Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,337 reviews matching the search See all 2,615 reviews
Diverse Environment
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Dublin, CAAugust 15, 2018
The environment work is diverse from the employees working to the customer base. Having an opened personality and being able to work with different cultures and age ranged is a must.
cashier
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAAugust 15, 2018
i learned a lot from this company i learned to stock beer , the military people are so nice and welcoming the hardest part of it was the drive it will take me two hours to get there and two hours to get home .
Pros
free sodas
Cons
everyone was nice
Typical day at work
stock associate receive (Former Employee) –  Baden-WürttembergAugust 15, 2018
Unload merchandise, mark items such as price, stock, or inventory control codes. Stock shelves with unpacked items. Ensure label is clear and visible. Work with salespeople on inventory and orders.
awesome place to give back, no advancement
Senior Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLAugust 14, 2018
Oversee daily responsibilities, train about computers, apple products, with the training i do my own additional training within the operating system and troubleshooting within windows and mac. stock items, handle phone calls.
It was alright
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COAugust 14, 2018
Not the best, not the worst...
It’s a great place to start out with, if you just got out of school or even just moved to a new location.

The sales are really great and they even have online services.
Customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXAugust 13, 2018
Everyone that works at the fort hood Exchange has been there for years and do not like change at all. There is occasionally no support from upper management.
benefits
Cons
pay
Aafes is great for starting out.
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXAugust 12, 2018
After working for Aafes for 3 yrs now I have learned, processed, and witnessed a lot of things. I haven't always have the best managers or supervisors some bring home to work, some are so overly stressed that how employees should be treated becomes a lesser factor. I do enjoy working for Aafes. They pay more than minimum wage at most places. They are very good at working around your busy life style whether it's a second job, school, or you have a family to take care of. As far as moving up the ladder, it is really hard to do so. Even if you take all the course, been with the company for 10 yrs, and have potential you won't get very far. I love how diverse the company is and meeting various people from a plethora of countries. It strengthens your customer service, communication, time management, money handling skills.

Overall Army and Air force Exchange Services is a great company to start work and deciding a career. For someone who is fresh out of high school, going through college, or even undecided and to keep up with minimal bills. Each environment is different at various locations.
Fast paced work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2018
Working with Army and Air force personnel and families to order goods. Learned that AAFES was all over the world and we could work at other locations overseas.
Fun job but bad management
Supervisory Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARAugust 10, 2018
It was a nice place to work at. I would recommend it if you're looking for some extra money. My manager was pretty terrible but she and the person whose position I took over (who left after I was hired) never bothered to train me, so I was always to blame for mistakes. It turned into a toxic environment quickly, but luckily it was time to move, so I put in my two weeks and moved to another state to start a new life for reasons not related to the job.
Benefits
Cons
Bad management
Team work and Make the customer smile when they leave the CS
Customer Expert Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXAugust 8, 2018
Help the customer, Teamwork is really great, communication with other coworkers is great assist each other. The hardest part of the job is I can't resolve the problem or I can't please the customer with the service I rendered. The enjoyable part of the job is to make the customer smile when they leave, answer the concern to the customer and team work of my department.
Pros
Teamwork my department and every Friday the Store manager always have a game before we open.
Cons
short staff, short break
The pay was low
Shift Supervisor Food Court (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 7, 2018
They promised good pay but that never happened. Most of the managers were sneaky and lied or were never there. Managers never cared if food was under cooked.
Must have tough skin
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99506August 6, 2018
I would greet and check out customers who were done shopping. I also worked in the customer service area helping with refunds and money orders. I learned a bit. This is a great job for someone who is just starting out. I enjoyed my time there but was ready to move on as the pay was not great for where we were.
Pros
Cons
too many to name
It Shouldnt Be A Career
Central Checkout Cashier (Former Employee) –  Odenton, MDAugust 6, 2018
As a cashier, CCO, or laborer, the environment heavily depends on the people you work with. The majority of the employees are either military spouses or former/retired/reservist military personnel. Due to this being the case, it gets really, and I mean REALLY, cliquey.

Upper management will ALWAYS side with or back up a member of management unless said person has committed an actual crime. Their poor treatment of employees shows in this area in that several people i know reported unfair treatment and were subsequently ridiculed for it.

If you are willing to work hard they will bend over backwards for you in every way they can. Having said that, a few issues are still present. If you get written up more than twice (even for menial things) you can forget about advancement for the next 2-3 years.
Pros
great for military family, offers deployment, good with relocation
Cons
extremely hard to advance, high school atmosphear
Overall View of AAFES
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Baden-WürttembergAugust 5, 2018
The overall job experience was enjoyable and gave me the beginning services of a food service worker. The management of some stores could've improved, yet it didn't conflict with work that often.
Great place to work for
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAAugust 2, 2018
Awesome place for employment. I recommend working for this organization. They really take the time to train new hires. The benefits are great too. Overall great experience.
Ambiente Familiar
God's Father Pizza (Former Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCAugust 2, 2018
Un dia ocupado. Aprendi como intelatuar con el cliente. Un ambiente divertido y familiar.
Pros
Seguro medicos
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hardin County, KYAugust 2, 2018
Every day was something different. I enjoyed my time there. Management was ok at times when they wanted to be........................................
Pros
fun people to work with and advancements
Cons
intermittent hours
Awards and customer appreciation and celebration of birthdays
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 30, 2018
Just like with all jobs it has its ups and downs. Best of working with AAFES is that the benefits pretty much pay for compensation of the pay. They have great medical, vision and dental. Working with AAFES will be considered like working for the army Air Force and you get discounts on just bout anything.
Cons
Short breaks
Loved working for AAFES
End User Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COJuly 30, 2018
Unfortunately I had to resign for personal reasons but if I could go back to work for them I would do it. Good company and I loved serving our Military.
Great environment for moving families with military
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Drum, NYJuly 29, 2018
Very flexible to move locations when moving to another base. Military friendly and all kinds of great training opportunities. Ways to move up quickly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.