Athelas Institute Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Athleas
RECRUITER-ADMIN. OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 26, 2017
good starter job if your new to the field. Management with work with you. Family atmosphere. Attempting to build stronger agency rapport. There are benefits but keep in mind it is a non profit agency so medical only offers HMO. Overall it’s still a good place to work
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Salary
It was a nice place to work
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 4, 2017
Athelas was a good place to work, I enjoyed working for them because they do a lot with the individuals. They have parties, cookout, track and field etc.. they keep the individuals busy and that’s what I like about Athelas.
Pros
Trips, parties, cookout and outings
Cons
Raises
Fun place to work with a lot of activities
Individual Support Services Staff (ISS) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 26, 2017
Athelas is a fun place to work with a lot of activities. Individuals have sports or other activities they perform daily. They include those activities as part of their daily life and staff are with them to assist them to grow.
At Athelas they were concerts, sports, multiple celebrations, and competitive activities. For example, there were training sessions as well with a lot of competition games. All staff took part in those training and game competitions with our customers. In sum, Athelas develops as a family.
Pros
A lot of free lunch in training seessions
Cons
The pay rate was not encouraging with regard to the load of staff responsibilities
N0t honest in hiring process
HOUSE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 6, 2017
worked 50 plus hours a week 6 days, not compensated. Management passes the buck, does not support or back you. Human Resources Department discloses yolur personal information to your peers.
the consumers are the best
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 29, 2017
a day in my shoes at work consist of enjoying my consumers taking them out in the community , teaching basic life skills , feeding , them grooming them bathing them , being in meetings , coming up with behavior plans for them
Pros
the consumers made it worth wild to come to school
Cons
the managment sucks i only one good manager and she did eveything even her bosses work
Very stressful and lack of tools and supplies to perform the job for the best opportunities for the individuals
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 28, 2017
For the first 7 years I worked in a classroom environment teaching autistic adults basic skills to strengthen their independence. At a day program facility. The remaining 10 years a worked at the home where 5 autistic men lived, taking them on outings and sports practices etc. This work was part time 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday every other week.
Pros
It was a pleasure to see the advancement of the individuals, developing greater social skills, and the appreciation most of them showed.
Cons
Poor salary, and lack of proper equipment for the best results
please do not work at Athelas
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 5, 2017
I would not advise anyone to apply at Athelas . I did not have a good working experience . all the department was the same no respect for the employees, gossip about each other and having personal relation with each other in the agency was common and excepted. Do not work there. very nasty place to work.
Unprofessional Environment
Living Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 18, 2017
Working with Athelas Institute has made me realize that workplace discrimination is alive and well. Management was not professional, individuals lived under poor conditions, and favoritism among the staff was at an all time high.
Pros
Flexible work schedule because of school
Cons
"Management"
Too much Drama
Assist intellectually disabled adults (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 24, 2017
the company has too many phony people that work there everyone is cut throat and they don't care about their employees at one time was a fun place to work but the people who are in charge now are very nasty and they are sneaky they will smile in your face and stab you in the back at the same time. they have some good people in management like the CEO of the company but he doesn't know half of the crooked stuff that his employees in in management get away with and its sad. he is a good man but the ones who are under him are some low down dirty dogs
Good individuals and fun to work with
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 25, 2017
I had a great time working there, made great friends and loved the individuals served. Miss them a lot and gained so much experience in health care while working there.
Pros
Free lunch occassionally
Cons
Good break time
Athelas
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 21, 2016
The clients and certain people on the management team make this company somewhere you want to be. However certain things make you question if they are really for the clients. All in all it depends on who you know not necessarily what you know
Great company to work for. Paid government holidays.
Accounting Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 17, 2016
Staff members are give a bonus at the end of the year. .Everyone gets along with upper and .lower staff. Fun event parties. the drive I ten minutes from home.

Pros
Paid government holidays
Cons
Difficult for people with disabilities to gain access to the second floor
a fun working place
Aide (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 9, 2015
-Interacting with the young adults with developmental disabilities.

-Enhancing the social and motor skills of the young adults with developmental disabilities.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 12, 2015
Loved every minute of being able to assist all of the individuals in need. They were supported during daily activities and community outings.
teamwork
cla (Current Employee) –  rosedaleAugust 18, 2015
I like to work her its a lot of teamwork which works out well, I really enjoy getting to know the individuals, and learning about them all, They all have there very own personality
Very supportive
ISS/CSLA Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MdJuly 7, 2015
I love what I do and I would recommend this agency for anyone wanting to work with persons dealing with intellectual disabilities
A very laid back company that keeps u busy with friendly and loving clients
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 20, 2015
-Very serious
-How to deal with different personality's
-Strong
-Close and dependable
-Attachment
-Being able to help and have no incidents
Pros
In service with lunch
Cons
Breaks and community outings
An honorable and educational experience for all involved
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 11, 2014
The Athelas Institute is an organization that helps facilitate the advancement of adults with developmental disabilities in everyday life. Their work allows clients and employees to socialize freely, allowing for maximum personal growth for both parties.
At the Community Resource Center (CRC), our duty was to monitor the daily activity of clients whose level of function allowed them to continue working with others. Those clients who did not leave the facility for daily contract work were the responsibility of myself and several other employees. While every employee monitored every client, we each had our own group on which we focused. My group consisted of eleven clients, each with individual goals and desires. It was my duty to encourage them by rewarding their positive achievements, as well as preventing negative behaviors.
At Athelas, I learned a lot about respect for the people around me. This does not just apply to those with disabilities, but to everybody. Every individual has different needs and desires that must be respected, even if they do not align with my own ideals. While some of these desires can be harmful to others, they must still be regarded with the respect the individual needs as a person; simply labeling an individual and leaving it at that dehumanizes the person.
Management was friendly, but often hands-off. The people working above me were accessible and kind, but often left the floor employees to their own work. The manager of the CRC was often very busy in her own office and only appeared for occasions such as lunch and payment handouts.
  more... When she did appear, she was a firm but approachable boss with a good attitude.
My co-workers were very strong people emotionally. They could be stern at times, but they were respected people among the clients and balanced enforcement of the company rules with the care the clients needed. They always had open ears for the clients' issues and dreams and encouraged the pursuit of those dreams even when they seemed out of reach. It was a great pleasure to work with them.
The hardest part of the job was letting go. The clients at Athelas are for the most part very friendly; indeed, they look for friendship and kindness as much as anyone else around them. I was quite glad to provide them with my enthusiasm. However, this made leaving very difficult. When I left Athelas, the clients all showed their appreciation for my work, which felt very good. However, this also made it harder to leave, even though I was slated to start college in a short time.
The most enjoyable job was working with the clients. As I said above, they really appreciated my efforts to reach out and help them. In turn, they were very good people with which to work. The experience was very educational and rewarding. I would not surrender that experience for anything.
Pros
Great interpersonal experience, kind clients, great learning and training
Cons
Somewhat bland work area, somwhat low pay, low universal appeal
All the individuals are Great
BCRS Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbia MDJune 19, 2013
Working with Individuals with a mental disability is my passion