Ascension

Ascension Employee Reviews

United States7,681 reviews

Found 7,681 reviews matching the searchSee all 7,722 reviews
hospitalsetonpatientnursealexianamitachrististaff

Best place to work.great honest hard-working people.

Featured review

Ascension selected this as a representative review
I love ascension. The people here are great.i would love to invite any honest hard working people to seek ascension.the area is trustworthy and would benefit with new employees.

Official response from Ascension

February 17, 2022
Hello. Thank you for sharing such kind words with us. We are so glad to hear your positive feedback. We hope you are well and take care.

Different areas of jobs to choose from

The most enjoyable part of the job is the various people and relationships with others who work here. My current management are understanding and flexible. This isn't always the case.

Ascension insights

Based on 3,154 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Not worth the stress

No sense of direction, inexperienced management, feel like more of a servant. Disgruntled residents constantly screaming at you and management does not step in to defend their staff. Improper training since hired, highschool type gossip between managers. Not worth stress.

Wages could still be better but benefits are very good

Health care is actually very good to be honest40hours are guaranteedVery professional work environment When I started there was a lot more overtime, however here lately they have done a mass hiring and so the Overtime has not been quite there anymore.

Productive and fun place to work

Great place to work as a new CNA. Plenty of learning opportunities. Flexible with scheduling as I am in school. Management is typically very willing to listen.

Working there

Overall most of the people are great. The leadership is very out of touch with the daily operations and barriers that are getting in the way. My co workers were great! But the leadership is delusional and they don’t seem to care about the team

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor leadership

Great hospital to work for!

Helped nurses with daily tasks such as blood draws, patient baths, eating, and walking. We also assisted in admitting new patients to the floor. We worked directly with sometimes 4-5 nurses on a given day.

Toxic

They are to big and they have zero standard of work and lack of communication from a national level. They are bringing in new hires no experience and paying them more then others that have been with them for over 20 years

Meh

Hiring process was efficient and above par. It’s been downhill since then. Poor new employee training, intranet & employee sites are numerous, confusing and much too difficult to access. They have three operating systems for requires documenting. They slow access down and in a position where all three are required to perform your job it becomes quite frustrating. Healthcare is all about change. That’s been the norm. Unfortunately, at ASW, change is used as a weapon. Unit standards are inconsistent especially between charge nurses. Instead of focusing on team building and the big picture, a few seem to relish in nit-picking and micromanaging staff. Expectations change daily and there is little to no positive feedback. Supervisors bad behavior is tolerated creating a subculture that fosters moral injuries. Productivity is not calculated in a logical way which results in persistently understaffed units. Seasoned nurses are often seen crying and new nurses are asking themselves, “is it worth it?” The benefits are subpar, particularly the Medical and Rx. I have never had so much difficulty trying to get coverage, appointments or help with care delivery/cost/fulfillment in my entire working life. This experience has been a thoroughly disappointing one. A lot of positive change will have to happen to slow down the rate of staff turnover or at the very least increase satisfaction.

It’s OK

It’s okay not the top Notch hospital that I had hoped it would be but I did enjoy working there because the atmosphere in the building was beautiful other than that I guess the clinic that I worked for was super on organized and very territorial with providers

Wonderful until….

I loved working for ascension until they outsourced us to another company R1 rcm. Went downhill immediately. Managers were replaced with people that had no clue, schedules were changed, job duties were inconsistent and never fully explained as to why. They run their employees ragged, and don’t appreciate not one of them.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Short staffed all the time, no help from management

Career growth & learning opportunities

Was able to grow into various roles during my tenure. Some favoritism but overall good place to work. Provided the ability to learn new roles without having to change jobs.

Good People. Not well staffed.

My coworkers are amazing for the most part. But always short staffed because if the lack of pay. The busiest days have the least amount of people. The people who have been there the longest do the least amount of work without reprimands.

Materials Management/The Resource Group

When you work in materials, you're subjected to 2 sets of leaders. Ascension and The Resource Group. Ascension pays you, but materials management is outsourced to a company whose motives are not aligned with the hospital. Ascension is non-profit, The Resource Group is for profit. This creates conflict and associates are frequently caught in the middle. They are exhausted from meeting the demands of all and are frequently overworked.As a supervisor, taking time off was hard. Not only did I have to get approval from both sets of leaders, but also my subordinates. It was a really odd working relationship and takes its toll quickly.

OK place to work

A lot of strain on the culture since COVID. Pay only average. Existing staff frustrated about heavy bonuses for incoming new hires. I do feel management at unit level does care.

Poor mgmt

Worst job I’ve ever had. I did things totally outside my job description and I’m not even sure were legal. I’m 50; trust me. Just don’t. It’s just too big. When it was St John’s it was likely ok.

Great place to learn and grow.

Great place to learn and grow. Fast pace environment. Many opportunities to work in sister hospitals. Great benefits. Competitive pay. Training for new providers can greatly improve. Did not feel prepared after my one week orientation, however I have learned so much.

Great reduction in morale and commitment

Leaders are not engaged in knowledge of the job that their subordinates are tracked with. Decisions are made based on assumptions rather than fact based knowledge. Directives are not clear, consise , or consistent. I have very little faith in leader's ability to be truthful or supportive as it relates to my duties, responsibilities, and expectations. There is NO accountability for leaders to be better or improve as leaders. The atmosphere and culture is one where a group of leaders from a specific location band together in support of each other rather than the mission and vision of the organization and commitment to direct reports. I have no confidence in my leadership at all.

Avoid at all costs

Terrible company with even worse management. Outsourced all IT jobs to India. The company is basically a hedge fund run by private equity. Look at the executive salaries on the tax returns. Shocking for a non profit Catholic healthcare company.

Poor management, no respect

This isn’t a great place to work. You want to come to work and feel comfortable. The supervisor for afternoons and midnights is condescending and rude. He’s openly shows his disregard for women. It the most respectful environment. Will send you home for not wanting to agree to just anything and speaking up for yourself. The other employees is the reason I stayed around

Most good place to work

Management structures seem to change a lot, and there are issues with HR trying to hide the actual pay scales being used. My management is excellent though.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ascension. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Ascension.
Powered byComparably

Compare Ascension with

• Ascension
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?