Arlington County logo
Arlington County

Arlington County Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location.
Not your desired location?Choose a different one

Team/Interdisiplinary Approach

Great place to work. We worked 9am-5pm. I learned a great deal about mental health and motivational interviewing. The work place culture was pleasant and everyone worked together. I enjoyed working with the clients and providing encouragement to facilitate treatment adherence.

Productive place to work

Productive and great place to work Teleworking advantage Open door policy with some Bureau ChievesNice benefits Nice floating hoursSick leave paid

Very Good place to work

Cool place, and lots of talented people. Well work-life balanced, well paid, well management. Good living area, obvisouly arlington is the best, people are kind

Many employees are very overworked. benefits are good, pay is ok.

Mgmt pays a lot of lip service to "self care" but then employees are overloaded with way too much work. Mgmt does not listen much of the time to employee concerns/ view points. too many trainings, initiatives, etc.

Pros

some amazing coworkers

Cons

the awful coworkers are not held to account

Arlington was a great place to work and grow a very successful career. The department, county and most importantly the people are great and very helpful to a young officer successful throughout their career. The department offers numerous career opportunities and pathways to succeed. Tuition assistance is available for continued education. Overall, a great place to work and grow...!!

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Some members of management but that's everywhere

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Great job for part time employee

I was part-time employee and had a good experience. I had a public engagement role and I loved meeting and helping County residents. Everyone I met who worked for the County was kind and enthusiastic about making Arlington a better place. However, as a part-time temp, I found it difficult to be hired into a full time position and receive full benefits. Additionally, because it's a County position, pay rates were not up for much negotiation though I was paid well above minimum wage. It was for this reason I left to pursue other work, but I hold the staff of Arlington in high regard.

Pros

Great coworkers, decent wage

Cons

Part time workers do not receive benefits and will not be "promoted up"

It is what you make it

I am currently in my FTO phase at the ACPD. This is not the worst place I've ever worked, but I do find it difficult to want to like working here. The job itself isn't the issue, it's the people... but I guess every work environment has its personnel issues.

Pros

Benefits, Retirement plan

Cons

Low morale, comradery

Eh, it's a job

As a Deputy Sheriff with ACSO you get limited access to real law enforcement activities. If you're lucky enough to get with the warrants section (which is extremely limited and difficult to get into) or work overtime on the Clerendon detail, you're not going to be performing law enforcement functions. You will spend the majority of your career working in the jail, dealing with idiotic morons all day (inmates). You'll spend your shift passing out toilet paper and telling grown men (or women) how to follow rules since they can't seem to follow them. You will however, make 20k over your base salary with OT and shift diff

Pros

Pay/Benefits

Cons

Everything else

Great Place to Work

Arlington County is a great place to work and retire from. It's a great opportunity for your 2nd career and a perfect job to start a career with. Great benefit, work-from-home options.

Not a fun place to work for me.

I think that there were some racial issues that could not be addressed because, I think that I was viewed as "the angry black woman". I did not feel comfortable talking to the current manager as I found her unwilling to hear any concerns and would behave as though it was a personal attack on her. She appeared to want things to look wonderful on the surface and was unable to tolerate anything that might tarnish that image.

Pros

good compensation

Cons

condescending manager

Jobs at Arlington County

See more jobs

Great place to work and benefits

No complaints, training helps you to excel. Great staff and supervisors were really supportive. Co-workers were really helpful throughout my training.

Benefits

Cons

Rotating shifts

Best job I have had to date

Great culture at Arlington County. The county pays a fair wage, has great retirement benefits(401K and a pension plan) and cares for their employees.

Great opportunity if you want job security

Apply when openings are available and when you are in learn as much as you can. They will train you in many fields from customer services to parks and leisure.

Fun and friendly coworkers but terrible management

The work environment is very friendly and fun between coworkers. Most get their work done. No place for advancement, only offer part time positions, and the higher ups don't care about their employees. Only some facility managers and assistant managers care about their staff. Some staff are incompetent and other staff get their jobs done accordingly.

Great Benefits

Most of the jobs are in the correctional division, so there is little room for growth. Due to the schedule there are opportunities for overtime. Working the night shift gives ample opportunity to complete school work.

Inclusive, supportive, caring work culture

Arlington County DHS, however, is a department within the County stucture that truly cares for both it's constituents and it's employees. It works proactively toward process, product and program improvement.

Easy job, communication, and management could get better

Management couldn't do better with communication. Some people there will do anything to get a head. The cultural there is messed up there. You can get fired for smoking in a vehicle before you get fired for not doing any work.

Free lunch for employees.

Overall OK employer. Discrimination is present but keep in mind discrimination is no absent in any department. Supervisors have been given lots of powers over line staff which make them to abuse all authorities.

depends

depends. Depends on department. Many still don't have a telework option alleging that the position cannot telework. Anyone that does not work in on the street should have a telework option.

Glad to have worked at ACG

Very smart people there. I was in good company. Always something to do. Good work life balance. Only thing to hate was the commute. People are friendly there

It was an amazing opportunity working with multiple lawyers citizens

My job was assistant administration as multiple task in attending lawyers, summons, fine , file documents into computer and give to Lawer’s to sign etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arlington County. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.7Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight