Army National Guard Employee Reviews

Found 13,933 reviews matching the search See all 14,189 reviews
A great organization to get an edge in the work force.
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Brunswick, MENovember 25, 2018
Paid training and competitive compensation/benefits. There's so many options when joining the Army National Guard. You take a test and it tells you what MOS or jobs that you can choose from. Depending on how you score on the ASVABS (test) there is a wide variety, from technical jobs like Electrician, HVAC , to cyber security and office jobs. You get an edge in the job by getting such specialized training and being in the military looks good on a resume.
Pros
Health Care, Dental, vision, retirement packages, advancement, pay, and honor
Cons
takes away from your civilian life, and can be time consuming
A normal two day drill
Non-Commissioned Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKAugust 16, 2018
A typical day either consisted of being in the motor pool in the morning and doing admin in the afternoon or being in the field running fire missions. I learned to be assertive, lead, and have initiative. Management varies depending on what level you are addressing. On a company/ battery level, things made sense. When the top brass got involved, we felt like nothing made sense. The workplace culture is dependent on the jobs in the unit and the people in it. They can be relaxed and friendly or toxic and stressful. Hardest part of my job was being away from family when emergencies came up. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to do things that I would not be able to do in a regular job. An example would be shooting rockets.
Pros
Flexible, Provides benefits
Cons
Hard to move up depending on job
Not for Everyone
CBRN Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gardena, CAJuly 31, 2018
A typical day is a day where we have first formation, where we wait for them to tell us what exactly going to be doing that day. It is never the same, but it always feels the same even though a day has just gone by. I learned that you have to take things with stride and try to make yourself busy in order for the days to pass a lot faster. If you do not try to apply yourself and try to do things to help out the platoon the days are going to drag. Workplace culture is that it is the military and you have to learn to conform to their culture and not the other way around. The hardest part of the job is that you signed a contract and you have to meet that contract because nobody forced you to sign the contract to join the military. The most enjoyable part of the job is the human component and the people that you are surrounded by.
Pros
People
Cons
Long hours, No/Some Benefits, it sucked
educational, promoted discipline, and time management
Aircraft Technician WG-11 (Current Employee) –  Annville, PAOctober 8, 2018
To start off the day we would have a leaders meeting that consisted of our goals for the day then inform and task the Soldiers of what was going to transpire for the day. After all the tasks were accomplished we would get together and discuss what went wrong and right for the day and how we could improve on these areas. Management gave the freedom to allow everyone to make decision to help everyone feel like they were part of a team. The hardest part of the job was managing two units equipment and ensuring each unit was equipment to deploy at a moments notice but the enjoyable part was seeing each unit succeed at each and every training event to includes deployments.
Pros
Benefits, team, incentives, local gym
Cons
Job is based on being in the military
Productive and rewarding
Field Artillery Fire Direction Specialist (13J) (Current Employee) –  Hanover, VADecember 9, 2018
A typical drill weekend would (depending on your unit and MOS) would usually consist of you and your unit working in the field. You will rely on your chain of command if you have any questions or concerns. Your leadership will try to absolve your problems as soon as possible. Workplace culture is dependent on the type of people in your unit. Some people are very laid-back while others can be very straight forward and goal orientated. Overall, you will be treated with respect and dignity Most enjoyable parts of the job are developing comradarie within the people of your unit. These people can get to know you years after your ETS date and provide a valuable network for career advancement.
18 years and counting.....
Behavioral Health Officer (Current Employee) –  Mustang, OKNovember 27, 2018
I began my Guard career 18 years ago as a junior enlisted soldier. I was working state law enforcement and wanted a part time job for income supplementing. Research showed the National Guard offered the best salary for the least amount of hours. Keep in mind, this was prior to 9/11. I started part-time, but ended up resigning from state law enforcement for a full-time Guard position. I stayed full-time for 12 years, until I commissioned. The Guard sent me to medical school and clinical training (I was paid to go to school and clinical training without having to use my GI Bill). I look forward to making it to my 20th year. The National Guard provided opportunities that will help me continue success well into retirement years!
Pros
Opportunity to grow, learn, and specialize at little to no financial cost for the individual
Cons
Stressors of Combat deployments, and long training events
Good time being a professional musician
PERFORMER/TRANSPORTATION NCO (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARNovember 14, 2018
Being a musician for the National Guard was a great experience and I would highly recommend for anyone who is going to school to be a band director or a music teacher.

The downside to this particular job with the National Guard is that there is not a lot of room for advancement. However, if you are willing to transfer to another unit and do another job, there is a lot of room for advancement.

