Aspen Dental Employee Reviews

Best place to work
Registered Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJanuary 18, 2019
Aspen truly cares about do right by the patient. Every patient gets a comprehensive treatment plan. The doctor always listened to my treatment plan and recommended with the patients. I think it matters if you go to an office that is privately owned and how the doctor treats his team. You get bonuses off of hygiene production. I was promoted less than six months being with the company. You make appt times how long you need them. It does get hectic with all of the new patients but if you work hard, there is a huge payout in the end. The management team is great but I wish they would start cracking down on people who call in sick a lot or have negative attitudes.
I’m glad that I have found a place that doesn’t care about money and cares about getting the patient what they need. I worked at a health center that would change treatment due to cost and the patient would be under treated.
Pros
Patient care, mission statement, pay
Cons
Dealing with the few non team players
The bad reviews aren’t dramatized
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 17, 2019
This place is a joke. I loved the people I worked with, that’s it. The dentist, management, corporation, everything/everyone else DOES NOT care about the employees at all. It’s a bunch of money hungry, conceited, disrespectful people. RUN
Pros
Cons
Literally everything
Registered Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, TNJanuary 16, 2019
Aspen is a really great place to work. My co-workers are all work oriented and teamwork is exceptional. I learned a lot with Aspen and with regards patient care and overall experience.
Lies
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newark, OH 43055January 14, 2019
Tell you one thing to hire you on. And a month later change it to what you said no to. Never again will I go back or even use their services. Will discourage people from going there.
Great place
Lead Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 14, 2019
Great place to work awesome team members and patients. Keep you on your toes but all worth it to see people smile again and healthy. Aspen is really a great place to work.
Pros
Advancements within the company
Cons
I would rather live on the streets than dishonestly take innocent people's money
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 10, 2019
Horrible management. Clinicians get bonuses for bringing in so much money..... it's not hard to figure out what that means. (Dishonest). Work long hours with little downtime until you have to show back up at the hellhole. Management goes around what doctor's say to get money from patients. EMPLOYEES UNDER MANAGEMENT DO NOT MATTER. They bring in brand new dentists out of school and expect them to see 5 patients at a time, which leads to many mistakes. This is where could be good dentists go to have their soul sucked out. I would never in a million years bring someone I care about here to have work done. I was offered a free filling here and declined. "SAY YES" to every single patient. No matter if it's two minutes until you're closing, no matter if you're slam packed and behind which leads to disgruntled patients, which leads to overtime that God forbid you better not have. No regard for employee sanity. No logic being used in any way. The people managing are from retail- not dentistry. So they know how to suck people's money- not make a schedule that properly works. I would give this place a 0/10. And I worked at two different locations under two different managers. And trained in a completely different state. All the same. May the odds be ever in your favor.
Pros
1 hour lunch to vent about how much we hated Aspen.
Cons
We all hated Aspen.
Horrible place to work
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJanuary 9, 2019
Absolutely a horrible place to work. They want their dental assistance to do everything for basically nothing. They would run you ragged with zero breaks. One should be able to run a minimum of 6 miles a day. Watching them lie to patients about what needs to be done along with watching them clearly charge for stuff that’s not needed. Company is a joke.
Pros
None at all
Cons
Everything about them
Stress to the max
Dental hygienist (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 8, 2019
continuously monitored for production. Hrrassed by managers if your numbers dropped. No raises. Adjunctive products are pushed on patients regardless of need to make production goals. These goals are increased every year, Clinicians and managers have an us against them attitude. If you try to do the right thing for patients you will be written up. Managers will tell you everyone can be replaced.
Pros
my coworkers
Cons
too many to list, but mostly managers with no dental knowledge and some only had high school diploma, no management education
Cut throat manager at Hanover PA
PSR - Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAJanuary 8, 2019
Hired, received very little training. They place you up front with hardly any experience with training.
Felt like a school, would pull you in their "office" over very petty things. If you have family emergency's forget it, had the manager and a co worker stalking me at my home. " Checking up on me"
Very creepy and unprofessional.
Fired when back from a death in my family.
Office crew talks about each other all behind each others backs about their home lives and choices.
They all down talk the doctor on site, very childish environment. Run away.
Awesome Opportunity
Registered Dental Hygienist (Current Employee) –  New YorkJanuary 7, 2019
This is one company you will get to utilize all of your dental hygiene skills! You have the independence, support and recourses to succeed and feel great about your work! Each day I go into work knowing I am valued.
Pros
Total control of your work
Cons
N/a
It’s what you make it !! I enjoy my team
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 5, 2019
I enjoy my job because I work with ppl that actually care about the patients and each teammate. My upper management is very informational I can always call one of them and get help. I must say if u can talk to your VP And Director without feeling out of place that’s great. I must say even though there are over 800 offices not one of them are alike and it’s all about management and the culture to make it a great place to work
Pros
No micro management
Cons
Benefits are High
Loving atmosphere
Dental assistant (Current Employee) –  Palm Coast, FLJanuary 1, 2019
I absolutely love working here. I get to interact with my patients and when they come in they are unsatisfyed with their smile and when they I can say I helped them get their smile back.
Pros
Lunches, getting to meet and have a special relationship with my patients
Cons
The travel to get to work.
Perfect place if greed is your motivation.
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  IndianaDecember 28, 2018
*Hygienist duties include patient treatment, completing new patient exams and treatment plans from a separate schedule, ordering supplies, scheduling recare, confirming appointments, taking radiographs, cleaning/sterilizing your own instruments . You will be told you have autonomy over your schedule, only to find out after a training period that you do NOT. 30 minute prophy appointments are encouraged which is NOT enough time to provide quality care to patients. PSRs and managers change the length after the hygienist books the appointments if they feel too much time was scheduled or to squeeze in as many patients as possible without regard to patient needs. Poor communication between front and back office when changes are made. Your expert opinion about what amount of time is necessary for the recommended treatment is not taken into consideration.

*More focus on the bottom-line and profits than quality care for patients. Quantity, not quality, is the driving force. Treatment plans are pre-populated with excessive amounts of adjunct products that increase fees and revenue.

*Significant over-booking of the schedule is common under the pretense that everything works out because half of the patients don't show up. Days that they all show up are insanely stressful. The hygienist not only is responsible for his/her schedule but must constantly leave their op to complete new patient exams/treatment plans. Combine that with short hygiene appointments to start with and the environment is mind-numbingly stressful. You end up feeling like a circus performer not a
  more... clinician because you have to juggle SO many things in order to succeed.

*Managers and PSR staff have no dental knowledge or concept of what is in best interest of patients or the schedule flow, and simply focus on earnings, not standards of care.

*Hourly pay rate is significantly lower than the norm. Forget about raises, none are ever given with the reasoning that "incentives and profit sharing are the ways to earn more money". Translation: work at superhuman speed, adjust your values and sell sell sell extra products and services to meet the absurd benchmarks to earn more money.

*Support = huddles that focus primarily on production, how many dollars can be added to the schedule to meet goals, and emails along same line. Rare face-to-face meetings with supervisors/managers who will tell what you want to hear then start working on finding your replacement.

THERE IS A GLARING REASON THEY HAVE A HIGH TURNOVER RATE. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, KEEP LOOKING AT OTHER OPTIONS.
Pros
Benefits, but only after 90 days
Cons
Too many to mention
Does not follow the Rules and Regulations
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXDecember 22, 2018
The management does not follow company procedure, rules & regulations, as well as guidelines. I didn't know how to do my job at times. I was trained to do my job in a way of cheating the system or/and the customer. I didnt like the position that put me in.
I ended up leaving over it
HIGH turnover rate
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IADecember 20, 2018
Aspen was a great place to start if you are looking at getting started in dentistry. They do provide great training for all employees, I started having issues after being employed for 5 years. Aspen does not value their long term employees. One manager I worked with said she could replace me easily with someone who they would pay less. The office was ran like a factory, pumping patients in and out all day. The managers cared less if the assistants and the doctors would get a lunch.
Benefits
Cons
Aspen values- non existent
Aspen Dental BA
Dental Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKDecember 18, 2018
i was not on pay roll with them i was just there for my internship. I learned how to do their new patients pretty well , knocked out my xrays in about a week of being their . i only assisted the doctor about 5 times, but learned alot in those times .
Pros
hour lunch
Great Culture
Patient Services Representative (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MEDecember 16, 2018
Working at Aspen so far has been great! They really appreciate their employees and strive to be sure you are happy. The hardest part of the job is learning the computer system.
Pros
Discounts, short fridays, benefits
Cons
Longer days, salary
I'd rather not
Practice Lead (Current Employee) –  IowaDecember 12, 2018
I'd rather not write this, so I'm writing the minimum. This is dumb, I'd rather not write anything. Aspen is Aspen, each office its own microenvironment.
Extremely stressful and no advancement
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 10, 2018
Aspen has been an awful choice for me. I was promised a raise and opportunity for mamangement instead I got a low paying basic position, long hour, little pay and a lot of stress
Pros
My manager was good
Cons
Everything else
Aspen dental doesn't care about employees or patients
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ohiowa, NEDecember 10, 2018
Aspen dental only care about numbers and money. They don't care about employees AT ALL. There is no support from management. Work you to death and ask for more.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspen Dental. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight