ARUP Laboratories Employee Reviews

Good benefits with lots of oppurtunity
Instrument/Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 28, 2018
ARUP Laboratories is a good, secure company to work for, They have a lot of good benefits that are health related. Experiencing a lot of growth which has been challenging across all areas of the company.
Pros
Free health clinic and lab testing
Cons
lower wages, competitive work environment
good company
Specimen Processor (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTAugust 26, 2018
job satisfaction with helping people by processing their specimens and ordering the tests needed.Good company with good benefits.
Chances for moving up in the company
Pros
good benefits, decent pay
Productive and great environment
Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 16, 2018
The people were great. Made the job a lot easier. Had to take accountability for your own actions, had to be responsible. Helpful management, always willing to help in any way.
Pros
At office clinic
Productive and repetitive
Technician 3 (Current Employee) –  Salt lake cityAugust 6, 2018
Great place to work, benefits from day one. Friendly people but low chances of moving up in the company. Sometimes hard to work with in certain circumstances.
Fun Educational Workplace
Document Control Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 5, 2018
Wonderful place to work, learn something new every day, awesome training, every person is valued and input considered. Reward for innovative ideas. They provide free training to assist you with your job duties.
Pros
Input considered
Cons
DCS Position has only two levels for advancement
Excellent staff
Senior Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 23, 2018
Excellent place to work. Hourly compensation leaves much to be desired but is somewhat made up for with the option to opt out of social security taxes.
Pros
Opt out of paying social security
Cons
Management has no clue who does what in department.
Housekeeping Department allows sexual harassment in their Department
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  500 chipper wayJuly 9, 2018
They have the five pillars but the second pillar create a good work environment which is not been created in the housekeeping Department,,
Team leads were bad Management's bad not a good experience
Benefits
Hated my experience here
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 2, 2018
My lab has been short staffed for the volume of work we complete the entire time I've been here. Management is rarely present. Compiance and retraining is a joke that isn't taken seriously. I feel constantly stressed at work. No one recognizes who does more or less with their shift, working harder and being more efficient has little to no impact on career progression. I felt like I was working in a sweatshop dungeon.

The benefits were good.
Good company with usual corporate pains.
Validation Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 23, 2018
Good benefits with many opportunities. Like any big company your mileage may vary based on coworkers and supervisors. Not all departments are equal.
Pros
Benefits; learning experiences
Cons
bureaucracy; old mentalities often halts growth
Company has lost sight of what made them who they are
Lead (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84120May 22, 2018
Employees are just a number, easily replaceable and expendable. Management claims to care and want to hear your concerns, but nothing is done to resolve those concerns when expressed. People who are forced to use federally protected intermittent leaves of absence are seen as undesirable employees and targeted by management for termination for other reasons.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Management does not care, it's every man for himself

Want to know more about ARUP Laboratories?

Ask a question
Awesome Place to work
Client Services Representative (Full time) (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 8, 2018
ARUP has a great work community that really focus' on the employees health and happiness. Management is very professional and friendly. The benefits are unmatched, PTO, Long term sick leave, health insurance and more.
Management and Culture
Technician II (Current Employee) –  Research Park UtahMay 8, 2018
I wondered why laboratory management acts the way they do sometimes. And why the culture is what it is. Why doesn't the lab follow it's own written personnel policies?
Management at ARUP is compensated far above the pay grades of the employees that they manage. They also get huge bonuses and other perks that bench employees do not. It's not in their best interests to get involved in issues that might somehow threaten this compensation package.
Raise money has traditionally been dispersed to the departments in a lump sum. If employees leave before that money is dispersed then more is available for the employees that remain. That's predictably the bosses friends.
Supervision obviously games the system to increase it's own compensation. Employees get used as pawns when this is happening.
My lab and the ones near it seem always to be short staffed. The workload is heavy and everyone seems to be doing all of the work that they can.
Working here has taught me that on matter how much you're doing today, tomorrow you're going to have to do even more.
Working here is starting to affect my off time and my home life.
I think I'm going to start looking for another job somewhere else where these kinds of issues are not so common.
Pros
Free employee clinic. 24 hour shift choices. Maternity benefits. Child Care
Cons
Toxic work culture. Overwork. Parking. Gossip Rumors Retaliation
Learned so much
Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 4, 2018
Great place to work where I learned a lot but there was a culture of some “snobbish”-ness I would say in my area around conwotkers where near the end of my employment I felt like there were rumors going around just because you work in very close quarters with your fellow coworkers in a lab and you’d it around chatting all day as you do lab testing. Overall I had a positive experience
Awesome company
Administrative Assistant II- Full (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 3, 2018
I really enjoyed this job, loved the learning environment. It was fun knowing that what you were doing, truly was helping people. Benefits were incredible.
Benefits
Cons
Hours were tough sometimes.
Amazing place to work
ID- Pro Lad Tech (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 1, 2018
I would highly recommend working for ARUP. Although their pay is one of the lower in the industry the benefits and incentives far out weight it. The opportunities their are amazing.
Pros
Great bonus, Multiple labs, great work environment, great benefits
Cons
People keep their positions forever
Mediocre
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 27, 2018
I worked as a laboratory Technician for nearly 3 years. Management is usually non-responsive and distant, and very rarely tries to help solve problems in the lab and between colleagues. Internal advancement opportunities are rare, and even if you do get it, you're still just a cog in the machine; there's really no room for growth, just conformity.

The social landscape of ARUP is similar to High School. I heard gossip all day every day, and I would hear how people would get mad at each other for the stupidest reasons and would be at each others throats. On that note, HR was never really responsive to complains, I never honestly heard of someone who got any sort of conflict resolution form HR.

Benefits were the only thing keeping me around at the end, you get a quarterly bonus if the company does well (up to 750$ per when I was there) plus excellent quarterly profit sharing on top of a 5% pension plan. Since ARUP is technically owned by the state of utah, they were grandfathered into an old rule that exempts it's employees from income tax. However, on top of all of this, the pay is dismal. I left a company I had been with for nearly 3 years, and once I left to a different company doing less stressful work (albeit more rewarding) for TWICE the pay.

My overall advice, this is a great place to start in the lab field, but don't expect any recognition for your efforts, or praise for your actions.
Pros
Wonderful benefits, pension, profit sharing
Cons
Horrible pay, high school society, apathetic and overbearing management
Great place to work for entry level into the industry
IT Software Programmer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 22, 2018
This was a great place to work. The medical directors were great to work with. They are a great company for giving a chance to entry level people or people who don't have as much experience. They pay well under the average so they've set themselves up for a great place to get your foot in the door, but not a place to stay for your whole career. There's not enough career advancement.
Pros
Truly a great culture and friendly people, great for getting foot in the door
Cons
Low compensation, low advancement
Fun company
Processing Support Tech III (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 5, 2018
Love this company. They may not pay as much as how you want it, they instead offer you a great medical insurance premium. Not to mention other benefits like 403b and pension, plus profit sharing.
Mostly positive
Fragment Analysis - Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 3, 2018
Days earlier in the week were slow and they started to pick up later in the week. Hardest part of the job was the high pace and urgency of critical samples.
Overall a good place to work
SENIOR TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 28, 2018
A good place to work but the schedules for med techs aren't that awesome. The on-site clinic and free testing are good perks. Not a lot of room for advancement as a med tech, but a moderate amount of ability to move to a different position in the building if you show an interest.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ARUP Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight