Armed Forces Services Corporation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Afsc
Master Resilience Trainer - Performance Expert (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2018
The job has potential to be much more than it is. You have to take initiative and remain self-motivated in order to sustain your growth and development. Get used to being a number and being undervalued (despite productivity, integrity, work ethic, etc.). Work for the Soldiers and giving back, otherwise your loyalty to the company will result in fruitlessness.
Pros
Flex hours, population in which to work with, experience
Cons
Replaceable, no advancement, undervalued, devalued, underappreciated
Fun, amazing management, supportive, and hated to leave them!
Lead Home Visitor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 30, 2018
If contracts had not cut salary so low, I would have stayed. Amazing company to work with! Hours were flexible, and with flex time, vacation days were rarely ever needed.
Review of Position
Administrative Support to SAPR (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 14, 2018
I enjoyed my job and fellow colleagues. Lacked proper management and job work/life balance. Some days it was challenging. Administrative work for a staff of 50 or more was time-consuming yet rewarding. Dealing with conflict clients was hardest part.
OK place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 14, 2018
This is an overall ok place to work depending on which department you work in. They are growing yes but upper management by be losing their way in staying in contact and keeping their staff up tp date on changes and new opportunities in the company pipeline.
Pros
Ok benefits
Cons
Upper management
Productive staff
Master Resilience Trainer-Performance Expert (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJune 6, 2018
Great place to work. Depending on your installation, your day to day may look very different.
Hard to make connection with "higher ups"
Decent benefits package.
The job is great but the contractor had a lot to learn
Accredited Financial Counselor (Current Employee) –  VAJune 6, 2018
Love the job but the pay did not match my experience and education level. This company is a govt contractor which is now Magellan Corp. The culture is getting better though. Once they merged with Magellan it seems that benefits are starting to enhance. I lost a lot of money when they first took over the Family Support contract. 2 years later and still haven't caught back up. Getting travel claims paid out is a nightmare. You pay out of your own pocket to meet the needs of the contract, but they are extremely slow and difficult with the reimbursement process. It takes over a month each time I travel to get refunded. This can be improved on. But the culture of the company is great.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay is iffy
Get Your Exeperience Then Leave
Assistant Facility Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22206June 4, 2018
Was great to gain experience and get a clearance other than this AFSC is just an employer to pass through. Most don't stay beyond a year due to low wages with no retirement. The morale was really low. If you need a job come for the professional experience you can place on your resume, then leave. Many people are over worked and under paid.
Pros
Weekends off, Snacks
Cons
No retirement, Low pay, No room for advancement, Expensive mental coverage, Low Morale, High Turnover rates
Coworkers are excellent
Advocate (Former Employee) –  Pearl Harbor, HIMay 31, 2018
The mission to help victims of domestic violence is so very important. It is an honor to do this. What a gift and an opportunity it is to benefit the army, victims and try and change the culture. It would be nice to know that the company appreciates the fact that the advocate is so professional that she drops everything on the spot to help a victim. This should give the advocate the opportunity to pick flexible hours (real flex time) or actually pay the advocate for the time dedicated to helping a victim during hotline hours. This time goes unappreciated. The company needs to recognize their employees and find a way to give raises or rise in the company.
Pros
helping others
Cons
no growth, no ability to take vacation the first year
Mgmt lacks ability to do our job
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymousMay 22, 2018
Please consider other options when looking for employment. Might be a good place as a first job to get your feet wet but not a place to stay long term.
Very nice place to work
Work, Family, Life Consultant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 7, 2018
Nice place to work, co workers and management are very eager to help you. There is significant training and fair hiring from within. Environment very relaxed, people very nice and helpful
Cons
No sick days only Paid Time Off...
This place is great for those who love to travel
Government Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Knox, KYApril 17, 2018
If you love traveling & learn new things AFSC is a great place to start with. AFSC trys to treat all Military and Contractors with the same respect.
Productive, innovative, and focused place to work
Historian and Deputy Project Director (Current Employee) –  Fort Knox, KYApril 13, 2018
During my time with Armed Forces Service Corporation, the company transitioned from an independent company to a subsidiary of Magellan Healthcare. The management past and present has been exceptional and I truly felt like a part of the team.
Advocate
Army Wounded Warrior Advocate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 15, 2018
Great job and benefits. Position was removed due to contract reduction. Would recommend this organization for employment opportunities. Very well rounded benefits package.
N/a
EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMarch 7, 2018
Great! I would definitely work for this company, but at different capacity again. They spell out their expectations and they ensure that the employees are taken care of.
Productive work environment
Personnel Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAMarch 6, 2018
During my employment here I learned some team building skills.
The workplace culture is friendly and inviting.
The hardest part of the job is staying on top of frequent policy changes but overall, that's not even too bad.
Pros
hour lunches, paid time off, military leave, 401K
I have a great management team
Program Analyst/Trainer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78217February 3, 2018
I love working for AFSC, however, healthcare insurance is very very expensive for the compensation, Family oriented management team. Easy to learn with this company, There are different programs that they management so chances are that if you don't care for one particular program, you can apply for a different program and learn so much,
not the place for me!
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 21, 2018
Not the place for me, poorly managed all around, inconsistent organization, great clinicians, rude & disrespectful leadership; not all locations are bad.
Pros
experienced & sound clinicians
Cons
justa bad experience!
Doing a disservice to soliders
Career Readiness Counselor (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CAJanuary 21, 2018
I was employed in November and did not get any feedback on my CAC card, laptop, hotspot, phone until January 2018. They had me report to the base without the credentials and do a presentation with no access on government property. Long story short they set me up to fail by not delivering the tools and misleading me to the base that I couldn't not work on without the proper credentials. You cant even operate a powerpoint without government issued equipment. You can log into their wifi on your own personal laptop. They sent me out with nothing and led me to fail. As a veteran I'm disgusted by this waste of time and money. If CSFL is grant funded it needs to be reconsidered.
Pros
Cons
all
Serving is always a great way to earn a living!
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 6, 2018
I am a 4th generation military man! Serving my country was a easy decision to carry on my family tradition and to provide a better quality of life for my family. I have no regrets and I am very proud of my time in service.
Pros
See the world, get paid doing it.
Cons
A lot of time away from family!
It was a good place to work
Recovery Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 27, 2017
The whole organization was very family oriented.
There was never a time were i did not feel welcome in the organization.

I wish the contract I worked under had not ended.