Arkansas Department of Human Services

Stressful days
Learned rules and regs

Management tries

Strict culture

Daily pace and expectations hardest part

Co workers

Do not want to write anymore. Indeed’s program requires more.
I truly regret leaving this company. My manager and my co-workers were outstanding. The manager allowed you to work independently no interruptions. It was a great place to work. Family environment for sure...no drama.
Loved the people I served. If you want to work at a fast pace Sebastian county is just that. the environment was more of a clique. loved the work. depends on how the office is ran and who is currently running it
Any job with this agency, at least the local county office, is a dead-end. You are underpaid and constantly over-worked, with no real sense of accomplishment or overall purpose.
Very rewarding job, management is very supportive, and hours are good. My supervisor is very good and I love the job that I do. A very good team environment.
Pros
family environment
Cons
limited hours/No Overtime
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Working for this organization has left a bittersweet taste for me on being a government employee. If you are an employee with internal drive, a desire to grow within the organization, and are willing to do the work then there are opportunities for advancement. These opportunities however are dependent on individuals retiring from the jobs you are working so hard to reach. Or your ability to relocate to another part of the state as the agency has not yet adopted modern ideas of tele-work. If you are willing to work hard, they will always give you more work to do. I discovered that they also take no action against individuals who just do the bare minimum. Instead of holding sub satisfactory employees accountable for their productivity, their responsibilities are handed off to another worker who will work extra hard to make up the slack. Also, the (new as of 2018) performance rating system leaves lots of room for improvement and actually awarding high performers. The system in place would work great in small organizations, but when trying to be exceptional in an division with nearly 2000 employees, you have to nearly reinvent the wheel. Sadly, any chance of salary increase is also tied to this performance rating system. There is no cost of living adjustment or other opportunities for base salary increase. The way the department has implemented this rating system and its use of a "bell curve" rating guide means that weak performers get nearly the same pay increase as exceptional performers. I love my job. I love (nearly) all the people I work with. If you are looking for a cozy - more...
The State of Arkansas has a stable working environment and a great work family life ratio. However the work load can be heavy and depending on your job title or unit the the salary does not match the workload.
It was a good job but too long a drive unfortunately and I am not about to move. I tried to transfer for about a year with no luck and took a job that was close to home.
Overworked, underpaid, with comp time you’ll never get to use. You’re behind before you even start your first day. The state refuses to expand and hire more staff and therefore there is an extremely high turnover rate. The mileage reimbursement is helpful and the benefits are good, but poor upper management and political agendas leave kids and clients to fall through the cracks. No one cares about the “little people.
Cowoker messy and is a complete big mouth right alongside the supervisor. A bunch of gossping gertrudes. Besides them others on the building can get thier work done cause they're so worried about what others are doing,to try and get them fired. Had i know i was working for a company like that i never would have worked there. I regret even applying
Liked everything but the salary. Great people to work with. Important work. Great supervision. Great Governor. Great opportunity to be creative. Great staff to work with.
Good place to work benefits & job security. It’s a lot to learn in such a short period of time but a good place to get experience from regarding different programs
Really good job for anyone who is skilled at one on one interactions and is very organized with documents. The pay and benefits are very good. Very deadline focused.
The work environment is good. The people I work with are wonderful. We are a real team. There is very little opportunity for advancement in pay grade.
Very stressful place to work ever! They provide you with the worse equipment possible and expect you to perform a miracle. They don’t value their workers at all, always short staffed and expect you to do a job that 3 people should be doing. They don’t pay you nearly enough for all the work you have to do. Oh and on top of all your work they are constantly having you do different trainings that you don’t really need.
Run!!! Leaving DHS was the best thing I have ever done. It is not worth the stress, management is horrible, no room for growth. I would never go back.
Very stress job. Not enough pay for the hours you work. No appreciation & management rush you to do work that you are not trained in. To work and be successful
Pros
Monday through Friday
Cons
Stressful work too many hours a day sometimes without a lunch break.
I Loved working at DHS in West Memphis. The Staff and Management were great. I Loved working with the children and Families. Teaching Parenting skills to Families. Ensuring the Safety of children in Foster care.
Pros
Working with Great Supervisors and staff
Cons
short breaks
If you cannot handle politics then this is not the place for you. Change occurs based upon whatever the political atmosphere is at the time. Government is directed by whatever administration is in office. If you are passionate about impacting policy then this is where you learn how it happens and then move on. There are some dedicated individuals that have years of knowledge and experience. You can learn a lot about how the state legislature works and how true change happens. The change is not based upon the citizens and you will learn that at the agency.
Pros
There is a lot of flexibility and a lot to be learned.
Cons
Low pay, cronyism, and some incompetent leadership
It was a day by day basis. Some days were relaxed and other days were very busy. But usually I stayed very busy which helped the day go by faster. We were also offered free lunches, and breaks. Overall it was a relaxed environment. We had a lot of team players in the office, which made it a more family like environment. Depending on how many years you had with the state, you were offered so many annual and sick hours.
Pros
The health care
Cons
Sometimes you have to work very long hours, into the early mornings.
Busy, from 8 to 4 , more like a social worker .. You are always on a tight time schedule. You need to be fast efficient and accurate. Sometimes it can be challenging but in the same hand rewarding
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Department of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.