain high standards at a time when economic realities of the newspaper industry are growing more dire. Though manpower has been reduced, most people do have the resources necessary to do quality work.
Pros
High standards
Cons
Uncertain economic times in the industry
Horrible place to work!!!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 14, 2017
The management is awful. The pay is horrible. No room for advancement unless your in good with the Good old boys. Too much work for VERY little Pay. They treat their employees like modern day slaves.
Pros
Cons
Too many to name.
As a District Manager you are on call almost everyday.
Marketing Manager/District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 12, 2017
The morning hours are 2:30 am to 9:15 am 4 days a week. Every Sunday 2:30-10:15 am.Your days off rotate wed and thurs one week fri and sat the next.You have to work some evenings selling newspapers door to door.
Pros
Lots of day time off
Cons
Graveyard hours and every Sunday
Excellent company to work for!
Inside Sales/Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Democrat, ARJuly 31, 2017
This company offered competitive pay. I worked in the classified employment ads. Once companies started online job listings, my commissions bottomed out. They have excellent management and work to reward their employees accordingly.
alright job for the money
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 26, 2017
If you like to drive maybe listen to music as you pass out papers then this is the job for you. Its easy and the money is good for the 3 to 4 hours you spend folding and throwing.
Utterly great
Designer (Current Employee) –  Democrat, ARJune 17, 2017
Love this place. Just a first rate employer. Never a dull moment in this job. I'm constantly doing new work which I find highly entertaining. A great place to work.
Fast paced and fun learning experience
City Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 19, 2016
A great place to work. Low pay, but I feel that my hard work and organization were never overlooked. I was given more and more tasks as management saw my work ethic and general enthusiasm. I would've like to have continued working here, and I only left because I moved to Brooklyn.
Pros
Great coworkers, Autonomy
Cons
Low pay, No benefits, Part time
Fun and challenging place to work, but very family oriented.
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 21, 2016
Very fun place to work and am close to everybody I work with. The employees almost seem like family. Upper management is very personable with all their employees. Very family driven, I believe mainly because it is a family owned business.
Timing and Tiring
Newspaper Delivery (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 9, 2016
Since I am a college student the time you have to be at work is very hard to get use to plus trying to manage school work and sleeping. You have to be up for work to early and I stay so tired from going to work and having to be a full time student.
Pretty flexible but lots of hidden charges.
Paper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 27, 2016
You are an independent contractor. They try to charge you for any little thing. Your job security is not always set. If all routes are full then your route could be on the line.
Cons
Pay is dependent on the number of papers you throw.
Newspaper carrier
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 7, 2015
If you had a vehicle that got really good gas mileage was worth it but was spending money out of pocket to keep doing the job.
Pros
Night time hardly any traffic
Cons
Pay wasn't so great
Advertising sales is very rewarding with an opportunity to be creative.
Direct Sales and Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Democrat, ARMarch 31, 2015
A career at the Arkansas Democrat Gazette will be completely filled with opportunities to sell, sell, sell. Advertising sales is very rewarding because you put a piece of yourself in most of the ads that you sell. You will have the opportunity to come up with concepts for a business' ad. You will get to know your customers very well and know what they need to increase revenue for them. This position will potentially teach you a lot about matching your products with a customer's needs. This knowledge is vital.

People here are hard-working, sharp and have very friendly personalities. Unfortunately, there is a lot of turn-over, largely having to do with the bosses, workload and declining pay checks.

The problem with the company lies within the management. When profits started heading downhill, management went into panic mode and began setting goals what were harder and harder to make, thus lowering salespeople's take-home. If you want to sell and be proud of what you sell, this is the place for you, but be ready to have your sales zone changed and be ready to be required to sell special items to your customers that will increase revenue for the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, but not be in the best interests of your customers.
Pros
Very interesting work. No day is the same.
Cons
Unrealistic goals, dwindling pay, rising healthcare out-of-pocket cost
This is a good place to work if you're young and don't have a family to support
Administrative secretary (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 21, 2014
At a typical day at work, I answered a multi-line phone; greeted and directed visitors; processed orders; made copies; and assisted in mailings. I learned about mass mailing (e.g. mail merges and database management) and customer service. The atmosphere was not the best; management had little to do with "lower" workers such as administrative assistants, etc., and promotions were biased. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers via the phone; those of us who did not usually work with customers sometimes had to take calls from angry customers, and we were not trained for it. Sometimes we were forced to work in customer service and take calls. This was torturous without training.

The pay was low, with very little increases, and the co-workers were a little friendly, but politics always overruled business relationships. I did enjoy talking to the few pleasant customers I encountered. I also have to add that during the time I worked there, the CEO/President bought several newspapers, cable companies, etc., yet did not increase our salaries to a reasonable level.
Pros
Free newspapers, free holiday dinners at work
Cons
politics, unfriendly management, low pay
Fun people, relaxed yet professional atmosphere
Graphic Designer/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 20, 2014
My co-workers felt more like friends than co-workers. Management was accommodating whenever I had to take my children to doctor's appointments. The way they treat their employees should not be taken for granted, as those kinds of employers are few and far between.
Pros
Flexibility, Comfortable Working Atmosphere
Cons
Commission checks sometimes irregular, making it difficult to budget household expenses
Sales/Leasing/Management
Retail advertising inside sales (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 21, 2013
8 hours ofsales, calls setting appointmnets, leasing, administrative duties.
Work can be fun if you enjoy what you are doing.
Interesting topic.
We all try to get along in a very professional manner.
Colleecting commissions from some Landlords.
Sales and leasing. Helping business owners find the right location for them.
Pros
Commissions
Cons
Alot of drive time
Undesirable Job
Copy Editor/Page Designer (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARSeptember 22, 2013
This is a company that is caught in a dying industry and has been forced to take many cuts out of employees' pay, benefits and overall work enjoyment. In my experience, the management, atmosphere and coworker relationships were poor at best. I was happy to get some experience from this company on my resume and very happy to move forward in my career at another company.
Cons
poor pay and work environment