Army National Guard Employee Reviews

you get what you give, tough job
soldier (Current Employee) –  new yorkJuly 17, 2018
There is a lot of sacrifice to join the army.
Cons: time away from family, deployments at unexpected time. Injuries are common and can affect your entire career.
Pros: assistance with school tuition costs.
Fun and informative
Aviation Operations Specialist - E4 (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 17, 2018
I learned many life skills and will never forget the time I spent serving, but the leadership was unbearable and I knew it was not the career for me. Also the lack of advancement held numerous soldiers back from leveling up.
Great place to work.
Director, Continuous Process Improvement (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 17, 2018
Was able to get program organized and aligned with National Guard Strategies. Management supported staff. Culture was extremely supportive and applied both Lean and Six Sigma into process improvement.
Pros
Great environment to work
Cons
Many layers typical in a military organization
You don't have control of your career
RECRUITER/ADMINISTRATION (Current Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKJuly 17, 2018
It can be an amazing experience, but depending on your job, you will not be able to advance in a timely manner and may become stuck in a position. You have minimal control over what happens, but if given the opportunities, you can advance. Much depends on your chain of command.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement and micromanaging
Productive and fun
Transportation and Logistics (Current Employee) –  Arroyo, PRJuly 17, 2018
Army National guard is a great opportunity for the future a great place to grow and to expand to become a leader. All so to learn it open doors. Pay grade go's up with you're rank army life is awesome
I love the army
Supply Specialist (Current Employee) –  Morganton, NCJuly 17, 2018
I would recommend it for any one it’s hard at first but the best thing that has happened to me. I have learned so much I have also met some many people who are now close friends. I join for the life changing experience that I got I could trade it for anything else.
Pros
Training
Cons
Time away from family
Its not too bad
68W- Combat Medic (Current Employee) –  Fort Carson, COJuly 16, 2018
Being in the guard is nothing like I had hoped it would be. It unfortunately has involved a lot of travel just to get there and sit around. My latest command has been completely disengaged from the company and I do not feel like I actually gain anything from going to drill.
Military
Infantry Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Walterboro, SCJuly 16, 2018
This was more than a job. It was an adventure. I had more fun in basic training than anything I have ever done. Yes PT(physical training)was strenuous but everything else was just a blast!
The job is a lot like football. There's usually not much going on, but then it really kicks off.
Health Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2018
I think that being a Healthcare Specialist takes a special kind of person. You need to have a level of common sense and empathy when making patient assessments. All while being able to emotionally turn on a dime and shut those feelings out when you're handling trauma patients and treating them for success at the next highest level of care. It's not easy at all, and especially if you're in an infantry unit. You are the one that the platoon relies on as "Doc" you are the first person they go to when they have anything from as small as a rolled ankle to something as large as gunshot wounds and more complex injuries. You need to be an expert at your craft and always be learning something new about the medical field every day so that you don't run into a situation that you didn't prepare for.
hard and alert actions
Carpentry engineer (Current Employee) –  Bruce, MSJuly 16, 2018
Being at drill you are always doing something and everything you do you have to do it as if your in a combat zone. You have to always be alert and pay attention to all the classes they give because it can be a life or death situation and they teach you how to be prepared and know what to do if someth9ing happens.
Pros
you protecting your family
Cons
It can get really hot so you have to be prepared
Management Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2018
High paced environment. Leadership is always willing to listen to your ideas, but dont be discourage if they dont follow through on them. You will get as much as you put in. There is opportunity to grow and be successful. Getting a security clearance and leadership opportunities will open the doors for other jobs with the government.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Long days, hours
Productive, hi pace, hi demand, competitive.
Army Engineer (Current Employee) –  Puerto RicoJuly 16, 2018
Working in the national guard has helped me develop as a professional and an individual. Though it can be a stressful job sometimes, with a high physical demand, the reward for it can exceed expectations.
Pros
Free lunch, health care, dental care retirment plan, life insurance.
Great life decision
All Source Intelligence Analyst (35F) (Current Employee) –  Bluefield, WVJuly 16, 2018
The Army NG has been integral to providing me with great job experience to go out into the civilian world and make a decent living for myself. Would highly recommend to anybody on the fence about joining.
this is a part time job
Transportation Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 15, 2018
one weekend every month and two weeks a year
very friendly culture, a lot of hand on a job as a movement officer you will be inchange of every movement and coordination.
Excellent
Supply Management NCO (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, IN 46902July 15, 2018
Amazing Job if you can hack it. It's not for everyone, but it's for the one's that want an amazing challenge and opportunities. You get out of it, what you put into it.
Best job in the world
UTILITIES EQUIPMENT REPAIRER (Current Employee) –  Buzzard's Bay, MassachusettsJuly 15, 2018
It's the best job in the world and I love what I do. There is no greater employer in existence. The work is challenging but that's what I love most about my work.
More then one weekend a month
Infantry Fire Team Leader (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 15, 2018
Its the Army part time. Its fun but stressful. Underfunded but doesn't make up for lack of good leadership and good training. I miss it everyday. One of the best decisions i ever made.
Its the army
Army National Guard Member (Current Employee) –  OhioJuly 15, 2018
There really is nothing to say aside from the fact that it is the army, it is what it is.
Which means long working days, sometimes you spend all day waiting on other people rather than working and other times you do nothing but work.
Tasks are repetitive, training is provided.
A great experience recommended for young men and women
Communications SP, Motor transport operator (Former Employee) –  Plant City, FLJuly 15, 2018
I’m a communication specialist and motor transport operator logistics over the road transport and supply various jobs performed as needed for US Army
Pros
Learn excellent teamwork getting the job done together
community involvement
Telecommunications Repair/Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJuly 14, 2018
Training on your job skills for your military duty. Learned how to set up and manage communications equipment. Always felt like a family within the unit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Army National Guard. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

2.8

3.1Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight