ARTHUR MURRAY DANCE STUDIO Employee Reviews for Dance Instructor

Educational and entertaining
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 17, 2019
I loved teaching and had a sense of family here. I enjoyed my managers and had a balanced life work schedule
It can be competitive but that is all part of how you perceive your interactions with your fellow teachers. The competition kept me driving forward and achieving my goals as a professional.
Pros
Lively and never boring
Cons
Long days of physical exertion
fun place to work if you enjoy people!
BALLROOM DANCE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 22, 2019
Dance instruction is great exercise. In a studio (club-like) setting it can be very glamorous. You learn a great hobby while you teach. It can be very rewarding, and you meet some of the nicest people in the world!

One of the hardest parts of the job is being on your feet for 8 hours or more each day, but you get used to it and stay in great shape as a result! The hardest part though, is becoming a "sales person" and it can become VERY stressful.
Pros
Fun job, meet nice people
Cons
Hard to pay bills on a dancer's salary!
Stressful environment
Dance Instructor/Choreographer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 11, 2018
On the outside, this looks like it would be a great place to work. From the clients perspective, it looked like everyone was always happy doing what they loved. After you become an instructor, you quickly learn this isn't the case.
Pros
Constant training
Cons
Long hours, underpaid, unappreciated
Arthur murray
Dance instructor (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MI 49512June 28, 2018
This place taught me so much about selling, and being friendly with customers. It's a truly amazing job no day is ever a bad day, and this is another job id kill to have back, you can work here and still advance in life, I was young and dumb, this place is great.

Jake Lewis
Good dance training, poor employee experience
DANCE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORApril 8, 2018
The dance training is strong. The AM syllabus is very good. The Arthur Murray system is not designed to build positive and healthy long term business relationships. Few quality staff members stay for more than two years. Gross pay is less than 9% of the sales brought in. Hours where staff is not teaching are not paid and expected to be used for training. Pushed to train (which is good) during non-teaching hours, however this time is unpaid and testing for certification often pushed back repeatedly so base pay does not increase. Focus is on sales more than the value of bringing dance to the lives of others. Phony attitudes towards students, leaving connections feeling hollow. Making a sale put above just about everything else. Staff making sales given trinkets and cheered on, staff having a bad week in sales treated poorly. Witnessed management angrily hanging up on someone asking for a reference of a recently resigned employee. Staff members showing success in sales and quality of dancing often promoted to leadership positions without an increase in base pay.
No time for anything else
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Paoli, PAMarch 11, 2018
It's a super fun job, you meet some great people and there are many opportunities to go to competitions and dance. Unfortunately, most of the time, it's working forty full hours a week and an hour for lunch each day. Sometimes, management isn't clear and there can be a lot of downtime where trainees are left on their own to practice routines for three or more hours at a time, before and after the dinner break. Also, if you're not a fan of second shift, this is not the right job. You're also required to work Saturday mornings and Friday evening. The management, for me, personally, made me very uncomfortable on political topics.
Pros
dance, not a desk job, fun people
Cons
no work-life balance
Wonderful for the dancer
Ballroom Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 23, 2018
This company has one of the most unique business models that I have ever been apart of. Dancing for a living is an absolute blast. However part of the reason why I left was because at certain points I felt like a gigolo.
Pros
Dance for a living, skill based advancement, smiles
Cons
Swing shift, gigolo feeling, long event days
Fun work environment, great team, awesome management.
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 14, 2017
Working at Arthur Murray showed me how to manage my time more wisely. It tought me how to manage my own business. I gained a lot of skills working there. For example: how to be a receptionist, how to provide awesome customer service, and how to work as a team.
Pros
Great team, health benefits
Cons
No cons.
A great place to work!
Ballroom Dance Instructor / Social Media (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 6, 2017
I can't definitively say how things are now as it has been some time. While I worked there things were just falling apart... The management would hire you for a dance instructor position, great! The only problem is they would never train you, and the only guy who could was busy trying to train himself so he could possibly get a raise some day.
You see, the pay goes in tiers based on how much you know. Each tier requiring a number of dances and a certain number of moves from each dance to be known. They're gladly train you to the "Bronze 1" level, so you can start to teach but, beyond that you're on your own. Which wouldn't be so bad but these moves require a vast amount of specificity and articulation. Thing's you simply cannot learn from a video.
If they'd be more proactive in their training then this could be a wonderful place to work. I loved all of the customers, I loved coming to work, I just didn't love knowing i'd never make more than $11 and hour.
Pros
Great environment! You'll love what you do, maybe even dream about it!
Cons
Bad management, low hours, bad pay.
It wasn't great
Dance Teacher (Former Employee) –  Paoli, PASeptember 16, 2017
If you want to work nights and only have a little time to relax on weekends then go for it! If you like manipulating your students to sign up for every type of class and show, then this job would be perfect for you. However, I actually cared about my students, and I hate manipulation, so I left!
Dream Job
Dance Instructor/Choreographer (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTAugust 9, 2017
Not only is it learning to dance, it helps people develop self confidence, and positive self image. Working here you develop relationships with trust.
Fun work environment
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAAugust 1, 2017
No experience nessesary. Will train. Provides clientele. Advertises for lessons. Friendly work environment. Great benefits. Provides advancement. Pay plus commission.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Sales
Cool, fun, and active job but not somewhere I'd like to stay.
Ballroom Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Royal Oak, MIJune 1, 2017
This was a fun place to work because you were constantly getting exercise and building relationships with students. There was a lot of room for growth and advancement.
I grew a lot as a person
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIMay 22, 2017
I loved working for AM. I learned a lot of myself and other people's personalities and learning styles. I also had a lot of fun doing different events and dance parties every week!
fun and entertaining
Dance Instructor/Choreographer (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLMay 11, 2017
always exciting in the studio, lots of energy and music always playing

