Arlington Public Schools Employee Reviews

27 years was enough. My children and family members attended for school career.
Special Education Teacher and Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 11, 2018
Changing very fast due to growth . Very bureaucratic in recent 5 years. I was using my other training and skills instead of actually teaching. High Stress
Pros
Affluent, provides excess technology and requirements for training applicable to other fields
Cons
Very stressful pace as emphasis on tests, Social Media and learning new technology as all kids using IPad or Mac Air given to each student
a good place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 19, 2018
the Arlington public school is a good place to work
Great internship year experience
School Psychology Student and Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, MAMay 30, 2018
Wonderful supervisor, who provide high quality supervision. Caring and dedicated school staff, families that were involved, and students that worked well with me
Pros
Completed my pre-practicum, practicum, and internship hours
Cons
No salary provided
It is so rewarding to go to work and be surrounded by love all around me! It is such an honor to be able to help students while they are in my care.
Distance Learning Specialist/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 26, 2018
During a typical day at work I monitor student progress and needs through daily contact with them. I serve as a liaison between the student, the school and virtual instructors and supervisors regarding student performance and progress. When needed, I proctor tests and examinations. I work with the local technology staff to ensure that all students have access to the appropriate technology. I retrieve and provide the school with student grades on locally designated dates. There is no part of the job that is hard. The most enjoyable part of the job is my students. I love each and every one of them. We learn from each other. They have made me a better person/parent. I am truly going to miss them when I retire.
Pros
Student interaction
Cons
Hard to live with this salary
Special Education, Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 20, 2018
APS is a nice place to work for if you have a second income that is high. The salaries are very low. The current superintendent is a poor leader. He has taken a wonderful school system and has turned it into a bad place to be. Most people leave for lack of leadership, horrible salaries and little incentive to stay.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
horrible salaries
The food service is not a good environment at all.
Food Nutrition Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 17, 2018
You are constantly overwork, sent workers with no skill at all you do your daily shift plus train which is not under your job title. The supervisor are not fair only pretend to be kind until you make them mad.
Pros
the children are feed daily.
Cons
bad work environment not good for your health.
Do As I Say Not As I Do Management
Sr Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22207April 11, 2018
The Full-Time Management does not lead by example. They always seem to have some excuse (often very lame) why they do not meet the high exceptions they place on their subordinates. Could be part of the reason they can't retain many good staff members.
Loved it
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 29, 2018
I love working with children. I enjoyed working for APS the culture was fabulous. The Teaching staff at the different schools were always friendly. I never had a problem!
Love it!
Extended Day Aide (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 14, 2018
Kids can be a handful to work with but you have to have patience and you'll get through it. We have planned activities that is age appropriate, supervise and plan major events.
Fun place to work with kids and colleagues
Extended Day Aide/Recess and Safety Staff (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 12, 2018
Management staff from board of education office to the management at the school I worked at should be moved around to prevent complacent work behavior
Pros
The Kids and Colleagues
Cons
Benefits and Management Staff
great place
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 8, 2018
If chosen to right school and everyone works together its awesome. You have to stay on top of it and make the staff understands that there are rules just like any other establishment.
Extended Day Aide (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 16, 2018
This is a wonderful place to work, great coworkers and great management. We have any issues we work as a team to resolve it. There is always communication between staff and management. Would recommend to anyone.
Creating fun relationships with the students
Extended Day Aide (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 21, 2017
You get to know the school teacher's students. Working for an extended day you're the first and last person the students see throughout the day. You get to know your students on a personal level. You get to have fun with them every day and learn something new about yourself and them, The workplace is very diverse and every school site is different in their own way. One hard thing is keeping an accurate count of yall your students usually every school has 100-200 children in an extended day. I learned a lot of patience and leadership because the students look up to you as a certain role model they watch everything you to and copy it, so you'll have to be careful around them.
Pros
Fun, something different every day
Cons
stressful
arlington city schools
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington, OHDecember 4, 2017
I love this job pay good money good have 401k good place for working nice people very good schools district , my job and Arlington city schools is maintenance , custodial
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 3, 2017
Small group instruction
Learned better classroom management skills and task orientation with children
management is fair and great leadership
workplace is friendly welcoming and very warm towards everyone
hardest part of the job is the high volumes of children ratio to adults
Productive and collaborative working environment!
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 10, 2017
I continue to find the school district to be extremely collaborative and enriched with resources to best support optimal student learning. Each student has individualized learning instruction to help reach their highest potential.
Rewarding place to work, management is difficult
Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 7, 2017
I had a wonderful experience working at Arlington Public Schools with my first manager. When we were given a new manager, this person was not flexible and favored employees she hired over those who had worked for the old manager.
Great
English Language Arts Teacher (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 26, 2017
Very supportive work environment that fosters continual learning and growth as educators. Many opportunities to push yourself are offered in order to challenge yourself and increase your abilities as an educator.
Life with kids
Information Technology Aid/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 14, 2017
By far one of the best jobs I have worked! Duties included being a teachers aide for grades 1st-5th. Great workers that really work as a team and very family oriented. Will defiantly recommend to anyone starting off in the educational field if you are not a teacher yet!
Pros
Great schools
Cons
Just a little bit more pay and Hours
Great place to work with excellent systems in place
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 24, 2017
Typical teacher work day. Flexible with after school meeting hours, school culture is great and students are awesome. Pay is competitive and benefits are ok.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arlington Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Arlington Public Schools Reviews by Location