Army & Airforce Exchange Service Employee Reviews

terrible work ethic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tinker AFB, OKFebruary 12, 2018
Do not work here if you are a hard worker in any job position that they allow. The managers here, especially the store manger, will not value your work, and instead work you like a dog, and just keep throwing tasks at you that that they either didn't finish, or someone else didn't finish. In the beginning, working here felt nice and I felt welcomed, but as time progressed, I really got a taste of what the tinker exchange was like. It is a pretty big store, and there are numerous employees that they hired, however it seems like there are ten people who work in this whole store. No one is willing to help. For example, we were preparing for a HQ visit and the manager wanted to dust off some shelves in the perfume area, so instead of asking the associate in fragrances to clean her own area, she had me and another employee do it, we both worked in clothing.
This was the worst experience for my first job.
Cons
Bad management
Good place to work!!!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Jackson, SCFebruary 12, 2018
I liked the job and the work environment. My only reason for leaving was the lack of full-time hours. If I would of been slated for a full-time position, I probably would still be there.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Hours
Company dedicated to taking care of military.
Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 11, 2018
AAFES is a company that gives its profits to soldier programs. You work hard to meet goals but taking care of military and their family is rewarding. If you continue with AAFES you can get a benefited position.
Benefits
Cons
Retail hours and schedules
part time jobs come with benefits
Shift manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 10, 2018
Part time jobs come with benefits, they have a variety of jobs and skill levels. The biggest plus is working with all military members. There are a lot of nice associates to work with. There is no typical day or hours it all depends on where you work and if you are INT, RPT or full time.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 8, 2018
I enjoyed working there for as long as I did. I was pushed to leave due to a lack of growth potential. And that didn't sit without, I'm happy.

I love everyone that was closer to management and utilized regulations
Pros
Overtime, Peer-1 on 9
Cons
Overtime, pay
achivements
Store Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Belvoir,VAFebruary 8, 2018
Getting enough sleep to prepare yourself for the interview event, Once hired in , management training /computer classes schooling were available online with( A A F E S). promotions were granted based on successful completion of schooling . However, I graduated with a degree in Network System Administration,,which boots my chances to receive a promotion.
if you have no job and need a job.
Material Handler HPP5 (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 7, 2018
as long as you come to work on time and do your job its a great place to work but not a career. Overtime if you need extra money. Trained as forklift driver. Hardest part of job is communication among management and priorizing workload. The enjoyable part of the job is being able to help others transition in their positions, being able to be of assistance.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
low employee morale
Boring and awful
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hanscom AFB, MAFebruary 7, 2018
You can get good hours doing basically nothing while you work the only bad part is cleaning the bathrooms. The store manager of the store I worked at was an awful manager she was very bipolar. The work is very laid back so if you want a easy paycheck it’s good.
Pros
Not a lot of work
Cons
Cleaning bathrooms and management
Convienece store with segurity of the base
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moody AFB, GAFebruary 7, 2018
Ok job but would not work there again. Exchange people tend to be a uptight, rank orientated people that has the potential for unnecessary drama. I don't like to play popularity games so never really fit in
Pros
Safe feeling
Cons
Drama
Good place
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 6, 2018
It is a very good place to work at as a part time or full time employee. The benefits are good. Huge opportunity for advancement and the chance to easily relocate somewhere else and deploy with military members.
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAFebruary 5, 2018
Very fast pace, friendly customer, great management team that guides the team members through the process of achieving the goals of the team as well as ensures the team understands the goals and the roles they play in achieving the goals.
Pros
N/a
Cons
healthcare cost
productive workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAFebruary 5, 2018
a typical day for me being a cashier begins with making sure the money in my register is counted and always equals to the same daily amount available to me . greeting customers with a smile being courteous at all times .making sure the customer is being served in the best way possible .training is very good and there are lots of training sessions trough out the year. instructions are easy to follow and I always had help if getting stuck on a subject .management worked with me when for good reason i need it to change work hours .working for me with this company was a good experience .i have to say the hardest part in my job was standing long hours in one spot .I was encouraged however to move around in the store doing other tasks .I really enjoyed my co workers all in all I have had a lot of good memories .
Pros
flexible working hours .
Cons
short breaks, standing in one spot for long time period.
Enjoyable but not for me
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXFebruary 5, 2018
I loved this job but due to supervisors words and actions, I figured the job wasn't for me. there were days where I'd be sick and throwing up and my supervisors would tell be I still needed to come in (regardless of health and safely laws) and I felt like I wasn't viewed as a valued employee. it was at the point I realized all this that I decided to leave.

