Armstrong Garden Centers Employee Reviews

If I could give ZERO stars I would
Talent Acquisition Specialist / Recruiting Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 23, 2018
I was so excited to work for this company- but within a few weeks I knew I had made a mistake. Beautiful stores and products. But the employees are mistreated by Corporate Management. Everyone is overworked, underpaid and NOT APPRECIATED.

The company really plays up the ESOP program, which is they’re excuse for not paying a living wage or offering affordable insurance. People are required to work in the blistering heat and have to earn things like water bottles and popsicles. Raises are pennies if you get anything at all. I can go work fast food and make more money and have better benefits.

It’s a very defeating environment... and if you complain, they turn it around on you and try to make you feel like everything is your fault.
Pros
Beautiful products and you get to work outside
Cons
Low pay, horrible benefits and no recognition for a job well done
Good job, always something to do..
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAOctober 1, 2018
Armstrong Garden Center is a good first job for some one in college. The job can be physically challenging, but advancement into the company is possible.
Pros
Learning about plants, and how they grow
Cons
The only con, working weekends.
Do not work here ~ stay away!
Landscape Architect (Former Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CAAugust 14, 2018
This place is a joke do not waste your time here...pay is pathetic would be better of working for anybody but this guys!!! Hope this helps you in your job search. Best of luck and remember stay away from this place they suck!!!!!
Pros
Cons
many
very stressful and managed poorly.
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAJuly 12, 2018
Very stressful and too much gossip about one another. some bad things going on in that company. did not treat employees right. very poor management at the store.
Pros
Worked outside
Cons
low pay, management and corporate very untrustworthy
Very seasonal & old school processes
Retail Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 16, 2018
Fulltime doesn't mean 40 hours. Title office clerk, will be hardly in the office and more cashiering than anything. No advancement w/o being CCNP. Benefits are expensive. Will take a long time to be eligible for ESOP.
However, flexible work hours to a degree. Good co-workers & personalities.
Pros
Somewhat flexible
Cons
Steep learning curve
First Job
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 21, 2018
I like it, it was my first job. My supervisor was really chill and didn't bother me and push to do much. Great times, and pretty flowers and good discounts.
Low pay!
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAMay 15, 2018
My experience at Armstrong Garden Center was horrible. Low pay for busting your butt. Would not recommend to anyone! My advice, stay away. Your not going to like it here.
Pros
Cons
Low pay
Armstrong
Cashier, Customer Service, and Sales (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMay 2, 2018
Armstrong's provides its employee with horticulture classes that allow you to advance within the company. It's a great place to work customers are buying plants so they are happy. The most enjoyable part of the day is helping customers. Whereas the hardest is being outdoors in cold weather. They provide their employees with great shirts, sweatshirts, and jackets.

The new HR director has an unconventional way of hiring managers. Not all manager trainees liked plants, I thought that was odd.

I would still be working and loving my job if they had a retail location in the Coachella Valley.
Pros
Everyone loves plants
Cons
HR department
It would be great place if they replaced all TOP Management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAApril 8, 2018
Overall I had a great time at Armstrong Corporate office in my 5 years, but top corporate management was a tight nit spoiled group of not what you know but who do you know people. That in the end was the reason why I gladly left, not a fair place to work.
Pros
working with fun people not in management
Cons
Don't count on advancement
bad place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2018
this company is not a good company to work for!!! they treat you like your nothing but they want you to work 50 hours and more to get the job done. Sad to say I worked there
Not For Me
Retail Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAMarch 14, 2018
If you are a garden pro, this may be for you. If you are not interested in the horticulture field, and have no knowledge of it, this may come rather difficult.
Pros
For being retail, the hour of operation are good
Cons
Horrible benefits and compensation
They don’t care about you.
Green shirt (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaMarch 14, 2018
Poor pay, horrible management, spring time hours are long then they cut your hours in the summer/fall. Huge disconnect between ground level managers and upper management. High turn over rate. Upper management doesn’t want to hear about problems only care about how much money you make them.
Pros
Working outside with beautiful plants.
Cons
Benefits are expensive and doesn’t cover a lot. Hours, management, pay, high turn over.
Hypocrits
Sales Associate / Consulting Rosarian (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAMarch 9, 2018
I would never recommend this place to work and I will never set foot in a store again. It is too small of a company for 'officers' at the top to forget what it was like to work at a store. They underpay their employees and lie to them about the daily need to knows of the company. NOPE
If you like stress...
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMarch 6, 2018
Upper management is out of touch with the industry and their stores. There is never enough staffing to provide the level of service demanded by their customers.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No support
Employee owned is the way to go!
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAFebruary 21, 2018
The benefits, pay, and treatment of employees are very fair because the company's stock is also held by the employees at every level. The learning curve is steep for anyone who doesn't already know how to take care of a variety of plants.
Pros
benefits, fair pay, ethical treatment of employees
Cons
steep learning curve
productive
Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAOctober 11, 2017
A Typical day at work is watering the plants and picking up soil bags and bring them to the customers cars. What I learned about this job was about timing my work. and teamwork. Management was really good. The workplace culture was really nice. and it a really good environment. The Hardest Part of the job was when it was really busy i had to multitask and put water on the plants and help with the customers. The Most Enjoyable part of the job was meet new people.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
productive location
Sales Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAOctober 3, 2017
i was a sales manager so i would go make sure all of the customers were happy and i would help them if they needed help. i also did inventory and merchandizing and ran the cash register
Fun workplace with flexible scheduling
Nursery Professional (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CAAugust 9, 2017
Great place to acquire tons of horticultural knowledge & meet people who are also as interested in the horticultural industry. Flexible scheduling if still in school as well. Must be able to handle working in all weather conditions, from hot summer days to pouring rain.
a good place to work
Sales (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAAugust 4, 2017
I enjoyed working for Armstrong. I got to really love plants and the customers shopping in the store for them. It is pretty physically demanding though.
Quality company
Key Holder & Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 1, 2017
Was a joy to work there. However, they subscribe to the notion that it is cheaper to recruit and hire people than to compensate and retain them. But still, a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Armstrong Garden Centers. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about