athenahealth Employee Reviews

fun
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 23, 2018
I enjoyed working there. The staff the patients were a delight. I looked forward to getting up in the morning to go to work. The management cares about their employees
Pros
great hours and stafff
workplace culture
Client Service Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 6, 2018
The job itself can be challenging if you are not use to dealing with angry clients who do not understand technology. Team managers can be resourceful at times.
Extremely stressful, but amazing people
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MASeptember 30, 2018
Long hours, extreme demands, constantly changing priorities, internal politics and swirl.

Amazing people (although many are leaving given current uncertainty about the company), many opportunities to learn and do important work. Some teams are willing to provide flexible schedules.
Athenahealth - big company with startup feel
Technical Architect / Clinicals Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MASeptember 19, 2018
Athenahealth is a great company to work for. There are great benefits including bonuses, PTO, 401k match, dogs allowed at work, food trucks and great cafe. It has a real start up feel to the company even though its much larger and profitable than a start up.
They are fair
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 11, 2018
Good company to work for if you like weird hours and a loud boss lady to supervise you who can mot help you with anything but more claoms all grea things come to those who help
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Fast paced client facing position in a constantly changing environment
Client Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MESeptember 4, 2018
Working here has taught me a lot about what my strengths and opportunities are. Lots of talking with clients about their questions with navigating the system and our workflows. Supportive culture not punitive. A fun place to work
Pros
Collaborative, teaching and learning
Cons
Stressful, phone work
Glad to be gone
Pre-registration coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 8, 2018
Terrible management the last few months of employment. I felt like I was in high school. I was actually asked to train my replacements as they closed my office and instead of being treated as a resource, I was treated as if I was beneath the staff that I was actually training. I was shown very little respect at the end of my tenure and the manager held a meeting with me for the MOST inappropriate complaint I have received to date. A fellow co-worker interpreted my instant message as aggressive when I told her to reach out to me for help since the other associate was working on a schedule that was for the next day (the surgery schedule - aka the money maker for facilities) which is considered priority, so I took it upon myself in order to keep the associate working the priority schedule to not be disturbed, suggested she reach out to me with any questions and I caught a lot of heat for that. It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever been coached and counseled on. Needless to say, I do not miss working for the company.
Joke
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 1, 2018
Place is a JOKE Do not waste your time applying to this high school environment. absolutely no room for growth. and they will never promote from within. If i could rate it negative stars I would.
Fun workplace with great work/life balance
Corporate Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 27, 2018
A typical work day at Athena was fast-paced but very productive. The culture was versatile, seeing anything from shorts and a polo to a full suit and tie. I really enjoyed my internship here and I learned many new skills from my team that I can use to be very beneficial to other companies.
Great Culture HORRIBLE Mgmt Team and Far removed Senior Leadership Team
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 26, 2018
athenahealth, Inc. is a leading provider of web-based business services for medical groups. athenahealth’s service offerings are based on proprietary web-native practice management and electronic health record (EHR) software, a continuously updated payer knowledge-base, integrated back-office service operations, and automated and live patient communication services.
Pros
Work From Home, Travel, Bring your dog to work, relaxed dress code, company sponsored outings quarterly Great open environment
Cons
Leadership
Struggling, but with strong potential
Senior Consumer Engagement Associate (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAJuly 19, 2018
The main issues at athena are the executive leadership, leaping before looking, and pressure from an aggressive activist investor.
athena has a great culture that is working to get better. Its employee resource groups are great. However, the company has a history of changing its structure, goals, guidance, etc. on the fly. This makes for a chaotic working environment unless you are in one of the core products that are mostly stable.
athena has a tremendous amount of potential, and good mid-level management. The employees are passionate, vocal, and hard working. It's a good company to work for if you can handle a fair amount of instability and are flexible.
Pros
Culture, Solid Benefits, Talented Workforce
Cons
Industry Headwinds, Executive Leadership, Activist Investor
Good Opportunity
CUSTOMER SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2018
Athenahealth was a pretty decent company to work for...they were very picky and seemed to label you at the door, but I guess they had overall good intentions. The company experienced a huge layoff at some point in the last year, hopefully they are doing everything to satisfy their clients. There were a lot of unhappy clients.
Great place to learn and grow.
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Easton, MAJuly 18, 2018
Large tight-knit staff, never a dull moment. I've grown so much since starting this job and will always be thankful for the people I've worked with here.
Pros
Competitive benefits package, Paid holidays.
Good for a Year, but no career advancement opportunity and poor management/culture
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
This would be a cool job to snag immediately after graduating college, stay a year, and leave, but overall it is not somewhere you should try to seek growth. The travel is very erratic. You'll end up going from being on the road for 8 weeks straight to spending 3 months in office. While in office there is little to do and you end up sitting around for 8 hours. This may seem great at first, getting paid to do nothing, but it will inevitably lure you into laziness.

If you'd describe yourself as a self starter who doesn't need instruction or direction, then great!! Good luck avoiding management while trying to work on what will advance your career, which doesn't include doing school work, certification work, or any other type of work that they don't believe is work appropriate.
Pros
Some travel to exciting US Cities
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Compensation, Poor Culture, Poor Growth Opportunity
Dream job
Senior Project Associate - Implementation (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 12, 2018
I truly do love this company, their mission and vision and will retire here, good lord willing. Benefits, culture, team spirit, leadership and forward thinking are just a few things I value most.
Productive and fun place to work
Representative (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEJuly 2, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at athenahealth. The culture makes going to work fun. Management is understanding. Work attire is comfortable. Location just isn't workable for me.
To Many Changes
Customer Success Manager (Current Employee) –  Powder Springs, GAJune 30, 2018
The company went through a major change October 2017 and the company hasn't been the same since. Low morale, stressful with to much work and not enough leadership makes.
OK but huge changes
Customer Success Management (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJune 19, 2018
My entire chain of command is no longer at the company. Huge changes going on. They have currently laid off a lot of the CSC and many people have left on their own. Great EMR system. I hope the new CEO and owners can make it a great company.
Athena
SENIOR IMPLEMENTATION ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2018
Great company. Bad structure to certain depts. Needs help finding structure Undergoing changes like most companies, but changes are substantial and affecting a majority of the employees
Not the Company for Growth Opportunities
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2018
Not the Company for Growth Opportunities

Management - Skill Less, Rude, Vindictive, Disrespectful

Workplace Culture - Went from GREAT to NONEXISTENT

No Job Security or Stability

FOREVER CHANGING

Ask a question about working or interviewing at athenahealth. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight