Ascena Retail Group Employee Reviews

Productive Workspace but Still Fun
Lead Style Advisor/Manager of Justice for Girls (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJSeptember 22, 2018
While working at Justice I was able to learn countless new skills that would benefit me in my future career. Though it was work, being there was still a fun and exciting experience.
It was alright
Style Advisor (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTSeptember 10, 2018
I loved my job with Ascena but not because of the company. My district manager was awful. She failed to answer phone calls, emails, and texts at times when our store needed her most. In my 2 years of working here we went through more managers than I can count on one hand... not good. This company is also very wasteful when it comes to packaging items and damaging them out. The only reason I loved my job was because of my coworkers. They were all such fun girls to work with and im happy to be able to call them my friends.
Smart company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PASeptember 5, 2018
This is a smart company that tries to protect the smaller guys way down. They try to cut out things that are unnecessary to support future business. I know that it's hard to see the big picture sometimes but it's true.
I do feel that pay is fair, but it's hard to keep people because other companies fork over way more to people without experience. This is a problem with our country not so much this company. We are asking you to be friendly and helpful... not draw blood and stitch people up. I came from a huge retailer that paid people dollars more to start but the associates are lazy and ungrateful. They just want more money to do less work. They hired to meet a body quota.. just filler people.
You get to work in a positive and uplifting environment. I understand that there are stresses from higher up people that will trickle down but the concept is easy: show up and do your best and be your best self. Do not bother if you are negative and a stick in the mud. You have to be open minded and willing to go with the flow and the changes in retail life.
Pros
Fun, uplifting environment
Cons
Retail hours but that is everywhere
Great job, but no advancement opportunities if you are under 18
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, UTAugust 29, 2018
I love working here, it's a super easy and fun job in a good environment, but none of us get paid enough for the work and if you are under 18 there is little to no chance of promotion even if you're perfect for the job.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy work, good environment
Cons
Too little pay, no advancement under 18
Productive fun job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 29, 2018
Very fun job, if you love children this job is for you! Great management and excellent customer service is definitely required with this job. But overall great job
Great place
Service Desk Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Etna, OHAugust 28, 2018
working at ascena has been an enjoyment, although i feel as we are under paid compared to the average of Columbus, i have never had an issue working at ascena
good place to work
Picker Packer (Current Employee) –  Pataskala, OHAugust 28, 2018
running around and scanning items and throw it into a bin to send to packers. packers take the bin and scan the items and put them into bags to be shipped.
keeping the older workers down
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Etna, OHAugust 23, 2018
this place will NOT look at your past experience to qualify you for promotions or other opportunities if you start in any hourly position. Heaven forbid you are over40 and try for any supervisor or lead position
Pros
its a j o b
Cons
production goals, told when to have breaks and lunch, last minute notice of mandatory OT
Good Foot In The Door Job
Tier 1 Contractor (Former Employee) –  Etna, OHAugust 21, 2018
Good place to learn about IT telephone tech support. Positive work environment. Diverse staff. Most places I've worked have not been as good as ascena.

Pay and benefits are not great. This is not a career; it's a good start.
Must be a jack of all trades and worked to no end with unstable schedules
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 18, 2018
Higher level management is VERY unorganized and disheveled when it comes to priorities. Schedules are constantly changing last minute to accommodate dysfunction in corporate & District levels of management.
Claim to care and provide work-life balance, but sales is the last point of focus as everyone is cleaning & merchandising, steaming clothes, unpackaging them , and all sorts of off the floor needs.
You also have to be a cashier between all these demanding tasks.
Training is pretty much reading the company manual with a manager.
Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INAugust 17, 2018
It's a great place to work and plenty of room for advancement but work long exhausting hours puts a toll on home life. Long hours sometimes and other times no hours
Pros
Free drinks weightroom
Cons
Blackout time no days off for 20+days
slow enviroment
Pick and Packer (Former Employee) –  Etna, OHAugust 14, 2018
It was fast paced but management was slow. They did not get back with the worker in a timely manner however they expected pace to be kept up at a fast rate.
Pros
free fruit in the mornings
Cons
short breaks
Great company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 9, 2018
The company feels like a family. Great work/life balance and room for advancement. Training for employees has always been accessible. Benefit package offered and competitive pay scale if qualifications and experience are in place. Company has competitive discounts and specials for employees so you can represent the company. Discounts are available at all brands under the Ascena umbrella.
Energetic but Laid Back
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 31, 2018
I enjoyed working for Ascena Retail for the time that I did and I wish I wasn’t relocating that way I could stay with them. I’m hoping to get a job with Ascena in my new location.
Pros
Flexible Schedules
Cons
Not enough hours
Great company
Unlimited PTO (leadership)
Fair Leadership
Strong Collaboration
Cross Brand Experience
Managers and supervisors play favorites
Annonymous (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 20, 2018
Management gossips about employees. Very unprofessional. Lack of advancement opportunities. People in certain position you wonder how the heck they got there.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Do not work here
Unloader (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 20, 2018
Terrible place to work do not work here they only give you 8 minutes for break this company will go down bad if they don’t straightened up racist company
Loved the people i worked with but HR got ridiculous
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INJuly 18, 2018
Miss this job but don't miss some of the things. The jobs are never really too hard just have to stay busy and do your work. They use to care alot about the employees but that slowly changes over time.
Expert and collaborative place to work
IT Real Estate Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Pataskala, OHJuly 16, 2018
Everyone at Ascena worked well together as a team and were willing to provide assistance to co workers and other departments.

Excellent management team.
Pros
On site cafeteria
Cons
Distance from home to work
An okay place to work for those without children
UNIT PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, INJuly 13, 2018
the hours were weird, I don't recommend them for people with school aged-children. A coworker's house burnt down and when he asked for time off, which he had vacation for, Amy Pennington told him he should plan his moves better.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
short breaks, must keep up with employee performance tracking