Army National Guard
Happiness rating is 77 out of 100

Army National Guard Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Enlisting in the Army was a very rewarding experience, I would say. There has been times where it was very challenging but i came out knowing more about myself.
I enjoyed working at the Army National Guard, until I could not get upgraded to another level as a Federal Government Employee while working there. I retired in 2016.
Pros
Working with helpful, workers who like getting together and celebrating other co-workers for retirement, birthday, promotions and other special occasions.
Cons
Working people who constantly caused problems, who never got into trouble, even though EEO complaints, were filed against them.ainst.
Stay committed and promotions happen automatically. The career path is second to none and formally guided by training courses and supervisors. It's really an inclusionary environment which promotes success.
Pros
Travel, promotions, skills, leadership training, and teamwork.
Cons
The first 3 or 4 years require humility and your ability to follow.
The job is a full-time military position. The benefits, i e , medical, dental, vision are free and I never had a problem with a care provider. The leadership skills learned can be used for a lifetime.
Benefits
Cons
very structured
It was a wonderful place to work, despite some of the negative issues that crept to the fore at times. We tried very hard to look out for those soldiers and their families who were in most need of immediate assistance. When I retired, I was honored and appreciated for my hard work and diligence. The only reason why I chose to retire was due to a health condition which has been arrested and under control.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
The Army National Guard has been an incredible experience. Love what I do and have been here for 20 years as a contractor so that should tell you just how great the place is to work for and I have met a lot of great and genuine friends.
Good place to work clear goal and good people I worked there for a long time and really miss it I have worked in 5 different positions since I have left and wish I was still working there
The Company is wonderful everyone here is very helpful and nice and help you if there things you don't know or need help with. The environment here is a plus.
You have to prioritize your goals. Your satisfaction with the job will depend on your drive, who you are working with and for, and your position in the organization.
Contractor, there is nothing to say about the Department of Justice as a whole this corporate website is forcing me to write this because at the end of the day they are a company and want to make money
A typical day at work was never the same. The constant variable was transitioning from the different stations, but each day brought new challenges and lessons. I had learned a lot about going above and beyond for the customers in order to get their medications to them in a timely manner. The management was very helpful and willing to work with me to perfect any areas of weakness. The most enjoyable part of the job was to get a patient that had been struggling to obtain their medication, obtain it at an affordable cost.
The opportunities at the Army National Guard are fantastic as is the Work Life Balance. Training and developmental opportunities are always available.
Extremely rewarding position with the Army National Guard. Had the ability to influence every aspect of recruiting, retention, and attrition management. Very high profile with lots of moving parts. I was part of a very close team that supported the mission and supported each other.
Interpret, develop and coordinate policies and procedures on Line of Duty (LOD) Investigations and Incapacitation Pay (INCAP) Benefits. Process requests for appeal and reconsideration of LOD determinations. Review administrative procedures and controls used by States and Territories to ensure timely and efficient management of the LOD and INCAP programs. Provide advice and develop policy guidance for personnel at NGB, ARNG, and States. Assist in the planning, directing, and coordinating activities of designated benefit, entitlements, education projects to ensure the goal and objectives are accomplished in accordance with established priorities, time limitations, and funding constraints.
Served as senior department advisor managing 7-25 team members and implementing multiple processes and procedures to streamline operations. Planned and implemented training programs; participated in developing training curriculum. Handled human resources administration including recruiting, staffing, developing hiring offers, and processing staff bonuses and incentives. Performed team member evaluations.
The years I have invested in the the National Guard has been some ups and downs along with some learning experience that improve me as a person. If I had a chance to do it over again I would. No industry or Company is perfect but doe that industry or Company meets your needs is the bottom line and for me the National Guard meet my needs and for that I can say thanks a million times.
Pros
Good Salary and Free Education and Training
Cons
Depending on Leaders it can be a very rigid workforce
Federal Contractors are treated as 3rd class employees and nothing is done to stop the bullying of the National Guard civilian supervisors and directors. It is not inclusive but exclusion that runs the day. I served 26 years in the military and have never seen anything close to this atmosphere in my entire career.
Was a stepping stone for me. Compensation is lower than the rest of DoD. Poor decision making support from leadership. Too much favoritism and questionable activity in the Front office.
Absolutely terrible non inclusive environment. Leaders are non communicative and leave employees and contractors in the dark. Contractors especially are treated as second class workers even with stellar qualifications. The leaders appear to be self centered and callously will step over people without regard.
Unlike a regular civilian job, a career in the Army National Guard requires you to be on-call 24/7 in the defense and protection of your home State. The usual State defense and protection duties entail service during natural disasters. While in service of the California Army National Guard, I've had the privilege of fighting wildfires during wildfire season. I have colleagues that have served during the civil riots in the early 1990's. We were all on-call to help evacuate potential flood victims during the Oro Dam crisis. Of course, we also train in logistical assistance in case of a massive earthquake. In addition, a Guardsman must maintain their actual job skills in preparation for federal active duty service. Opportunities exists for Guardsman to utilize their skills on active duty service almost anywhere within the U.S. However, an activated Guardsman usually deploys overseas in support of our country's interests. Overall, my 30 years of combined service has been satisfying and would not trade it for anything. Good luck to you!
Typical Day - Dynamic and Challenging Learned - Program Management Management - Mission Focused Workplace Culture - Harmonious Hardest Part of Job - Software Tools Most Enjoyable Part of Job - My Commute
Pros
Challenging Contracting Requirements
Cons
Limited lunch choices