Arkwin Industries Employee Reviews

Arkwin work experience as a Sr. Supplier Quality Engineer and QE to GE Engines
Sr. Supplier Quality Engineer and QE to GE Engines (Former Employee) –  State Street, Westbury, N.Y.January 28, 2019
My employment with Arkwin Industries was brief: Dec. 2012 thru Dec. 2013, as a QE/SQE reporting directly to the Director of Product Quality. However, I was interjected in to the many day-to-day design, manufacturing, test, customers, suppliers and failure analysis (internal/external). I regret tingly resigned from Arkwin and returned to Florida for family concerns. I really hated to leave, my last day there was just before the New Year and the director had to come and get me because I didn’t want to turnover my responsibility till I had tied him in to all my records, transactions and engineering notes.

My boss was an intelligent, fair, generous, wonderful, supportive, and exceedingly knowledgeable within all aspects of Arkwin’s Engineering Design, Manufacturing Engineering, Procurement, Quality, Compliance Auditors (3rd party FAA, AS9100, customers etc.) and all the entire customer base: foreign, domestic, private, military, etc. and our suppliers.

As for the internal processing, assembly, test and daily manufacturing of product... the Director of Quality, Product Integrity was the backbone and reason for Arkwin’s success during his tenure. However, overall, whether I dealt w/director of Design Engineering (JD), Finance, Quality, Manufacturing/Test, it was always enjoyable and we always progressed as a team successfully delivering a quality product, reliable, safe, within budget and delivered on-time.

Loved the work environment, the people and the team concept. It was a close knit company (family-like), but yet a world class manufacturer of hydraulic and fuel systems
  more... w/many proprietary designs in all aircraft: civilian, commercial, foreign, domestic and military, as a supporter to space exploration with NASA commercial flight systems and a huge supplier to the U.S. Manned Space Flight program, Space Shuttle at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida. Overall the Arkwin Company I worked for that time period was excellent and I would have recommended it to anyone.

However, Arkwin has since been purchased by a large corporation TransDigm Inc. This new corporation has had an impact on the Sr. Management and Executives with Arkwin Industries and some have since seeked employment elsewhere for various reasons. This paradigm /corporate acquisition has significantly impacted Arkwin in many positive aspects of hydraulic & fuel manufacturing, but has also changed the employee and employer relationship dramatically.

I still feel it’s a wonderful company even though it’s lost some of its family-like atmosphere. If you seek/interview for a potential position with Arkwin/TransDigm, I’d ask that you do your homework, ask the right questions during the interview and perhaps screen a few Arkwin employees on LinkedIn.

God Speed Arkwin… To the corporation, the Berlin Family, the remaining Arkwinite Alumni at TransDigm, those Arkwinites who have since succeeded elsewhere (A.I.) in the industry and all the wonderful friends I made at Arkwin.
Pros
Loved working for the Director of Product Integrity. Visiting Suppliers, resolving manufacturing issues and concerns.
Cons
None, none & none!
Bagel Fridays
Manager Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYDecember 3, 2018
It was very busy as we built fuel and hydro actuators for everything flying today. I learned a lot about what the FAA needs to be able to bring these to the aircraft industry. It was a great place to work. FAA audits were the hardest thing that had to be done. The people were the best thing about the job. We were family.
Pros
Begalk Fridays
Very demanding, deadline oriented factory setting
Production and Test Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYJuly 23, 2018
A typical day at work is to arrive 5 minutes early to punch in on time. Get to your designated area and start working off a blueprint. A bell would get you started with the day and alert you to breaks and lunches. The company consisted of many different ethnicities and cultures, which always fascinated me, While I was there, I studied Spanish on my own to try and better communicate. Some of my peers would help me try to learn and correct my mistakes. The hardest part of the job was the competitiveness, not much teamwork. There was a very old time feel to working here. The most enjoyable part of this job was the holiday time off and overtime options.
Pros
Diversity, culture, fast paced, focused learning, always challenging
Cons
Short breaks, competition between employess for fear of job loss, communication tactics
Review
Industrial Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYMay 23, 2018
Was brought in as an intern. Really nice people to work with. Got really good at excel and spreadsheets. Management is really nice and checks in on you if you need anything
tech
Hydraulic Technician (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYFebruary 17, 2018
A hydraulic mechanic performs the task of repairing and maintaining hydraulic equipment. It is necessary to have proficient knowledge of mechanical repairing and construction equipment for working in this profile. The job responsibilities of these professionals include diagnosing, repairing, repairing defect equipment, and performing preventive maintenance.
Pros
place
Cons
benefits, pay
Finance (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYJanuary 15, 2018
The people are helpful, but being short-staffed is standard so nobody has time to train you properly. The lack of people also leads to departments being overloaded with work and over-stressed. If you can learn on the fly and stay on your toes, you can be successful. It's a good company, strong business practices, and largely competent management.
Pros
Benefits, lots of room for advancement
Cons
Short-staffed, work can be overloaded
Good Place to work
Manufacturing/Senior Tooling Engineer (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYOctober 19, 2017
It was great company culture to work for before the company was sold. It's still a good company to work for but very little room for advancement. Advancement in the company is based on years on years of service not on performance. Good place for younger engineers to learn and move on. Compensation is sub-par and raises and benefits were slashed since the company was sold. For the most part management is good and reasonable.
Pros
Good place for younger professionals to start their career
Cons
No opportunity for advancement
Too busy for less pay
Hydraulics Technician (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYOctober 1, 2017
Even if you put 20 hours of overtime you wont make that much money in this company. It is nice enviroment however you are working with people who do not have a system in place.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Bad Management
Dying slowly
Team Leader/Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYFebruary 25, 2017
New management ownership killing off once productive and thriving business. Great co-workers, previously good work environment now a shell of its former self, being dismantled.
Pros
good people
Cons
bad management
Mixed opinion about Arkwin.
Contracts Manager/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYDecember 28, 2016
I was hired as the clerk, I ended up doing someone else job and was never properly compensated. That other person was making double what I was and was just sitting there. Partly they did not properly pay for women to work there, mainly why I left.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Company with many double standards
Productive and fun work day
Hydraulic Technician (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYNovember 27, 2016
Work has to be on time and correct. With all fun and jokes aside, Arkwin is a great place to learn, excel and become a great technician. Work hours are good and breaks are good also. There is a lot of overtime that is offered which is good. Co workers and management get along well.
Pros
Free lunch at meetings
Cons
Great people to work with
Hydraulic Technician (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYOctober 5, 2016
The peopel I was working with in the test department were some of the best people I have ever worked with. Our Supervisor also was an amazing leader. He cared about us and stood up for us with upper management.
Pros
Great workers
Cons
New owners took over.
Stress free environment
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYFebruary 17, 2016
Clean,organized,safe wokplace.Good working conditions.
I got experience on horizontal nc mills.
Typical work day is operating and setting up cnc vertical and horizontal milling centers.
Company is currently mordernizing and downsizing work force.
It was a nice job to start off in but I got laidoff so can only like it so much
Hydraulic Technician (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYJanuary 27, 2016
My boss was great, good guy straight to the point. Typical day was a little different everyday. Worked on units fun, learned about something new, testing, inspecting, repairing. Was an FAA repair station you had to know little bit of everything. Co-workers good people.
productive, fast pace
Aircraft Component Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYMay 31, 2015
Good place to work. Management could improve. Great co-workers. Work is constant most of the year. Company has a variety of buildings, would be better if company was under one building.
Great work environment.
Quality Assurance Testing Technician (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYJanuary 18, 2015
Great work environment with friendly co-workers, and reasonable management.
Great place to be introduced to Aviation Maintenance
Manager of Compliance and Lean Products (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYAugust 12, 2014
The repair station has a diverse admin staff and maintenance crew. Arkwin will train you to perform the job needed. This is a company that frequently employs new principles to remain on the cutting ede of aviation providing the customer with an air worthy product as quickly as possible

Meticulousness is the name of the game, you are expected to come each day ready to give 100 %. Arkwin fosters a relaxed atmosphere. It is believed that since employees are spending so much time at the job to achieve planned goals, the environment must be one where they are comfortable working in.
Pros
As an MRO facility it is great having the OEM across the way.
Cons
As most jobs it can become very repetitive.
okay job
Parts Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYJune 13, 2014
Regular 7-4 job, with alot of overtime. management a little shacky but overall a good place to work
Pros
alot of overtime
Cons
Bought out by bigger company
i enjoy working a great company & employees that are best friends
Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYJuly 10, 2013
very deticated work place the enjoyment of working with great friends
Nice place to work
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYJune 12, 2012
I enjoy working here. I am looking for something more challenging and better financially for me.
Pros
works with your schedule
Cons
would like more money