Arlington County
Happiness rating is 66 out of 100

Arlington County Employee Reviews

United States210 reviews

countygovernmentcommunitybenefitdepartmentsupervisorprovidecareer

The good is that we get to break in between shifts but the bad thing is we need eight hours a day and get paid more money

Arlington County Public Schools don't pay us enough for our company we are on the page we don't have enough hours we need at least get 8 hours a day and get paid more money for the job that we do dealing with kids on a daily basis with this covid is really a challenge every day when you come to work we don't never know when we going to catch covet I wanted to students on the bus

Parks and Recreation are excellent employers

I'm pleased with my new career with Arlington County Parks and Recreation. I'm sure I'll grow and thrive with this great group of folks. It's refreshing to find this sheet coming from the public school classroom where management is inexperienced or overly influenced by negative corporate forces looking to sabotage our education system.

Arlington County insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Great work place and Co-workers

One of the best places to work. Great communities throughout Arlington and people. Co-workers are also great once you build a bond with them and they seeyou are committed to preforming your duties.

Unfortunate that benefits are good as the culture in very poor.

Extremely frustrating work place in Parks & Rec as the upper management knows nothing about the work to be done and doesn’t work hard themselves. Large discrepancies in salary from the people who actually do the work and those who “supervise.” Punitive culture rather than supporting employees and training them. HR is not helpful.

Pros

Good benefits.

Cons

Poor leadership that is non-supportive. Work is done endlessly in circles. So much red tape, impossible go accomplish goals.

ACSO needs to find ways to retain staff. Too much overtime.

ACSO needs to find ways to retain their staff and post-academy deputies. Staff leaving to other agencies looking for better a pay and less overtime. You could be overwhelmed with OT, unless you are looking for that extra money. Most supervisors are supportive.

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Too much overtime. Staff leaving to other agencies.

Government entity. Work/life balance oriented. Salaries are very low. Vacation/Sick leave is great.

Government entity that cares about their employees and residents. My department goes above and beyond to satisfy and complete all sorts of requests. Great employer in terms of vacation/sick leave and very flexible.

Good government work

Working for the county is about as good as you can get for government work. They compensate pretty well, train you, good work life balance. I loved working here but the mere are so many people there forever that there’s little room for growth.

Good Benefits

Therapists are stretched thin due to high turnover rates but there are good benefits and it will be a good place to get supervision hours and training.

Career growth limited

Government is not nimble enough to keep up with trends. Burnout high due to fast pace. HR is hypocritical, setting expectations for rest of agency they don’t follow themselves. Leadership is reactive versus proactive. Only good thing lately is due to forced telework is a culture shift to embrace more of this work/life balance in some non-traditional careers that are public facing. Years of bureaucracy and red tape stifles creativity and sows discord for high performers especially when other employees coast.

Pros

Positive Culture depending on department

Cons

Hypocrisy and inconsistently applied standards

High Quality services

The county provides amazing services to clients, however the work can be very demanding and the expectations from management can seem unrealistic at times for clinicians. The salary is not competitive considering what you can make in private practice.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Poor work/life balance

Salary

You can’t beat the pay. There is also occasional opportunity for overtime which is really sweet at time and a half. The management is supportive and frequently asks for staff feedback.

Pros

Supportive management

Cons

Long days

Potential to Improve

Being a County Government, the taxpayers are the focus with budget concerns. Public Safety on paper was allocated a lot of money. In reality the personnel budget for Emergency Communications was inadequate to provide adequate staffing which affected stress,workload and retention.

Pros

Challenging, rewarding

Cons

Inadequate staffing, stress

Ever-changing

There are so many opportunities for training and development. There has been a freeze of raises due to COVID, but that's standard these days. I really like how the county is making strives to become more inclusive and diverse.

Progressive environment

The progressive and inclusive environment fostered by the Arlington county government is magnificent. The idea of being a part of a team is fostered on a daily basis! The support of employees through training manifested in a great culture full of growth and accomplishments.

Pros

Additional training and certifications immediately increased salary

Productive place to work

Productive and great place to work Teleworking advantage Open door policy with some Bureau ChievesNice benefits Nice floating hoursSick leave paid

Very Good place to work

Cool place, and lots of talented people. Well work-life balanced, well paid, well management. Good living area, obvisouly arlington is the best, people are kind

Employeee

Worst place ever, I hate it, they rude, pay is low, can’t take off days, dress code awful, no remote options, no raises or bonuses, Don’t waste your time RUN!

Cons

Many employees are very overworked. benefits are good, pay is ok.

Mgmt pays a lot of lip service to "self care" but then employees are overloaded with way too much work. Mgmt does not listen much of the time to employee concerns/ view points. too many trainings, initiatives, etc.

Pros

some amazing coworkers

Cons

the awful coworkers are not held to account

Arlington was a great place to work and grow a very successful career. The department, county and most importantly the people are great and very helpful to a young officer successful throughout their career. The department offers numerous career opportunities and pathways to succeed. Tuition assistance is available for continued education. Overall, a great place to work and grow...!!

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Some members of management but that's everywhere

Productive place to worki

I have been with the county for over 10 years part time and feel that the work environment is like a small family. Like many of my coworkers, I started as a volunteer and worked my way up the ladder as a seasonal employee.

Great job for part time employee

I was part-time employee and had a good experience. I had a public engagement role and I loved meeting and helping County residents. Everyone I met who worked for the County was kind and enthusiastic about making Arlington a better place. However, as a part-time temp, I found it difficult to be hired into a full time position and receive full benefits. Additionally, because it's a County position, pay rates were not up for much negotiation though I was paid well above minimum wage. It was for this reason I left to pursue other work, but I hold the staff of Arlington in high regard.

Pros

Great coworkers, decent wage

Cons

Part time workers do not receive benefits and will not be "promoted up"

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arlington County. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.7Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight