ARTHUR MURRAY DANCE STUDIO Employee Reviews

Educational and entertaining
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 17, 2019
I loved teaching and had a sense of family here. I enjoyed my managers and had a balanced life work schedule
It can be competitive but that is all part of how you perceive your interactions with your fellow teachers. The competition kept me driving forward and achieving my goals as a professional.
Pros
Lively and never boring
Cons
Long days of physical exertion
Dream Job
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 5, 2019
I absolutely love my job! I’m always talking about work and inviting anyone I know to either work there or to be a student. Our employers are unlike any others, they care so much about their employees and strive to make them successful.
Pros
Paid Training, Energetic, Moving, lots of breaks, paid traveling
Cons
Physically extensive- must be in decent shape
fun place to work if you enjoy people!
BALLROOM DANCE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 22, 2019
Dance instruction is great exercise. In a studio (club-like) setting it can be very glamorous. You learn a great hobby while you teach. It can be very rewarding, and you meet some of the nicest people in the world!

One of the hardest parts of the job is being on your feet for 8 hours or more each day, but you get used to it and stay in great shape as a result! The hardest part though, is becoming a "sales person" and it can become VERY stressful.
Pros
Fun job, meet nice people
Cons
Hard to pay bills on a dancer's salary!
Depends on the Frachisee
Dance Studio Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 8, 2018
Just make sure the owner of the studio is invested in you. The job is amazing, but does not pay nearly enough until you work your way up. To survive you have to have passion, and a good team.
Back department (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTSeptember 5, 2018
It was a fast paced exciting place to work. Everyone was very friendly and you were able to meet interesting new people including staff and students. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a career change and is interested in ballroom dancing.
Pros
hour long lunches
Cons
not much time for breaks during the day
Very happy place to work
Bilingual Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 24, 2018
Recommended. Very understanding. Met new people just about every day. There are multiple personalities to be surrounded around. Owner is very sweet. Manager is amazing! Instructors were awesome to be around!
Every Day Is Different
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Paoli, PAJuly 31, 2018
I currently work at Arthur Murray Paoli. I enjoy being part of a great team of people who love to dance as much as I do. I also love that I get to share dancing with so many different types of people. It is very rewarding to look in a room full of people and know that you were part of their learning.There is a lot of information to learn at first, especially if you have no dance in your background, and it can be a bit overwhelming. But if you put in the effort, you can be successful. There are good days and tough days with any job, but at the end of the day/week/month, I look back and feel like I have brought something positive and happy to our students, and that is why I love teaching and working at Arthur Murray.
Stressful environment
Dance Instructor/Choreographer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 11, 2018
On the outside, this looks like it would be a great place to work. From the clients perspective, it looked like everyone was always happy doing what they loved. After you become an instructor, you quickly learn this isn't the case.
Pros
Constant training
Cons
Long hours, underpaid, unappreciated
Arthur murray
Dance instructor (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MI 49512June 28, 2018
This place taught me so much about selling, and being friendly with customers. It's a truly amazing job no day is ever a bad day, and this is another job id kill to have back, you can work here and still advance in life, I was young and dumb, this place is great.

Jake Lewis
Horrible Work/Life Balance
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, NJMay 20, 2018
Unless you’re ready to give up your whole life or just marry someone inside the company don’t even think I about maintaining an outside life. Forget your family and friends. You will need to eat breathe and sleep Arthur Murray. I feel really bad for the students, they thought is how to use manipulation and sales tactics to take your money.
Pros
Events and Dinners
Cons
Everything else.
Good dance training, poor employee experience
DANCE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 8, 2018
The dance training is strong. The AM syllabus is very good. The Arthur Murray system is not designed to build positive and healthy long term business relationships. Few quality staff members stay for more than two years. Gross pay is less than 9% of the sales brought in. Hours where staff is not teaching are not paid and expected to be used for training. Pushed to train (which is good) during non-teaching hours, however this time is unpaid and testing for certification often pushed back repeatedly so base pay does not increase. Focus is on sales more than the value of bringing dance to the lives of others. Phony attitudes towards students, leaving connections feeling hollow. Making a sale put above just about everything else. Staff making sales given trinkets and cheered on, staff having a bad week in sales treated poorly. Witnessed management angrily hanging up on someone asking for a reference of a recently resigned employee. Staff members showing success in sales and quality of dancing often promoted to leadership positions without an increase in base pay.
All you need to know right here!
Instructor, executive/manager, trainer (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 27, 2018
I have worked in the ballroom dance industry for over 15 years and have worked at Arthur Murray studios as well as independent studios. I have been an instructor, executive/studio manager and have trained many other professionals.

