ARTHUR MURRAY DANCE STUDIO Pay & Benefits reviews

Dream Job
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 5, 2019
I absolutely love my job! I’m always talking about work and inviting anyone I know to either work there or to be a student. Our employers are unlike any others, they care so much about their employees and strive to make them successful.
Pros
Paid Training, Energetic, Moving, lots of breaks, paid traveling
Cons
Physically extensive- must be in decent shape
fun place to work if you enjoy people!
BALLROOM DANCE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 22, 2019
Dance instruction is great exercise. In a studio (club-like) setting it can be very glamorous. You learn a great hobby while you teach. It can be very rewarding, and you meet some of the nicest people in the world!

One of the hardest parts of the job is being on your feet for 8 hours or more each day, but you get used to it and stay in great shape as a result! The hardest part though, is becoming a "sales person" and it can become VERY stressful.
Pros
Fun job, meet nice people
Cons
Hard to pay bills on a dancer's salary!
All you need to know right here!
Instructor, executive/manager, trainer (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAMarch 27, 2018
I have worked in the ballroom dance industry for over 15 years and have worked at Arthur Murray studios as well as independent studios. I have been an instructor, executive/studio manager and have trained many other professionals.

Anyone considering a career as a ballroom dance instructor, especially those professionals with experience, should know this:

I started teaching at Arthur Murray and taught the first half of my career at a couple different AM schools. When I finally left AM, I went to work at an independent studio where the cost of lessons were half the price for lessons at AM and I made nearly twice the pay at the independent school. It is widely known that AM is a good place to start without any experience. As a studio manager, I held a daily meeting covering customer service, sales, upcoming events, etc. as well as a daily dance session for instructors. There are many opportunities for training events, like joins sessions between schools in the same area and regional weekend long training camps. All of this being said, it does not guarantee your instructor will have a great deal of knowledge and experience. It takes a long time and a lot of dedication to develop your dancing as well as your teaching ability. There is a high turnover rate among instructors which means your very likely to get a green instructor for your outrageously expensive tuition.

Sure. There are benefits:
Dancing everyday
Sharing the joy of dancing with others
Exciting, fast paced social environment
Opportunity for advancement
Fun coworkers
Fun events-parties, shows, competitions
  more...

All of the above benefits can be achieved at any well run independent studio. But with AM, your life becomes another spoke in their wheel and they will try to push your square peg self into a round hole. I have seen AM insist a teacher change her name to avoid confusion with the veteran teacher of the same name. I’ve seen studio owners exploit employees countless times.

One last thing, if you don’t like sales, you will not enjoy working at AM. The sales tactics are non stop. Many students complain the sales pressure is too much. Regardless of how many paid lessons a student has on the books (try $10,000 worth of lessons prepaid) the sales tactics never stop. Not to mention, not everyone can afford a $20,000 weekend away competing.

