athenahealth Employee Reviews

Good for a Year, but no career advancement opportunity and poor management/culture
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
This would be a cool job to snag immediately after graduating college, stay a year, and leave, but overall it is not somewhere you should try to seek growth. The travel is very erratic. You'll end up going from being on the road for 8 weeks straight to spending 3 months in office. While in office there is little to do and you end up sitting around for 8 hours. This may seem great at first, getting paid to do nothing, but it will inevitably lure you into laziness.

If you'd describe yourself as a self starter who doesn't need instruction or direction, then great!! Good luck avoiding management while trying to work on what will advance your career, which doesn't include doing school work, certification work, or any other type of work that they don't believe is work appropriate.
Pros
Some travel to exciting US Cities
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Compensation, Poor Culture, Poor Growth Opportunity
Struggling, but with strong potential
Senior Consumer Engagement Associate (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAJuly 19, 2018
The main issues at athena are the executive leadership, leaping before looking, and pressure from an aggressive activist investor.
athena has a great culture that is working to get better. Its employee resource groups are great. However, the company has a history of changing its structure, goals, guidance, etc. on the fly. This makes for a chaotic working environment unless you are in one of the core products that are mostly stable.
athena has a tremendous amount of potential, and good mid-level management. The employees are passionate, vocal, and hard working. It's a good company to work for if you can handle a fair amount of instability and are flexible.
Pros
Culture, Solid Benefits, Talented Workforce
Cons
Industry Headwinds, Executive Leadership, Activist Investor
Great pay no advancement
COTA/L (Former Employee) –  Waterbury,CTJanuary 6, 2019
As a COTA, there was no upward mobility for me without earning my degree as a OTR. I'm not interested in going back to school but very interested in learning and growing with a company. I hope Athena will someday give OTA's and PTA's an opportunity to advance into management. Truly enjoyed working for this company!
Pros
Pay
Cons
No advancement
Culture used to be fun, but has declined in the past couple of years
Client Success Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 10, 2019
The culture has really declined the past couple of years. There are still pockets of really good and talented people and teams but in general it doesn't feel like the company cares as much about it's employees like it once did and has shifted to the typical "corporate America", stodgy culture that has brought it's competitor's down. What used to draw talent and make athena so unique is slowly dying. The solutions still have promise but have been neglected due to lack of focus.
Pros
Dog friendly offices in great locations.
Cons
Uncertainty of future
Fun place to work plagued by activist investor
Manager, Business Analysis (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 6, 2018
athenahealth was very close to my dream job and was ultimately torn to leave by company geo-strategy (focusing the product side of the business in locations outside of Atlanta). The people are amazing, the work is awesome, you definitely work hard and play some. The activist investor made the company change a bit also, but again the people and the work were the best part of working here.
Pros
Culture, people, environment, perks
Cons
Compensation, activist investor problems
Extremely stressful, but amazing people
Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MASeptember 30, 2018
Long hours, extreme demands, constantly changing priorities, internal politics and swirl.

Amazing people (although many are leaving given current uncertainty about the company), many opportunities to learn and do important work. Some teams are willing to provide flexible schedules.
athenahealth use to be great.
Hospital Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2019
athenahealth is going through an identity crisis. I used to love coming to work with my team. After the companies recent acquisition, people are being cut loose for financial reasons. It's had turned to a culture of fearing for your job instead of a fun vibrate place to work toward the main goal, make healthcare work better.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Short sighted leadership
Good workplace
Payer Configuration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEApril 23, 2018
Good company to start your career with, excellent environment to work, poor middle management on the floor, tribal, many meetings, there is differences between the offices in Watertown,MA, and Belfast.ME the difference in positions, salary
Pros
Athena culture, flexibility
Cons
Poor management
Not the Company for Growth Opportunities
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 8, 2018
Not the Company for Growth Opportunities

Management - Skill Less, Rude, Vindictive, Disrespectful

Workplace Culture - Went from GREAT to NONEXISTENT

No Job Security or Stability

FOREVER CHANGING
Dream job
Senior Project Associate - Implementation (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 12, 2018
I truly do love this company, their mission and vision and will retire here, good lord willing. Benefits, culture, team spirit, leadership and forward thinking are just a few things I value most.
Glad to be gone
Pre-registration coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 8, 2018
Terrible management the last few months of employment. I felt like I was in high school. I was actually asked to train my replacements as they closed my office and instead of being treated as a resource, I was treated as if I was beneath the staff that I was actually training. I was shown very little respect at the end of my tenure and the manager held a meeting with me for the MOST inappropriate complaint I have received to date. A fellow co-worker interpreted my instant message as aggressive when I told her to reach out to me for help since the other associate was working on a schedule that was for the next day (the surgery schedule - aka the money maker for facilities) which is considered priority, so I took it upon myself in order to keep the associate working the priority schedule to not be disturbed, suggested she reach out to me with any questions and I caught a lot of heat for that. It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever been coached and counseled on. Needless to say, I do not miss working for the company.
A secure place to work
Senior Complex Issue Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEMay 30, 2018
I worked there almost 3 years and only quit because I wanted to focus more on my passions. There is good pay, benefits, culture, and colleagues. Would recommend!
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Some management, too many meetings
Great place to learn and grow.
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Easton, MAJuly 18, 2018
Large tight-knit staff, never a dull moment. I've grown so much since starting this job and will always be thankful for the people I've worked with here.
Pros
Competitive benefits package, Paid holidays.
Athenahealth - big company with startup feel
Technical Architect / Clinicals Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MASeptember 19, 2018
Athenahealth is a great company to work for. There are great benefits including bonuses, PTO, 401k match, dogs allowed at work, food trucks and great cafe. It has a real start up feel to the company even though its much larger and profitable than a start up.
Great Culture HORRIBLE Mgmt Team and Far removed Senior Leadership Team
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 26, 2018
athenahealth, Inc. is a leading provider of web-based business services for medical groups. athenahealth’s service offerings are based on proprietary web-native practice management and electronic health record (EHR) software, a continuously updated payer knowledge-base, integrated back-office service operations, and automated and live patient communication services.
Pros
Work From Home, Travel, Bring your dog to work, relaxed dress code, company sponsored outings quarterly Great open environment
Cons
Leadership
Fantastic place to work with a few bumps..
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 15, 2018
I have been at athena for almost 6 years. I have seen the company grow in great strides, as well as my share of sad moments. However, overall I highly recommend athena as a great place to work. The culture is fantastic, laid back and they really try to make you feel at home. My Manager is amazing and I couldnt ask for someone better than her! I have learned and grown so much over the extent of my time here. I don't plan on stopping either!
Pros
Culture, Work from Home capabilities, My Manager, Coworkers
Cons
Wage is short for someone in my position, constantly changing, lack of advancement opportunities
Productive and fun place to work
Representative (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEJuly 2, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working at athenahealth. The culture makes going to work fun. Management is understanding. Work attire is comfortable. Location just isn't workable for me.
Fast paced client facing position in a constantly changing environment
Client Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MESeptember 4, 2018
Working here has taught me a lot about what my strengths and opportunities are. Lots of talking with clients about their questions with navigating the system and our workflows. Supportive culture not punitive. A fun place to work
Pros
Collaborative, teaching and learning
Cons
Stressful, phone work
Poor Management = Loss of talent and poor direction
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAFebruary 15, 2018
Most of my peers were intelligent folks but I could not say the same for management. Lack of clear direction and focus on non-essentials led to throwing bodies at problems instead of putting in the time and resources for a sustainable solution. Lack of diversity in senior leadership and throughout the company is concerning mostly because of the company's lack in ability to admit and change the fact that it is a company run by traditional, white, straight, men. This piled on by the fact that some roles are not paid market at market value.
Pros
business causal, peers/teamwork mentality
Cons
lack of diversity, poor compensation, questionable leadership/management
fun
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 23, 2018
I enjoyed working there. The staff the patients were a delight. I looked forward to getting up in the morning to go to work. The management cares about their employees
Pros
great hours and stafff
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at athenahealth. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at athenahealth.

Powered by Comparably