Arkansas Game and Fish Commission

Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Employee Reviews

United States23 reviews
The People Make it Fun
Typical government job issues - ineffeciency is always an uphill battle - but there is a wide variety of great field experience opportunities, quality people, and very good health benefits.
Productive environment that incorporates efficient and effective teamwork between employees.
I was extremely pleased with the job I held with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. I would be happy to be part of their program again. As a line judge I would typically ready my field for the days events by moving shells, eyes, ears, and sunscreen to my assigned trap field. The hardest part of the job was the large work flow of participants on and off the field. The most enjoyable part of the job was the coming together at the end of the day with co-workers and friends to enjoy a provided meal and optional housing.
Great experience for animal husbandry/handling, as well as an intro to conservation education
The job itself could be amazing; you are in an important position to teach people the importance of our natural resources, by working with animals and in the outdoors on occasion. I was fortunate to be able to work here. However, the management is awful. For both the animals and part-time employees, one could never count on most of the supervising staff for any but the most basic tasks. They claimed to be flexible with college class scheduling and events but were not, even far in advance. With this, the opportunities to impact the public in the realm of conservation education still existed and made the job worth it for the months I was there.
Good job if you are straight out of college but it does not offer a competitive salary. It can be a good experience if you are seeking a career as a full-stack developer. Roles might go beyond the job description.
Great place to work!
Coworkers are family! Happy, encouraging and family friendly environment. The hours are flexible and you are able to schedule around your needs within reason. Great position for a college student or mom who wants a little part time gig that is flexible.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
The people
The people are one of the reasons I am not fortunately in a desperate situation to change jobs. My co-workers, my supervisor, my department, I enjoy working with every single one of them. However, there is no advancement opportunity available like there are in other departments. No matter what new skills I bring to the company, upper management doesn't care and we have zero backing with the decision makers in the company.
Great Place to Intern
I really enjoyed my time as the education intern here. It gave me the push I needed to become more outgoing and outspoken. During the summer, everything is quick paced, but it is also pretty laid back.
Good place to work. Great people. Excellent benefits. Fast paced. Team work is a must. Professional environment. Salary could be slightly better. Great outreach programs.
Fun, learning enviorment
The best job i ever had. Learn something new everyday, family type environment.. Weekends and most holidays are off. Friendly Clean and happy place to be meeting new people, sometimes forgetting your at work
Pros
Employee appreciation Days.. Work Major events in the city, Great benefits
Cons
Salary start low
I enjoyed working here. Of course, there are issues but if you do your job and don't participate in drama and gossip, it's a great place to work. The supervisors are very understanding of real-world obligations and are liberal with giving employees time off. It is so far the best employer I have had.
Had to be a life not a job. Law Enforcement is a difficult profession. You have to be good at customer service along with confidence to enforce the laws of the state. A difficult balance to achieve. Takes a special person.
Pros
Work in the outdoor
Cons
On call 24 hours a day
Excellent work enviornment
I learned a lot about the wildlife in Arkansas as well as rehabilitation for injured or orphaned wildlife. Management was awesome and worked around my school schedule without any problems.
Pros
Lots of downtime to study for school.
Cons
Part time pay wasn't enough.
It was an amazing job
I really enjoyed working outdoors on my own time, my boss was hilarious and really nice.the job payed great! I really enjoyed working this position until I moved.
Pros
I had alot of fun working this position
Cons
It was hot outdoors
Just great. I loved working here. The job does not let you down. You will learn more in a single summer then all of your college classes. If you get the chance apply for these internships
Pros
Being out side
Cons
Really hard to get
Intern
I was an intern so I do not have the insight your are looking for. I would suggest this job to anyone not worried about starting salary because it is a government agency.
Horrible
They will treat you nice at first and then they will stab you in the back once you are comfortable in your job. Dispatch officers, fisheries, and wildlife management personnel. Answer questions from the public
Not a place to work for, specially the IT dept
They have no clue what they are doing and pay people nothing and don't care about you or your family. The Management dosent care about you. No training
Cons
Easy job with nice people
Easy job. Nice people. Some office politics. Some room for advancement. Once you move up a few positions there's not much more room for promotions.
great opportunity.
it was the best experience of my life. i learned so much the people was so good an humble. i learned stuff about nature an buizzness. the place was amazing.
Enjoyable outdoor
As a Wildlife Officer, it was my responsibility to enforce all Arkansas Game and Fish regulations as well as boating laws. I have written numerous newspaper and magazine articles concerning wildlife. I have appeared in court numerous times to support arrests. I learned how to be a professional officer and enjoyed working with the other officers. The hardest part of the job getting up in the night to investigate complaints concerning illegal activities. I enjoyed working outdoors and on the water as well as working with others.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
Late night investigations.
very political work environment
The personnel who manage fish and wildlife and enforce regulations are among the best anywhere. In contrast, the management in the HQ office is awful. Decisions affecting employees are made not in what is best for the resources of the state, but by personal politics of supervisors. Employee morale suffers as a result. I'm glad that I no longer work in that environment.
Pros
management of fish and wildlife at superior levels
Cons
low pay vs. private sector equivalent jobs; terrible upper level supervisors
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3