Arkansas Department of Health Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
An excellent company to work for even though there weren't many job advancement opportunities
Lead Clerk (Former Employee) –  Des Arc, ARApril 5, 2018
* Relaxed and goal-oriented

* I learned how to become a more effective customer service rep.

* The management was awesome

* The workplace culture was inclusive and productive

* Can't say that there was any hard part except maybe having to travel for some meetings

* I enjoyed helping our customers the most and learning that everyone is the same, basically, no matter where they come from
Pros
Opportunity to serve the community
Cons
No room for advancement
Not enough employees
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 2, 2018
You take of the disabled but you were only allowed to work no more that 12 per week for each patient. You could work weekend if needed. You could make your own time schedule.
Pros
Making your own schedule
Cons
The pay
Statewide Travel and mileage
Statewide Flu Clinic Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 16, 2018
This year flu vaccinations were vital, as the present flu season has demonstrated. It was a pleasure to contribute to avoiding community health problems.
Pros
Traveling to a variety of different locations in Arkansas
Cons
Correction Facilities, by their nature, are slow and tedious due to threat avoidance procedures
Relaxed workplace if you have good time managment skills
Health Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  West Memphis, ARMarch 7, 2018
I love my work environment the only way I would ever leave is if a new career opportunity was to arise. They offer great benefits, paid time off. We are all like family and work as a team to get the job done!
Pros
Pto, great work environment, benefits
Productive and Fun
Administrative Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 15, 2018
I enjoyed my time at ConnectCare. Work included assisting medicaid recipients with assign in their primary care provider. It gave me solid experience in clerical work and providing customer service. The work was easy but challenging and I enjoyed working with a team. Management cared for your well-being and made it a point to speak to all of their employees on a daily basis. You also had a choice in morning and evening shifts. I chose the evening shift.
Pros
Great work environment, Monthly team events for company moral
Better management should have been given.
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 25, 2018
Unstable work environment in due to ineffective communication and not enough team players for this particular clinic.
Overall the last department I worked in was more structured and more room for upward mobility.
Terrible place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Marshall, ARJanuary 23, 2018
All that works at ADH is a bunch of back stabbing tattle tails. The best part of working there was helping the people. I enjoyed meeting people. But for me you can be the best at what you do here but if management doesn't like you they will cause you problems. Management will bully you and micromanage you to the point you're drained from stress. Management and tattle tail co workers create a hostile environment through out the department. That's how management works around here. It's very sad they can get away with treating good employees like they are nobody. A bad manager can take good employees and turn them into non caring employees fast. There's nepotism throughout the department also. It's just not a good place to work at all.
Pros
The public
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Marianna, ARJanuary 21, 2018
While working at the Home Health office. The staff and Supervisors were very friendly and helpful. I was hired at Lee County Health Department but mostly work in Helena. Now they do not offer home health.
Summary
Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARJanuary 11, 2018
The Arkansas department of health has good benefit packet with paid time off. The down side to the health department there is room for advancement or increase in pay. My experience with the department of health was good due to the working hours and paid tome off.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
poor salary.
I loved my job.
HR Administrative Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 19, 2017
My boss was the best. She was fair to everyone in the group. She made sure we had everything we needed and she also had our back. The pay was just not good.
Good workplace...horrible management
Health Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 7, 2017
The job itself is rewarding but the upper management is not. They arent fair and do not make sure the employee has training to do his/her job. The management team do not care and are not there for the employees. Very heartless and are there getting paid to make the employees job a nightmare.
Too stressful and underappreciated
Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hope, ARNovember 28, 2017
I will never recommend working for this facility until the current management has retired. She is vindictive and creates a hostile work environment. I have seen many colleagues have mental breakdowns and develop mental and physical health problems while working for this organization.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
poor pay, hostile work environment, no room for career advancement unless you are related to someone at the top.
Healthcare work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARNovember 27, 2017
You work with a wide variety of people in the health department. It can be challenging and difficult at times. The employees are friendly and willing to help.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
poor pay
Ok place to work
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  4815 West Markham Street Little Rock, Ar.November 2, 2017
Coming in at 5:45 am turning on the phone getting my equipment set up to start my day learn a lot from talking to different people all over the state of Arkansas, I love my mangers they were the best at taking care of there staff and working with there staff, the culture was very nice, the hardest part was not all was being able to help people and meet there needs, the most enjoyable part was knowing that I did help a person are people that day.
Relaxed friendly environment
Budget Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 18, 2017
A typical day at work at the Department of Health consisted of reviewing budget and expense reports for the agency and assisting other program areas with their budgets. The hardest part of the job was sometimes dealing with difficult employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to assist people with budget questions or problems.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Parking
hard work, but temporary job
Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  ArkansasSeptember 26, 2017
The job was grant based and thus it ended. It was rewarding work establishing policy toward tobacco education. I wish the job did not have to end. TPCP (tobacco prevention and cessation program)
Fast paced fulfilling job
Team Leader, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARSeptember 5, 2017
Working both in the clinic and with In-Home Services was Good balances in place to try to provide equality to employees. Only left because the governor sold our division to the private sector.
Pros
Great benefits, enjoyable, challenging and fulfilling.
Cons
Old hires pay does not balance with new hires.
Clerical at Pulaski County Heath Unit
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Pulaski County Health Unit Little Rock, ARAugust 30, 2017
I worked diligently and did accurate work; my work was audited by State Auditors every few months. And I received high ratings.
the Supervisor and director are the main reasons I left.
The best part of my job was interaction with outside clients.
Since my leaving, both the supervisor and the director of that unit were RELOCATED to other locations and not in same jobs
Adh
Environmental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Conway, ARAugust 3, 2017
Working for the Arkansas Department of Health has several pros and cons. Though you have a liberal work load and leave time, the pay is sub standard and not worth the trouble from being micromanaged.
Work
MMR/Influenza Data Entry Extra Help (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 10, 2017
The workload was large but was not pressured from supervisor. The best part of working in the Influenza section of the Arkansas Department of Health was the people.