ASCD Employee Reviews

Reinventing
Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 23, 2018
ASCD is in a continuous cycle of reinventing itself - over 75 years old now, the company has seen a lot of changes in the last 10 years with declining revenues brought on by internal and external factors. Leadership is not in touch with the people and doesn't know how to run a non-profit.
Pros
Flexible and remote work hours
Cons
Culture, too many meetings, no real direction or strategy
Good Place To Work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 14, 2018
ASCD is a nice place to work. It's a small non-profit company with professional and dedicated people. Nice to know there are flexible work hours, and you are able to work from home if sick, need to take care of a sick family member, or have an unforeseeable occurrence. They are also very family oriented.
Pros
Work from home when needed, flexible work hours
Cons
people not too friendly, low salary
Not stable. Poor management.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 25, 2018
The company is in dire financial trouble and can't pull out of it. This is the fault of the board of directors who for some reason hired a CEO with no association management experience to lead a dying company. When your business model is based on selling products to teachers (who have no money) and school districts (who also have no money), what do you expect? Layoffs have been happening regularly for several years. And then they turn around and hire just as many folks as they layoff. It makes no sense. That's the gist of ASCD...nothing makes sense.
Pros
Salaries aren't bad for association work.
Cons
You never know what you'll be doing from one day to the next or what the company's goals are.
No Job Security
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 7, 2018
The company has undergone two rounds of layoffs in under two years, laying off approximately 50 people. Would not recommend due to the lack of job security.
Ascd
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  DC, DCJanuary 3, 2018
There was a lot of fear that the company could go under any day. Lots of people in power saying they new how to fix things, but nothing was ever changed.
Good internship opportunity
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 11, 2017
This was a great internship.

The CEO is really well experienced and a great person to talk to.

The workplace culture was pretty balanced, it was laid back and not stressful but work needed to be and was done. The associates I worked with were great, well knowledgeable.

Hardest part of the job was just adjusting to the new work and doing some assignments with software you hadn't used before
Good people, bad leadership
Director (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 4, 2017
ASCD has been the victim of years of poor leadership and bad business decisions which have culminated into the present state of the organization. Once a great place to work, it is now only great in name recognition only. Great people and colleagues, but continuous change in leadership causes strained business relations
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 6, 2017
ASCD is an organization that strives to provide innovative and creative opportunities to assist the success of all learners; making education a top priority..
productive workplace with a feeling of family
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 21, 2014
Answer product and service questions; suggest information about other products and services.

Open customer accounts by recording account information.

Maintain customer records by updating account information.

Resolve product or service problems by clarifying the customer's complaint; determining the cause of the problem; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem; expediting correction or adjustment; following up to ensure resolution.

Maintain financial accounts by processing customer adjustments.

Recommend potential products or services to management by collecting customer information and analyzing customer needs.
Pros
Flexible hours, great benefits, telecommuting options for most postions
Cons
Not much communication between departments
An organization that was turned upside down due to the economy
Service Center Consultant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 18, 2014
A wonderful place to work in the beginning of my 14 years of service. We were known as the organization that cared about the success of all learners. When 9/11 took place we lost a majority of our grants, and was forced to act as a for profit organization. With this happening we lost the drive to stay focus on the mission, it became more of just trying to stay afloat. I learned many job skills in 14 years. I entered the doors as a phone consultant and left as an event planner, a knowledge base manager, a coordinator, a project assistant and manager. I learned how to develop the skills of determination and not giving up on the task or dream at hand. My management was always supportive during this hard time, and was always able to give wonderful feedback. My co-workers became like family. The hardest part of the job was coping with the changes of becoming a for profit organization. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help others across the world.
Pros
Being able to help others, healthcare
Cons
Having to spend more time up selling and cross selling products
Great team environment
Associate Producer (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAApril 1, 2014
I have enjoyed my time at ASCD and have learned how to work in a fast paced environment. I have worked with a great team and will always appreciate the experiences I have earned by working with the Integrated Media department within the company.
Very flexible job with great co-workers
Program Development Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJune 7, 2013
I have been working at ASCD for 10 months. I really appreciate all the professional development opportunities as well as the great benefits and resources for work/life balance.I also appreciate all the work to reduce waste and the environmentally friendly culture that taking shape.

A typical day at work:

- Scheduling meetings to discuss program and service improvement
- Creating, processing and managing consultants, clients and members' contracts
- Supporting the Regional Program Managers and Program Director with their needs

My time with the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development has given me a strong background in managing and supporting business creativity and marketing efforts in a non-profit organization. I learned how to take initiative and leadership on various organizational projects. I also learn how to think outside the box.

Since my supervisor is based in another state, I have to manage the department by myself without any direction or supervision for the most part.

I have learned a lot from my co-workers. I find my co-workers are all considerate, professional and hardworking.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of a clear vision, direction and communication.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom to be innovative and be involved in various challenging projects.
Pros
Casual, yet professional working environment.
Cons
As with any large organization there are time consuming procedures and protocols to follow
Fun place to work
Service Center Consultant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 3, 2013
Supported workers and did the best training possible. Has great Christmas Parties and goes out their way to improve your business skills as an individual