Arup Employee Reviews

Fast Paced Enviroment
Blood Transfusion Specialist (Current Employee) –  UtahJuly 17, 2018
I do not really know what to write, but I have very mixed feelings about ARUP after being with them for 1.5 years. I definitely recommend doing your research on which department you might be going into.
Pros
Schedules are nice
Cons
Too many to name
Supportive colleagues and challenging projects
Transaction Advice Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 17, 2018
Working at Arup was a great experience where I got to work on different projects, making me explore different solutions according to the challenges that every project had. My supervisors were very helpful when I needed advice, and at the same time, they empowered me to decide how to approach my tasks.
Pros
Bagel Fridays and casual Fridays
Meh
Logistics Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 14, 2018
There's a lot of nepotism. If you're not an upper level member of the LDS church and/or related to a senior employee, you won't be treated well or advance in the company. It's even more the case if you work anywhere outside the medical centers or the labs.

Additionally, the environment is extremely cutthroat. None of the department heads get along and other pass the buck onto each other or blame their own employees. When I got hired, they claimed the stress-level was high because of the volume of work performed on a regular basis. Admittedly, there is a lot of work, but it is nothing I found unmanageable or torturous. If anything, I felt the stress-level was largely created and exacerbated by all of the unnecessary in-fighting and office politics. More often than not, an employees' ability to be able to do their work is often impeded by an incompetent manager or another employee. Arup infamously has a tendency to hang on to every single employee they hire, regardless of whether or not they actually are qualified and capable, and expect the other workers to pick up the slack if they refuse to do the jobs themselves. Essentially, the best way to be seen as a good employee is to do your job well, keep your head down, and say nothing negative whatsoever, even when they ask for suggestions on how to improve the work environment.

The only perks I can think of are the bonuses and that they pay for you to go through a lot of training. I was paid poorly but received bonuses ranging from $200-700 per month depending on how much I had exceeded my quota. It still wasn't enough to
  more... pay for rent, but it was good for my commute. The additional training is a great perk, depending on the department and your line of work, but it is unlikely to give you any sort of pay perks. At least you'll get the education and experience needed to find a job with a healthier work environment and better pay.  less
Pros
Insurance is good for those who have kids, good bonus packages for high-achieving employees, great daycare options for younger children, good deals for students at University of Utah
Cons
Nepotism, high-stress work environment exacerbated by management and HR, inability to prevent or manage inappropriate employee behavior, poor salaries, tendency to punish employees who seek part-time jobs to supplement their low income, lack of actual concern for employee welfare
Good Job, not my career
Molecular Laboratory Technologist I (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84108July 6, 2018
ARUP is a good place for those looking for a career in healthcare. It is also good for those going to school as they have a tuition reimbursement program. Not flexible with scheduling depending on the lab (many are 24 hour labs)
training was lacking but had potential
Blood Component Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 29, 2018
trainer was petty and unhelpful; not able to give me the tools necessary to perform well. otherwise the job was great! competitive salary. and room for growth.
Pros
pay, environment
Cons
training, management
Stable and Growing Company
Business Systems Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 20, 2018
ARUP is growing and is a stable company with many long-term employees. The people are mostly friendly and easy to work with. The most difficult part of the company is all the silos and tribal approach to problem solving.
Pros
benefits, friendly people/co-workers, work/life balance
Cons
lack of vision, difficult to get anything accomplished
The benefits were really great. Depending on the department there was a little bit of discrimination and favoritism.
TECH (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 13, 2018
There was always opportunities to advance in the company and they made it worth it when you did advance. The benefits were the best benefits i had ever had with a company and the made sure their employees were taken care of. There was some bias and favoritism from management with some employees but they said there was never discrimination or favoritism.
Arup
Processing Technician I (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 19, 2018
I was a processing tech I. The company has some of the most comprehensive medical benefits and retirement savings options I have ever seen. They also offer a free clinic to employee which extents to spouse and dependents. I felt as though I had poor management but do not feel as though this was a reflection of all management practices company wide.
Good Place
IT Lead Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJJanuary 10, 2018
Arup is a good place to work. I just don't feel I'm getting paid fairly. I have been there for almost 5 yrs and I don't see the opportunity to improve my pay
Pros
Its a fun environment
Cons
Pay
Doesn't live up to the hype
Graduate Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 11, 2017
A lot of high profile projects, and the company does a lot of cool things, but only a small percent of the company experiences that. Most people are overworked and management is very scattered and disorganized. The appraisals and opportunities for promotion only once a year delay advancement. Seem to be more concerned with profit than employee wellbeing. Workplace culture is the opposite of what I was expecting.
Very friendly work environment
Senior Client Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84108November 1, 2017
Loved this place, people were very friendly, management was very focused on helping. There were lots of work activities that helped bring people together.
Pros
Parties
Cons
Not enough pay
Productive, friendly and fun workplace
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  LondonOctober 23, 2017
It's a place where to have a great career and not just a job. Being part of Arup was one of the best things I have ever did.

Directors encourage their employees and gave them great satisfaction that knowing you did something good.

Challenges were so many from day one, week one I was challenged to prove myself, to find where to stand within Arup, and to prove that I can be relied on when my colleagues needed the extra support.
One of the best places i ever worked
Software QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 25, 2017
I loved everything about this company. The people I worked with were great. The Management was great. The whole package was one every company in America should try to emulate.
Pros
Cons
Salary was somewhat of a trial for me.
You can actually "Shape A Better World"
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York City, NYAugust 29, 2017
Great work culture! Intensive cross-disciplinary collaboration amongst teams to bring to life groundbreaking projects across the world. Impressed with technical expertise of teams and their commitment to quality, creativity and focus on the client.
Pros
Brilliant Engineers, Iconic projects, Collabroative, Entreprenuerial.
Challenging projects
Engineer (Former Employee) –  NYJune 7, 2017
The projects were exciting and challenging. Potential to learn and grow is high. However everything is fast paced. There are many concurrent, aggressive deadlines and oftentimes not enough manpower to deal accordingly. Overtime, while not encouraged by management, is common.
Pros
Free friday breakfast, decent benefits, good matching program, exciting projects, good people to work with
Cons
stressful, "corporate" environment
Amazing work place with a lot of possibilities for growing inside the company.
ASP .NET Developer (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 21, 2017
Amazing work place with a lot of possibilities for growing inside the company. Great coworkers and great management. The company brings a lot of benefits and accommodation for working.
Cooperate very effectively
Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  ShenzhenJanuary 24, 2017
A typical day at work:
Team morning meeting, go to construction site, design work

What I learned:
concrete and steel building design

Workplace Culture:
Respect each other
Help each other
Communicate very effectively
.....
Had a lot of after work parties
Facilities Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 8, 2017
Ordering for co-workers and restocking meeting rooms. I've learned to be better with my time management and organizational skills. It's not very diverse and the there was no hardest part. I enjoyed getting to learn about buildings and engineering.
Pros
Lunch left overs, good medical insurance
Cons
no diversity
Great Office
Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2016
I only freelanced for a short amount of time there. While I was there the team was great and the work environment was welcoming and inspiring, I would consider working there again
Amazing workplace; challenging and a wonderful learning experience
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 31, 2016
The people I worked with were great. They challenged me enough that i learnt a lot but were also very helpful and patient when I had questions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Arup. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight