Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,306 reviews matching the search See all 2,582 reviews
Overall Fun work enviroment.
Senior Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Rucker, ALJuly 21, 2018
The workplace while stressful due to the retail nature of it was a very positive atmosphere. Coworkers are friendly and helpful to one another. Human Resources is on top of their game in helping out with any issues associates might have and acted ina very profesional manner.
Pros
Employee Discount program. Awards for great performance. Sick, vacation leave for part time and up.
Cons
hard to get breaks, lack of full time positions.
Redstone Arsenal, show's to much favoritism, & can't move up, starting pay is bad.
Sr Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 21, 2018
Some locations might be alright but Redstone Arsenal is the worse place ever to work for. Morale, is terrible. Would never recommend this place to a friend.
Cons
Poor Management, not enough pay.
Didnt enjoy my experience there
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moody AFB, GAJuly 20, 2018
When I first started there I was shocked at how unprofessional most of my supervisors and managers were. Most of them were rude and treated you very poorly. Supervisors and managers would make rude comments about customers and employees on a regular. So management is pretty much a joke. It was a fast paced job and most of the customers would make my day better. Easy job, Horrible pay most starting you out at $7.50 an hour. Only a few people there were helpful and friendly....the rest....NOT.
Pros
Honestly I couldnt think of one
Cons
Poor management
Strong Military Association
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 19, 2018
Very good company that focuses on taking care of the military customer. Got to travel to many different locations and met several individuals. Avery diverse company. Really enjoyed my career there
Pros
Security work environment
Cons
Retail always stressful
Working at AAFES
AAFES Employee (Former Employee) –  Italy, TXJuly 18, 2018
Providing the best customer service, stocking, clean up, working as a team, great attendance, and loved working overseas. The required uniform was very basic at the time.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short Breaks
its a job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 18, 2018
its what you make it, but its mostly for college kids and seniors. it is great to serve future soldiers and there families, and you can meet a lot of people.
Army and Air Force Exchange
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TX 76544July 17, 2018
Great company to work for when just starting. I would highly recommend this company to others. Friendly co-workers and a great atmosphere to learn workplace culture.
Highly Toxic and do not expect to have a personal life.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARJuly 17, 2018
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. They worry about themselves well before the employees and for at least the branch I worked for was highly toxic. When you work for them you do not have a personal life you work the hours they give you.
Pros
Willing to work with you on your time available
Cons
Toxic Environment
Great community
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Randolph AFB, TXJuly 17, 2018
Great place to work and get to know people, the pay isn't the bonus the people you meet and the bond that you make are the gold in this store. Enjoyed my time with my coworkers, I left only because of pay.
Pros
Family environment
Cons
pay
Fast-paced, often over worked.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MacDill AFB, FLJuly 16, 2018
I learned many skills in my years at AAFES, and those skills will guide me through the rest of my working days. However, management can often be inconsiderate and rude, lacking discipline, and make you question if they know what they are doing. Expect to work in an environment with one short break (depending on your schedule), walking constantly (often back and forth), old, retired military personal demanding unnecessary, irrational, and ridiculous requests to be fulfilled. You will more than likely have a passive-aggressive, know-it-all supervisor who will assign you a work load, and then proceed to lecture you an hour later about how you didn't complete this other work load from two hours ago, or complain about how they're doing all the work in the department.
Pros
Valuable skills and training; clearance to work on military installation; great prices
Cons
No discounts; management difficult; customers are often rude; physically demanding
Diverse and Full of Personality But No Leadership
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAJuly 16, 2018
While there are many wonderful and helpful people that work at the AAFES Exchanges, the leadership and management are often unable to offer the necessary support needed, and the process of getting an issue addressed, though is provided in fine print, it is intimidating.

I have learned many skills through my job, and while I started out loving coming to work every morning, over time the experience has degraded and become tense due to weak and unclear management. I feel this job has helped me gain insight to my desired career of a commercial graphic designer, but people's talents are capped.

As a customer of AAFES though, I appreciate the few hard working associates and employees who put in their blood, sweat, and tears to improving the customer experience.
Great Working Enviroment
Shift Manager (Retail) (Current Employee) –  Fort Lee, VAJuly 15, 2018
I've been with AAFES for almost two years now and lets just say it's certainly been one heck of a ride!! AAFES has plenty of lateral-transition opportunities available, flexible work hours, excellent employee benefits, and most importantly JOB SECURITY. In comparison to other jobs listed on the market, I can honestly say that if you're looking for a steady and reliable job that will help you gain plenty of valuable experience for your future plans in life, or if you want to become part of a "Family Serving Family", look no further!!
Pros
Job Security, Lateral-Transition Opportunities, Flexible Hours
Cons
High Customer Volume, High Turnover Rate, Little Down-Time
always smile and being friendly as possible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Leavenworth, KSJuly 15, 2018
i love serving with military people in simple way i can put smile on thier faces by helping them in simple things like helping them to find good deals
Pros
we always have good team work and free lunch
Cons
no cons at all
Fun job
Senior Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Scott AFB, ILJuly 14, 2018
Good retail job, great for people looking for good selling experience. Most of the management is great, some bad apples, but great for any hard workers.
enjoyed years with AAFES
High quality customer service (Former Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAJuly 13, 2018
ive enjoyed years with AAFES. working with them has been a pleasure, Ive always gotten paid well and always granted leave when i chose. Ive been able to relocate with AAFES, my first job was an AAFES job.
Pros
nigh shift increase
Cons
senority
Its a job
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCJuly 13, 2018
Would not recommend if your looking for long term. If you are a military spouse than it's good. You can transfer with your active duty spouse. You will have preference of the available jobs.
Pros
On a military base
Cons
Pay is not competitive with the civilian world
Sale merchadise to customers
Retail Sales/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 12, 2018
Good pot lucks
Stressful days when ceo comes to view the store
No pLace for advancement
Heavy loads of work
Lack of manpower in certain department
Give bonus but take 30% for taxes
Works if the right people work
Subway Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort Eustis, VAJuly 12, 2018
Sent me for an amazing $5K Manager training then put a manager in there who refused to learn the routine and sat in the office when required to be on deck! She refused to learn the sandwiches and would not be out front when required. She left a non management employee alone with another non management employee here was a substantial cash shortage on that day (i wasn't there, but the blame was placed on me and i was questioned about it by the higher authority!) She caused several issues which HR didn't want to resolve, which prompted me to resign.
Pros
AAFES is good
Cons
Only good if the right people are in Human resources
Pay is ok but they don’t offer benefits To part timers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAJuly 12, 2018
It is an ok place to work but very hard to get a full time position. You do get raises every six months based on your performance but they do not offer sick pay or paid time off to part time and offer no benefits.
Pros
Get to shop tax free
Cons
No benefits
love
Stockroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJuly 12, 2018
I worked in the back of the warehouse moved pallets to their correct areas moved boxes to shelves when needed .. cleaned up the back areas kept nice n clean. helped load ppls vehicles when needed during the busy seasons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.