Ascena Retail Group Employee Reviews

Ascena Retail Group
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Greencastle, INJanuary 2, 2019
I enjoy getting up each day to come into work. Management is very respectful to its employees. The company as a whole treats its employees very decent. The culture that we have here is we value our people and love our customers and we live by that. The hardest part of the job is getting ready for peak and working 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week. I have enjoyed working here and meeting a tremendous amount of new people and having the ability to work with a team that respects one another. Not a day goes by that I have not learned something from someone.
I loved my job i was there for the season but also worked hard 2 try and get on full time
Sorter/Packer (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INDecember 29, 2018
If you're not friends with managers you're nothing if you don't work you get everything if you work too hard you're punished I personally cared for the job but they obviously don't care about their employees again I was seasonal they keep the people that didn't work and they let the people go that did work
Pros
Free fountain drinks
Cons
If you're not friends with the manager or supervisor you're not liked
Hours were horrible. I wish they would tell you before you drive an hour to work that you didn’t need to come in.
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INJanuary 11, 2019
During what they call “peak season” they call you off work when there is no work. They also call you in for 12 hours as they need it every Monday it’s mandatory with weekends off. I do believe they over estimaded 2018 peak. There weren’t many orders, and the hours we worked were ridiculous. Ranging from 2-12 hours a day.
Pros
Lunches are served there $5 or less. Depends on what you have.
Cons
Breaks go really fast, supervisors have their favorites.
Management acts like children. They don’t promote anyone unless they are “in with management “.
Packer/Picker (Former Employee) –  Pataskala, OHDecember 18, 2018
Not a place for a career! You will be lucky if you get 25 hours a week on a 40 hour work week schedule! Management is too busy engaging in extra circular activities with younger employees. They make promises that they don’t keep. If you say anything about it you will be fired or let go. No room for advancement in anyway...this is a dead end job! Upper management sits outside on breaks and trash talks about every associate that crosses their paths.
Pros
Cons
Everything! Never seen a management staff that can do the things that they do to employees!
Receiving Lead/ supervisor in training (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CADecember 16, 2018
I was the receiving lead for second shift. I was one of the few who opened the building. We came along way. I loved my job even though it felt I didnt have a life I was able to get my own place and a new car. I worked many hours weekends and didnt mind one bit. Management when I was there was okay. Yes there was favoritism, and challenges between shifts but thats everywhere. Just do your job and you will be left alone. I would love to go back
A typical day at work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 14, 2018
There have been times i've walked into work and it's super busy. Many of us look to our managers to be levelheaded, calm, cool and collected, which they never are. They are always stressed out and they pass their stress onto the employees. We are all GROWN women but are spoken to at times in a very rude manner. For managers that have been apparently working there for years on end, they sure don't know how to carry a team with GENUINE support and guidance.
Enjoyed my fellow employees and direct supervisor
Packer/Picker (Current Employee) –  Greencastle, INDecember 26, 2018
Lack of correct information given to employee's by administration. It's as if it's purposely done. As well the lack of HR organization. I might add that the new HR Specialist was out of line during orientation several times. I do believe had a person of direct authority been present he would have lost his job.
Pros
Nice cafeteria, relaxed atmosphere, free drinks
Cons
Schedule, communication accuracy
Easy work but rediculous politics
Advanced Unit Processor (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INSeptember 24, 2018
I had one of the few good supervisors. But most are corrupt and couldn't care less about the ones under them. And HR is a joke. The highschool politics are mentally exhausting.
Pros
Good wage, climate controlled, free soda on breaks, cafeteria, not very physically demanding
Cons
Joke of an HR, upper management is corrupt, mid-management shows little to no respect, highschool politics among all levels of employees, mentally exhausting
Respectful, Profitable, Fun Place
V.P. Sourcing/Product Development (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PANovember 15, 2018
I had 8 great years with the brand. I was able to built a team from scratch, implemented new processes and saved cost of goods.
