Arkansas Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Get hired with the intention to leave. Stack your resume'
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 3, 2018
DHS is the perfect way to boost your resume'. The environment and promotional opportunities are purely political, and there isnt room for natural advancement just by working hard. The same with annual raises which will depend on the budget and not your true performance. Get vested at the most and leave.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Lack of upward mobility
Worst job ever
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, AROctober 5, 2018
The state department doesn't care about work/life balance, it's all about numbers to them. A typical day starts before you leave your home in the morning with phone calls and demands, running at a sprint all day long with everyone complaining because there is not enough time in the day to actually complete the job, and then ending your day late with more phone calls and demands. I did learn a lot. Management is non-existent. The workplace culture is strange. The hardest part of the job is not being able to complete anything. There was no enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
job security - because turnover is so high
Cons
low pay, low support, low moral
Very poor management
Fsw (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, AROctober 1, 2018
The job itself was fine and rewarding however management was horrible and office staff was a joke along with supervisors who cannot supervise or keep office politics and gossip under control. Would not recommend
Pros
Benefits and paid sick leave
Cons
Horrible management, on call and long hours
Can be stressful, but it's still a great place to work for!
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  LewisvilleSeptember 27, 2018
The job can be stressful at times, but it is still a great place to work for! The staff treats each other like family and has each others backs which is very important to me. The starting pay is pretty decent and the benefits are great. I can honestly say that I love my job here!
Pros
Staff treats each other like family, decent pay, benefits
Cons
Stressful at times
There is not room for career growth. The staff that has over 20 years make less or same as new staff. unfair.
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 9, 2018
Jobs are stressful but most of the time you are treated as adults. If pay was better job would be a lot better. a lot of meeting. if you have great people and computer skills and not seeking a great salary but just want a decent job this is the place.
requires patience but very rewarding
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 18, 2018
DHS is seldom intended as a final career. It's usually something we all start out in and work to get out. But those who stay will find many career opportunities and the ability to earn good money while serving the public good.

The retirement benefits are better than corporate America and the job security is much better.
they have great people working for them
Program Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARAugust 25, 2018
Working at DHS is stressful even though you are trying to help the community. They don't want to follow through with the guidelines and they get upset when their benefits is not on their card.
Pros
being able to help those in need
Cons
very stressful atmosphere
Goid benefits
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, ARJuly 31, 2018
The entry level positions are a lot of work. The positions that are not entry level, require a lot of experience. The benefits are pretty good. Annual time and sick leave is accrued.
Pros
Annual leave and sick accrued, holidays off
Cons
A lot of rules, protocols and procedures to follow
A job with great benefits
Social Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  McGehee, ArkansasJuly 18, 2018
I enjoy working for the Department of Human Services. It is very rewarding to assist people in your community. The pay scale is very low working for the State of Arkansas compared to the private job market.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Very low pay
no comment
Administrative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 3, 2018
I enjoyed working at DHS. Overall the atmosphere was pleasant. The benefits were good. I would return to this job if I were given the opportunity..
Pros
No comment
Cons
No Comment

Want to know more about Arkansas Department of Human Services?

Ask a question
It's a nice job with ok benefits.
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARMay 17, 2018
I did enjoy working at DHS. I really miss the paid time off and the benefits. Sometimes, it would get busy and people that come in would be rowdy, but I definitely would go back .
If you like to be busy, and don't need any recognition for effort and results, work here.
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARMarch 7, 2018
A typical day at work for me is going to my office and staying there going from one task to the next for the next 8 hours, eating at my desk, and never hearing anything good about what I do. If you aren't strong and able to toot your own horn, working for DHS is not for you.
Pros
Hour lunches, plenty of PTO, health benefits
Cons
Too busy environment, incomplete training, lack of positive reinforcement
Boss was threatened by anyone with more education than her.
Program Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berryville, ARMarch 21, 2018
Ten minutes after I walked in the door, my immediate supervisor came in, closed the door and informed me that she didn't want to hire me because of my education level and would find a way to get rid of me at the first given opportunity.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile work environment
Stressful job
Worker (Former Employee) –  ARApril 7, 2018
Stressful, no teamwork, cut throat co-workers and management, very political, high turnover rate, management only hiring their friends and just not satisfying or rewarding.
Benefits
Cons
Long exhausting hours
Largest state agency
Medical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 15, 2018
The benefit to working for a large organization is that there are many opportunities to move around within the organization to find the right fit. It is seldom that work outside of the normal business hours is requires which is helpful in maintaining work-life balance.
Pros
Amicable work environment
Cons
Low wages
Large Organization with lots of politics
Medicaid Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ArkansasMarch 12, 2018
Largest State-wide organization. Lots of politics involved, pay is okay, benefits are good. Work can be rewarding, can be stressful. Most managers are easy to work with.
Providing services to clients with open DCFS cases
Program assistant (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJanuary 29, 2018
The job is a great fulfilling job but has poor management and can feel like you are fighting the system alone. Understand DCFS is a broken system but you can still make a difference. Can't work this job for the paycheck.
Pros
Good benefits/paid holidays
Cons
poor management/ broken system
Stressful place to work
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Warren, ARFebruary 27, 2018
Had a lot of computer issues that prevented clients from receiving services timely. I worked as a Supervisor for people who determined eligibility for government benefits.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Issues arrive for which you have no control.
The state is not the best place to work.
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 29, 2018
The work load is very over whelming for one person. The work place is very conniving and the managers do not have your back. The hardest part of my job is not being able to help the working class. The clients are always upset and the states is always looking for ways to cut cost and save money.
Pros
Helping citizens in need.
Cons
The breaks aren't long, the pay is great, and you have a lot of paper work.
Supervisor - Foster Care (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARFebruary 7, 2018
Even though working for the State was difficult I learned a lot. I had good training, supportive supervisor and decent salary. The state offered room to grow within the agency