Armstrong World Industries Employee Reviews

Co workers were great to work with
Communications & Public Affairs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 5, 2019
Rushed, frustrating, workplace culture was every man for him or herself. The hardest part of the job was finding someone to assist with the job responsibility. Most of the experienced people were let go from the company.
Pros
on-site gym
Cons
No room for advancement or development
Steady workplace
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  South Gate, CAApril 1, 2019
Not much good or bad about the company.

They are committed to making high quality products giving good value to the customers.

Employee are treated okay.
Pros
Staedy wok and pay
Cons
Employees not valued
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  St. Helens, ORMarch 20, 2019
Good pay, good benefits.

Management OK.

Not enough training.

Good atmosphere.

Old equipment.

A lot of investments recently.

Sometimes stressful.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Very good experience with Armstrong
Value Stream Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens, ORMarch 9, 2019
Unfortunately, the plant work at closed down after 30 years with Armstrong, they were a very good company to work for and the plant management were top notch. To bad it ended so soon.
Armstrong went through bankruptcy in 1999 due to asbestos and started selling off all their assets. Decided to downsize which is why I was let go.
Segment Manager (Residential Resilient) (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 3, 2019
Armstrong was a great company to work for. I learned how to manage large territories and many employees while employed there. I did builder work, retail work, distribution management, and territory training and selling.
Pros
Expenses Reimbursed, Company Car and great benefits package
Cons
Time away from family and travel
Hard to say...hired as temp....
Sales Administration (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 13, 2019
Hired as temp to resolve 2 years of backlog discrepancies of rebates potentially due... had to research and determine if in fact rebate was due....successfully accomplished the task, as was hired full time until the new job was out sourced out of U.S.
Was the best place to work
Distribution Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens, ORJanuary 28, 2019
I had so much fun working for Armstrong, because I was so enthusiastic , with strong work ethic, I was able to advance to other areas of the plant was able to get company certified in confined space CPR I was never bored
Pros
Great pay
Great work experience
Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Developer (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 28, 2019
I have very much enjoyed working for Armstrong. They are very sensitive to work life balance. Armstrong is also great at allowing you to try new departments and positions.
Productive team based work environment
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKJanuary 18, 2019
A typical work day was fast passed and constant. Management did not interfere much as long as things were running smoothly. The workplace environment was a team based environment where everyone was considered equal. The hardest part of the job was then there were tear-offs and the flooring needed to be webbed.
Pros
Stability and always know where the job site is located
Cons
Hot work environment
Good company
Sales Monkey (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAJanuary 3, 2019
As the shot rang out the young lady in the shadowy door way knew she was too late to save her young lover. The next sharp crack of the rifle surprised her to her very core. When she look down she saw a red bloom appearing on her new white blouse and wondered what she spilled on it. the darkness as came swift as a cat running in the shadows.
very fast paced but good pay and benifits
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHDecember 8, 2018
very fast paced and lots to learn but worth the knowledge of learning new jobs, the pay is very good with great benefits but can be alot of pressure doing multiple jobs.
Pros
pay and benefis
Cons
quick pace alot of mental pressure
Fast paced, very good display of product, & yes the food!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 28, 2018
Fast paced which made the day go fast. Thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers. The training on the products was beyond exceptional. Management encouraged you & was always there to assist. Workplace culture there was always something fun going on! Bringing in food, customer service week, etc. Hardest part was having two minutes to provide extraordinary customer service & tracking down flooring through the Canadian border. Most enjoyable was definitely the team & customers. I was in two departments started in Lowes & Home Depot then went on to the independents.
Pros
Fun events, great benefits, & most of all a great team
Cons
2 minutes to give good customer service
Nice place but don't plan on staying long.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 24, 2018
AWI relocated me from out of state when I accepted a job at the Lancaster corporate campus, having spent well over $100k to move me to PA. I was excited, and I really enjoyed working there until 9 months later when they eliminated my position. I soon learned that this is how Armstrong World Industries (and its spinoff Armstrong Flooring) have operated for years. They staff up early in the year, then dump people at the end of the year to make their numbers look better to shareholders. When the numbers don't look as good as they'd like, they shed people instead of tightening up on travel, entertaining, bonuses, etc. They always start by laying people off. It's in the Armstrong DNA.
Pros
Work location, decent culture.
Cons
Poor strategic vision, frequent layoffs.
Good company to work for.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 18, 2018
Worked there 38 1/2yrs. Enjoyed the work and fellow employees. Pay was good, benefits were good ,and vacation was good. I had 6 weeks per year with 11paid holidays.
Pros
Pay was good, made a decent living!
Cons
Some newer management, didn't know the operation well.
Armstrong
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 9, 2018
Good place to work, employees and management very nice and helpful. The pay is very good. Well trained to do your job. rotate every 20 mins to eliminate fatigue.
Pros
nice friendly people
Cons
one supervisor was clickish
Mostly good
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 7, 2018
Great bonuses, usually good opportunities for advancement. There are too many and too complicated layers of management without enough people to do the work.
Work Environment
Value Stream Manager II (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAOctober 5, 2018
Excellent work environment at the non union sites and corporate office. Much opportunity at the union facilities. There needs to be more accountability.
Pros
catered lunch meeting, on site gym
Cons
union relations
Great place to work never more evident than at Plant closure
Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Helens, ORSeptember 25, 2018
Huge room to move up and chances to learn skills and practice them, great culture but we worked hard and were focused in the task. I enjoyed building teams of amazing employees that were from all around the area.
Pros
Free lunch great location I won the ping pong table
Cons
Plant closure and long hours and shifts
Good company to work for.
Sr. Manager New Product Innovation (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PASeptember 25, 2018
Overall good company to work for. Very collaborative and team environment. Competitive pay and benefits. Unfortunately strategy has been to shrink the company to a more regional player.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 20, 2018
It has been 13 years since I worked at Armstrong.
I worked in several different departments.
It most of my positions, the workplace culture was great.
One of my positions, I worked on Excel spreadsheets all day every day. I actually like that.
Pros
Flexible work hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Armstrong World Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight