Arkansas Department Of Human Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
requires patience but very rewarding
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 18, 2018
DHS is seldom intended as a final career. It's usually something we all start out in and work to get out. But those who stay will find many career opportunities and the ability to earn good money while serving the public good.

The retirement benefits are better than corporate America and the job security is much better.
Given work to complete without training for that type of work. Instead of the supervisor training a new employee one of the "seasoned employees did .
FSW (Former Employee) –  Ft. Smith, ARJuly 14, 2018
Supervisor more concerned with her college classes and moving up the ladder than about her unit. Supervisor stated daily about this is a priority, however, EVERYTHING was a priority. Little to no recognition for a job well done. Didn't care how many hours or miles you drove, it was never enough. Monthly reports which if a supervisor knows her employees cases, then she could complete them.
Pros
Lunches with employees in my unit.
Cons
too many cases, ad litems asking for crazy things to, no recognition
My dhs
Child Care Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJuly 3, 2018
DHS is a wonderful place to work. I loved the big heart of the employees whether it's charitable events, cool parties around the holidays, etc. I was so honored to work there. I traveled 2-3 times a month to monitor different sites (mostly overnight travel). I wasn't my supervisor's favorite so I was the one that she gave most of the work to. Before I left to start a new job, she found another job. The few weeks that I had a different supervisor was awesome!!!!
Pros
Great lunches, great parties, Off Weekends, Most Holidays
Cons
Some employees didn't know how to park in the parking garage.
Too much stress due to lack of supervisor ability.
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Yellville, ARJune 29, 2018
I received great training in Little Rock but absolutely no training on the job. Supervisor unorganized and looked out for herself ONLY. Was set up to fail and when Superiors notified nothing happened. I screamed for help from all directions...nobody had time or desire to listen or assist.
Pros
Ability to make a difference
Cons
Unorganized and unavailable supervisor
Highly stressful,
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJune 27, 2018
unorganized, lacked updated technology, lacking processes to ensure a efficient and affected work place. Pay does not compensate for the work load, and county supervisor was not encouraging.
Pros
opportunity to assist children who were in need
Cons
being a parent to parents, and children
Bland Dead End
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 26, 2018
There is no culture here, well, it is a dead culture. No room for advancement in a particular field either. I wouldn't apply here again. Unless you are at the top of the ladder, you wont be paid what the position calls for nor will you have an opportunity to increase your pay.
Administrate Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Monticello, ARJune 10, 2018
its an ok job. its a very cut throat environment. my boss was great, while some other bosses need to be let go. if you can't handle stress then this is not a job for you.
Senior Auditor
Senior Auditor (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 24, 2018
This is a great job. I enjoying working with all males. I've learned to audit nursing homes. I've only been here almost a year and so far everything is good so far.
Typical day at work
Human Resources Program Representative (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 23, 2018
You will enjoy working for State Gov. You will learn a lot of customer service skills. You will enjoy helping other. Good job to start off with. But if you are going to stay keep moving up.
Review Summary
Administrative Assistant Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 15, 2018
While working at the Arkansas Department of Human Services, I felt that there was intense racial tension and that I was being subjected to reverse discrimination and that the African American employees were very cold and unfriendly.
Stressful job
Worker (Former Employee) –  ARApril 7, 2018
Stressful, no teamwork, cut throat co-workers and management, very political, high turnover rate, management only hiring their friends and just not satisfying or rewarding.
Benefits
Cons
Long exhausting hours
Boss was threatened by anyone with more education than her.
Program Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berryville, ARMarch 21, 2018
Ten minutes after I walked in the door, my immediate supervisor came in, closed the door and informed me that she didn't want to hire me because of my education level and would find a way to get rid of me at the first given opportunity.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile work environment
The job wasn't what I was expecting
Fiscal Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 13, 2018
I thought that working for the state of Arkansas would be an ideal job to have, but once I go in, things wasn't what I expected. The good thing about working for the state of Arkansas is the retirement package.
Large Organization with lots of politics
Medicaid Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ArkansasMarch 12, 2018
Largest State-wide organization. Lots of politics involved, pay is okay, benefits are good. Work can be rewarding, can be stressful. Most managers are easy to work with.
Government Work
Program Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ozark, ARMarch 10, 2018
It can be a wonderful place to work. I have wonderful and understanding co-workers. Great hours and environment but it can be stressful with much to do, for many in need. Depending on location and position, coupled with willingness to relocate, there are advancement opportunities.
Pros
Great hours and environment
Cons
More work than pay
Wonderful people to work with
DASS RN (Former Employee) –  Madison CountyMarch 3, 2018
Madison Co unit is one of the best places to work. ...excellent people to work with....loved my coworkers...just had an offer to travel that I just could not turn down. .."a once in a life time opportunity "....other wise. I would still be there
Fast pace company. Must be ready to meet and accomodate peopel from national
Local Office Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, ARMarch 2, 2018
A typical consist of answering at least 100 call from clients requesting information regarding their SNAP and Medicaid case.
I have learned in this business that patience is a must and treat everyone equal.
Management differs, each person priorities are different.
The hardest part about the job is workers being in unity. It's hard when a person has a real need and you cannot give help to that person.

The most rewarding part of the day is when I have helped a person and made their day, their lively hood better.
Pros
Annual leave, Sick leave, Birthday leave, Holidays working 8-4:30 of on Saturdays and Sundays
Cons
No bonuses, not a lot of opportunities for growth. Pay scale is low
Stressful place to work
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Warren, ARFebruary 27, 2018
Had a lot of computer issues that prevented clients from receiving services timely. I worked as a Supervisor for people who determined eligibility for government benefits.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Issues arrive for which you have no control.
Terrible place to work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawford County, ARFebruary 13, 2018
I was sexually harassed several times over a period of almost 3 years and supervisors never did anything about it. Very hostile work environment. I was asked to falsify time sheets and client records. Other employees were constantly bashing clients with supervisors in open conversation. Very bad place to work. I was never given a performance evaluation in almost 3 years.
Pros
Little or no supervision
Cons
Ruin people’s lives
Shark bait
County Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waldron, ARJanuary 30, 2018
When you begin with Economic Services for DHS they make it appear that you will be able to handle the work load. However, the only people that seem to handle the work load are those who don't care about the clients. If you care about the clients and what happens to them you will probably not be able to get your work done, which leads to being harassed by supervisors.
I would not recommend working at DHS to anyone whether I liked them or not.
Run away from these people as fast as you can.
Pros
Vacation, Sick days and holidays
Cons
Poorly chosen supervisors