Aspire Public Schools Employee Reviews

4th-8th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2018
Working at Aspire Public Schools is great. You get to share a common goal with other people all while helping students. Training is excellent. Won't regret it!
Skilled teachers need not apply: underpaid and undervalued
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 28, 2018
The average teacher here is fresh out of an education program, and the management doesn't know how to treat more advanced teachers. The dean for my school micromanaged my classroom, which disregarded my ideas and my own teaching style. Everything at this school is standardized and cookie-cutter: testing, classroom design; teaching; professional development. But for more advanced students and more advanced teachers, there should be--but aren't--expectations of originality; creativity; research-based innovations; and individuality. None of these concepts were encouraged in the slightest. Anytime I innovated--even a research-based and evidence-based innovation--my manager grew alarmed. She outright told me that Aspire doesn't value graduate training and graduate educations in its design or in its compensation.
Pros
Inclusivity of most down-and-out students with low skills
Cons
Exclusivity towards skilled teachers and skilled students who need individual autonomy
Great Place to work!
K-12 GUEST TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 15, 2018
I was a guest teacher for Aspire for 3 years. I loved working with Aspire and highly recommend it to anyone interested in becoming a sub. The pay is great for the job and I almost always got a lot of breaks. All campuses I worked at had amazing support and everyone was very friendly and respectful. There was almost always assignments available and if you do your job well there are a lot of opportunities for pre-booked and long term assignments.
Pros
great hours, long breaks, amazing work-place culture
Cons
no benefits, no vacation
I would not recommend working here
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAOctober 28, 2018
The benefits are pretty great. Dental, vision, and medical, as well as some other bonuses. The culture is not great. I would not recommend working here.
Cons
Lack of structure and organization
Revolving door, employees not valued enough
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 15, 2018
Discouraging atmosphere that severely underpays teachers. Basically a machine running on novice teachers who inevitably leave for better prospects. College for Certain and standardized test scores pushed too hard for the students, when they're receiving an inferior education year after year from brand new teachers.
Too much oversight and assessment
Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 3, 2018
The idea in these poor schools is that surveillance and outside management will improve teachers. But teachers are generally able to fix much of their own mistakes and improve themselves. My manager knew less about educational theories and research than did I but she was regularly micromanaging each aspect of my work. She didn't give me enough time to make changes before she would recheck on me. Some of her advice was directly contradictory to prevalent academic research about student motivations and psychology, so I wondered about whether I should show her the big body of research she was contradicting; quietly disregard her irrelevant comments; or obediently jump off the cliff with her to both of our deaths. This surveillance culture is excessive: students are tested weekly and almost daily. Teachers are monitored; micromanaged; surveilled; assessed too too much. Aspire seems to assume it is hiring bad teachers, who need to be constantly monitored. I am internally motivated to self-improve, but my inner motivations were not acknowledged. Because teachers are monitored so often, they are loathe to admit to not knowing anything, so the culture becomes competitive between teachers.
Cons
Way way too much surveillance and assessment
Fun and compassionate place to work at.
ELP Afterschool Educator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 5, 2018
I love aspire public schools. This is my second school with them. My travel time to work is 2 hours and I need more pay. Everyone is understanding and reliable.
Great Place
Principal Resident (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 7, 2018
Great place to do work against the status quo of education. Great Benefits. Excellent way to learn site management, budget, LCAP, hiring, contracting for services, etc
Too many excuses for student misbehavior
Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 13, 2018
I liked Aspire in ways, but there were too many excuses for misbehaving students. Students could play all day long; students could cheat; students could get into fights. Regardless of the problem, students were given a second and third and fourth and fifth chance, etc. The number of chances given to students was ridiculous. As a teacher, I found the endless unresolved problems to be exhausting. And my compensation for this job was far below market salaries in this region. I was underpaid by many thousands of dollars.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Free pass to misbehaving students; burn out; low salary
Aspire Public School
ASPIRE GUEST TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2018
Aspire Public School guest teacher is one of the highest paid guest teaching jobs I have ever experienced. There aren't many benefits to being a substitute teacher it is generally just the short end of the stick, but the staff here is really supportive. The teachers are on top of their scheduling and the pay is kinda great.
Cut-throat talks a good game doesn’t back it up
Intervention (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 10, 2018
It was all peaches and cream in the beginning but things turned sour at the end with all the secrets and lack of communication you never know when your job maybe in jeopardy
Pros
Health benefits hours
Cons
Hush hush no transparency cut throat
Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 4, 2018
I found Aspire a good place to work. Staff and teachers were helpful and welcoming. Each day offered new opportunities to work with students. My schedule was flexible and allowed me the freedom to pursue other interests and opportunities
political
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 4, 2018
The environment is very political. If you are not one of the "favorites" you will have a harder time. There is not a lot of support for the classroom, and there is a lot of time wasted.
Disciplinary action was slim to none
After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 14, 2018
At the Aspire school site I worked at, the after school director did not take action in disciplining children that were misbehaving. They rewarded bad behavior to try to get the child(ren) to be more motivated to do what they needed to do.
Pros
Food was supplied on some occasions, three paid sick days
Cons
lack of discipline towards misbehaved children
A lot of work for low pay
Biology Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 10, 2018
I find that the workload is high with a lot of oversight and a lot of paperwork. At times, I was micromanaged and was not given professional freedom nor professional creativity. I found that management had experience but was not interested in deeper reflection on the job. Students were unprepared and were unambitious. Many lacked skills and ability to do grade level work.

Comment – July 1, 2018

When I taught a couple years ago at Aspire schools in a different district, I was significantly underpaid to the tune of $15,000. I transferred to another charter school in the same district, and I started off at a salary that was $15,000 higher for doing essentially the same job.

The difference between $58,000 and $73,000 in northern California? It's the difference between being able to afford gas and not being able to afford gas; being able to eat out once a week and scrimping on food on a daily basis; on being able to pay all of one's bills and not being able to pay one's bills. $15,000 annually difference is a huge sum of money, and I was seriously underpaid at Aspire.

Great place to work!
Assist SLPA (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAJune 8, 2018
Great place to work. Collaborative atmosphere. The company offers an excellent benefit package. Employees are treated with respect and are always shown appreciation.
Student achievement first
Humanities Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 15, 2018
Warm, collaborative and respectful work environment with a heavy focus on student achievement and growth. Students and faculty know they are genuinely cared for, and are given supports in a variety of ways.
The kids are great
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 9, 2018
Work/life balance is an immense struggle as the expectations are high, but the pay off can be worth it. Completed lesson plans and weekly observations are a must.
Epacs
Special Education Behavioral Program Educator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA 94606April 26, 2018
This was a positon that was new and gave the school a chance to study students in special education with a one on one experience that was unique. It lasted for a school year, and gave a new perspective to students who had special needs. It was great, but lacked in areas.
Pros
Enjoyable
Cons
Stressful
Relaxed but helpful for both guest teachers and students
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 18, 2018
Preparation for substitutes is very helpful, where all they have to do is show up and fill in as the class' regular teacher. The drive may be more than desired, but the pay is one of the highest for substitutes in California.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspire Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight