Army National Guard

United States17,154 reviews

Found 17,154 reviews matching the searchSee all 17,473 reviews
nationalarmysoldiermilitaryciviliandrillcountrydeployment

Enjoyed the experience

Enlisting in the Army was a very rewarding experience, I would say. There has been times where it was very challenging but i came out knowing more about myself.

Fast-paced and demanding

12 hour shiftsconstant learning environmentbenefits are well appreciatedteam-oriented environmentself-drive is importantability to promotemanagement is based upon experience

Army National Guard insights

Based on 4,120 survey responses
What people like
  • Sense of belonging
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things

Productive and fun work place

During drill we did classes where they prepared us for Advanced camp. We did hands on learning like the different carrying methods, and land navigation lanes. The older cadets got to be stationed around the lanes helping the first years if they were lost. It was overall professional besides a few individuals. The hardest part is waking up early and spending the whole day at drill. The best part was being able to be around peers around the same age range (college aged).

Fun

Great place to work and great people i would send anyone to work there and i will continue for a long time i met some family her and hope it stays that way

Motivating Environment

For my unit at least, the people I’m around are very supportive and encouraging. They are also very knowledgeable in areas that I need to be better at, so if I have an issue with something, there’s always someone who can help.

Terrible

They will train you straight out of school. It's a good start of company if you don't have no tank experience and you need to take experience to go to a better company here 56 cm for regional but I'll let give you as local deliveries deliver it calendar that's some favorites as of now

Great

Best decision I made. Graduate college debt free with 4 year degree. Travel the world. Fly helicopters. Bonus’. And a controversial untested COVID vaccine mandate. And they’re going woke. So there’s that.

The Oregon National Guard should be a great opportunity for a lot of people but it's not. The culture of the Military has shifted and it's not something people want to be apart of. That's why Recruiting for the FY22 is at 38%.

Good

Good thing to do with your life for some time and experience in doing different kinds of things that sometimes maybe some other people havent done and you like getting yelled at sometimes

Good job for benefits

It’s great way to receive school benefits and if you’re looking to get out of active duty but still finish your years for retirement. I’d say join the Guard.

Great way to serve, and still have a career

I joined right out of high school. Graduated in May of 2020 and was shipping to basic training a month later. Everything is different depending on your unit and leadership, but the guard for my state and in particular my unit has been nothing short of fantastic for me. Heavily recommend for young people who don't want the hassle of pay for college, or for those older folk who always wanted to serve but never got around to do so.

Adaptibility

The upside to joining the guard is you never know what to expect and neither will your family or friends. Just be resilient and easily adapt to new surroundings

Too many chiefs.

Working in the Guard isn't a bad choice if you're in a good MOS, however the structure of the Guard has changed and being a mechanic in the Guard is difficult due to a significant shortage in personnel.

Pros

Benefits

Cons

Man power

Great Opportunities

Found my dream career through the Guard. I'm a little over 6 years in, on my second contract. I plan on doing at least 20 years with Minnesota. Their opportunities and benefits are phenomenal.

Get to meet new people

The schedule, one weekend a month and two weeks a year, gets changed. You could end up having a three day drill, from Friday to Sunday. You do get to meet a lot of people.

Pros

Tuition Benefit

Cons

Completely different from then

I’ll make this short and simple…..the differences in when I first joined, to the current date is seemingly like a never ending list. Back then you could earn your rank, but now unless you….how to professional or without saying this disrespectfully….unless you are “part of the inner circle”, your rank will remain and/or drop below NCO. Also, now, the way into that “inner circle” is by 1 of 2 ways….1) a relative in a higher command/ ranking officer or 2) which is the most common, is at the expense of others…(to put it in “slang or street terms” from throwing fellow soldiers “under the bus” or an action that in a sense hurts another fellow soldier emotionally, career, reputation, etc) to appease, or to make themselves “look good”.If you’re not in that “circle” trust me from 13 years of hope ….IT WILL NOT CHANGE….no matter what you do, no matter how many different things and times you correct the “issue”…there will be a new issue after that arises. I’ll end with this..again if you’re not in the “circle” and need help in personal life , whether it be financially, emotionally, or anything DO NOT expect or even hope they will help you. Trust me, it will end up hurting you more because of how it makes you feel when they won’t/ don’t , knowing that they could/ can

Decent opportunities for advancement. Tuition assistance for college.

The National Guard is a good way to earn money for college. There are plenty of opportunities to better yourself and advance your career if you apply yourself.

Ups and downs of the military life.

Basic Training was great, established a strong foundation for the military. Once getting to the permanent company, work tended to be stressful, unorganized, and lead by people who had poor skills in taking care of soldiers under their responsibility.

Change your perspective on life but too draining

It’s good way to set your self up for life but it has more cons then pros. Leadership can be very horrible all throughout battalions sometimes. But it’s what you make of it. The best thing is to get your benefits for serving and have good morale

Not for everyone but you may enjoy it.

Not for everyone but you may enjoy it, but be weary make sure you do research on your job before you enlist also see the location where your job will be located , run fast and your good.

I got assigned to a good company with good people.

To be honest I moved from Active Duty Army to the Army National Guard seeking to be back home. I was not sure what to expect of the National Guard, but I have enjoyed working in the guard for two years now. As one could expect you sign a contract. The guard will send you to get reclassed, if need be, as was the case for me.I was able to obtain certain certifications for free when I reclassed.

Common questions about Army National Guard

Answered by current and former employees at Army National Guard

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Army National Guard.
Powered byComparably