The other bad thing is that sometimes the military stuff gets in the way of the music stuff. The military has a "one size fits all" attitude when it comes to training and it works for the most part.... but with the band units it actually would be worth it for the military to reevaluate their training plans verses the rest of the battalions training demands because the mission of the band units are VASTLY different than the mission of almost every other unit.
Pros
Great benefits
National Guard Review
Infantryman/SAW Gunner (Machine gun) (Current Employee) –  Cullman, ALDecember 16, 2018
I am a 11Bravo/Infantryman. My specific job is a M249 Machine gunner. A typical day can very depending on type of drill weekend. Home station drill can very from mandatory briefings and classes to taking the Army's APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) to gear inspections to cleaning gear, equipment and weapons. A Field drill can very from various weapons qualifications to clearing buildings/urban operations to field craft, executing missions and clearing objectives to completing operations in a wooded area or water area. Etc.....
Pros
Healthcare, Life insurance, discounts, retirment, good management and comradre.
Cons
long working days, bad career advancement, challenging work, lack of schools and training.
Army National Guard
Officer/Logistician (Current Employee) –  Fort McClellan, ALNovember 14, 2018
The Army National Guard has excellent opportunities for advancement both in the military and civilian sectors. Also the Guard presents opportunities and challenges to help elevate you to the next level. With the health benefits, extra discounts, additional courses, and additional benefits (money for schools, discount on nearly any trip or vacation, family functions, community services...etc), the National Guard is a great way to either serve as a part-time employment or full-time employment. As any job... it is what you make of it. However, the difference is that the opportunity is there and you can go as far as you would like/image as long as you are flexible and dedicated. I have 24 years in and initially started as a Private E-1, and converted over to the officer side after 10 years and awaiting Lieutenant Colonel board for promotion.
Pros
Benefits, pay, travel, money for school, military discounts
Cons
demanding expectations causing more than normal flexibility from the individual
Challenging, fun, and diverse work environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 30, 2018
Being in the Michigan Army National Guard was always ever changing which was one of the more challenging aspects of the career, but at the same time one of the most rewarding. Interacting and leading my team toward a common goal assisted in refining my leadership skills. Superiors valued and listened to different ideas presented to them. It is truly a team mindset that is encouraged and developed in all members. the toughest part of the job is long hours. The most rewarding part was the sense of completion you received after a particularly tough mission.
The army
92A Automated Logistical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 22, 2018
the National Guard is what you make out of it if you desire to have a career you need to go for it you need to put your name out there and just go for the position that you want don't let the crew is full you into trying to get you to join and not tell you the full benefits or the full cons of the job actually speak to somebody who is so late in the army or even just in the National Guard to really get a taste of what it's like because not all army men know how each position is
Pros
Great benefits of sense of value chances to move up
Cons
Pay honestly should be a little bit more for the sacrifices soldiers make
The National Guard is a great organization. It stands for something however it is very hard to work for the patriotic cause for little compensation.
Education Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 2, 2018
Working for the National Guard is not bad if you are doing it as a Tech that is also drilling. The pay is very minimal and I can not afford health care given my current position. The National Guard wants employees with a higher educational background then they are willing to support with competitive pay and benefits.
Pros
it is a job that works to help those that serve the state and the nation.
Cons
No benefits for civilians unless you can afford it out of pocket.
Quartermaster and Chemical Equipment Repairer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GA 31906November 7, 2018
"It is an honor to serve your country and state"

"Great place to work at with great benefits"

"Pay and benefits as well as I worked with some of the most amazing people I have ever known"

"Even on the part-time side you can get your tuition paid all the way to your doctorates"

"good benefits good program and good pay"

"Some time away from family is required- but it's worth it to serve your country"

"Some long hours can happen, so be prepared"

"Not recognized as well as active duty service members"

"Time away from family, mentally challenging"

"being away from home and family"
A great sense of comrade with peers and upper echelon. Excellent benefits. Excellent training. Adquate pay.
Combat Veteran, airfield operations. (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lewis, WA, Iraq, Kuwait, Camp Murray,Wa.October 17, 2018
I am proud of my service. There is not enough room on this page to list all of the training and personal benefits I recieved. There is the comrade that few other workers at their job in the civilian arena will experience.
Pros
Benefits, time management, leadership training, lifesaving training, military bearing and discipline skills. Training that has been beneficial for the rest of my life.
Cons
Time away from home, family, friends, use of deadly force training, combat.
Productive Job Culture Workplace
Signal Support System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXNovember 11, 2018
Work was consistent and divided among teams. Management was decent but the team leaders made the work fun and enjoyable although demanding. The hardest part of the job was the long hours if needed but the most enjoyable part was my co-workers making each day pass that much easier with less stress.
Pros
often paid lunch, co-workers, dependable leadership
Cons
short lunch, long hours depending on task
Army Guard
Logistics Officer (92A00) (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2018
Its only one weekend a month so it isnt that much to put up with. The weekends can be long with a lot of standing around, but just try to keep yourself busy and it wasnt that bad. Pay and benefits are very good, and if you dont like what youre getting paid, work on getting a promotion. No one cares about your career like you do. Do the work and you will be paid for it.
Pros
Commraderie, Benefits
Cons
Long hours, Standing around, Too many complainers around
Fast paced, travel, never dull
Recruit Sustainment NCO/Unit Military Pay NCO (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MO 65802September 19, 2018
Busy days. Long hours. Can be exciting. Travel is regular. Leadership can lack at times. Great culture. Diversity is a plus. Great pay and benefits. Time away from home can be challenging.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
A lot of time away from home
Great Opportunity
Specialist - Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sparta, ILOctober 6, 2018
I loved working with my immediate soldiers. Easy to get along and as long as you do your job everything is good.

The higher ups were absolute trash. Complete mismanagement and is the reason I left. They were horrible with communication. You could have your duties finished by 3:30, but not get out until 8pm. (This was at my unit. Each unit has different leadership).

If you use most of the benefits, schooling, GI bill, you can't beat the compensation.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Certain leadership
a stable enviroment
Unit Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSAugust 21, 2018
army national guard is a way to serve while remaining close to home. the training and benefits are nice and well worth the high stress environment when first starting out. its not for everyone though. the guard emphisises physical fitness and disipline in their soldiers. both of wich help lead a productive and healthy life. the guard is open to most anyone looking to get more out of life.
Pros
beniefits, paid lunches, great career advancment. and well orginized job enviroment.
Cons
high stress and requires much time to fully train.
Productive and educations work place
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Napoleonville, LASeptember 17, 2018
A typical day consisted of designing sites for war. I learned how to work on and operate all kinds of construction equipment. Management was very knowledgeable and strict. The workplace culture was very competitive. The hardest part about that job was relocating to Fort Sill Oklahoma and Fort Lee Virginia without anyone to look over me at a young age. The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling from place to place and seeing new things and meeting new people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

2.8InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight