Asphalt Green Employee Reviews in New York, NY

Poor management and commutation.
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2019
I was hired and did the training I was required to do. I worked for one day and then did the rest of the training I had to do. I was then told I would receive an email for the hours I'd be working and everything I needed to know, but that never happened. They then terminated my employment and said I should have contacted them even though they said they'd email me.
Working at Asphalt Green
Exercise specialist and group exercise instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2019
The members are great and my co-workers really nice people. I was there for four years and there were hardly opportunities to advance. I tried to apply but I felt under valued both in pay and in the opportunity to advance professionally. I had made my interests known but it went unrecognized. I also saw four managers leave because of their own frustration with upper management and the desire to make things better for the trainers.
Pros
Nice members and co-workers.
Cons
High expectations to meet sales quotas when there is low demand
Horrible management
Group Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2019
I worked here 5 years never a raise or a praise management sucks the office w the ceo etc all eat donuts everyday and sit doing nothing people get injured left and right since none of the help knows anything and no one is certified.
Cons
Great workplace lots of fun
Recess Enhancement Program (REP) Coach (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2019
I enjoyed working with youths this was a great experience because although it was work it felt like play. the students really enjoyed us coming to the schools.
Asphalt
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2019
Good job for teens and young adults, not much room for growth, pays well for a starting job, different hour shifts, fast paced environment,2 different locations in NY
Manageable
Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 20, 2019
A typical day at work would start off with welcoming the campers into camp and then go off to our morning assembly. Then we would go to our first of many of our daily activities. Over the course of the summer, I learned how to create a fun, safe, and positive day for my campers, and how to take on a more leadership role. Personally, I think that the management took us for granted. We do so much work behind the scenes when they aren't observing us and go out of our way for our kids who come from wealthy families. For the junior counselor position, some of our co-workers with higher paying positions make the junior counselors do work that they don't want to do because they don't feel like doing it. Those jobs would include, getting the campers snack, taking them to get water, taking them to the nurse, and heating up their food in the microwave if they (counselor[s]) have already started eating. Since seating is limited, many junior counselors including myself would have to stand or sit farther away from our campers. When asked why we are sitting/standing farther away from our campers by superiors, we would tell them that there is no room for us to sit closer to them and they would shrug it off and continue checking on other campers.
Pros
Free lunch and great kids
Cons
NO breaks from the children, not even for lunch, no gratitude towards employees
Great for part time work
REP/Basketball Program Coach (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2019
Nice gym, great people, free memberhip with employment. Tends to be a lil disorganized on weekends but nothing too drastic. Id reccomend this job for anyone who likes working with children.
Alright for Summer Employment
Head Counselor/Mini-camps' Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2018
A good summer job for high school students and college students. Can be stressful working with management but I loved my co-workers. Each summer your pay increases from the previous summer stipend.
Pros
Free lunches, access to gym and pool facilities
Cons
No breaks, long hours
Would Recommend to a Friend
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2018
Working at Asphalt Green consisted of making sure everything was ready for swimmers, and that the lifeguards were at their right zones for the first thirty minutes, in which they would switch afterwards. Management was smooth, though the beginning was a bit of a struggle because of so many new employees joining the team. Hardest part of the job was moving the bulkheads of the pools to make them favorable to the swimmers. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the team members, as they were all fun to be around, even though we were always attentive in our work. Very respectful people and workers.
Its a good jumping off point for your career
Programs Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 2, 2018
you get an insight on how a basic non-profit organization works. You will get to practice many skills such as management, budgeting, and communication.
Pros
The people
Cons
Unrealistic expectations from management
fun place to work but not paying enough
Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2018
not enough money to make a living. lack of management and communication from staff . not team orientated to get a group lesson done. needed more coordinated events.
Pros
fun
Cons
not paying enough
For what it's worth...
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2018
This is a great place to work if you are looking for a more informal environment among your peers. There's obviously some good and bad to that; e.g. if you get along with enough people, it's a decent place to work, but if you don't it will make the easiest position challenging. This is also the place to work if you are looking to build a network as some of the members who frequent this place are affluent. A typical day consists of checking people in and out, signing people up for classes, folding towels, escalating complaints, and enforcing rules. Some of the members are difficult to deal with which is to be expected to an extent. However, when working with people who make a certain amount of money, SOME of them have no problem reminding you who they are, how much they spend, and what they expect. I worked under a manager who is no longer there, but she always rallied behind us when it came to enforcing the rules and had no problem stepping up when we were short staffed. The lines of communication are short between departments and membership will do ANYTHING to keep a member, including overlooking behavior that would normally ban a member.
Fun Time w/ Kids in the Summer
Division Leader for Children Programs (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2018
Asphalt Green Summer Day Camp was great employment for the summer. Starting as a head counselor, I was able to learn the ropes and move into a Division Leader position the following summer. You'll have tons of fun with the campers going on trips and enjoying different sports activities.
Pros
Free lunch, free trips
Cons
Zero breaks
productive workplace
Head Coach U 10 Girls Soccer Travel Team (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
learned how to coach kids in soccer and the technical and tactical aspect, freedom in coaching drills, best part of the job is the kids I coach. overall its a great place to work
Pros
free gym membership
Fun and exciting
REP Coach (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 8, 2017
I really appreciated working with the Recess Enhancement Program. It was my introductions into working with kids in schools. It taight me skills and practices that I still use to this day. It was a valuable tool in my development as a health advocate to the younger generation.
Its an okay place to work
Swim Instructor / Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2017
The pool is too cold. co workers usually call out so many times a week so you would have to fill in for them. The managers do their best to fit the work schedule with your schedule.
Fun work environment.
Aquatics Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2017
Fun sports work environment. Great people to be around. Working with children and seeing them improve. Decent vacation time. Not-for-profit so not much opportunity to make good money.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Low pay
Shake Shack
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2017
The members were all nice! they really follow the rules in terms of food sanitation. There's always a long line outside because they're really famous for burgers and shakes.
Thanks to Asphalt Green i obtain all the knowledge i have today.
Lead HVAC Mechanic (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 25, 2017
I was in charged of daily routine and making sure everything was in good working order. Being there for many year help me obtain all the knowledge to overcome many obstacles. And the best part working at Asphalt Green, there were always something different every day.
Pros
Working at a sport facility i was able to workout on my free time.
Cons
The medical benefit could be a little better.
Summer Camp
Camp Head Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 26, 2017
Asphalt Green gave me the chance to experience working with children of all ages. It also allowed me to give customer service to children and their parents in a very unqiue way.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Asphalt Green. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Asphalt Green Reviews by Location