Aspire Public Schools Employee Reviews

Challenging place to work
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 15, 2019
A typical day at work was incredibly stressful with mostly poor management of difficult students. Workplace culture seemed governed by whoever was principal and one school in particular had a very bad principal who forged attendance records to maintain funding. They also had a terribly unqualified, abusive counselor there who got her degree from some unaccredited online school. At another school there was, probably still is some weird sexist vice principal. The hardest part of the job was traveling between 3 schools across 2 counties and trying to manage about 60 students every week. As far as I know, a lot of my colleagues are overworked. Some of the schools are pretty good, but I think it takes a stronger character than I have, plus a deep, unshakable dedication to education.
Great staff
STEAM/Science Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 20, 2019
The people who work for Aspire are top notch. Come willing to work hard and make a difference. Students here need your love, care, and appreciation, but sometimes have a re hard time opening up to new people. Start building relationships with students and families quickly and you'll do just fine.
Aspire is wonderful
Happy (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Aspire Public Schools is truly like family. The leaders are smart and always put the students first in decision-making. All of the teachers and school leaders are supporting the kids every day and making sure they get what they need to succeed in their K-12 education and beyond to college.
Horrible workplace, teachers mean nothing
High School English Teacher (Former Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAJanuary 7, 2019
I had anxiety working there. Cat-y staff, everything is your fault, training is superficial and doesnt relate to the real situation, and as someone else pointed out, the kids get away with murder. There are some great kids, but some are just constantly excused for everything and there is not accountability. They are pushed through the system so that the school keeps receiving funding.
Oh, and the curriculum is prescribed so you have no creative freedom. Instead you are supposed to follow checklists over checklists because what is more important is how your classroom is set up and that you don't get kids in trouble and keep them inside the classroom, even if they are loud, swear, walk around, insult you, disrupt other kids learning, or even get into fights.
The raise from a year to year is 400 max. They get you by promising growth opportunities but those either never fully happen or you are just critiqued and so say bye bye to any other raises for "evolving as a teacher"

Run away.
Pros
Some kids
Cons
Superficial Colleagues, everything else
I love kids thats why i work hear
After School Educator (Current Employee) –  Ceres, CADecember 19, 2018
I enjoy teaching kids. I teach them respect responsibility. I work with teacg et rs and parents to help the children succeed. They get homework help and enrichment.
Pros
80 % Friendly staff, community building
Cons
No respect really, no benefits, no advancement
4th-8th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2018
Working at Aspire Public Schools is great. You get to share a common goal with other people all while helping students. Training is excellent. Won't regret it!
Loved it!
Teacher / ELA Driver (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 4, 2018
Loved it, but had to relocate. Work Life Balance were integrated into the culture which was great! Employees were valued. I wish they operated where I live currently!
Pros
Benefits, Work Life Balance, Culture
Cons
Pay
Skilled teachers need not apply: underpaid and undervalued
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 28, 2018
The average teacher here is fresh out of an education program, and the management doesn't know how to treat more advanced teachers. The dean for my school micromanaged my classroom, which disregarded my ideas and my own teaching style. Everything at this school is standardized and cookie-cutter: testing, classroom design; teaching; professional development. But for more advanced students and more advanced teachers, there should be--but aren't--expectations of originality; creativity; research-based innovations; and individuality. None of these concepts were encouraged in the slightest. Anytime I innovated--even a research-based and evidence-based innovation--my manager grew alarmed. She outright told me that Aspire doesn't value graduate training and graduate educations in its design or in its compensation.
Pros
Inclusivity of most down-and-out students with low skills
Cons
Exclusivity towards skilled teachers and skilled students who need individual autonomy
Great Place to work!
K-12 GUEST TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 15, 2018
I was a guest teacher for Aspire for 3 years. I loved working with Aspire and highly recommend it to anyone interested in becoming a sub. The pay is great for the job and I almost always got a lot of breaks. All campuses I worked at had amazing support and everyone was very friendly and respectful. There was almost always assignments available and if you do your job well there are a lot of opportunities for pre-booked and long term assignments.
Pros
great hours, long breaks, amazing work-place culture
Cons
no benefits, no vacation
I would not recommend working here
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAOctober 28, 2018
The benefits are pretty great. Dental, vision, and medical, as well as some other bonuses. The culture is not great. I would not recommend working here.
Cons
Lack of structure and organization
Revolving door, employees not valued enough
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 15, 2018
Discouraging atmosphere that severely underpays teachers. Basically a machine running on novice teachers who inevitably leave for better prospects. College for Certain and standardized test scores pushed too hard for the students, when they're receiving an inferior education year after year from brand new teachers.
Too much oversight and assessment
Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 3, 2018
The idea in these poor schools is that surveillance and outside management will improve teachers. But teachers are generally able to fix much of their own mistakes and improve themselves. My manager knew less about educational theories and research than did I but she was regularly micromanaging each aspect of my work. She didn't give me enough time to make changes before she would recheck on me. Some of her advice was directly contradictory to prevalent academic research about student motivations and psychology, so I wondered about whether I should show her the big body of research she was contradicting; quietly disregard her irrelevant comments; or obediently jump off the cliff with her to both of our deaths. This surveillance culture is excessive: students are tested weekly and almost daily. Teachers are monitored; micromanaged; surveilled; assessed too too much. Aspire seems to assume it is hiring bad teachers, who need to be constantly monitored. I am internally motivated to self-improve, but my inner motivations were not acknowledged. Because teachers are monitored so often, they are loathe to admit to not knowing anything, so the culture becomes competitive between teachers.
Cons
Way way too much surveillance and assessment
Fun and compassionate place to work at.
ELP Afterschool Educator (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 5, 2018
I love aspire public schools. This is my second school with them. My travel time to work is 2 hours and I need more pay. Everyone is understanding and reliable.
Great Place
Principal Resident (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 7, 2018
Great place to do work against the status quo of education. Great Benefits. Excellent way to learn site management, budget, LCAP, hiring, contracting for services, etc
Too many excuses for student misbehavior
Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 13, 2018
I liked Aspire in ways, but there were too many excuses for misbehaving students. Students could play all day long; students could cheat; students could get into fights. Regardless of the problem, students were given a second and third and fourth and fifth chance, etc. The number of chances given to students was ridiculous. As a teacher, I found the endless unresolved problems to be exhausting. And my compensation for this job was far below market salaries in this region. I was underpaid by many thousands of dollars.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Free pass to misbehaving students; burn out; low salary
Aspire Public School
ASPIRE GUEST TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2018
Aspire Public School guest teacher is one of the highest paid guest teaching jobs I have ever experienced. There aren't many benefits to being a substitute teacher it is generally just the short end of the stick, but the staff here is really supportive. The teachers are on top of their scheduling and the pay is kinda great.
Cut-throat talks a good game doesn’t back it up
Intervention (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 10, 2018
It was all peaches and cream in the beginning but things turned sour at the end with all the secrets and lack of communication you never know when your job maybe in jeopardy
Pros
Health benefits hours
Cons
Hush hush no transparency cut throat
Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 4, 2018
I found Aspire a good place to work. Staff and teachers were helpful and welcoming. Each day offered new opportunities to work with students. My schedule was flexible and allowed me the freedom to pursue other interests and opportunities
political
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 4, 2018
The environment is very political. If you are not one of the "favorites" you will have a harder time. There is not a lot of support for the classroom, and there is a lot of time wasted.
Disciplinary action was slim to none
After School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 14, 2018
At the Aspire school site I worked at, the after school director did not take action in disciplining children that were misbehaving. They rewarded bad behavior to try to get the child(ren) to be more motivated to do what they needed to do.
Pros
Food was supplied on some occasions, three paid sick days
Cons
lack of discipline towards misbehaved children

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aspire Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight