Ascension Health Employee Reviews

I have worked at Ascension Clinic
Social Service Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 11, 2018
I have worked in three clinics. They have closed one clinic and then I was sent to fill in at another clinic. I have good days and bad day in the office I work in.
Pros
Payroll Deductions
Cons
They will close a clinic without much notice
Ascension was a good place to work until about 5 years ago. When Management changed things got progressively worse.
Procurement (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 10, 2018
Management changes in recent years sent the work load and work environment steadily deteriorate culminating in the layoff of hundreds including myself.
Meh
Emergency Department Technician (Former Employee) –  FranklinOctober 10, 2018
The job itself can be rewarding when you are actually helping patients who are in need. Unfortunately most of the patients have nothing wrong with them. The patients are often very rude and believe that you are part of the government so you must serve them because they pay taxes. Some of the employees are fun to work with while others are irritating because of their laziness or they are too busy spreading rumors about other coworkers or talking about their personal drama. Third shift shift sucks obviously, the pay is decent, the benefits are okay, and there is some good training on the job. The management sucks because they never listen to their employees and the department manager that was in charge during my time there was not helpful at all and definitely played favorites with very little effort put forth to hide their bias.
Pros
Pay, experience, on the job training
Cons
Management, coworkers, atmosphere
Disfunctional
IT Field Services / Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 9, 2018
The organization is experiencing numerous difficult issues during its acquisition of Wheaton Franciscan. It has many issues that are adversely affecting the employee climate.
Ascension
Manager (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIOctober 5, 2018
A typical workday is a 12 hour shift and work weekends but only get paid for 40 hours. There is no work/life balance. Vacation days are given but not allowed to be taken.
Health Care Standardization
Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinOctober 5, 2018
Has focused programs to provide feedback to management. Uses a nurse shift report which includes patients and family which patients and family members appreciate.
Pros
Monthly Associate Forums; Standardizes Patient Care Protocols
Cons
Computer System Issues
Compassionate, care about employees; people focused, efficient, thorough,
Project Coordinator/Photographer/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 4, 2018
Excellent workplace, open work space and areas; steady pace and calm environment, great leadership, wonderful accommodations, updated office equipment
Pros
Flexible schedule, Benefits, People/Co-workers, working Environment, Resources available
Mandatory OT
RESPIRATORY THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 3, 2018
I love working for Ascension. The company is great. I just dislike the mandatory OT. It takes away from home life. I'm not able to be present the way I need to be for my children. Although the money is great, somethings in life money can not compensate for.
I enjoyed this extership learning hands on.
Medical Assistant Extern (Former Employee) –  Howell, MIOctober 2, 2018
I thought, the other Medical Assistants training me were rude and not caring individuals. Everyone is in a hurry, they should have trained more professionally. It could have been a better experience for me. I did learn how to do the clinical side very well, I could do EKG, urinalist A1c, strep tests,phlebotomy, and glucose tests.I learned how to use EHR system room patients, and take vitals.
This is not a Tech Company
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 26, 2018
AIS claims to be technical, but they are not. I have worked on the service desk for over 3 years, and I have seen it go more and more towards customer service. They make us act like we work for Comcast when we are supporting other Ascension employees. We can have a quick, flawless call while fixing the issue and getting the doctor/nurse (or customer as management likes to call them) off the call in under 2 minutes, and STILL get marked down to a 68% on QA because you didnt say their name in the call and didnt show "empathy".

This place is the type to fire 20+ employees, including the DIRECTOR of the service desk all to save money, and the next day throw a pizza party. They dont care about you.

Management is a joke. You will have managers from separate teams come up to you and try to tell you how to do your job. Other managers who have never even spoken to you for some reason have a hand in the decision in allowing you to work from home. Team Leads dont communicate with managers. Afternoon and Midnight shifts are under staffed and are consistently ran over (and they wonder why people quit). You get 30 days of PTO (including 8 holidays) but you can never use them because only ONE person is allowed a day off at a time. Oh yeah, and when you are off a holiday, you only are granted 8 hours of PTO when you work a 10 hour shift.... so you have to use 2 hours of PTO to take a holiday off.

Other co workers are like children. The bathrooms are always a mess, the fridge is full of 2 week old food that no one can clean out, and people steal will steal your marked
  more... lunches.

Want a starter job with good pay? Come here. If youre looking for a career in tech support, go to HP, Caretech, or Henry Ford. You can have ZERO tech support experience and work here just fine. Trust me, I know. I had to train some of them who didnt even know what Active Directory was/is.

I left for a lower paying job. Says enough for ya right there.
Pros
Good pay, plenty of PTO (if you can use it), Free food sometimes for lunch
Cons
Management incompetence, Limited days off thanks to under-staffing, children for employees, clear favoritism of people who suck up to management
fast paced
HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 17, 2018
fast paced organization, in midst of massive transformation, wonderful mission and values, faith based, allows employees to bring whole selves to their work
Poor, unethical leaders
Talent Acquisition (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 11, 2018
Poor leadership, unethical leadership. Constant change with no change leadership. Poor health coverage. Be advised that Borgess offers no pediatric care.
Sterile
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Troy, MISeptember 11, 2018
I worked at the AIS service desk which was billed as a tech support job but ended up just being a customer service job. The time off was nice and they paid well when I was there. The work hours were completely inflexible your shift was your shift. Advancement was nonexistent especially if you were on afternoons or Midnights. When I was hired in I was told I would work 1 weekend a month but my shift ended up working 2 or 3 while other shifts worked 1 every 5-6 weeks. This was a customer service job they try to sell as a tech job but really all we did was close programs and reset passwords. I worked there for 2 years and ultimately ended up leaving for a job that paid less because it felt like a dead end job.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Just about everything else
Na
Imaging Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 9, 2018
I didn't enjoy working there at the end of my career. There was too much stress and the management that came on when we were switched to Ascension didn't seem to be on board with the mission of the company.
Enjoyable, but can be stressful
RECRUITNMENT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 6, 2018
I spend most of the day reviewing resumes and talking to candidates.
Management is mostly good. Some days I wouldn't have much work and since I am a remote employee it's not as easy to go to a manager and see if there was other things for me to do.
The most difficult part is HM's not realizing they aren't the HM that we are trying to help.
Pros
Benefits are AMAZING!, the pay is decent, and working from home
Cons
a lot of downtime some days, communication could be better
Terrible Management/Lack of communication
Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 4, 2018
Management needs to be viewed closely and Human Resources need to revamped in how they treat their employees. Favoritism/Lack of Communication/Lack of Advancement and Training.
Cons
Poor pay/Terrible management/Poor Work place culture and communication
Fast-paced company that has and is still in process of reorganizing to a National reporting model.
Administrative Assistant, Clinical Applications (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 31, 2018
Lot of good things: great benefits, great pay, training opportunities, great opportunities to collaborate with others in teams and individually, lots of flexibility with work hours to accommodate life balance (appointments, etc. that need to be attended that are during working hours)-can do flex time whereby you can make up hours missed, or use PTO whichever you prefer, do this is a great life balance benefit. The hardest part has been dealing with knowing that the company was reorganizing for the past several months (announcement was in July 2017) and seeing the leadership being reorganized first, then the last step was associates being reorganized and RIF'ed (reduction in force was done in June 2018), with over 300 jobs eliminated. Very difficult to endure all of this.
Relies on new nurses to fill staffing needs
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNAugust 31, 2018
Floors are routinely staffed with newly licensed nurses that are unprepared for a high patient load. Turnover is high and retention is low. Patient acuity is high without any evaluation of current needs to meet their demands.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Administrators are more focused on expanding rather than retaining staff
Fantastic company!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Appleton, WIAugust 30, 2018
The nursing staff is wonderful and works so well together. The management team is down to earth, easy to talk to and always there when you need them. Everyone is helpful and very skilled.
Pleasant co-workers, easy to communicate with management
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 22, 2018
Ascension has a mission to care for the poor and needy. The indigent require more care and time and Ascension provides us with the proper training to handle such needs. We treat a diverse culture and sometimes this can be difficult but the reward is that the patients are well cared for and treated, no matter what their ability to pay is.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ascension Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

61out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ascension Health.

Powered by Comparably