Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

Found 2,403 reviews matching the search See all 2,685 reviews
Its okay, I guess
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMOctober 15, 2018
This is an okay job, if you like being on your feet and running around a lot. Some of the other employees are rude, and the manager is hard to work with.
Fulfilling place to work
Re-order Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, MassachusettsOctober 13, 2018
Working full time gives me a lot of time to help the military service members, especially when they have to go for deployment. AAFES is a nice and fulfilling place to work.
A declining company with management problems.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Travis AFB, CAOctober 12, 2018
Once was a reliable company that made sensible decisions that made both profit for the company and took care of both the customers and employees. Management has deteriorated to the point where only making as much money as possible is important. Buildings are in dire need of repair and fumigation. Employees get management positions if they have good relationships with people who have authority, not whether or not it makes financial sense for the company. Or if they are related to someone in power. No accountability for management when they make mistake after mistake. Job opportunities have been reducing due to constant shuttering of facilities so management can reduce payroll.
Pros
Health insurance if you land a part-time position.
Cons
Nepotism, horrendous management, employment decisions based on who management likes or related to, common sense and experience take a backseat to authority, bad management isn't held accountable
Fun place to work
Food Court Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZOctober 11, 2018
Working with and serving the soldiers is the best part of working with AAFES. Learned financial responsibilities of restaurant management, in charge of 40 associates and five Name Brand Fast Food facilities that cover four different brands.
Pros
Great Benefits, health, dental, paid time off, retirement contributions
A decent place to work if you are new to the workforce
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXOctober 10, 2018
Working as a laborer is very physically demanding. There is a lot of heavy lifting involved, as well as walking, crouching, and stretching. Occasionally customers will ask for your help in finding certain products.
Daily Stocking with Annual Inventory
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 9, 2018
On truck days, assist unloading the truck. Stock and restock from the truck. On regular days, stock from the carts and warehouse shelves. During the end-year holidays, work eight-hour and varying shifts for the Black Friday sales and the Annual Inventory preparation.

Annual Performance Evaluations and Training Exams

Weekly company meetings. Department barbecues, birthday celebrations, and Award ceremonies.
Pros
Company events and vacation time
Cons
Inspections and truck loads
cashier
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAOctober 9, 2018
Worked part-time with AAES. I have enjoyed working with this company. I had many different customer from different country while serving the military an spouse. Serving the military for all that they have done for this country no matter where they came from. Providing customer services for customer an seeing their smiling. Knowing that I just made their day.
good JOB
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Bolling AFB, DCOctober 9, 2018
It is definitely a good starter job. Will learn a lot of customer service skills. need to be available all day. be prepare to be on your feet the whole shift.
Pros
it was walking distance from my home
Cons
not enough hours.
Fun place to work
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAOctober 4, 2018
Fun place to work and loved my Manager and loved my bosses would highly recommend a friend to work at this company and place if they where moving to Fort Polk, LA
Pros
Everyone is nice, friendly
Cons
Short breaks
It's a good environment
Copywriter (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 4, 2018
They want you to get your job done, however, they allow you to work in a way that's best for you. However, when it's crunch time, you feel it. This is particularly true when something new is launching for the Exchange website.
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXOctober 3, 2018
Great place to work with good benefits. I get to shop at the exchange just like service members. The only thing is, my coworkers come and go. They use the place as a stepping stone.
I enjoyed working for aafes.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 3, 2018
Working for the military exchange was great . I started working for the exchange when I was 16 for taco Bell than started working for the px. I really enjoyed these jobs they showed me so much.
Its money
Food Service Foreman (Former Employee) –  KadenaOctober 3, 2018
Most people you will be under will do whatever makes them look good and take credit for what you do. Your fellow coworkers need to be carefully vetted, people would tell on you to upper management in a second for a chance at promotion. Everyone hates working there. Customers are horrible, entitled individuals. Constantly treated lesser and worthless.
Pros
You get paid pocket change
Cons
Your mental state will collapse
very busy
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMOctober 3, 2018
learned about retail on a large format. busy days with a lot of variety. personalities were diverse and sometimes interesting. customer base wide and sometimes fun.
Profiting on the military and AAFES employees
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 2, 2018
Profiting makes you feel kind of icky.
A huge source of their profit comes from their credit cards. Most of their sales entice soldiers/airmen to use the AAFES store brand credit cards, in hopes that it takes months for them to pay them off.

They claim to do so much for the military members. They indeed have programs in place to help the military, but it's at the cost of other military members. There is no competition on base- AAFES is the the sole retail entity allowed on base (any other retail sources must pay fees to AAFES to operate), so prices on all bases are the same as you could get in town when the item is on sale. Sure, it's tax-free on base, but they don't have discounted prices like elsewhere, and the variety is mediocre.

HQ lunchroom is a food court. There are very few microwaves so you're almost forced to eat out every day. No water coolers, no coffee machines- you can buy water bottles and coffee at the on-site Starbucks or on-site convenience store. It's convenient, but I always felt as if we were a huge source of their profit. Perhaps all retail entities operate this way, but it just feels wrong.
Pros
Flex work schedule, Starbucks on site
Cons
Too much work, not enough time, profit from employees & military
My favorite military retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX (headquarters)October 2, 2018
I have worked for AAFES off and on for over ten years. Being a military dependent and spouse, finding, or keeping a job is rough. AAFES has always welcomed me as an associate. Associates do have the opportunity to advance, move around, and create a career, even while traveling to keep up with your spouse.
stressful but beneficial work
Market Price Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAOctober 1, 2018
I liked that the manager would give me room to make decisions on how to do my work. I had a quiet office space and I knew that with time advancing in the company was likely
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
low pay grade
Great Workplace
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYSeptember 29, 2018
I loved working on post and for AAFES. Plenty of advancement and you meet so many different people from all over the world. The management was not the best but the staff were great! Made so many friends and learned so much working for them.. ***Also they will send you o trips overseas to work at other locations if you're willing**
Pros
Great Employer
Cons
Pay, NO benefits
Supervisor
Supervisor in Power Zone (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 29, 2018
A day at the Exchange was always fast paced. Making sure inventory was stocked, schedules were done, associates were doing well and had their breaks. Communication was a must. The hardest part of the day was time management from start to finish. I learned that daily time management had to change. The most enjoyable part was interaction with customers. Learning new things in different departments.
Benefits
Cons
taxes
Productive workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Gordon, GASeptember 28, 2018
An alright job if you are in high school or just graduated. Based on pay and the work environment, wouldn't recommend this job for longer than a year.
Cons
Management, work enviroment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about