Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

Found 2,373 reviews matching the search See all 2,654 reviews
Laborer
Laborer (Stocker) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 19, 2018
My job was to offload trucks, stock shelves, customers service, sometimes run a register. My job was to do everything. The management was okay not the best thing ever.
Pros
the dental insurance is amazing
Cons
not paid enough for the work we do
Workplace Culture
Material Handler and Lumper (Former Employee) –  French Camp, CASeptember 16, 2018
Workplace culture is way better than other warehouse jobs. Neat and clean, and also get great benefits for shopping as military worker. Recommend to work here for long term benefits.
Positive Experience
Regular Part Time (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 15, 2018
I have enjoyed working for AAFES. The management that I have has been great. I came into working for the military without any military experience and have had plenty of help along the way to learn everything. Every day is still a learning experience, but it has been a good one. I would recommend working for AAFES.
Pros
Federal Employment, Management, Pay
Cons
Part Time hours can be cut to nearly 0 due to policies
Easy jobs in a wide variety, many opportunities to advance
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 14, 2018
Aafes is a great starter job for younger people looking to gain experience for later in life, or for military spouses or children old enough to work because of the flexible hours and locations world wide. Transferring between locations is simple, and moving up is relatively easy.
Pros
Employee discounts for meals, flexible hours, lots of oppurtunity to advance and to travel
Cons
Retail does not get discounts, rules are occasionally broken with no consequence, habitual problem employees are shuffled around rather than fired.
Would Not recommend
Customer Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WASeptember 11, 2018
If you want to be treated like a child and yelled at constantly by management then this is not the job for you. This place is based on favoritism and there motto is " the customer is always right". They break and bend policies to make a customer happy and go against everything that is aafes. You are lucky to get breaks and take your lunch on time. There are not suppose to be any set schedules there either but there is. HR is a joke and if you have any issues with supervisors or management and go talk to HR, they will not do anything about it. You get treated badly and made to feel very small with this company. I could go on and on about all the negative things working for this company but if you get hired there, you will find out on your own how bad they really are.
Cons
There is NO chance at all to get a full- time position
Customer Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Ft. Buchanan, PRSeptember 11, 2018
No chance in getting a full-time position unless the store manager likes you A LOT and you laugh at all the insults and sarcastic comments thrown at you out of nowhere. There is really no job advancement no matter how hard you try. Managers and supervisors really like to cross that "professional line" all the time with you. There may be some mean customers but I don't mind them. The only thing that is bad is your co-workers.
Pros
nothing
Cons
benefits such as 401k and healthcare if you are lucky to get promoted
equal opportunity, job security
Warehouse Worker/Receiver/Shift manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Campbell, KYSeptember 8, 2018
Aafes is an equal opportunity workplace and offer many opportunities to advance within the company and travel. Really good for military families that have to relocate often. It has good job security.
good
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 7, 2018
it was good experience I learned a lot and was able to communicate with a lot of smart individuals also was able to take part in their internship video.
like working with the people in there good pay good over time but other than that its a good company to work for
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 7, 2018
aafes is a good company to work for good people the job not bad at all i like the hours they give us and the overtime. nice people nice company to build with and to grow with
n/a
Boston Market Concept Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXSeptember 6, 2018
Good Company to work for. It has given me the opportunity to grow and learn from senior management. The company has allowed me to attend school and work full time.
Good place to work but some of the management is horrible
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXSeptember 5, 2018
If you want to work here you have to be strong minded because most of the management is lazy and they are also shady when it comes to your job. But other than that it was good job to have the company pays it employees well even if you work in food industry for them.
Pros
50% off for food
Work environment
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXSeptember 4, 2018
Work environment is stressful. Management is horrible. Favorites play a major role in the company , raises are rare. Good job to start and get some experience!
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Work environment
Great place to work for.
Stockroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 4, 2018
Worked for Aafes for 8 years and loved my job, worked with my hours through medical issues and having a baby. Aafes really cares about their employees and will work with your schedule.
Pros
Schedules
Cons
Pay
Very Game of Thrones
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Leonard Wood, MOSeptember 3, 2018
An odd workplace. Average day was easy physically but mentally exhausting. I've learned an abundance on maintaining a clean environment, crafting food, and associating with hundreds of people throughout the day. Management was very petty. Very rare to find a good manager. The workplace culture involved a lot of cartoonesque characters. As employees and supervisors were rather radiant with personality. Some of the more difficult challenges of the job was just keeping a positive attitude. The most enjoyable portion of the job was probably the employees and supervisors.
Pros
half off during break, free drinks
Cons
Weak hours, disagreeable management
Good college job
Customer Experience Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 1, 2018
I liked this job. Had I not had a family to provide for, I may have stayed. The Exchange, unfortunately only pays a living wage to about 1% of its employees. Perfect for a college kid or a first job.
Pros
Nice coworkers, weekends off, flexible scheduling
Cons
minimum wage, no benefits, only 23 hours a week
Exchange Cashier / Snack Avenue (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLSeptember 1, 2018
A typical day included cashiering, stocking merchandise and assisting customers. I learned that management encouraged advancement and was flexible when an emergency arose. The workplace was relaxed and consistent. A great place to work, make friends and have opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
part time only
Friendly co-workers, hectic times
Customer Experience Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSAugust 31, 2018
Rush hours can be hectic. Customers are good with the occasionally person being rude because of a policy that is out of employees hands. Management is okay but could be better
good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZAugust 30, 2018
My typical day was to come in and grab a scanning gun and fill any items needed on the floor. manager was always talking with other employees more then doing his job. hardest part of the job was not knowing where things where. The freedom was the best part of the job.
Cons
not enough hours
enjoyable work environment
Exchange Loss Prevention Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAAugust 30, 2018
Fast Paced and enjoyable moderate to heavy workload. Vast opportunities to learn and advance. Daily tasks bring you in contact with various work environments.
No Fair Opportunities For Advancement
Senior Store Associate (Former Employee) –  MacDill AFB, FLAugust 30, 2018
3 attempts at Retail Management Academy shot down, but they will select candidates with little time with the organization and hardly a clue of how things work here.

Twice turned down for full time sales associate positions over the years I worked here. Without going into details, it is most definitely WHO you know and not what you know here. Seniority means absolutely NOTHING here.

21yrs total time I've given AAFES and nothing to show for it. Served my country for 6yrs while keeping my job with them. I tell you all that the U.S. Armed Forces DESERVE BETTER! It is NOT a privilege. Don't work here even if you're desperate for a job. I've been on both sides of this coin. Don't shop here, either!
Pros
The ID card gets you on base
Cons
Pay doesn't balance out with tbe amount of responsibilty put on you, Once a year pay raise only goes up a few pennies, You will never max out your pay range.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about