great eager students ready to learn and dance

positive co workers and staff!
Great place to work if you're starting out.
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 2, 2017
Arthur Murray is a great place to work if you're just starting out. It's a great place to get to know yourself and your teaching style. If you want to make money though, you'll need to move on and teach independently. They will try to change who you are and overwork you. They want the studio to be your life. They will take everything they can get from you. Trust yourself. When you feel like you're done, you're done. There are great places to work outside of Arthur Murray.
Pros
Great encouragement
Cons
Long hours, work every night, little pay compensation for the amount of work you do
Productive and an enjoyable place to work
Dance Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTApril 24, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to put a smile on individuals and couples faces everyday as they learned to dance with one another and knowing that I'm apart of that change
Fun place to dance and meet new people
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAFebruary 10, 2017
Working the night shift was not as easy as I thought but it was fun to learn ballroom, teach it and get to dance everyday. It was a party-like atmosphere and the staff was always very professional and took their jobs serious.
Pros
Free dance lessons
Cons
Wearing heels for 4 hours!
Fun exciting environment filled with dancing
Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 8, 2016
Every day is different; from teaching social dancing to choreographing a couples first dance for their wedding. I am constantly learning new dance moves, technique, how to teach a better dance lesson, how to make a connection with students. I work closely with my boss and management on my own dancing and all of the skills I work on every day. The hardest part is balancing taking care of the students while still working on my own growth. The best part about my job is proving to people who thought they could never dance that they can! The smile on the faces of wedding couples as they come closer together dancing to their special song.
Poorly Managed
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJuly 18, 2016
This job is 90% sales and only about 10% dancing. You are forced to go to trainings and thank the owners for this "gift" even though you have to give up your whole weekend and don't get paid. You basically give up your whole social life, which works okay since you don't make any money. I'd try and find a dance job somewhere else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ARTHUR MURRAY DANCE STUDIO. Our community is ready to answer.

ARTHUR MURRAY DANCE STUDIO Reviews by Location