Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,231 reviews matching the search See all 2,504 reviews
Appreciated the Job and learn to appreciated the military. Enjoyed being able to work night shift
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 12, 2018
Some days are more stressful than others. I did find a new appreciation for the Military and what they do. During my time with AAFES I had several managers and they operated differently. I worked the overnight shift and enjoyed working with my co workers, it was a great group.
Good for the military family member
Manager & Procurement Professional (Former Employee) –  Sheppard AFB, TXMarch 11, 2018
AAFES gave me the opportunity to work full time and go to school. It also provided me with a great job while my military spouse completed her duties both state side and abroad.
Operations Manager
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAMarch 10, 2018
My day begins by reading emails, getting acclimated with the store, i.e.. new promotions and new product. I work with 12 other managers so collaborating with my team is a big part of my job. The hardest part of my job would be the language barrier at times, and fully understanding the customers needs.
Pros
learning to speak mandarin
Cons
location
Stressful
Senior Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXMarch 9, 2018
Most days It would be stressful and lack of communication. Lack of team work. Management could use more employee involvement. For the amount of work the pay could improve.
A good place to work part-time
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAMarch 9, 2018
A good place to work if you want a part time job, not so much for management because your pay does not reflect the actual hours worked in a two week period.
Good
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Hickam AFB, HIMarch 9, 2018
This company was great to work for while I was in Hawaii taking care of my mother. My step dad was stationed there in the Army. The co workers and management were very friendly and great to work with. They were easy to talk to and did the best they could to work around any days I could possibly need off.
Was Good for College
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dugway, UTMarch 8, 2018
This job was great while I was living with my mom during college. I was making enough to satisfy me and the management was great, my manager was friendly and would give me almost any day I asked for off. Unfortunately, I was stuck in a part time intermittent position because of my school schedule and could not get benefits. SO, this problem was circumstantial at best. I also needed to move out to get closer to the college I am attending, and $10/hour at part time is not enough to survive.
Pros
Great Management, Great Schedule
Cons
No benefits for lower positions at all
Four years
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 8, 2018
I spent 4 years with this company and I loved it. This was my first "adult" job and it helped me become the woman I am today. I had a wonderful staff and served amazing customers. My boss and I bumped heads a few times but over all I think she meant well.
they're so-so
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Eielson AFB, AKMarch 7, 2018
they arent very good at judging who they want in their management. and sometimes you get management putting their friends in management, its kind of a mess.
Pros
half off lunches
Cons
no patience for anyone
Cashier
Cashier/25hrs (Former Employee) –  Tyndall AFB, FLMarch 7, 2018
Not much room for advancement. Low pay. Must work night and weekends. The customers are the nicest I've worked for. On your feet all day. Usually have to start part time.
Pros
Nice customers and coworkers
Cons
Low pay, hours at night and on weekends, not much room to advance.
fast paced work invironment.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Leonard Wood, MOMarch 7, 2018
wonderful place to work very fast paced. Awesome staff and team they will help you with anything you need help finding. I learned a lot about the military uniform. The hardest part but also the funnest is Saturdays and Sundays when the basic and ait soldiers come in because it is slammed packed. So their is no time for slack anytime while working their you are always busy helping someone or stocking.
Pros
no taxes
Cons
no discount
productive
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAMarch 7, 2018
Working for affes was not only fun but productive, i learned about responsibility and accountability. Management was great a little stressful but great.
Pros
lunch is half off
Cons
had to pull a double shift sometimes
Productive, professional environment
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  DelawareMarch 7, 2018
Good, steady work. Probably best as a first job or for a dependent looking to make a few dollars. Little to no opportunities for upward mobility. Overall, good place to work.
It really depends on where you work
Retail Sales Specialist (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fort Sam Houston, TXMarch 6, 2018
Great job but it depends on where you work in the company. Its rewarding to work with the troops and the company has a great structure. Like anywhere it's a toss up on who you will work with and that factors into job satisfaction.
AAFES Experience
Analyst (Current Employee) –  DFW AreaMarch 6, 2018
AAFES is an amazing company and one must remember we are servicing the best customers in the world, our military.
Like any other company, it success depends on management and good employees. Some management is amazing, while others are disjointed and disorganized.
A typical day at work starts around 7 and ends around 4:30. Depending on which group you are in will depend on your work.
The hardest part for me at the moment is working in a very disorganized group with some poor performing co-workers. While there are some good ones, it's difficult when the few carry most of the load. Performing well means getting more work, whereas performing poorly, means less work.
The most enjoyable part is seeing the fruits of our labors come into fruition and seeing our satisfied customers.
The benefits here are amazing. Great retirement and medical/.dental benefits.
Pros
Great retirement and medical benefits.
Cons
Disorganized lower management, overworked when perform well
It's a great company it just could use some better management
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 5, 2018
There be little space everyday for new shipment sometimes there will be enough space for it. It takes a lot of energy working to get out the product each day 5 days a week. I think the management could be better on how the product is getting out and the space to move around to put back stock up. There is no discrimination against anyone can get along well with everyone. The hardest part is unloading the truck with so little space in short amount of time. When
Pros
Meet new people and lunch breaks
Cons
Short breaks and no benefits to intern
Great work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Patrick AFB, FLMarch 4, 2018
Fast paced. You get to meet different people, The weekly special and discounts always change so you must know what is on sale at all times. Extensive opportunites to learn
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Not eneough hours
I work well my my Co-Workers
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 4, 2018
I start by checking my food and beverages and making sure they're FDA guidelines. Busyness of serving customers is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Night Differential Pay
Cons
Short Breaks
productive work environment
Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (Former Employee) –  Fort Leonard Wood, MOMarch 1, 2018
long work days very productive job lots of on hand training lots of individual instruction supervision was acquired also plenty or training was acquired by each individual.
Great temporary job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Lee, VAMarch 1, 2018
I worked for AAFES during the several months my boyfriend and I moved out of state for training. This job was a good place holder and source of temporary income.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.