Anyone considering a career as a ballroom dance instructor, especially those professionals with experience, should know this:

I started teaching at Arthur Murray and taught the first half of my career at a couple different AM schools. When I finally left AM, I went to work at an independent studio where the cost of lessons were half the price for lessons at AM and I made nearly twice the pay at the independent school. It is widely known that AM is a good place to start without any experience. As a studio manager, I held a daily meeting covering customer service, sales, upcoming events, etc. as well as a daily dance session for instructors. There are many opportunities for training events, like joins sessions between schools in the same area and regional weekend long training camps. All of this being said, it does not guarantee your instructor will have a great deal of knowledge and experience. It takes a long time and a lot of dedication to develop your dancing as well as your teaching ability. There is a high turnover rate among instructors which means your very likely to get a green instructor for your outrageously expensive tuition.

Sure. There are benefits:
Dancing everyday
Sharing the joy of dancing with others
Exciting, fast paced social environment
Opportunity for advancement
Fun coworkers
Fun events-parties, shows, competitions
  more...

All of the above benefits can be achieved at any well run independent studio. But with AM, your life becomes another spoke in their wheel and they will try to push your square peg self into a round hole. I have seen AM insist a teacher change her name to avoid confusion with the veteran teacher of the same name. I’ve seen studio owners exploit employees countless times.

One last thing, if you don’t like sales, you will not enjoy working at AM. The sales tactics are non stop. Many students complain the sales pressure is too much. Regardless of how many paid lessons a student has on the books (try $10,000 worth of lessons prepaid) the sales tactics never stop. Not to mention, not everyone can afford a $20,000 weekend away competing.

This is simply my honest opinion. These were deal breakers to me and encouraged me to seek out other studios. Many people love working for AM, and I did too initially. I was young and drank the AM koolaid. Ultimately, AM just didn’t align with my true north.
Internship
Hospitality Intern (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMarch 21, 2018
My review would be vastly outdated as I've not worked for Arthur Murray since I had an internship with them to satisfy a requirement for my Associate's degree, which would have been about 11 years ago.
No time for anything else
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Paoli, PAMarch 11, 2018
It's a super fun job, you meet some great people and there are many opportunities to go to competitions and dance. Unfortunately, most of the time, it's working forty full hours a week and an hour for lunch each day. Sometimes, management isn't clear and there can be a lot of downtime where trainees are left on their own to practice routines for three or more hours at a time, before and after the dinner break. Also, if you're not a fan of second shift, this is not the right job. You're also required to work Saturday mornings and Friday evening. The management, for me, personally, made me very uncomfortable on political topics.
Pros
dance, not a desk job, fun people
Cons
no work-life balance
Wonderful for the dancer
Ballroom Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 23, 2018
This company has one of the most unique business models that I have ever been apart of. Dancing for a living is an absolute blast. However part of the reason why I left was because at certain points I felt like a gigolo.
Pros
Dance for a living, skill based advancement, smiles
Cons
Swing shift, gigolo feeling, long event days
Sociable & Fun environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 6, 2018
Working at Arthur Murray is not like working at any other company. You go into working feeling like you're a part of family, not a business. Because it is a dance studio, you always feel a bit glamorous and like there is a party going on. However, to create such an environment, it requires you take on a lot of responsibility and can be quite stressful at times.
Fun work environment, great team, awesome management.
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 14, 2017
Working at Arthur Murray showed me how to manage my time more wisely. It tought me how to manage my own business. I gained a lot of skills working there. For example: how to be a receptionist, how to provide awesome customer service, and how to work as a team.
Pros
Great team, health benefits
Cons
No cons.
Strong Character Builder
Executive Management Trainer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 30, 2017
If my life didn't take a left turn I would still be working for Arthur Murray. They are about the advancement of their staff and the options to move up in the company are endless. You receive a lot of opportunities to work with industry champions in an environment that is constantly helping you to be a better professional.
Pros
Secure, Unlimited Potential, Personality Building, Constant Training
Cons
Physical, Fast Paced, Multi-Faceted job skills required to do well
A dancer's dream job!
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAOctober 27, 2017
Low pay, and benefits are weak, BUT this is a job that you can truly love and look forward to EVERYDAY! Very fun, and very impactful. There is plenty of opportunity for self-growth and advancement. I think of going back daily, but this is not enough financial support when you first start.
A great place to work!
Ballroom Dance Instructor / Social Media (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 6, 2017
I can't definitively say how things are now as it has been some time. While I worked there things were just falling apart... The management would hire you for a dance instructor position, great! The only problem is they would never train you, and the only guy who could was busy trying to train himself so he could possibly get a raise some day.
You see, the pay goes in tiers based on how much you know. Each tier requiring a number of dances and a certain number of moves from each dance to be known. They're gladly train you to the "Bronze 1" level, so you can start to teach but, beyond that you're on your own. Which wouldn't be so bad but these moves require a vast amount of specificity and articulation. Thing's you simply cannot learn from a video.
If they'd be more proactive in their training then this could be a wonderful place to work. I loved all of the customers, I loved coming to work, I just didn't love knowing i'd never make more than $11 and hour.
Pros
Great environment! You'll love what you do, maybe even dream about it!
Cons
Bad management, low hours, bad pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ARTHUR MURRAY DANCE STUDIO. Our community is ready to answer.