This is simply my honest opinion. These were deal breakers to me and encouraged me to seek out other studios. Many people love working for AM, and I did too initially. I was young and drank the AM koolaid. Ultimately, AM just didn’t align with my true north.
Fun work environment, great team, awesome management.
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 14, 2017
Working at Arthur Murray showed me how to manage my time more wisely. It tought me how to manage my own business. I gained a lot of skills working there. For example: how to be a receptionist, how to provide awesome customer service, and how to work as a team.
Pros
Great team, health benefits
Cons
No cons.
A dancer's dream job!
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAOctober 27, 2017
Low pay, and benefits are weak, BUT this is a job that you can truly love and look forward to EVERYDAY! Very fun, and very impactful. There is plenty of opportunity for self-growth and advancement. I think of going back daily, but this is not enough financial support when you first start.
A great place to work!
Ballroom Dance Instructor / Social Media (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 6, 2017
I can't definitively say how things are now as it has been some time. While I worked there things were just falling apart... The management would hire you for a dance instructor position, great! The only problem is they would never train you, and the only guy who could was busy trying to train himself so he could possibly get a raise some day.
You see, the pay goes in tiers based on how much you know. Each tier requiring a number of dances and a certain number of moves from each dance to be known. They're gladly train you to the "Bronze 1" level, so you can start to teach but, beyond that you're on your own. Which wouldn't be so bad but these moves require a vast amount of specificity and articulation. Thing's you simply cannot learn from a video.
If they'd be more proactive in their training then this could be a wonderful place to work. I loved all of the customers, I loved coming to work, I just didn't love knowing i'd never make more than $11 and hour.
Pros
Great environment! You'll love what you do, maybe even dream about it!
Cons
Bad management, low hours, bad pay.
Great enviroment
Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRSeptember 26, 2017
They trained me in all different kinds of ballroom and Latin dances and I am currently working for them part-time, after I get out of my full-time job. Is a nice way to combine doing a hobby and getting some money extra,
Pros
Getting to meet lots of new people
Cons
Salary
Fun work environment
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAAugust 1, 2017
No experience nessesary. Will train. Provides clientele. Advertises for lessons. Friendly work environment. Great benefits. Provides advancement. Pay plus commission.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Sales
Great place to work if you're starting out.
Dance Instructor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 2, 2017
Arthur Murray is a great place to work if you're just starting out. It's a great place to get to know yourself and your teaching style. If you want to make money though, you'll need to move on and teach independently. They will try to change who you are and overwork you. They want the studio to be your life. They will take everything they can get from you. Trust yourself. When you feel like you're done, you're done. There are great places to work outside of Arthur Murray.
Pros
Great encouragement
Cons
Long hours, work every night, little pay compensation for the amount of work you do
Modern day slavery
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 24, 2017
The compensation was way to low for a grown person with bills to live off of. So many hours, dedication, and work put in only to find pennies in your paycheck. Management was very condescending and constantly blamed workforce for the state of business.
Pros
sales training
Cons
compensation
Not a good place to work if seeking stable income.
Applicant (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 6, 2016
Company does not pay for traoning. No compensation until they feel you are ready to teach or assist in teaching a dance class which could take months. Sales is a huge part of the position. Nice job for someone that has a room mate or may be retired.
Pros
Fun atmosphere.
Cons
Lack of monetary compensation.
Bad place to work
Ballroom Instructor (Current Employee) –  Narberth, PAJune 26, 2015
Management horrible. Don't know how to run business. Never present and do not train employees. Compensation too low for how many hours spent in building
fun and busy workplace providing dance instruction
Manager/Financial Counselor/Instructor (Current Employee) –  McMurray, PA/Downtown PittsburghFebruary 5, 2014
Each day starts off with an hour long meeting with the staff talking about students, good customer service, sales, problem solving situations and service and dance training. The rest of my day is spent making sales, continues staff training, phone calls with new clients, setting up appointments, scheduling and planning new events, taking payments, doing paperwork, taking daily inventory, and meeting with new clients.
As a manager I have learned a lot about professionalism, what great customer service means and that sales is relating to your customer and giving them the personal benefits they need through the product we are providing. Growing a strong, happy and positive team, striving to make the customer happy, and keeping the work place running smoothly are also some of the most valuable things I have learned.
The hardest part of the job was working towards exceeding the sales of the year prior and keeping the staff and customers happy, Though I was able to do so, it was stressful at times. The best part of the job was witnessing the growth of the staff and the studio and meeting so many wonderful people that made my day very enjoyable.
Enjoyable work environment
Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 2, 2013
I worked one on one with the students, to teach a variety of dance steps as well as suitable social behavior. I learned that each person we meet on a daily basis, is different from the last. I now know how to communicate with different personality types in a variety of social and personal situations.
Pros
Company training
Cons
minimal compensation
Fun environment with students and teachers
Studio Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MinnesotaApril 3, 2012
My day begins anywhere between 11:00am and 12:30. Once a week executive meeting ; staff meetings everyday . We discuss the day's business and future events for our students. Sales training is a major portion of these meetings. Dance sessions are sometimes included with training from our studio owner. When the owner is not present, I am in charge of these meetings. Students begin to arrive at 2:15pm and lessons continue until 10:00pm.

I interact with students throughout the day (getting to know them and enrolling them for "blocks" of lessons) while also maintaining communication with teachers about their lessons. I am responsible for accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank reconciliations, payroll, etc
My co-workers are great!

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know so many different students and see them receive the many benefits of dancing. In my 20 years at the studio I have seen that we have changed the lives of many people for the better; it is extremely satisfying.

The hardest thing about my job is that the hours are long and with the many "events" that we have on many weekend days, I have difficulty maintaining a "life" outside the studio.
Pros
fun environment with the students
Cons
2 week vacation after 2 years, 2 week vacation after 20 years!!