Asian Health Services Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Friendly and productive working environment
Labor Coach (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 3, 2018
The supervisors are very friendly and helpful and always ask to help when you needed. I have made many friends and mentors at Asian Health Services. They have given me the opportunity to learn, explore my interest, and advance my career.
Great Place to Work!
Community Health Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 27, 2017
Asian Health Services is a great place to work. I've made many connections with clients and staff equally. AHS has always been supportive in the work that I do and is definitely an open and safe space specifically around the subject of diversity and historical context.
California Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 22, 2017
Friendly staff, Awesome doctors!! Mostly Chinese speaking patients so be prepared to learn Chinese if you don't already speak it. Fast pace must always be on your toes. I love the doctors there they know what they are doing.
Medical side is functional, Specialty mental health is a mess
couselor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 6, 2017
This is specifically about the Specialty mental health department. Pros: higher pay scale (due to union) compared to other non-profits, friendly and supportive co-workers, close to bart and AC Transit.

Cons: Stressful and unrealistic deadlines for paperwork, because of that you are brow-beaten to take your home work with you with NO overtime provided. The Electronic health record system interface is absolutely horrible and nonsensical. There is not enough managers to provide sufficient supervision and they too are stressed out and overworked. Lacking clear strong leadership, the Executive director just quit after 1 year to go work another agency. Not enough psychiatrists to actually evaluate and diagnose clients.
Pros
money, benefits
Cons
lack of leadership, stress, etc
mental health division needs more management support
physician (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 7, 2017
passionate mental health clinicians, but clinic needs lots of improvement- including around inefficient EHR, work flow, improving pt care, not enough physicians for case load. very stressful environment and upper management struggles to be responsive to changes or make positive improvements
great place to gain experience
Community Health Advocate (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Wonderful place to start off if you are starting to explore career paths. Since it is a non-profit you will be ask to wear multiple hats for very low pay however the pay beats all community clinics in the area. Because my department is grant based, we took a lot of cuts on supplies and staffing. It became very lonely at the office because I was practically the only one there and I was far from the actual clinic site. The area was not safe and we did not get a lot of help from the main clinic since we were located off site. the most enjoyable part of the job was the patients, which is the reason why I am still there.
Pros
working for the people in your community
Cons
feeling of not being important
Billing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 18, 2015
As I mentioned earlier in my previous review, I am happy and grateful working this company. Also, its very challenging job but able to comprehend with the management support.
Enjoy working with patient and familys in multicultural differences especially non english speaking family how to communicate and help them
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 12, 2015
In multicultural facility with non english speaking is very interesting part of my career. I said because you will create a technique that will help you at same time with the parents and kids together with their cultural background and how you apply the important of their healthcare in the community.The most interesting part is sharing their knowledge of what they know and how to apply with it.
Great work place
Chart Abstractor/ Scanner (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 2, 2015
Both staff and Patients are a joy to be around. Everyone is positive, and helpful when you need it. Sometimes the patients bring food and snacks in to show their appreciation.
Community Clinic
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 22, 2014
Asian Health Services despite the name helps anyone who is in need of health care services. Great company to work for, there's something new to learn daily that can change you life forever. This clinic has really opened my eyes to the real world and ugly truth regarding health care to the underserved. Daily AHS strives to break down all those barriers.
Pros
monthly meetings, family setting
Cons
You can't save every patient from their situation
Friendly and productive environment
Grant Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 29, 2012
I responsible for bookkeeping duties under supervision of the Grant Accounting Specialist The duties include preparing the monthly invoices for all grants and assisting in agency’s general bookkeeping and accounting procedures. I developed strong interpersonal skills as social skills, well organized, team-player and I am able to complete work in a timely manner, respond well to supervision while working independently, and eager to professional improve. It is fast pace environment which demand work to be done on time which is also hardest part of the joh. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the environment is friendly.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
fast pace environment