Ascension

Based on 1,615 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

very family oriented

Featured review

Ascension selected this as a representative review
management is making us feel like a family , always concerned about family activities and employee welfare .My floor manager is always following up with my situation good or bad she is there to support me , my co workers are also very supportive , they are there whenever you need them . there is a culture of oneness , we work as one , we laugh as one , we grieve as one

Fast pace work place

Great learning opportunity. Pay to work ratio is ridiculous. Nurses expect you to do their job to, and for the pay it's definitely not worth it. If you already have hospital experience unless they are willing to negotiate with the pay don't waste your time. Oh yeah and you only get 2-15min breaks and 1-30min break per 12 hour shift

Pros

Great learning experience

Cons

Short breakes, not enough pay

Supportive Staff

Learning a lot and growing. Great for nursing that understands the behavioral health population. Great nursing staff that are supportive of one another.

Poor management - poor pay --demoralizing

My facility was in Southfield Michigan. A typical day starts at 7am and if you're LUCKY! You are lucky you can get out at 7:30 pm. Maybe home at 8 pm, to get back to work the next morning at 7 am. The words you will always hear are. Expectation, Responsibility, Expectation, and Accountability. For example It is our expectation that you will see 12 to 15 patients for 45 minute sessions daily generating 38 to 42 units daily. You are responsible for performing your clinical documentation, including faxing the plan of care, scheduling on your own time or you will be held accountable. Physical Therapists promoted managers with no management experience, oh and they lie to you too. Administration expects therapists to punch in and punch out. However if you stay to make phone calls to patients or doctors you are questioned; Why did you stay on the clock so long? They work 32- 40 hours and you only get benefits for 20 hours. , If patients have to cancel appointments first thing in the morning or the end of the day. Management low census you. Meaning (LC) you do not get pain for that hour or 2. They will call you patients and rack and stack them. Again sent home early, even though you do not have your documentation done. This happens frequently!Otherwise treating the patients is beautiful and the coworkers are fun and highly skilled.

Pros

shift differential

Cons

punch in, assembly line, like atmosphere.

Great coworkers, bad administration

I loved working at Providence hospital before Ascension took over. Too much like a business. Micro-managing while not listening to employees. Great coworkers that really feel like family. But administration wasn't great.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Everyone is jumping ship

Every time you turn around someone is quitting. You never know when management is there or not. They only care about numbers cancel/no show rate. Communication with management is horrible. They care very little about your development/education.You have to go to acute or clock out if patients don't come in. Best part of job was coworkers, but a lot of people have left. 1 on 1 care - 45 min sessions. Good does not outweigh bad.

Pros

Coworkers. 1 on 1 care

Cons

Management, turnover, development, only care about numbers

I’m not a robot, I’m a person

I worked as a psychometrist for 3 months. My time there was torture. I didn’t feel like I had room to grow in my job. I was just meant to spit out productivity without the proper help and acknowledgement. My manager also didn’t listen to my concerns or care for me too much. The culture seemed fake and overly polite. I literally got called into the office because I didn’t smile initially at people. And then my coworkers were spying on my car to see if I was really handicap. Overall, my job was horrible. The people horrible. My manager: horrible.

Pros

I met a friend

Cons

Great learning experience for future nurses

Worked the nightshift 7pm-7:30am 3 days a week. I was pretty decent most nights, some nights were busier than others. The job was pretty repetitive and nothing challenging. My manager was very nice, she was helpful with all the questions and concern I had. Very flexible if someone needed to come in late or leave early. Really didn't see her often since most managers were on day shift. Training was suppose to be 6 weeks but my training was 2 weeks, so I was thrown in with the wolves not knowing a lot. Had to learn certain things the hard way. The night supervisors were fairly decent, some not as great as others. The hardest part of the job was dealing with self centered nurses and doctors who thought they were better than you. Dealing with people that have that attitude is always challenging. I enjoyed the independence of the job, literally you could go up to each unit 2-3 times and pretty much you stay in the office. Met a few friends and learned some knowledge relating to the Nursing field. Overall the job was easy, the nights were long and dreadful especially if the night was slow, management was ok. As a floating Unit Clerk no one really pays attention to you unless they need something. Which wasn't really a problem for me. Unless you have those nurses who literally want you to hold their hand, calls you just to put paper in the copy machine even though it's literally right in front of them. Or call you 10 mins before shift is over to ask you to come up to the floor to write the room number on the chart.. like they cant write "204" themselves.

Pros

Great experience for future nurses

Cons

Long hours and low compensation

Not the worst company I've worked for

Benefits and pay are below competitors. My job was in a clinic and I worked until past midnight, but was denied a shift differential for 6 years. Their excuse is that other clinics don't get shift diff, but other clinics do not work past midnight either.

Pros

My coworkers were great

Cons

Pay and benefits

Something else no support from management

Save yourself the effort and find a different place to work. Lack of proper training on computer programs used in house only. Lack of management support or communication made success difficult.

Jobs at Ascension

See more jobs

extremely short staffed and high turn over. No one knows what they are doing

extremely short staffed and high turn over. No one knows what they are doing. Patient care is not top priority and neither is the staff wellbeing. mandated overtime which is not explained during interview. worked there 8 months and was never allowed to use any PTO even though they state it is a benefit.

Bad pay.

Pay is low and raises are 2% if you even get them! New hires can come in making more than someone who has worked there for 10 years. If it wasn’t for the amazing doctors I work for I wouldn’t stay!

Nice employees and business

Awesome place and friendly staff. Lots of work but if you like a busy schedule it’s the place for you. If you have high standards for employment this is the place to be.

Productive place to work.

I enjoy working here. Most everyone is very friendly, and I feel supported. Workplace culture gets an A+. I would recommend working here. Pay is average.

Not enough pay for the work expected of you

Felt like being in high school. A lot of drama including management. Pay was not reasonable for the amount of work expected. Hours not consistent so hard to have work/family balance.

Nice

Couldnt be better. Very nice. Good people. Good patients. Rewarding. Top of the heap. Flexible. Family atmosphere. Relationship building and then some 10/10.

A beautiful hospital with nice coworkera

I enjoyed working here! The staff and management are nice. I love the patient population and the benefits are decent. The hospital is growing fast though so we have been understaffed.

great people and the environment is inviting

i’ve lived working with this company the last fees years. The people are all around great but believe I am getting severely underpaid for all that I am doing

Not a nice place

I feel unappreciated. Doctors are rude and arrogant. Entire staff is very unprofessional. I don’t feel it’ll lead anywhere. Never promoted. Favoritism as long as you brown nose.

Ascension

Flexible hours and consistent schedule. My patient caseload is manageable even on stressful days. Frequent department huddles for updates, consistent rounding with supervisor to get feedback on performance and voice concerns.

Pros

Flexible schedule, consistent hours

Cons

Standard healthcare worker stress, non-competitive pay

Fun work place

Nice people to work with and all work as a team. They look out for one another’s here and always pull together for each other. Very organized and well lead organization.

Benefits

Cons

Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ascension. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.7K
1.8K
1.2K

Women's ratings

3.1Fairygodboss Score

63%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss