athenahealth Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good for a Year, but no career advancement opportunity and poor management/culture
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
This would be a cool job to snag immediately after graduating college, stay a year, and leave, but overall it is not somewhere you should try to seek growth. The travel is very erratic. You'll end up going from being on the road for 8 weeks straight to spending 3 months in office. While in office there is little to do and you end up sitting around for 8 hours. This may seem great at first, getting paid to do nothing, but it will inevitably lure you into laziness.

If you'd describe yourself as a self starter who doesn't need instruction or direction, then great!! Good luck avoiding management while trying to work on what will advance your career, which doesn't include doing school work, certification work, or any other type of work that they don't believe is work appropriate.
Pros
Some travel to exciting US Cities
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Compensation, Poor Culture, Poor Growth Opportunity
Productive and fun place to work
Representative (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEJuly 2, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at athenahealth. The culture makes going to work fun. Management is understanding. Work attire is comfortable. Location just isn't workable for me.
To Many Changes
Customer Success Manager (Current Employee) –  Powder Springs, GAJune 30, 2018
The company went through a major change October 2017 and the company hasn't been the same since. Low morale, stressful with to much work and not enough leadership makes.
OK but huge changes
Customer Success Management (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJune 19, 2018
My entire chain of command is no longer at the company. Huge changes going on. They have currently laid off a lot of the CSC and many people have left on their own. Great EMR system. I hope the new CEO and owners can make it a great company.
Athena
SENIOR IMPLEMENTATION ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2018
Great company. Bad structure to certain depts. Needs help finding structure Undergoing changes like most companies, but changes are substantial and affecting a majority of the employees
Not the Company for Growth Opportunities
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2018
Not the Company for Growth Opportunities

Management - Skill Less, Rude, Vindictive, Disrespectful

Workplace Culture - Went from GREAT to NONEXISTENT

No Job Security or Stability

FOREVER CHANGING
Fun place to work plagued by activist investor
Manager, Business Analysis (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 6, 2018
athenahealth was very close to my dream job and was ultimately torn to leave by company geo-strategy (focusing the product side of the business in locations outside of Atlanta). The people are amazing, the work is awesome, you definitely work hard and play some. The activist investor made the company change a bit also, but again the people and the work were the best part of working here.
Pros
Culture, people, environment, perks
Cons
Compensation, activist investor problems
Work from home opportunities
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEJune 6, 2018
You can work from home. They pay for your internet. The benefits are expensive. You can come into the office to work if you want. The people are friendly.
A secure place to work
Senior Complex Issue Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEMay 30, 2018
I worked there almost 3 years and only quit because I wanted to focus more on my passions. There is good pay, benefits, culture, and colleagues. Would recommend!
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Some management, too many meetings
Overal Good Company
Revenue Analyst (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MEMay 28, 2018
Great culture, overall good company great atmosphere, very flexable, pay is not that great and managers are not that supportive, room for advancment, job security is not great
Pros
Cons
Does not pay great

Want to know more about athenahealth?

Ask a question
Great Work/Life balance
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2018
athenaHealth is a great place to work. Most days are pretty routine but for the days that are abnormal management does a great job at making sure to keep everyone motivated to get through the day
A great envirnment to work in
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2018
Working at Athena health was so much fun, the environment was relaxed and it was a high volume call center. During my employment with the company I learned a lot, I have learn to be confident in my delivery. The managers were very helpful we had one on ones which help have stronger communication skills. The culture of the workplace was transparency, we could be ourselves. There was no hard part in working there. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and the environment was always fun but structured.
Pros
We a culture team that planned different fun things for us to do
Pretty good
Provider Enrollment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MaineMay 12, 2018
Good place to work. Good advancement if you get a good manager. Yearly raise and bonus. Annoying corporate stuff and right now potential sale causing job insecurity. Over all good place but you gotta work at it.
Pros
Flexible schedule, decent benefits
Cons
Corporate, sometimes cliquey
Good work place
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTMay 10, 2018
Good work place i would say but there needs to be more communication. The hire ups do not communicate with the lower staffing and there is always a mess with the staffing and the way to run the place.
Pros
Working with the elderly
Cons
Short breaks, short staffed, no communication
Good workplace
Payer Configuration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEApril 23, 2018
Good company to start your career with, excellent environment to work, poor middle management on the floor, tribal, many meetings, there is differences between the offices in Watertown,MA, and Belfast.ME the difference in positions, salary
Pros
Athena culture, flexibility
Cons
Poor management
Fun workplace
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 21, 2018
Athena is a nice relaxed place to work... Its very laid back not much to do there so a lot of the time its super chill.. The management is really nice though so that's always good
Pros
I get to meet new people
Cons
Low pay, no gas compensation
fast pace growth company
Senior Manager Property Managerment (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEApril 10, 2018
progressive company with many opportunities for growth and advancements. athenahealth has internal training to help employees to achieve the skills needed for promotions.
Was a Great a Place to Work at One Time
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTApril 7, 2018
This used to be a great place to work. Over the years the owner became money hungry and it became less about the employees and residents and more about what could be done to ensure his pockets stayed fat.
Job security was always iffy. Overall, if you are flying under the radar it is not a bad place to work, but anything above a line staff supervisor puts you in the spotlight for scrutiny.
Strong grass roots culture
Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAMarch 30, 2018
The corporate culture is trying to get better, but as long as JB stays they will always struggle. If you can keep separated from the C suite you'll probably be working with good people.
Pros
Donut fridays
Cons
Health and dental packages are weak
Fantastic place to work with a few bumps..
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 15, 2018
I have been at athena for almost 6 years. I have seen the company grow in great strides, as well as my share of sad moments. However, overall I highly recommend athena as a great place to work. The culture is fantastic, laid back and they really try to make you feel at home. My Manager is amazing and I couldnt ask for someone better than her! I have learned and grown so much over the extent of my time here. I don't plan on stopping either!
Pros
Culture, Work from Home capabilities, My Manager, Coworkers
Cons
Wage is short for someone in my position, constantly changing, lack of advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at athenahealth. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight