Arlington County Employee Reviews

Challenge
Energy Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 30, 2018
My job is good. I am very Satisfied apart from discussions of budgeting process.The team are very wonderful and loved what they do. Arlington County is a great place to work.
Productive and rewarding
Program Manager, Senior Adult Mental Health (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 3, 2018
Program manager of three mental health programs. Supervised psychiatrists, psychologists, mental health therapists and psychiatric nurse. As an LCSW I also had 15 clients. A great place to work and helping individuals was rewarding,
Pros
A good and rewarding place to work. Help so many people
Cons
can be political
Difficult Work Environment
On-Call Emergency Services Therapist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 2, 2018
The work environment at Arlington County was somewhat difficult as many of the team members of my division had difficulty adjusting to changes in the system. This made it difficult to employ the quality of service the County was promoting for those working in Emergency Services.
Pros
Free use of the gym
Cons
Work schedules were not conducive for professionals striving to offer quality services, unfair expectations
above avg. benefits some work groups great some not so
Motor Vehicle Operator / supervisor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 29, 2018
overall a good place to work lots of training available but it is up to you're supervisor & job requirements weather you can attend classes. benes. are very good equipment such as vehicles & computers ect. are replaced & upgraded frequently. lots depends on what job & work group you are in some are very good some are not.
Pros
leave health insurance training
Cons
during my time there they added lots of rules for employees.
no training learn as you go
Waste water street technician II (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 27, 2018
No true leadership , most workers goofing off, no advancement , have to learn routes without any formal training , management issues; work not spread across the board.
Pros
laid back job
Cons
lack of leadership
Eligibility Worker (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 25, 2018
I am very comfortable and happy with Arlington County’s work philosophy. Work life balance is excellent and telework is available for some positions. There is good teamwork and direction.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Chances for advancement can be limited
Productive Fun, work place
Data Entry/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 8, 2018
They where very upfront and had the work load given to us. We worked in a group and input data, organized and filed. There was a lot to do in little amount of time and we did it and it was a smooth flow with every body doing their best to finish the tasks at hand. It was very detailed and was great place to work.
Pros
Practiced what we learned in Microsoft Office
Cons
Eventhough we had the skills, we needed to learn their program and it was great.
If you want Police work in an suburban setting, then this is your place
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 9, 2018
Interested in Law Enforcement? Wanting to challenge yourself and learn what it is that makes you get up in the morning? This is the place for all your esoteric fulfillment. This job will challenge you and help you get a better understanding of your "why?' in Life. It was a Blessing and a Lesson.
Pros
The job was exactly what you wanted or could possibly make it to be.
Cons
Stressful, lack of camaraderie
Good place for work
Paid Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22204June 23, 2018
Checking and repair computers printers scanners in the helper center in arlington.
Buckingham community center helping to open new email for the new people arriving to the center
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Break 1 hour
I recommend
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 1, 2018
I was mainly in charge of the batting cages at Upton Hill. It was a pretty laid back job, sometimes customers got pretty agitated with the helmet rule, but we always handled it professionally.
Productive & Fast Paced
Treasury Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 18, 2018
Very busy productive environment. Meet great ambitious, professional colleagues
Great work & home life balance. Great benefits, healthcare, family events and parking.
Pros
Recognize potential
Cons
Interesting place to work, one that is dedicated to public service.
Chief of Police (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 12, 2018
Arlington County is an outstanding place to work. It is the county that is dedicated to providing the highest level of service to its community. The Arlington County government is very aware of the needs of its community and strives to be as inclusive as possible in the decision-making processes that guide life within the county. For those interested in working in Arlington County, you must be willing to be collaborative and creative in your day-to-day operations. The County seeks to maximize its resources and be responsive to its citizens, almost to a fault.
Pros
Engaged, urban and vibrant.
Cons
The public can be extremely demanding, service level is very high..
Not a bad place to work
Public Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 14, 2017
I enjoyed my time here overall. The division I was in was a little limited interms of career advancement. Overall the upper management had a lot of turnover which wasnt always a good thing.
Benefits
Cons
Long work hours unpredictiable overtime
Great place to work!
Program staff (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 26, 2017
I worked as a seasonal employee at county summer camps. As a summer employee, I didn't qualify for benefits or compensation, but I thought my hourly wages were fair. I advanced each summer. The full-time staff were friendly and supportive, and the job culture was great.
Pros
Fun, positive work environment
hardworking
Meter Repair (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 22, 2017
Drive to residence in the Arlington County area and check on their water meters. Record meter amount and do repairs if needed. Report back to manager.
Not Stressful, but the money sucks
ASSISTANT COUNTY SURVEYOR (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 7, 2017
Not enough money, but the benefits are very good. If you want a safe job this is the place for you. Working in a government environment does not have much opportunity for career growth.
This is a company with no moral's to their employee's
Human Service Aide V (Current Employee) –  Arlington County, VAAugust 17, 2017
Overall just not a good fit for people to work, if you do not have connections. There is not respect for their employees or their client's. I rather not share anything further.
Arlington County is great!
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22202July 13, 2017
The County offers many benefits to employees and encourages work-life balance. I have never worked for a government organization that has so many options for employees. It's such a great place to work!
Lift Station Operator (Former Employee) –  Arlington County, VAMay 12, 2017
Managers may or may not have a clue as to your job but for the most time let you do what you should and don't bother you. The training is great and Job security can't be beat.
Forward Thinking and Productive Workplace
Administrative Assistant lll (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 27, 2017
A typical day includes many interactions with consumers that cover the entire DMV area. One can move throughout the county through advancements and provides amazing benefits for full-time and part time employees. I truly love working for the county and their many opportunities for growth in your professional development.
Pros
Breaks, Free Professional Development Trainings, Quick Advancements

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arlington County. Our community is ready to answer.

Arlington County Reviews by Location