Armstrong Flooring Employee Reviews in Kankakee, IL

difficult corporate culture
Level 2 Operater (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILFebruary 1, 2018
Difficult atmosphere to work in. Management not consistent with skills needed to manage properly. Policies change at a moments notice. Management does not recognize potential of personel capable to supervise.
No advancement
Reach truck Operator and Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILOctober 30, 2017
Typical day at work I would be loading and unloading trailers with tile. The management wasn't good at all, the 2 years that i was there i was never sat down for any evaluations or was never told where i could improve, I like knowing because I feel there is always room for improvement. The hardest part of the job was working for Kelly Services Temp agency, They were constantly shorting my checks and when I called to let them know my checks were short it either took them weeks to respond or I would have to call them every week to ask and remind them.
Turn over causes turmoil
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILOctober 22, 2017
The turn over rate with the management group causes a lot of issues for every new manager/HR manager/Plant manger the cycle starts over. This does not help with stability and ability to continue to execute programs that were implemented by one then new mgt. starts a new cycle- very disgruntled atmosphere. Operators are good people but feel the pain of the constant changing of guards. Current MGT are micro managers and do not allow the people they are paying to do their jobs and make decisions based on their skills. Also hostile work environment with yelling and cursing.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Turn over rate
Demanding,rule breaking
Utility Relief associate (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILOctober 13, 2017
Floor tile mass production,if orders are not being filled youll work major holidays.My job was cut to save money,after filling it to allow workers to have un-interrupted breaks,vacations.They force you to learn jobs you did not sign up for,causing many disgruntled workers.Safety was pushed as a big issue,but many rules were broken to simply get a job done.Management would see you as a troublemaker if you stated a task was against safety policy.Certain employees were FAVORITES,and suffered no consequences for breaking rules,while others were suspended immediately.Policy stated when an employee calls off his shift,you must stay for 4 hours to fill in,which disrupts schedules at home,children coming or going home from school,spouses needing to get to their job,etc.
Pros
great pay
Cons
favoritism, filling in for others who call off
Good job
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJuly 27, 2017
Takes a long time to get hired in here, but it's a good paying job with good benefits. There has been lots of overtime in the past, but not so much anymore.
Sort table
Receiving Dept. - Sort Table (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILMarch 2, 2017
Dirty place always good sweeping being done. Able to use forklift inside and out even when weather was bad. When time allows cleaning is needed to keep one busy.
Pros
Always something to do.
Cons
Watching out for those looking to better themselves over one's self.
Sort table
Receiving Department Sort Table (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILFebruary 12, 2017
Job was very easy but the plant was very dirty at times. When opportunity allowed sweeping and cleaning a good way to kill time.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Dirty plant.
Management is unstable
Third shift Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILFebruary 1, 2017
I've had 5 department managers and 5 plant managers in the 8 years I have been employed here. The constant change in leadership makes it difficult to establish yourself as a valued employee and by the time it is recognized, a new manager who knows nothing about you takes over. It makes advancement difficult.
Yet I've remained employed here for 8 years, and would continue to do so, if advancement opportunities were available to challenge me.
cold winters hot summers
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILDecember 10, 2016
Why are all these reviews by former employees? Made a lot of friends. A lot of the people temps send in are Idiots, waste of time,do not want to work.
Pros
close to home
Clean
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILNovember 30, 2016
Great pay and benefits good opportunity 4 advancement good healthy and safe environment growing daily financially great opportunity to meet educated and experienced coworkers sometimes it slows down but always picks back up
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Up and down industry
Excellent place to start civilian careeer
General Manager, Manufacturing, Tile Operations (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILNovember 11, 2016
Found rapid advancement in this organization. I was willing to move to the opportunities. People were excellent to work with.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Rapid culture change
Nice work enviroment
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJuly 21, 2016
I have worked at Armstrong World Industries for almost 6 years know for what was Abm Security that was bought out by Universal Security. I have enjoyed working there with everyone. Everyone was very professional and polite at least most of the time.
Pros
Nice work enviroment, Good pay.
Cons
Good natured people/ good worl enviroment.
Reach Truck Operator/ forklift and order picking (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILNovember 22, 2015
Liked working here, was a learning experience. had of alot of different peple help me along the way, and was greatly appreciated, my supervisor was a very good-natured man and had a good attitude toward with was recognized by his workers, he knew how to motivate people to get them inspired about the days events, wish i could have worked for him longer than i did.
Pros
liked the people
Cons
not enough time spent there
Assessment trip filled with enthusiastic student engineers.
Student Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILMay 26, 2015
This was my first on field project with my team in the IAC department. Being the first one. i was filled with enthusiasm regarding the procedure and my role in the project.

In this assessment i had been made familiarized to my future working environment.We were guided by a plant engineer to the various parts if the plant where we gathered data which would be helpful in assisting the company in energy conservation.

It was indeed my first achievement when we were informed that the company has showed their full interest in implementing the ideas and techniques put-forth by our team.
Great People to work with most people with 15 plus years on job
DCM/Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Kankakee, ILNovember 13, 2014
The work environment was good. However, plant manager was not very experienced and had a hard time understanding some technical concepts and created confusion with his work plans and material scheduels we had to change things to correct and not allow things to malfunction or run out we had a very strong team and worked well together every supervisor that reported to me understood my expectations and we met and past all our goals for production and transportation. The hardes part of the job was to cope with a manager that didnt understand the over all process only manufacturing side.. most enjoyable were the people
Pros
learned quite a bit from all the experienced employees specialy in purchasing
Cons
not to many the company over all was a good company to work
Great people to work with but poor management and leadership. Treat the workers poorly
Assist in vendor selection and bid evaluations (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILJanuary 8, 2013
Many great co-workers. always work to do to keep you busy so the day usually goes by fast, making it that much more enjoyable to work at. Management does what is best for them when it is best for them and do not take into consideration what would be good for the employees. Business is slow right now being the building industry is still in a slump. the business is constantly changing keeping me on my toes and my skills sharp. Have the opportunity to use two materials ordering and management systems, SAP and COUPA
Pros
guaranteed 40 hours
Cons
forced overtime