ASCAP Employee Reviews

Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 14, 2019
As an intern, this place was pretty cool to be at! The intern manager is absolutely so kind and will take the time to listen to your goals and see how she can give advice or help in any way.
Working for Music Creators
Licensing Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 30, 2019
I liked feeling like I was helping music creators get paid for their creative property. However, the job can be demanding and stressful. The people I worked with were amazing.
Glad to be a part of the team
Professional Artist/Songwriter "Mike Dreams" (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJanuary 20, 2019
Historically, to be a songwriter, and be represented by ASCAP is a great honor. It allows me to be connected to resources and music industry professionals.
Pros
Access to award-winning songwriter and professionals, workshops, etc
Cons
My specific location doesn't have an Urban Music Representative
It's fine if you enjoy the call center lifestyle
Licensing Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 1, 2018
When I took the job it seemed too good to be true, which it was. It's less about customers needing to get a music license and more about you cold calling businesses to talk them into a music license. You are stuck for 4 months in the cold/dark office during the training period. If you don't make the goals set, you will be let go by month 6 after being put on a training improvement program. Otherwise, you actually get to do your job from home.

They have changed the way they go about obtaining the licenses, "a nicer way", but this way makes it even harder to get licenses and maintain your goals. They don't tell you that most days you can make 40-50 calls and leave 40-50 voicemails since people don't like to pick up the phone or call you back. This job is literally about luck.

The management doesn't communicate with staff very well and the most recent "training classes" seem to be guinea pigs to see which way they are going to try next to deal with customers. I love what PRO's do and fight for, but I don't enjoy the way they do it.

This just isn’t for me because I don’t enjoy being either yelled at, by customers, on a daily basis or hoping the next call someone’s going to actually pick up. You also have to find most of your own new customers. If you’re cool with 8 hours of negativity, then this is the job for you.

The only perks to me are, you can make some great money with the variable commission and I’ve met some amazing friends working for the company.
Pros
an hour lunch, summer hours, benefits, variable commission, possibly work from home
Cons
management, communication, telemarketing/call center, lots of voicemails, feels like groundhogs day
Good mission driven company
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2018
It is lovely to work at a company where you know you can make an impact in artists' lives. There has been a lot of change in the company which is difficult anywhere.
ASCAP is family
Telephone Licensing Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 30, 2018
I have enjoyed working for ASCAP. It's been a family for me for 12 years. I have no regrets working with ASCAP and learning about what's going on in the music industry. I "get" the music business and I would like to continue my knowledge and professional workmanship in this field of copyrights.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
stressfull phone calls
Ascap
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2018
Working at ASCAP was very enjoyable. Generally well staffed with some very talented people. It was an ambitious project to reengineer their Royalty distribution system.
Great Career
Senior Licensing Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 2, 2018
Phone calls to new businesses customer service, collecting fees on past due accounts, reviewing businesses who needed licenses, discussing music uses with business owners
Pros
Professional Organization
Cons
Constant Change in Pay Stucture
Good job
Coordinator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 18, 2018
If music is your passion then go for it . It takes time and dedication and a level head to undergo deadline pressure. But all in all the people and the job are good
Causual artsy invironment, quick paced
International Member Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2018
ASCAP was a wonderful place to work, The work is fairly easy but plentiful. Management was very helpful. Any questions or training needed was provided in abundance.
I loved This Job
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2017
Everything was great except the pay. Great co-workers, great management, great company events, great clients, and fun work. I love everything about it except the pay. The pay was way too low for the work.
Pros
fun, lots of time off
Cons
low wages
Though I'm a member of ASCAP, it pays me royalties....
Composer/Publishing Company - Licensed Member (Former Employee) –  Loc Angeles, CA>November 22, 2017
I have never technically worked at ASCAP, but as a member, I get checks from them for television, radio, theatre and live airplay of my songs and my publishing company receives royalties in the same way. I get paid a stipend from them as an incentive for writing for the theatre. And there are certain benefits I am afforded: use of their rehearsal rooms, questions about royalties, and miscellaneous contract information concerning collaboration and contracts.
Pros
An invaluable resource for composer and for publishing companies.
Cons
Everything must be registered. It is all up to you to keep the entries up to date.
Multi year project with heavy vendor influence
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2017
Multi year project with heavy vendor influence; complex music licensing business so having some background would be very helpful; nice & relaxed workplace culture but quick paced business expectations. Heavy influence of vendors.
Fun industry
Licensing Agent (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 16, 2017
The industry and business is interesting and fun to learn about - that's the best part of the job I think. It was good experience for being in Nashville and learning about the music industry
benefits
Cons
demanding
Mission of financially supporting songwriter members through licensing of their music is admirable but task of generating revenue is difficult
Regional Account Manger (Former Employee) –  NYCMay 22, 2017
Typical day consists of prospecting accounts and trying to license businesses that use member's copyrighted music. Goals implemented by management are difficult to achieve due to lack of support, misunderstanding of business environment in assigned territory and extensive travel time.
Outside Sales, with absolutely no help
Licensing Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 28, 2017
This job is not what you think at all. They will lie to you and tell you that you will have everything you need to be successful. But they are not interested in you at all. The commission is extremely low, and the training is sub par at best.
Pros
Cons
No help, no money, and you must provide everything yourself.
ASCAP does not care about their employees
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2017
Upper management will hand out surveys to be completed by employees. The content of the survey does not matter, the responses given by the employees do not matter. The surveys are a ruse simply used for the purpose of making company wide changes that negatively affect employees and positively affect the all mighty dollar, and provide a way for upper management to hide behind the survey as the reason for this change.

Management rewards those who work the hardest by giving them more work than is physically possible to complete in a timely fashion, then penalize them for that.

Certain managers do not do their work and instead pass along their assignments to the people below them who already have a massive work load. These assignments are usually given only hours before they are due to the employees who have never received proper training on that specific transaction. The employees are then yelled at and berated by these particular managers. In order to complete all of this extra work employees will work 11 hour days while not being compensated for the extra hours. When appraisals come around employees are reprimanded by these managers for putting out "poor" quality work. Some employees end up demoted as a result. These particular managers often leave the company as well to scam another business and harass new employees.

ASCAP's priorities need to change and they need to start caring about their employees.
Pros
They finally got free coffee
Cons
Health Insurance company is the worst
New York Employee
New York Employee (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2016
Business is going through a transformation and lots of new people being hired. The organization is going through a modernization which is exciting.

New CEO came on board in 2015 and is bringing ASCAP in to the digital age.

Great work environment, social opportunities and great time off policy.
Pros
Free Concerts, Social Events, Volunteer Program, Music Business
Cons
Some lazy employees
N/a
Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2016
No review being provided. This is not a real review. I am not providing any details about typical day at work or management.
educational, fun and motivating
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 9, 2016
Working at ASCAP was enjoyable and always gave me a feeling of self accomplishment. Worked closely with all departments as my position required it. This gave me an opportunity to interact with other employees and learn more about the music business. This also gave me the tools necessary to answer any questions the members had regarding their works, credits and royalties. The hardest part of the job was when the members were having legal issues due to licensing and I was limited in assisting in that area as they needed to involve an entertainment lawyer. Due to possible conflicts of interest.
Pros
Meeting composers and writers as well as entertainers
Cons
Can not think of any. ASCAP was a great place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ASCAP. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

4.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight