Associated Grocers of the South, Inc. Employee Reviews

Not a good job
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 11, 2019
Not a good job,it's not organized,they don't care about the employees, Management is no good,if u hurt yourself u better look for another job because they do not care about your health
Hardworking competetive atmostphere
ORDER PICKER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 3, 2019
Its very fast paced work days. Working to make your own percentage as well as keeping orders flowing on schedule. Side by side competitive atmosphere with coworkers.
Pros
Set your own pace and get what you give
Cons
Strenious on the body
No life balance at all!
Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, NHJanuary 2, 2019
Work 10+hours a day,usually 12
You work for the union so everything is by seniority,wich, unless you been there 4+ years is not worth much
If friday is your day off,be prepared to work because people with less seniority gets forced
Pros
Breaks every 2 hours, good Teamsters
Cons
Almost impossible to go up in seniority because people quit
not a good place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, NHOctober 14, 2018
this is not a good place anymore. it used to be years ago. it was like a family. after working there for over 20 years. i was not liked by a new supervisor and was forced out.
the only good thing i can say about this company is that they raise a lot of money for good local programs.
Pros
money wasn't bad
Cons
micro managed
AG was a great place to start my career
Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 28, 2018
AG was one of those jobs that helped me set the course for my career. I learned so much about Customers and business in general. I had opportunities to advance and learn new skills. Although the pay was lower than industry, I never feared that I would be laid off. I left only when I was presented with a job offer that was too good to pass up.
Good company
RECEIVING CLERK (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 27, 2018
The environment is nice. The supervisors are really nice and they will go above and beyond to help you. Everyone gets along very well. I loved working there.
very busy and fast paced
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 1, 2018
Associated Grocers of the South is a small grocery distribution center near the downtown area of Birmingham Alabama. For me, the pay did not match my potential. Most of the time as a shipping clerk I remained very busy. I enjoy staying busy but a lot of times there were communication problems because about a quarter of the associates did not speak very good English. The management seemed to do a pretty good job from what I observed during the short time I was there. None of my duties were above my skill level, but the most difficult part of the job was learning the computer systems. However, I very much enjoyed the fast paced environment and constant interactions with other associates.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
Bad scheduling. Poor motivation from management. Very dirty and unsafe warehouse to work in.
Good Job
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 17, 2018
The shipping clerk position is a desk/computer job. They give you time to train while being paid and provide adequate benefits. Mandatory overtime with an average weekly gross income of 700-750. The night shift hours are 9-12 hours on a regular basis.
Pros
Good Insurance
Cons
30 min lunch break
great
Delivery Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 3, 2017
Great company to work for have an great dispatch team whom looks out for you to ensure you get your miles sometimes you may have to layover and have great hotel options
Pros
people
Cons
Cold but a good place to work.
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 27, 2017
A good place to work. Disappointed that I was let go on my 30 day review. For only picking an incorrect item and never was giving a warning. It's cold in the freezer but if you get past your probation period you are suppose to get a pay of 17.00 or more.
Competetive and fast paced
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 27, 2017
If you know how to hustle and constantly improve your work ethic, this is a good place. Keep up your pace, constantly move, and listen to your manager.
This is a great company to work for.
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 14, 2017
It was great working there. I didn't have any problem with anyone. They was good people. The job was fast paste but with their great team and techniques I was able to keep up.
Good pay , hard work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Tarrant, ALJune 6, 2017
The job is what you make it . Working there, I grew friendships , focused more on team work to get the production done at the timely matter, and also overtime
Productive and safe Environment
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 18, 2017
This is a job i wanted to keep,Associated Grocers is a well organized and good managed company that i love but unfortunatly i couldnt work in that 0 degree temp in the freezer..I worked in hot area and i was good until people dont show up for work and several of us had to go and help out,it was a weekly thing at least two times a week and it was messing with my Quota...
Overall its the start of something new
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 27, 2017
Well its a different needs to be done daily so expect a change in the job field daily as well accomplishment new skills to obtain new employment
Pros
Everyday will be different so come perpared
Cons
Breaks sometime depend on your ability to transition from tasks to task
Work places would vary so hard to get use too
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 21, 2016
worked at different industries in the tri county area, work was not as consistent as I would have liked but it was a job.
Associated grocers
Forklift operator/Order selector (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 31, 2015
A good place that pays ggod money and have good benefits, good vacation time, good hours and sometimes overtime. holiday pay and you get to be off the day after the holiday or b4. A very competitive work place
No advancement opportunities and lousy raises
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 2, 2015
The President/CEO is more concerned with the stains on the carpet, not bringing food into the office, and wearing ties than he his about company moral. He removed the bottled water and oven from the break rooms and banned all birthday parties. Don't bring food into the office for everyone, you will get in trouble.
My raises despite getting excellent reviews of 5's were as follows for the last 7 years. 3%, 2%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%, 3%. No merit raises just cost of living. Everyone gets the same raises. My end-of-year bonus was $250 last year. Try to get as much money as you can when you are hired. It'll be all the money you'll see other than a cost of living.
If you are mediocre employee that is content with doing just enough to get by, this is the company for you. If you are a top-notch employee willing to go the extra mile to get ahead, don't waste your time.
If you like to slack off, then this is the company for you. You can surf the internet all day, talk on the phone with you mom, plan your next vacation, look for a new house, apply for a mortgage loan and even argue with your ex-wife all day and it will be okay.
You must get a note signed by your doctor every year proving you had a physical and one signed by your dentist proving your had your teeth cleaned or they will threaten to kick you off the company health insurance.
Non union office employees are treated like second rate citizens. While union employees get all types of bonuses, reimbursed for their copay for mandatory yearly physicals, cash prizes, and even entered into a drawing for a free cruise,
  more... and the past Christmas they were wearing new jackets with the AG logo on them. Office employees get free coffee and parking.
We do have a yearly employee appreciation dinner that is sponsored by Coca Cola. I'm not sure the if AG employees were being appreciated or Coca Cola employees. They are so cheap that they will also combine it with someones retirement dinner if they can.
We also have a Christmas dinner that is funded by the money that employees spend in the vending machines.
This company is not family friendly. I think it once was but now a thing of the past.
Pros
Free parking and coffee
Cons
lousy insurance, insufficient raises, no motivation to excel at your job

Comment – February 24, 2016

Update: After resigning my position at Associated Grocers and being at my new job for only 4 months, I received a end-of-year bonus that was more that all 7 years of my Associate Grocers bonuses added together. I should have left years ago. Dead end company.

Ok
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 1, 2015
Horrible work environment but great pay. Holes in ceiling leaks dangerous when raining. Management staff unconcerned.
Pros
pay
Cons
work condition building condition
Easy job, slow pace.
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 23, 2015
Easy job with not many task to complete. Management and co-workers were both easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was lifting products over 100+ pounds.
Pros
Weekly pay.
Cons
No benefits.