Associated Materials Employee Reviews

Typical factory environment, lots of back stabbing
Production Line Operator (Current Employee) –  West Salem, OHJanuary 25, 2019
If you don't talk to anyone you would probably be better off. Coworkers all throw people under the bus, management is different on each shift so every shift change is a nightmare. Corporate plays favorites and punishes people they think rock the boat. Two tier pay scale turns coworkers against each other and hurts job performance and quality. There is opportunities to advance. That's about the only good thing about that place.
Pros
Advancement with the company
Cons
Pay, management, coworkers, point system, vacation time
Good Place to work
Glass Cutting Operator (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAJanuary 24, 2019
I was one of the lucky people who had to commute to Bothell before they opened the new location in Fife. The new location was bigger newer and a lot cleaner. Management was nice and making sure employees had all the necessary equipment.
Pros
New location, Awesome management
Cons
pay
Don’t work here
Unsure (Current Employee) –  Fife, WADecember 17, 2018
Worst place to work at and they treat you like garbage and management likes to favor certain people. This is probably the worst job you could every work.
Pros
Cons
Everything you could think of
Above Average Salary
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHDecember 15, 2018
If it weren't for above average pay I don't believe this company would have any employees. Very old school and siloed. Almost as if manufacturing, corporate and distribution are three different companies. Very little training and career development opportunities in most areas and expected to just learn on the fly. Private equity firm just wants to grow top line sales and sell so most management decisions are made just to get by in the short term but very little long-term initiatives. The systems are all very outdated and it feels like the company still operates like it is in the 1970's. It is crazy to think this company has been in the building materials industry for over 60 years and still can't build a window because manufacturing turnover is so high. Management makes employees feel they are just lucky to have a job and just throw money & excuses at things instead of trying to learn from the rest of the industry
Pros
Above Average Pay, Average benefits
Cons
Communication, Just about everything else, very cutthroat
Fife AMI Slavery!!!
Quality (Current Employee) –  Fife, WADecember 14, 2018
From plant manager to all the supervisors and HR poor management! They treat people like slave. You only have two 10 minutes break and in that break, restroom and walking to the cafeteria is included. Who do that stuff? For working 10 hrs you only have total of 50 minutes break and lunch.
Average Work place
Pack out (Current Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHNovember 26, 2018
You will work for your finances Long hot days longer hours hard-working please management is not that great I barely want to give people raises a lot of people do not get hired in
Excellent corporation
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZNovember 13, 2018
excellent corporation and management. Teamwork, coaching and mentoring, lean manufacturing events, strong mission and vision, respect, dignity, professional ethics, goals oriented, key metrics in all areas.
cut throat
ISS Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 6, 2018
the different departments didn't work together. Many positions had huge turn over....even at the CEO level. This made it tough to have any steady progress in any area.
Pros
rarely worked weekends
Cons
big turnover at every position and management don't listen to concerns
Stressful work environment
Line Lead/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHOctober 31, 2018
During the summer it is extremely hot in the plant, exceeding 100F with the heat index at times. The hours are long and often unpredictable, and management has unrealistic expectations.

During the winter demand falls and people struggle to get 40 hours a week if they don't get laid off.

The pay is good just because of the amount of overtime you're forced to work during the summer/fall but the stress makes it not worth it in the long term.

Also they say you'll get hired in after 90 days but a year is a more realistic figure.
Most unfulfilling position
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHOctober 18, 2018
My direct supervisor was an excellent leader. Her boss, however, was horrendous. All of upper management were essentially titles only. None of them knew how to manage anything, including themselves. In the time I worked there (several years) I received one raise. They claimed raises were based on profit but somehow all of upper management drove Mercedes and BMWs. All the while customer service reps are being screamed at daily while being paid $13 an hour. Production of windows was horrible, shipping nearly always caused damage to products, and the warranty was terrible. Not to mention the warranty department.
Pros
Resume material
Cons
Everything else.

Want to know more about Associated Materials?

Ask a question
long work hours, poor management, lack of time for life outside work
wrapper (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHOctober 11, 2018
working for more than 12 hours every day. bad heat. people i worked with were more than amiable but management didnt seem to know what they were doing. only provided 1 break and a lunch. worked 6 sometimes 7 days a week
Pros
i was provided money weekly
Cons
only 1 break. no time to do anything but work. hard on the body
Great Place to Work
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHSeptember 22, 2018
Associated Materials is an amazing place to work. People are friendly and help each other. Managers are knowledgeable and helpful. Very good life work balance.
Stressful
Shipping Manager (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZSeptember 7, 2018
My job depends on the Production Aspect, production is constantly behind which puts my department in a hard spot as I am trying to provide product to the customer, yet trying to watch my hours.
Worst Job Ever
Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHSeptember 4, 2018
This job was not bad because of the work I had to do each day. It was bad because the lead (or department manager if you will) was over working everyone including them self to compensate for the life they wanted to live and the personal problems said person had going on financially after a divorce. We found ourselves working 6 days a week, 11 hours each day with only one 20 minute break in the morning and a half hour lunch at noon. Also to note, the lead would never tell us what time we were getting off either. It would be withheld from us like it was a secret. The money was nice but I had no time outside of work to myself and its easy to rack points there when you miss. The company does not care for your reasoning when you miss work; You will get a point. I cant speak for any other department because I didn't work in them but if you apply here I would advise against working in the screens department.
Cons
Overworking
Its a mess
West Coast Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHSeptember 2, 2018
I was spread too thin. I was working off the clock and it still was not enough. Management just pushes and pushes until you crack and can't take anymore. That is not a way to run a business. I actually loved the job but the pressure was too much. The turn over is very high.
Difficult to manage the number of clients expected based on brief training program
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 30, 2018
I am not happy here. I can perform the skill set however the training I had did not prepare me for the volume of communications that are time sensitive.
Pros
Relaxed business attire
Cons
Time sensitve workload
Working at associated materials
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Fife, WAJuly 28, 2018
I am a temp worker right now an have been there for 2 week's. I knew the 2nd shift that I was going to work for the job offer at the end of my obligation to My temp agency. I have net ppl that in my 2 week's there that I have never met at jobs that I have been at for yrs. The management is incredible they are right there on the floor working right next to us daily. The hrs are there for the ppl who want to work.. They told me from the 1st day that they don't See Me or anyone else there from a temp agency temps we are associates period. I'm very blessed to have this job. I am very grateful for the chance to show them that I deserve a job offer.
Pros
The whole management team an the upper management
Cons
no time for personal things or life.
Ok for entry level, but don't stay long and don't expect career advancement
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHJuly 10, 2018
The corporate environment leaves a lot to be desired. The management is apathetic to the salaried and hourly employee. There is an air of "tow the company line" and maintain the status quo. Proactive change is not part of their agenda. Employee satisfaction is not a priority. Medical benefits are absurdly expensive. No structured PTO policy- at the discretion of your manager. Micromanaging is a way of life here. Employee be aware!
Fast paced but fun place to work
Quality Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 19, 2018
I was a quality engineer intern for 3 months. I learned a lot about the manufacturing process and would really like another quality engineering position sometime.
Worry about Job Security
Director of Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Cuyahoga Falls, OHMay 22, 2018
Always worrying about job security not knowing who is buying us .

Wish managment would come clean . No job security whatsoever

Cant stand tghe presssure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Associated Materials. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7