ARUP Laboratories Employee Reviews

Hated my experience here
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 2, 2018
My lab has been short staffed for the volume of work we complete the entire time I've been here. Management is rarely present. Compiance and retraining is a joke that isn't taken seriously. I feel constantly stressed at work. No one recognizes who does more or less with their shift, working harder and being more efficient has little to no impact on career progression. I felt like I was working in a sweatshop dungeon.

The benefits were good.
Company has lost sight of what made them who they are
Lead (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84120May 22, 2018
Employees are just a number, easily replaceable and expendable. Management claims to care and want to hear your concerns, but nothing is done to resolve those concerns when expressed. People who are forced to use federally protected intermittent leaves of absence are seen as undesirable employees and targeted by management for termination for other reasons.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Management does not care, it's every man for himself
Awesome Place to work
Client Services Representative (Full time) (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 8, 2018
ARUP has a great work community that really focus' on the employees health and happiness. Management is very professional and friendly. The benefits are unmatched, PTO, Long term sick leave, health insurance and more.
Management and Culture
Technician II (Current Employee) –  Research Park UtahMay 8, 2018
I wondered why laboratory management acts the way they do sometimes. And why the culture is what it is. Why doesn't the lab follow it's own written personnel policies?
Management at ARUP is compensated far above the pay grades of the employees that they manage. They also get huge bonuses and other perks that bench employees do not. It's not in their best interests to get involved in issues that might somehow threaten this compensation package.
Raise money has traditionally been dispersed to the departments in a lump sum. If employees leave before that money is dispersed then more is available for the employees that remain. That's predictably the bosses friends.
Supervision obviously games the system to increase it's own compensation. Employees get used as pawns when this is happening.
My lab and the ones near it seem always to be short staffed. The workload is heavy and everyone seems to be doing all of the work that they can.
Working here has taught me that on matter how much you're doing today, tomorrow you're going to have to do even more.
Working here is starting to affect my off time and my home life.
I think I'm going to start looking for another job somewhere else where these kinds of issues are not so common.
Pros
Free employee clinic. 24 hour shift choices. Maternity benefits. Child Care
Cons
Toxic work culture. Overwork. Parking. Gossip Rumors Retaliation
Learned so much
Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 4, 2018
Great place to work where I learned a lot but there was a culture of some “snobbish”-ness I would say in my area around conwotkers where near the end of my employment I felt like there were rumors going around just because you work in very close quarters with your fellow coworkers in a lab and you’d it around chatting all day as you do lab testing. Overall I had a positive experience
Awesome company
Administrative Assistant II- Full (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 3, 2018
I really enjoyed this job, loved the learning environment. It was fun knowing that what you were doing, truly was helping people. Benefits were incredible.
Benefits
Cons
Hours were tough sometimes.
Amazing place to work
ID- Pro Lad Tech (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 1, 2018
I would highly recommend working for ARUP. Although their pay is one of the lower in the industry the benefits and incentives far out weight it. The opportunities their are amazing.
Pros
Great bonus, Multiple labs, great work environment, great benefits
Cons
People keep their positions forever
Mediocre
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 27, 2018
I worked as a laboratory Technician for nearly 3 years. Management is usually non-responsive and distant, and very rarely tries to help solve problems in the lab and between colleagues. Internal advancement opportunities are rare, and even if you do get it, you're still just a cog in the machine; there's really no room for growth, just conformity.

The social landscape of ARUP is similar to High School. I heard gossip all day every day, and I would hear how people would get mad at each other for the stupidest reasons and would be at each others throats. On that note, HR was never really responsive to complains, I never honestly heard of someone who got any sort of conflict resolution form HR.

Benefits were the only thing keeping me around at the end, you get a quarterly bonus if the company does well (up to 750$ per when I was there) plus excellent quarterly profit sharing on top of a 5% pension plan. Since ARUP is technically owned by the state of utah, they were grandfathered into an old rule that exempts it's employees from income tax. However, on top of all of this, the pay is dismal. I left a company I had been with for nearly 3 years, and once I left to a different company doing less stressful work (albeit more rewarding) for TWICE the pay.

My overall advice, this is a great place to start in the lab field, but don't expect any recognition for your efforts, or praise for your actions.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, pension, profit sharing
Cons
Horrible pay, high school society, apathetic and overbearing management
Great place to work for entry level into the industry
IT Software Programmer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 22, 2018
This was a great place to work. The medical directors were great to work with. They are a great company for giving a chance to entry level people or people who don't have as much experience. They pay well under the average so they've set themselves up for a great place to get your foot in the door, but not a place to stay for your whole career. There's not enough career advancement.
Pros
Truly a great culture and friendly people, great for getting foot in the door
Cons
Low compensation, low advancement
Fun company
Processing Support Tech III (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 5, 2018
Love this company. They may not pay as much as how you want it, they instead offer you a great medical insurance premium. Not to mention other benefits like 403b and pension, plus profit sharing.
Mostly positive
Fragment Analysis - Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 3, 2018
Days earlier in the week were slow and they started to pick up later in the week. Hardest part of the job was the high pace and urgency of critical samples.
Overall a good place to work
SENIOR TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 28, 2018
A good place to work but the schedules for med techs aren't that awesome. The on-site clinic and free testing are good perks. Not a lot of room for advancement as a med tech, but a moderate amount of ability to move to a different position in the building if you show an interest.
I would not recommend this place
Specimen Processor II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 8, 2018
I would not recommend this place. Management does not resolve issues or take complaints seriously. A lot of favoritism is involved and they expect you to do a lot of work for a low amount of pay. The benefits are also not as great as they make them out to be. It's an okay gig if your in school, and using it as a stepping stone, but I would not recommend trying to make a career out of this place.
Pros
Lots of schedule options.
Cons
Managment, poor benefits. tedious work
Fun Environment
Quality Specialist, Point of Care (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 3, 2018
My team was awesome and my department was very autonomous but there was a lot of politics involved in almost all of the decisions that effected our group
Do Not Work In Client Services
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 15, 2018
ARUP is overall an excellent company. However, DO NOT work in client services/customer services!! Employees are treated unfairly and the attendance policy in this department is FLAWED. They do not listen to concerns or care about employees happiness. Please search elsewhere in this company for employment.
Cons
Client sevices
Don't work in client services!
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 15, 2018
Client services has a completely different atmosphere than the labs. It is all about who you know, and who you suck up to. They do not care about how hard you work, how long you have been there. All they are about are policies and procedures. Management has no clue what is going on and don't care about their employees feelings. They do not work with your personal schedule, if you have family emergencies, are sick too much, your kids are sick they don't care. All they care about is the bottom line.
Pros
The compay as a whole
Cons
Client services the department itself
Self-motivated Workplace
Specimen Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 15, 2018
Work days are long and taxing, but you're largely left to your own devices. Most processing technicians listen to music, podcasts, or audiobooks for the duration of their shift.
Lovely place to work, if you’re willing to work hard.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 9, 2018
I LOVED working at ARUP and I can’t wait to get back. I had an absolutely lovely manager and co staff. The benefits are amazing and helping people makes me feel great!
Pros
Great benefits
Great company to work for
Exception Handling Lead (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 6, 2018
Company is a great place to gain laboratory experience. They are very good at automating processes to gain the most efficiency. I definitely would recommend them.
Has a lot of positive motivational slogans that they don't follow
Specimen Processing Editor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 5, 2018
ARUP has the tendency to, because it's such a large company, allow management to manage themselves. No one handles things normally like you'd expect from management.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent wages, free gym, free on-site clinic
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ARUP Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

ARUP Laboratories Reviews by Location