Arup Employee Reviews

Not a great place to work
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2019
Management is not the best to work for and not valued as an employee. The not enough training and the company need to upgraded there training and operations
Great Company
Technology Support Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 22, 2019
Glad I don’t work there anymore. Management was harsh. Use you for what they need and send you packing. Other than that I liked working there made a lot of friends.
Cool projects, big growth potential, management is not transparent
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 15, 2019
I typically spent my day at the computer working on building system design drawings. I also completed calculations, coordinated with architects and other project consultants, also answered RFIs and submittals, and occasionally visited project sites. Most of my time was spent at a desk at the computer.
I learned a lot working at Arup, I started as a new grad and after multiple years with this company, I now have a fair amount of knowledge and expertise in my area of design. In my particular group, people were very nice, They were warm friendly, family-like, and very helpful. The culture can vary between different teams though (mine was fairly small 7-12 people). Some of the teams expect more overtime than others, and treat new grads less respectfully (expecting more overtime since they are 'younger' and 'don't have a family'). Although they say they are flexible work-place and there are options to work remotely, it isn't necessarily encouraged and can be hard to negotiate with your manager (depending on who it is).
The overall employee culture is good, people are pretty friendly for Los Angeles. There is an expectation of overtime that can create stress. Upper management is no longer in my opinion interested in balancing what is best for business and what will make their employees happy, and solely prioritizing what will expand the business. Maybe this is just growing pains of the business but I am not sure. I think management is not good at communicating. It does not feel very transparent, and the communication between top and bottom seems be less and less. I have had the
  more... experience of upper management discussing your job/situation extensively and then never being told the 'results' of these conversations, except through the grapevine of other people. It was very frustrating and seems overly bureaucratic and non-transparent.
The hardest part of the job is deadlines and working overtime. Due to the way the business works, there is often a lot of work around deadlines that cannot be done sooner due to waiting on information/coordination with others. The most rewarding part by far is seeing something you designed built.
This company also wants to see you develop, so they are willing to send you to conferences and education - but they will not adjust your workload for it.
They tend to pay less than other comparable companies and jobs in this area(comparing to friends in similar jobs/areas). You do get paid overtime (unless you are upper level engineer or management). The benefits are pretty nice, the 401k contribution is better than anywhere else I've seen. Also, it is a global company, opportunity to try to move offices through-out US or outside of US (not easy to move but possible).

Overall, if you are looking to work on really cool engineering projects this is a great place to work, but there are some potential drawbacks in terms of management and overtime.
Pros
Cool projects, opportunity for growth, lots of free lunches, good benefits (great 401k contribution)
Cons
Stressful deadlines, overtime, management prioritizes business over people
Very creative international consulting firm.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 26, 2019
Arup does a lot of creative engineering work in transportation and buildings. Employees have a great chance to exercise their creativity there. Arup is also very supportive of employees working on international charitable efforts like Habitat.
Great Company to Work for
Senior Project Manager, Cost & Schedule (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2019
8-5 Job other than in case of Bids. Lots of varied experience and a lot of responsibility. In all a great learning experience. Lots of changes in management in the past few months.
Work 3 times as hard to advance
Arup Staff (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Many pros to this company, but I will give you the cons. Although the office is filled with many very intelligent engineers, you will have to work very hard to prove your worth around managers that have grown comfortable in their positions and have no management or team building skills. If you are a woman, good luck, you will have to work 5 times as hard and not appear a threat but still have to undermine and brown nose to get real advancement and accolades. Do not rock the boat. Principals are making top dollar while even senior engineers are making a fraction of their worth. The benefit package is very appealing and better than other firms but be prepared to remind yourself of that when your salary does not increase after your first few years and you are working many extra unrewarded hours.
Pros
prestigious projects, excellent benefit package
Great company to work at
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 20, 2018
The company consistently promotes their mission statement of shaping a better world and there are a lot of interesting projects to work on. Your schedule is very flexible and there is opportunity to make your career what you want.
Pros
Autonomy, Flexible Schedule, Projects, Reputation
Cons
Management, work-life balance
Sr. Wireless Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJDecember 12, 2018
Sr Network engineer/Wireless
A network engineer is a technology professional who has the necessary skills to plan, implement and oversee the computer networks that support in-house voice, data, video and wireless network services.
Tres agreable
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  New YorkNovember 16, 2018
Great place to work with amazing culture and great projects to work on. The downside is low salaries.
Extremely intelligent and curious staff combine to create fun and interesting workplace.
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2018
If you want to be an engineer, this is the best place to do it! Lots of training and learning opportunities are provided to those who seek them. Workplace culture is relaxed - what you put in is what you get out. Occasionally you will be required to work late if you want to advance and have project ownership (but I believe this is the nature of consulting).
Supportive colleagues and challenging projects
Transaction Advice Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 17, 2018
Working at Arup was a great experience where I got to work on different projects, making me explore different solutions according to the challenges that every project had. My supervisors were very helpful when I needed advice, and at the same time, they empowered me to decide how to approach my tasks.
Pros
Bagel Fridays and casual Fridays
Good Place
IT Lead Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 10, 2018
Arup is a good place to work. I just don't feel I'm getting paid fairly. I have been there for almost 5 yrs and I don't see the opportunity to improve my pay
Pros
Its a fun environment
Cons
Pay
Doesn't live up to the hype
Graduate Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 11, 2017
A lot of high profile projects, and the company does a lot of cool things, but only a small percent of the company experiences that. Most people are overworked and management is very scattered and disorganized. The appraisals and opportunities for promotion only once a year delay advancement. Seem to be more concerned with profit than employee wellbeing. Workplace culture is the opposite of what I was expecting.
Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  LondonOctober 23, 2017
It's a place where to have a great career and not just a job. Being part of Arup was one of the best things I have ever did.

Directors encourage their employees and gave them great satisfaction that knowing you did something good.

Challenges were so many from day one, week one I was challenged to prove myself, to find where to stand within Arup, and to prove that I can be relied on when my colleagues needed the extra support.
You can actually "Shape A Better World"
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York City, NYAugust 29, 2017
Great work culture! Intensive cross-disciplinary collaboration amongst teams to bring to life groundbreaking projects across the world. Impressed with technical expertise of teams and their commitment to quality, creativity and focus on the client.
Pros
Brilliant Engineers, Iconic projects, Collabroative, Entreprenuerial.
Challenging projects
Engineer (Former Employee) –  NYJune 7, 2017
The projects were exciting and challenging. Potential to learn and grow is high. However everything is fast paced. There are many concurrent, aggressive deadlines and oftentimes not enough manpower to deal accordingly. Overtime, while not encouraged by management, is common.
Pros
Free friday breakfast, decent benefits, good matching program, exciting projects, good people to work with
Cons
stressful, "corporate" environment
Amazing work place with a lot of possibilities for growing inside the company.
ASP .NET Developer (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 21, 2017
Amazing work place with a lot of possibilities for growing inside the company. Great coworkers and great management. The company brings a lot of benefits and accommodation for working.
Had a lot of after work parties
Facilities Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 8, 2017
Ordering for co-workers and restocking meeting rooms. I've learned to be better with my time management and organizational skills. It's not very diverse and the there was no hardest part. I enjoyed getting to learn about buildings and engineering.
Pros
Lunch left overs, good medical insurance
Cons
no diversity
Great Office
Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2016
I only freelanced for a short amount of time there. While I was there the team was great and the work environment was welcoming and inspiring, I would consider working there again
Amazing workplace; challenging and a wonderful learning experience
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 31, 2016
The people I worked with were great. They challenged me enough that i learnt a lot but were also very helpful and patient when I had questions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arup. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight