Ashley House Employee Reviews

Not a forever place to be
CNA (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WASeptember 9, 2018
I loved Ashley house when I first started. I got called in all the time and I always came in to cover shifts. I was there 90 days and during those 90 days I picked up a good amount of last minute shifts, but eventually got a bid that was stable as a one on one. However after I began the one on one I realized how unorganized everything was. My one on one hours were during the week and I found out the child was going to begin attending school in a few weeks and it was unknown whether Ashley house staff would attend with him or if the school would have its own staff. Basically my job was in the air and if my assignment was ended i would have to go back to per diem which is terrible. Most shifts were overnight which didn't work with me for school or sometimes you would get 3 shifts a week sometimes one. I had to end my bid due to family illness and my husbands deployment. I let them know i would be starting school. They would call me for per diem shifts and i completed as many as i could. They never once reached out to me about a certain amount of shifts i had to complete to remain an employee.They have a nurse that works one weekend a month or every two months, yet they fired me because I had the same availability as her. In reality i should have quit but i loved the kiddos so much. One day i received a call that stated they were terminating me for "not meeting job expectations" my question is if i was not meeting job expectations why was i offered overtime so often? The crazy thing is they terminated me before even conducting the evaluation that was required during the 90 days.  more... How would you know I'm not preforming up to standards without evaluating me? Their reasoning for termination should of been due to my availability not my job performance like they stated.

Also most of the employees have been there 10+ years which is not bad at all, but makes advancement and growth close to impossible. Their bids go off seniority so you have close to no chance at obtaining a day shift. One nurse in particular that i worked with just gave the kids meds and laid on the couch the rest of the day watching tv. Given shes been there many years i doubt she would even be spoken to about it.
Pros
working with the children, assisting events with the kids
Cons
job security, no open communication from management, no room for growth, favoritism
Fun place to work with children and always learning
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Browns Point, WAJuly 25, 2018
Meetings and prepping for work with children. Learned how to work with children with extra care. Management was ok people talked a lot but I kept a positive attitude and kept to myself and listen and provided care for the children. Hardest part of job, being ready incase of an emergency. Most enjoyable part of job, caring and bonding love for the children.
Pros
Work environment with Nurse and children is enjoyable
Cons
Adults talk about each other
Very productive
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 7, 2018
Taking all incoming calls, filing,creating lease contracts,assisting manager with all the property and residents needs, file work orders.
They offer online training classes that help with the advancement.
Manager was awesome very hands on an ready to assist when she was needed always available. Hardest part was marketing and getting traffic it is an A+ property but property is a bit hidden and area is hard to market.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
short brakes, hard to eat lunch in office
Very good job. I feel like I learn something new almost daily. Ashley House is really good at offering additional training to improve our skills.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Enumclaw, WAJune 6, 2018
I will miss working at Ashley House, it does not feel like it's been ten years. I would have never left this company except I have to relocate to another state.
Pros
Excellent benifiets
Cons
Hospitals pay higher wages and we do everything a hospital does.
It's all about the kids. This is pediatric nursing at its most rewarding
LPN (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAMarch 16, 2018
Our pediatric clients soak up the love we can give them.
Frequently, we are told by State Inspectors, Physicians and other care givers that our clients are doing better than at most other facilities.
I have learned more at Ashley House than in my previous decades of nursing.
Great place to work.
Nurses Assistant (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 25, 2017
Every day at Ashley House is different. I took care of medically fragile and behaviorally challenged children. It was a very rewarding job. We always worked as a team and tried to make each day enjoyable and fun for everyone.

The management was always very supportive and helped us with anything to improve the lives of our children. Also, they were very supportive of staff during stressful times.

The best part of the job of course was the kids. We were their family in most cases.

The hardest part of the job was when one of our children passed. Sometimes it was a blessing, but none the less, never easy.
Pros
We got to hold babies, and play with kids for a living.
Cons
Shifts were long, and sometimes stressful if the kids were ill. Made it difficult to complete tasks on occasion.
Mission driven organization that does amazing work
Human Resources Director (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAMay 30, 2016
Ashley House is an amazing place to work! The children that live at Ashley House have made a lasting impression on my life. They inspired me to do my best work to find the best people to take care of them.
Emotionally stressful, but sometimes highly rewarding
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 11, 2015
There isn't really a typical day at work at Ashley House. Working with 7-8 different girls ages 17-20 doesn't allow for a lot of consistency in the workplace; there is rarely a dull moment. There are things that do remain constant, for example, documenting behaviors via Casenotes and behavior logs for each shift and each resident.

I have learned and developed a variety of new skills from working at Ashley House. First of all, patience. Patience is a necessity when working in this field. However, something equally as important is a sense of humor. Without humor a job this stressful can hinder your emotional and mental well-being. Also, consistency is key, but it is best to remember that everyone is different. This is a balancing act that can be hard to manage, but becomes easier with time.

I have had two directors while working at Ashley House and they have both been great to work with, although, they have different management styles. I've learned that almost any management styles can be dealt with and learned from as long as the manager is willing to listen and support their employees.

Sometimes co-workers can be difficult to deal with, as with any job. However, the most important thing in a work relationship is communication. Without communication many important aspects in the job, especially consistency with the program, can fail. Being honest, but still aware of the others' feelings is necessary.

The hardest part of the job is when the girls' are given information and suggestions for different area's of their life and they don't take it to heart.
  more... It's really hard to let them make their own mistakes, when you already know what path that they should take.

On the other hand, the most enjoyable part is when they do take your advice and you can see their improvement. It gives me hope that they will excel in life and break the stereotypes given to those who have grown up in state's custody.
productive and fun workplace
Building Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, SCOctober 25, 2013
Very satisfying work environment with loving staff and residents.
Love the patients, hours inconsistant
RN (Current Employee) –  EnumclawSeptember 2, 2013
The patients there are amazing and the staff are super fun to work with. But the work hours come and go. One week you are getting 10 hrs overtime and the next week you are fighting to get 24 hours. Learned a lot about sub-acute care and became super comfortable with mechanical airways and alternative feeding methods. Can become very repetitive once you become comfortable in job. Has a heavy emphasis on spending time with the children and trying to give them childhood experiences like every other kid their age.
Great opportunity to work with hospice pediatric patients.
Certified Nurse's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enumclaw, WAOctober 10, 2012
I enjoyed being able to take care of the little ones. This job was extremely emotional at times yet rewarding as well.