Implemented a very robust calendar that we all followed. we worked well with all cross functional areas and supported each other. The culture was one of the best in my career life.
It was alright
Style Advisor (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTSeptember 10, 2018
I loved my job with Ascena but not because of the company. My district manager was awful. She failed to answer phone calls, emails, and texts at times when our store needed her most. In my 2 years of working here we went through more managers than I can count on one hand... not good. This company is also very wasteful when it comes to packaging items and damaging them out. The only reason I loved my job was because of my coworkers. They were all such fun girls to work with and im happy to be able to call them my friends.
Work with no security
Packer/Picker (Current Employee) –  Etna, OHSeptember 27, 2018
In my time at Ascena, i witnessed a very large and continuous influx in hiring, and by direct result there was less and less work. In the past 2 months there’s has been several “vto”s(voluntary time off) and company wide shutdowns. And still the hiring continues as the work continues to Ebb
Pros
Decent pay and vacation
Cons
Poor work environment, lack of work and job security
Phenomenal Company
Loss Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Etna, OHJanuary 10, 2019
Up front paid time off/vacation leave is a huge perk. Management is great to work with, and it is apparent that higher echelon cares for their associates and employees. Career progression may be difficult depending on your department, but the pay is good in each division.
Best "factory" job area could offer.
Unit Processor (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INSeptember 26, 2018
Most days, this job was the best thing to ever happen to someone. I think HR and higher up people need to ACTUALLY listen and take their employees seriously. But over all it was a fun job, even though it could sometimes be very stressful. Wish more than nothing I could go back and work for Ascena. I would love to promote one day too.
Must be a jack of all trades and worked to no end with unstable schedules
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 18, 2018
Higher level management is VERY unorganized and disheveled when it comes to priorities. Schedules are constantly changing last minute to accommodate dysfunction in corporate & District levels of management.
Claim to care and provide work-life balance, but sales is the last point of focus as everyone is cleaning & merchandising, steaming clothes, unpackaging them , and all sorts of off the floor needs.
You also have to be a cashier between all these demanding tasks.
Training is pretty much reading the company manual with a manager.
Fun and relaxed workplace! Great for a first job!
Part-time Style advisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 3, 2019
Love working here. Couldnt have asked for a better first job especially for young girls! Postive message for girls and great work/personal life balance!
Pros
Good first time job, flexible hours, employee discount
Cons
Even less than part-time
Great company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 9, 2018
The company feels like a family. Great work/life balance and room for advancement. Training for employees has always been accessible. Benefit package offered and competitive pay scale if qualifications and experience are in place. Company has competitive discounts and specials for employees so you can represent the company. Discounts are available at all brands under the Ascena umbrella.
Very diverse and a lot of people to work with.
Ascena packer/picker (Former Employee) –  Etna, OHDecember 28, 2018
Very repetetive but not too straining mentally or physically. Overall i enjoyed it. The supervisors there were very understanding and helpful in case i found myself confused about something .
Pros
On site cafeteria.
Cons
Short breaks
Great job, but no advancement opportunities if you are under 18
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, UTAugust 29, 2018
I love working here, it's a super easy and fun job in a good environment, but none of us get paid enough for the work and if you are under 18 there is little to no chance of promotion even if you're perfect for the job.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy work, good environment
Cons
Too little pay, no advancement under 18
flexibility but could use more culture
Sourcing Manager, Western Hemisphere (Current Employee) –  Pataskala, OHNovember 13, 2018
work life balance is great as the company gives you tools to work remotely if needed. The culture however is a bit lacking. The company needs to encourage it's employees to interact and build a more family environment.
Fun place to work out but to far from me
Picker and Packer (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INDecember 8, 2018
I really enjoyed this job it was a fun place to work at other thanks the cons which would be terrible with schedules sometimes I worked 4 hours sometimes 12 hours it all varies it was never a set schedule.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Short breaks