Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews

Stressful job
Worker (Former Employee) –  ARApril 7, 2018
Stressful, no teamwork, cut throat co-workers and management, very political, high turnover rate, management only hiring their friends and just not satisfying or rewarding.
Benefits
Cons
Long exhausting hours
Boss was threatened by anyone with more education than her.
Program Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berryville, ARMarch 21, 2018
Ten minutes after I walked in the door, my immediate supervisor came in, closed the door and informed me that she didn't want to hire me because of my education level and would find a way to get rid of me at the first given opportunity.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile work environment
Large Organization with lots of politics
Medicaid Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ArkansasMarch 12, 2018
Largest State-wide organization. Lots of politics involved, pay is okay, benefits are good. Work can be rewarding, can be stressful. Most managers are easy to work with.
Wonderful people to work with
DASS RN (Former Employee) –  Madison CountyMarch 3, 2018
Madison Co unit is one of the best places to work. ...excellent people to work with....loved my coworkers...just had an offer to travel that I just could not turn down. .."a once in a life time opportunity "....other wise. I would still be there
Fast pace company. Must be ready to meet and accomodate peopel from national
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, ARMarch 2, 2018
A typical consist of answering at least 100 call from clients requesting information regarding their SNAP and Medicaid case.
I have learned in this business that patience is a must and treat everyone equal.
Management differs, each person priorities are different.
The hardest part about the job is workers being in unity. It's hard when a person has a real need and you cannot give help to that person.

The most rewarding part of the day is when I have helped a person and made their day, their lively hood better.
Pros
Annual leave, Sick leave, Birthday leave, Holidays working 8-4:30 of on Saturdays and Sundays
Cons
No bonuses, not a lot of opportunities for growth. Pay scale is low
Terrible place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawford County, ARFebruary 13, 2018
I was sexually harassed several times over a period of almost 3 years and supervisors never did anything about it. Very hostile work environment. I was asked to falsify time sheets and client records. Other employees were constantly bashing clients with supervisors in open conversation. Very bad place to work. I was never given a performance evaluation in almost 3 years.
Pros
Little or no supervision
Cons
Ruin people’s lives
Shark bait
County Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waldron, ARJanuary 30, 2018
When you begin with Economic Services for DHS they make it appear that you will be able to handle the work load. However, the only people that seem to handle the work load are those who don't care about the clients. If you care about the clients and what happens to them you will probably not be able to get your work done, which leads to being harassed by supervisors.
I would not recommend working at DHS to anyone whether I liked them or not.
Run away from these people as fast as you can.
Pros
Vacation, Sick days and holidays
Cons
Poorly chosen supervisors
Job
Fiscal Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 23, 2018
I like working for the state. I love the hours and weekends off. I like working as a team and not trying to put the puzzle together alone. Not trying to figure out by yourself.
Pros
Hours and weekends off
Cons
Team work
Learning
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 15, 2018
learned quite a bit at Arkansas Department of Human Services opened up several doors to a better future would be willing to return if given the opportunity.
Great workplace and environment.
Family Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARJanuary 3, 2018
Great job for people who like to help the community. Everything is hands on. This place of work is for people that are willing to work well with others.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Enjoyed working there
In-house Counsel (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 12, 2017
Caseload was insane but collegial environment and availability of management made the job as easy as it could be. Not much room to advance within the Office of Chief Counsel but opportunities to move to other divisions within the agency.
Excellent job
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Danville, ARDecember 5, 2017
Very satisfying work. I would highly recommend it. I am only looking for career advancement or I would not be looking. We provide life improving and often life saving services to our clients that enable them to stay in their homes safely and still receive the services they need.
Pros
Client service
Cons
large caseload
I felt ambushed
Computer Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARNovember 28, 2017
I felt I was doing a great job. I asked often how I was doing, was told well. Then suddenly I am asked into office within 3 months and told it was not working out. I completed the work of a Database Administrator and coder.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Pay was low and Job title was incorrect for job performed.
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pulaski County, ARNovember 13, 2017
Good place to work, nice coworkers, homely environment
clients aren't so easy to get along with but if you enjoy helping others, the environment is great
High Stress environment with very little job satisfaction
Local Office Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Faulkner County, AROctober 25, 2017
I does not matter how qualified or motivated an individual is, the pay and hour will never compensate for the high stress and biased atmosphere found in this county office!
State Job
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Heber Springs, AROctober 15, 2017
This job did not have guidelines or handbooks for the employees as the job profile is constantly changing with every new state and federal law, so it is difficult to recommend a job like this to any one who needs any guidance
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
Job Overview
Resource Worker (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, AROctober 9, 2017
There are many roles to pay at DHS. Regardless the job is not easy. There will be many long and stressful days. Often times it is a thankless job. You will see and experince a lot of sad things. But its all worth it for those moments when you helped bring a family together. It’s worth it when you helped put a smile on a child’s face. Its not easy but its worth it.
Pros
Helping children and families
Cons
Stressful and can be sad
Relaxed and fair
Program Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lonoke, AROctober 5, 2017
DHS is strictly to provide services to the public and those in need. This job was both rewarding and important. Each client and case was unique. The only downside was management.
Stressful
Program Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  ArkansasSeptember 24, 2017
The workload was stressful but I enjoyed the people that I had worked with. We worked as a team. It was a good place to work for and it was rewarding at times.
Environment that encouraged teamwork.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 21, 2017
The Arkansas Department of Human Resources supported teamwork and the development of creative methods to support uninsured and rural populations in Arkansas.
Pros
Teamwork