ASPCA Employee Reviews

Poor work life balance
LVT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 5, 2019
Burn out among employees not addressed by middle management. Compassion fatigue is rampant. This review is specific to the ASPCA Animal Hospital, not to the ASPCA as a whole.
Pros
Great benefits!
ASPCA was good when I started but becoming a bad work place
Hospital Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  92nd between 1st and York aveFebruary 26, 2019
They are not a bad company and I honestly loved working with behaviorally challenged animals. It's very slow sometimes and relaxed, in which I was able to meet a lot of people here who 've become very close to.
The bad part is you do not get paid what you deserve, management is forgetful and never come to help when it is needed. Also always making you do work out of your job duty without any pay. Will get forced to do overtime, never can get a day off without calling out. They have a lot of favoritism and if you are not one of them you will not move up in this company. You only have one PTO bank which is for everything including vacation days, sick days, personal days, in which people are constantly getting write-ups.
Poor management and communication
Hospital Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2019
Work was often understaffed with no solution as to how to fill necessary daily rolls. Forced overtime and an incredibly unfair contract for union workers make the job very stressful and frustrating. The mission of the ASPCA is admirable but the poor management and complete lack of communication sour many people towards it.
Pros
paid lunch break
Cons
forced overtime, low hourly wage, poor communication from managers
i was a animal care technician.
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10128January 8, 2019
My duties including taking care of the abused animals that animal control brought in. I took a lot of pride in my work, helping animals get back to good health. Duties including walking, feeding,cleaning,giving medications,reporting concerns to the doctor and stocking.
Pros
i really enjoyed my work.
Cons
No benefits.
excellent medical staff, terrible management
Medical Nursery Caregiver (Former Employee) –  New York StateDecember 30, 2018
In my honest opinion, my time with the ASPCA was excellent but flawed. The veterinarians and medical staff are always professional, caring and knows how to combat emergency situations with the appropriate measures. Compare that with the lack luster and down right careless attitude of the management staff, who seem to act when it is too late. In my opinion, they seem to do too little too late. It is only when things get to a point where staff have to alert upper management or HR that they are forced to act. In terms of the working culture goes, if your work directly with the medical staff, problems are solved in a timely and order fashion. However, if you are not, be prepared to deal with a chaotic management that barely lifts a finger.
Pros
professional and caring veterinarians and medical staff
Cons
lack of care or concern from management
Too stressful
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILDecember 13, 2018
It's not particularly hard but things change constantly, everyone is giving mixed information to clients, clients take advantage of the programs. Managers are condescending when someone brings up a real problem. Looks like they want to live in a pink world where everyone around is crumbling. They like to sweep under the rug.
Many negative things.

Good things are, good coworkers and ability to work without supervision.
Pros
Free food all the time
Cons
Clients are rough, rude and crazy.
Great place to work!
Per diem Feline Behavior Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 22, 2018
Great people, very supportive environment, excellent benefits, compassionate managers, adorable animals, relaxed environment, and above all, an amazing mission.
Fun, loving workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 12, 2018
Growing up, I've always had a special place in my heart for animals, so volunteering at ASPCA was perfect for me. This was my first experience in the "animal career" world and I loved it. I loved seeing the animals get new homes, and I enjoyed spending time with the ones who didn't have one. The management/employees were very educational and professional.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
n/a
Productive environment
Kitten Nursery Caregiver (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10128November 8, 2018
Though the ASPCA is an amazing company to work with, there were a lot of big holes in regards to job security, harassment complaints, “favorites” and uncomfortable situations. Best thing to do is set your standards, see if the atmosphere and environment fits your personality and work your way from there.
good place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2018
It was a good place to work and I enjoyed working there. I would go back there if I could. Working with unions can be difficult and things change constantly there.
benefits
Cons
union
Great Mission!
Manger (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2018
Great mission and fun place to work. Many opportunities to learn while giving back to a great cause. Collaborative work environment, opportunity to advance.
Nice place
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, PAOctober 23, 2018
data entry office environment. I learned how to fax and do data entry. staff was kind and helpful. hardest part was not getting enough breaks. i enjoyed seeing all the animals.
Pros
worked my own pace
Cons
not many breaks
Great job, great people, poorly managed
Liscensed Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2018
The people here are pretty great and the job itself is amazing as long as you can work independently. But in my experience, management is terrible and does not listen to their employees' concerns.
great organization and staff
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  remoteOctober 9, 2018
Progressive organization with incredibly talented and committed staff who are mission driven, thoughtful, and striving to do great work. Several areas of focus with many departments and staff working remotely and they strive to include and engage everyone.
Pros
benefits, homestead reimbursement for work travel, varied work
Cons
work/life balance can be an issue
Volunteer Position
Animal Socialzer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 8, 2018
I volunteered at the ASPCA for about 3 years. I became frustrated by my lack of advancement in my volunteer status. They are a wonderful organization that does good work and many people volunteer there for years.
Pros
Animal Welfare
Cons
They could do better when dealing with people.
Who cares for the caregivers?
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 4, 2018
The management uses strong arm tactics to force the union employees into a poor contract, provide little support during the work day (even floor managers are rarely on the floor), slow and poor hiring decisions leave the rest of the staff scrambling to make up for the lack of workers, mandatory overtime can be forced every week with as little as 48 hours notice.

As far as care, little things like the o2 machines are past their lifespan and 2 of the 4 are not working and the 2 that are working are "tempermental" at best.
Pros
okay benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime, lack of support from management
good place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2018
This is a good place to work if you are a pet lover. the hours are great the staff is great and the animals are wonderful outside of the smell this is a very relaxed place to work
Pros
good pay
Cons
odor from animal cages
Great
Social Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
Great Opportunity.
Every day I learned something new, I was pleased with my experience and wish that it turned into something past the temporary position.
wrok
Animal Care Technician/Logistics Lead (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALSeptember 17, 2018
its not a bad job just as long as u dont mind being away from home 24/7. People and places you get ot visit are awesome and once and a lifetime chance
enteracting with diffrent types of animals . hourses,dogs,cats,birds
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2018
Feed and watered animals according to schedules and feeding instructions.Mixed food, liquid formulas, medications, or food supplements according to instructions, prescriptions, and knowledge of animal species.Examined and observed animals to detect signs of illness, disease, or injury.Performed animal grooming duties, such as washing, brushing, clipping, and trimming coats, cutting nails, and cleaning ears.Observed and cautioned children, petting and feeding animals in designated areas to ensure the safety of humans and animals.Responded to questions from patrons, and provided information about animals, such as behavior, habitat, breeding habits, or facility activities
Pros
love animals so got to inteact with every animal who needed a warm embrase
Cons
It was temporary no pay