Army National Guard Employee Reviews

good for some
Aircraft power plant repairer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 15, 2018
the national guard is good for some that have good full time jobs, but for many of the typical Army enlistees, those 18-22 that do not have a good full time job the National Guard is not as good as going to the Active duty Army. for those who have a good civilian job the National Guard is great!
Pros
one weekend a month
Cons
not so good for young people without a job
Its a very close workplace.
Private (E-2) Infantryman (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 15, 2018
You will work with people in and around your town. Patrolling and giving aid to the town when and if disaster hits. You're a part time soldier, so you can still get the full benefits from the military, while also getting benefits from whatever company you're working with. Then you can retire from both and have 2 retirements.
Pros
You will always get paid and have a job, and you will always be able to help your community
Cons
There's no cons
Great organization with many opportunities, disappointed with leadership
Legal Assistant to the State Judge Advocate (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTAugust 15, 2018
This is a wonderful organization and there are so many opportunities. I was hired as a civilian and I only wish I had known how many opportunities were available through the military when I was younger. Very disappointed with the current leadership. I worked closely with them and it was very sad to see them silently fighting, stabbing each other in the back, and sucking up to the right people for promotion. It really does go back to "it's not what you know, it's who you know". There are few who REALLY have busted their butts to be in their position, but many of them have played them system, and several have even confessed out loud to me that they were promoted over others who deserved it more than them, because of a personality conflict with the superior Officer(s). Many high-ranking Officers with plenty of dirt on them who have gotten a slap on the wrist for something that may have gotten another Soldier some serious disciplinary action or even discharged.
Not too bad
Army National Guard Infantry (Current Employee) –  Dalton, GAAugust 15, 2018
well its not too bad but you may need to think about your life before you commit years to this organization. Overall I think its a great experience, just not for everyone
Not the most organized military operation.
Officer (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 15, 2018
Joined the CAARNG after active duty and it was a complete culture shock. Active Duty guard personnel often don't realize the issues they create with the lack of communication and last minute changes they make to the monthly drill schedule. Disorganization and disconnect between the "weekend warriors" and the active guard is rampant. Officers often do not fully plan events/drill weekends efficiently resulting in ineffective training weekends.
Working for the National Guard
Surface Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PA 15904August 14, 2018
As a member of the Army National Guard you have the freedom to work as a civilian as well as work a a soldier in the armed forces. The ability to work both jobs
It's the army.
Health Care Specialist (Medic) (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 14, 2018
If you want to build lasting friendships, then there is no better place to do it than the national guard. I still hang out with the friends I have made there.
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22204August 14, 2018
Like any organization, the agency needs to keep the right personnel in the right positions. The agency is a great organization however, there is often a lack of autonomy with in the organization, and many hours were spent in meetings without having a national impact across its supporting agencies and organizations.
Great
Supply Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIAugust 14, 2018
It is sometimes stressful, but I love the fast pace and organizational skills required to run the vault. My sergeant is great and makes me work hard to get what I want, which I do not mind because I love a challenge.
Great learning experience
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 14, 2018
great learning experience as far as the importance of working together as a team. Obviously, great benefits with tuition reimbursement. I accomplished things I never thought I could do which was great for self esteme.
Serving your state and country
Specialist E-4 (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKAugust 14, 2018
The National Guard offers the perfect blend of military and civilian life. You will become a better stronger person both mentally and physically . It also can at times allow you to see other parts of the world.
Pros
free lunch, get to shoot guns and be hooah.
Cons
lose a weekend
It's the military
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 14, 2018
It can be a fun place to work, as long as you do what you are supposed to do, when you're supposed to do it. Simply be in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform.
Tough but rewarding
88M Motor Transportation Operator (Current Employee) –  Cheboygan, MIAugust 14, 2018
you have to have the right mentality to join the military, but it is well worth the effort. the skills and personal growth you get through the military is second to none.
Benefits
Cons
Deployments, stresses, training
National Guard
Satellite Technician (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCAugust 14, 2018
Has a pretty relaxed environment that bases everything around military discipline, and our core army values Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage
I enjoyed working for the National guard
Soldier/Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
I started with the Army National guard in Georgia in 2007, it was a different experience for me and a year later I relocated to Long Island New York and continued until 2014, it was an adventure like the commercial says and if I had to do it again I would.
Challenging and rewarding
Company Commander (Current Employee) –  Union, SCAugust 14, 2018
Challenging and rewarding experience where you are given the opportunity to give back and serve your country. Leadership skills are utilized regularly.
Career
Sergeant / Bridge Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  El Campo, TXAugust 13, 2018
The Texas Army National Guard helps you learn to live a structured life and aids in making your life parameters outside of the military better. You have the ability to use tuition assistance.
Excellent community fairly driven
Automated Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAAugust 13, 2018
It is an awesome place to work fairly less as strict as regular army, you do get paid less but you also work less, more time for others things. Very good benefits, all around good atmosphere,
Pros
Free lunches, whatever you put in you get back
Cons
Low income job
Always training
Motor Pool Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYAugust 13, 2018
Typical day, roll call physical training class room training. You learn self discipline and respect for your fellow soldiers. Hardest part was sitting around waiting for order. Being part of a close knit group of guys that would take a bullet for you was good to know
Pros
Being able to defend your country
Cons
Sitting around waiting to move out
It's the Army
United States Army National Guard Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Lexington, VAAugust 13, 2018
It's the Army and with that being said your experience is what you make of it. Plenty of opportunities for advancement and plenty of opportunities to do the bare minimum and be passed over.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

2.8

3.1Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight