Aspen Dental Employee Reviews

Aspen Dental is an Unethical Employer.
Dentist (Former Employee) –  OhioNovember 15, 2018
Aspen dental has no respect for dentists or their patients. A tragic business model of poor dentistry, high fees, misrepresentation and fraud.

Aspen has figured out a way of taking dentists and their patients out of their business model, despite State laws made to protect dentists and their patients.
Pros
None.
Cons
Dentists are at the bottom of this business model. A dentist cannot even discipline, write-up or fire his or her office manager, dental assistant or secretary. If a staff member is performing for the company, Aspen, and not to the benefit of the dentist or patients, that employee will be rewarded, not reprehended or dismissed.
Set up for failure
Scheduling Center Representative (Former Employee) –  SyracuseNovember 14, 2018
I worked for them for two years and I couldn’t go anywhere in the company. I was getting burnt out with what I was doing. They set you up to fail. You have to meet certain percentages of calls that you can schedule appointments for. If some one calls and hangs up on you that counts against you. Someone calls just for questions that counts against. Existing patients that counts against you. They make it sound nice that you can make bonuses but it’s impossible to reach those goals without cheating their system. It’s horrible. It’s very stressful with nonstop calls and constant badgering if you go to the bathroom too long. It’s not worth the stress. I used to have full blown panic attacks at work. I don’t recommend this job
Pros
Lots of vacation time
Cons
Everything else
Exciting job, until you have a family.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 14, 2018
I loved my job at Aspen. I loved the Doctor I worked for, but the office is very demanding. You work long days and most of the time it’s very stressful. I knew once I had my son, I would not be able to have a work/life balance because I was working from sun up to sun down. Aspen is a great place for someone young and motivated to grow in a company. It’s very hard to manage when you have other responsibilities outside of work.
Pros
Benefits, compensation plan, team morrale
Cons
Long hours, possibility of no break, angry patients, high turnover
too hectic
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 13, 2018
no time for respectable work . low pay offered. no raises. Cheated out of promised money for traveling. Hired under false pretenses. High turner over rate, office constantly changing office mangers with no dental experience who dont listen to you due to high pressure from corporate.
Great place
Dental Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNNovember 7, 2018
It's a very great place to shadow at. Everyone was very nice. It's very clean there and very professional. They follow all the safety rules that are out there
Great Experience
ISERIES/Net Developer (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 6, 2018
Aspen Dental proved to be a pleasant and rewarding place to work. Workmates and environment pleasant and productive. Project was challenging and rewarding.
Not the most ethical business
Head of Sales (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLNovember 5, 2018
Doctors are forced to push sales over treatment. The company has no work/life balance your their all day mon through saturday. they set up bonus structures that are impossible to acheive.
Pros
Working the business side of medical industry
Cons
Most of this companies doctors are freshly out of school and lack experience.
Wouldnt Recommend to work here
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MONovember 4, 2018
Worked in multiple locations over a couple states and overall all they do is hire young, unexperienced assistants. The Drs. Constantly preform unethical procedures and the managers always turn their heads. There's a few decent locations but overall is VERY unorganized and is also very money hungry- which is the only motivation to helping people the "same day". I worked for a year and a half at Aspen Dental and not once did the company hold up to their promises they made to me. Also, I had to almost harass them to send me my severance pay in full when they had laid me off A WEEK before I was supposed to transfer to another location because of downsizing and left two assistants who had no idea what they were doing run an office. Still trying to reach the regional manager to get my full amount of pay.
Cons
ACE work schedule and 2 saturdays a month
Waste of your time
Sales and Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 3, 2018
Want to work long hours for low pay this is the place for you. Budgets too high to meet and pop doctors that only care about $ and not patients or employees
Pros
Nothing. No workplace perks
Liked working there
Dentist (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYNovember 3, 2018
Had a good experience
Would work for them again
Enjoyed the team I had in Cortland, New York
Felt that I made a difference with the patients I served . Found Cortland a nice place to visit
High paced, stressful and drama filled environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 2, 2018
This company does not care for thier employees. They use you until they've burned you out, then dismiss you without a thought. Turnover is RIDICULOUS, but completely understandable once you get to meet the self absorbed regionals. The infamous phrase, "what do you need from me/ what can I do for you" is only asked as a mere courtesy. Support is non existent and retaliation for speaking up is cut throat.
Pros
Establishment of great work relationships with most Dr.s and employees
Cons
Over worked, under paid, unfair treatment
Run away
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Minot, NDOctober 30, 2018
This company does not care about its employees it only cares about the money. They say that patients are there number one priority BUT it is actually the patients wallet they are after.
Pros
Cons
everything
Employees are severely undervalued and underpaid
Field Manage/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 29, 2018
Was a great company when it was still small. Rapid growth has caused a lot of disarray. Regular employees were expected to work outside of their job descriptions without compensation. Very cut throat and many empty promises
Pros
Forward thinking was at a minimum
Cons
Added responsibilities without compensation
Worst training I have ever had.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 22, 2018
So disgusted with the training program, I walked out. You are expected to be fully trained to run your own office in eight weeks. This usually isn't a problem if you get set up with a good manager with a solid staff. Keep in mind the staff is not paid to train you so they don't really care if you follow what is going on. You sit in front of a computer for weeks and fight to get five minutes with the training manager who is more concentrated on day to day operations than training you. You will hear over and over again patient first but at the end of the day they only care about how money they brought in that day or month. You are taught to push dentures cause that's what makes the office money, even to those who don't need them. If you're a shady sales person this is right up your alley.
Pros
Cons
Dealing with insurances, talking people in to over priced procedures, pay not that great for time spent, training is terrible, still dealing with the public
Never work here!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WvOctober 21, 2018
This company is a joke. They dont care about their patients or employees. Its all about their metrics and making money, even if it means lying to customers. They treat their employees horrible, unless you are a favorite. I have also seen them go through office managers so quickly you wouldnt believe it. They drag outside applicants in for 3 to 4 interviews even though they know they have already picked their favorites internally to move up. This never works because the job is salary and high pressure, so there is a big crash and burn for those people. They move the assistant manager up as manager and the front desk up to assistant manager and because manager turnover is so high and they move internal employees up so quickly, they never have a front desk or "patient services representative"
They also glorify the job titles to make the job seem more appealing. "Patient service representative" is nothing more than a receptionist. "Office manager" is just the poor fool that has to lie to patients to try to get them to come back and pay for more services. It is very upsetting to see the number of patients rushed in and out just tp satisfy their metrics so mamangers get their bonuses. Then those same patients are right back in getting the work redone. Most patients are drawn in because they have no insurance and Aspen offers so many finance options, so the patients cant even afford to go elsewhere to fix the bad work. Oh, and the other job of the office manager is to play collections agent and call and bug people to pay their balances for their terrible dental work. There is no work/life
  more... balance. You may as well plan on living at work. Save yourself the trouble and do not apply for a job with Aspen amd NEVER get dental work done there!!  less
Pros
Cons
Too many to list. See below.
inconsistent goals
Dental Hygienist (Former Employee) –  AnonymousOctober 19, 2018
Sounds good on paper but it was not sustainable for me. You have several bosses to please as well as frazzled staff that can't be depended on. You answer to the manager, the district manager, the hygiene manager, the doctor, and on occasion two district managers at a time. Everybody is being choked with their own metrics that do not lend themselves to camaraderie. Doctors come in on a honeymoon period where they don't understand how Aspen works so it causes great difficulty between the staff and the new dentist. I was at my office for almost 5 years and we went through 5 dentists. I was monkey in the middle, always someone angry with me.
Pros
The benefits, clean, modern, generous budget for supplies
Cons
constant staff and management turnover, Un-achievable goals, inconsistent demands, very high stress atmosphere.
Horrible job to work for!!!
Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 19, 2018
I have NEVER worked for a company that was so Heartless and crooked, they DO NOT care about the employees OR THE PATIENTS...they LIE to everyone. The company is extremely un-organized Mal practice and neglect goes on. They are liars and decievers.
Pros
Nothing positive about that place!!
Cons
Please stay away from there!...Find employment else where!!
Ok
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 18, 2018
Poor management, only helped to get experience. Has a really high turnover and horrible hours. Although the doctor was okay to work with you have to have a good overall team to make it bareable
Pros
Sometimes you get free food
Cons
You don’t always get to get a lunch and have crazy hours
Fast paced, large volume of people
Personal Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Plover, WI 54467October 18, 2018
Enjoyed working there, until dentist quit and walked out. then they did not try very hard to find a replacement.
Fast paced, liked and got along with the people I worked with.
Cons
Low pay, was told I would start at a certain wage, never got it.
Poor management and clicky
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 17, 2018
They have way too much overflow which leaves hardly any time to properly train new employees. They are one of the lowest on the pay scale. Employees are constantly stressed so it is not a fun or happy atmosphere to work in. Very poor and unorganized management. It is very clicky with the employees that have been there a while..I myself heard them talking about me and other employees behind their back. Very immature DA's.
Pros
Fast paced so your thrown in situations which does help the learning process in the long run..
Cons
Clicky, unorganized, stressful, low morale and very low pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspen Dental. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Aspen Dental.

Powered by Comparably