ARMSTRONG GARDEN CENTER Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Armstrong
Cashier, Customer Service, and Sales (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 2, 2018
Armstrong's provides its employee with horticulture classes that allow you to advance within the company. It's a great place to work customers are buying plants so they are happy. The most enjoyable part of the day is helping customers. Whereas the hardest is being outdoors in cold weather. They provide their employees with great shirts, sweatshirts, and jackets.

The new HR director has an unconventional way of hiring managers. Not all manager trainees liked plants, I thought that was odd.

I would still be working and loving my job if they had a retail location in the Coachella Valley.
Pros
Everyone loves plants
Cons
HR department
bad place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2018
this company is not a good company to work for!!! they treat you like your nothing but they want you to work 50 hours and more to get the job done. Sad to say I worked there
Great Job environment and a great place for advancement.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAApril 21, 2017
Product knowledge and ability to work with public. The fact to grow in the company also working with the public and ability to recommend plants and materials. Excellent working experience
Pros
Compforatble environmet.
Cons
Plant allergies
We all know what is expected of us, and work accordingly.
maintenance and custodian worker (Current Employee) –  Westchester, CAMarch 19, 2017
I have worked at Armstrong Garden Centers for 11 years. It is a very pleasant atmosphere. Everyone does his or her job well.
We help each other when needed.
This store in Westchester is one of the smaller centers. Therefore, we feel like a close family.
My schedule is always changing and feel I am flexable in that area.
I have learned how to roll with the flow, and do the best that I can.
I am good with details, which make working here a lot easier.
Pros
bonus at Thanksgiving and Christmas
Cons
Working outside in cold weather
If you like plants
Sales/Key Person (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAOctober 14, 2015
If you like the outdoors and know something about plants, or at least have common sense, its a good place to work. Customers are horrible, stay away from them and everything will be fine.
its a good environment. plants all around and a good workout.
Maintenance/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 8, 2013
i would water plants, and lift pots also help people out get thing and take them to the car. you will also learn a lot working here.
Beautiful Environment, HARD work.
Nursery Professional (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 8, 2012
There is never down time at Armstrong Garden. If not busy helping customers, there is always something to care for, check in or accomplish at this job.
One aspect is that if you are not initially hired as full time, you are basically a contract employee who gets less hours as the customer flow slows down. There are no guaranteed hour minimums here, and if the customer flow slows down, your hours will be cut substantially.
The co-workers are amazing, Very hard working and plant intelligent people working here. The most enjoyable part of the job is to interact with the customers and assist them with exciting landscape plans.
The hardest part of the job is that you have to go from 7 am - 6 pm most days with only 1/2 hour to get off your feet. It's good to be so active, but may not be for everyone.
Pros
really great discounts
Cons
job security, short breaks