all of that being said, my manager (not the same person as supervisor) was absolutely amazing and extremely understanding and I loved working with her.
Pros
food discounts
Cons
short breaks (if any), disrespectful supervisors
The workplace is very competitive and not in a good way.
MATERIAL HANDLER II (Former Employee) –  Waco, TX 76712February 5, 2018
The hiring process and the gob placement is not paid based on experience. The move up process is not very fair either. The people in the company hire within the company based on cliques. It was not a very fair place to work.
Challenging work environment with many opportunities to advance
Concept Manager Burger King Express (Former Employee) –  Fort Polk, LAFebruary 5, 2018
While working with the Exchanged I met many informative people. I always enjoyed working with the Exchange workforce. I learned many of the skills that I have today with the Exchange.
Pros
Vacation leave, Sick leave, health and dental benefits
Cons
Long work days, as the years passed very little employee recognition
Busy work environment
Inventory Control Associate (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 4, 2018
Job security, some benefits.I would like to have a full time job with full benefits. Salary OK, but would be better to have higher rate.
My typical day is check emails, check negative on hands. Plan my work at the sales floor. Connect to supervisors and managers when needed. Make sure promo merchandise is ready for sale and has a correct counts. Make sure all needed changes on the planograms will be completed. Help stock merchandise at the sell floor. Make sure items have a correct prices and counts. Assist customers.
Horrible place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Fort Leonard Wood, MOFebruary 3, 2018
Management is a joke. They would prefer to dictate and yell and make the whole work environment a hostile place. Scheduling is not done right so the shift is always short handed.
Pros
half off lunches
Cons
overworked, breaks are optional in the managers eyes, availability sheets are overlooked.
Political drama with lots of complaints from everyone
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 2, 2018
No one liked going to the AAFES that I worked at (there were two). They were constantly getting emails and calls in complaints. No one wanted to be there; customers, employees or even the management. They pushed their personal views on their employees as well, acted highly unprofessional (including slander and abuse of power by writing employees up over nothing), they don't care about their customers which is a shame because the customers were always great. People constantly tried getting others they didn't like fired, and there was an extremely fast hire-fire-quit rate. Ultimately I was fired for the health disabilities I had mentioned upon interview and being hired (which they had accepted) and with one I was unaware of at the time (heart problems), which was triggered strongly because of the physical stress I was put under trying to work to the best of my ability despite my disabilities. There was a time that I almost fainted because I was the only one working and there was a long line, and the manager insisted I leave my register to stock some drinks in the cooler... WITH the line waiting on me. I was told upon termination that I should look for a job better suited to my health but they insisted (to Human resources) that it was because I refused to work--never mind most of management being impressed with my efficiency and work ethic.
Pros
Work with military, very rarely had any problems with customers and I enjoyed serving them
Cons
everything else, the environment, the management, the pay, the lack of benefits, the lack of professionalism, ect.
Productive and fullfilment of a day
Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Bliss, TXFebruary 2, 2018
I make sure to be ready and out the door so I can get to work at least 30 minutes before ‘start time.’ That way if there are delays such as traffic I’m still on time for any meetings or important tasks. I check voice mail and the calendar, then plan my sit down work time around other things like meetings. Sometimes it’s hard to balance between being friendly and keeping on task, but people understand that I don’t like to chit chat during the day – I like to work.”
Pros
Deailing with all customer and be able to provide the correct assistance
Cons
Just busy
rough
Food Service Forman (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAFebruary 2, 2018
it was awful until you get promoted, if you get promoted. the culture is one of "screw up move up." there are too many people trying to run things and not enough people actually doing work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army & Airforce Exchange Service. Our community is ready to answer.