athenahealth Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great Work/Life balance
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2018
athenaHealth is a great place to work. Most days are pretty routine but for the days that are abnormal management does a great job at making sure to keep everyone motivated to get through the day
Pretty good
Provider Enrollment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Belfast, MaineMay 12, 2018
Good place to work. Good advancement if you get a good manager. Yearly raise and bonus. Annoying corporate stuff and right now potential sale causing job insecurity. Over all good place but you gotta work at it.
Pros
Flexible schedule, decent benefits
Cons
Corporate, sometimes cliquey
Good work place
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTMay 10, 2018
Good work place i would say but there needs to be more communication. The hire ups do not communicate with the lower staffing and there is always a mess with the staffing and the way to run the place.
Pros
Working with the elderly
Cons
Short breaks, short staffed, no communication
Good workplace
Payer Configuration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEApril 23, 2018
Good company to start your career with, excellent environment to work, poor middle management on the floor, tribal, many meetings, there is differences between the offices in Watertown,MA, and Belfast.ME the difference in positions, salary
Pros
Athena culture, flexibility
Cons
Poor management
Fun workplace
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAApril 21, 2018
Athena is a nice relaxed place to work... Its very laid back not much to do there so a lot of the time its super chill.. The management is really nice though so that's always good
Pros
I get to meet new people
Cons
Low pay, no gas compensation
fast pace growth company
Senior Manager Property Managerment (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEApril 10, 2018
progressive company with many opportunities for growth and advancements. athenahealth has internal training to help employees to achieve the skills needed for promotions.
Was a Great a Place to Work at One Time
Director (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTApril 7, 2018
This used to be a great place to work. Over the years the owner became money hungry and it became less about the employees and residents and more about what could be done to ensure his pockets stayed fat.
Job security was always iffy. Overall, if you are flying under the radar it is not a bad place to work, but anything above a line staff supervisor puts you in the spotlight for scrutiny.
Strong grass roots culture
Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAMarch 30, 2018
The corporate culture is trying to get better, but as long as JB stays they will always struggle. If you can keep separated from the C suite you'll probably be working with good people.
Pros
Donut fridays
Cons
Health and dental packages are weak
Fantastic place to work with a few bumps..
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 15, 2018
I have been at athena for almost 6 years. I have seen the company grow in great strides, as well as my share of sad moments. However, overall I highly recommend athena as a great place to work. The culture is fantastic, laid back and they really try to make you feel at home. My Manager is amazing and I couldnt ask for someone better than her! I have learned and grown so much over the extent of my time here. I don't plan on stopping either!
Pros
Culture, Work from Home capabilities, My Manager, Coworkers
Cons
Wage is short for someone in my position, constantly changing, lack of advancement opportunities
Direct Manager was great. Senior management not so good.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEMarch 12, 2018
My direct manager was great. Would always make time to assist with questions and issues. Senior management was really not aware of what the daily work of operations.
Pros
Great teamates
Cons
Senior management
Great place to work. Advancing healthcare technology
Director Client Integration (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAMarch 6, 2018
Loved working here. Would highly recommend company. Exteremely collaborative and very hard working culture, You feel like you are part of a bug family and are well supported. They are on the cutting edge of revenue cycle and EHR technology
If you like cults...
CSC phone monkey (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEMarch 4, 2018
Lasted there a year in a cult-like atmosphere. Recent cutbacks are creating poor morale amongst seasoned employees, and many are leaving.

If you apply, do not apply for the CSC. You'll be tethered to a phone, speaking with rude doctors and practice managers. Your managers will tell you how wonderful athena is 24/7, and if you are sick or miss a day, you'll be treated like excrement.

Run by the Bush crime family, this company isn't long for a hostile takeover.
Pros
Occasional free pizza or beer
Cons
Creepy cult-like atmosphere
fast paced, stressful job.
customer service analyst (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEMarch 3, 2018
This company is very rigid. If you need to use the bathroom, it counts against your productivity. If you are not a fast self-teacher, they make you feel slow by constantly telling you that you are behind. I asked for a medical waiver to use the bathroom more and they let me go the following Monday. This job seems to work for some people, but be prepared to live and breathe Athena or they won't accept you.
Pros
pay and compensation
Cons
neck breaking pace
Good First Job, Bad Job to Expect Growth
Senior Client Implementation Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2018
Management is unorganized and corrupted. CEO is ignorant. Our role is constantly changing without any updates/explanations to us. Our role is not utilized in office and we are doing other job roles that are not our own. Pay is not worth travelling for 80% of the year. Management tells false information/illegal information to their employees.
Super Fun Place to Work!
Senior Client Implementation Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2018
Fun place to work. They have a game room with a pool table, ping-pong table and arcade games. The office is in a really hip area and there are a lot of shops and restaurants nearby. They like to work and play hard.
Pros
Company Happy Hour, Game Room, Team building exercises, Modern work environment
Cons
Management Detachment, "Launch and Learn" instead of having a true gameplan, Over promise and under deliver
Work environment was very warming
Client Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 27, 2018
The office made it a lot easier to enjoy coming into work. Its a team environment so if you're not team oriented you wont like it. The office has a lot of events to embrace one another.
Pros
perks and office location
Cons
Not many cons
Athenahealth is not for everyone
Human Resources Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAFebruary 27, 2018
While I worked at this company for a few years, I would not recommend it to others. They are incredibly fast-paced, which isn't for everyone, and the amount of management changes made within a year is too much. People were constantly coming and going and there wasn't a true sense of leadership with the company.
Poor Management = Loss of talent and poor direction
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAFebruary 15, 2018
Most of my peers were intelligent folks but I could not say the same for management. Lack of clear direction and focus on non-essentials led to throwing bodies at problems instead of putting in the time and resources for a sustainable solution. Lack of diversity in senior leadership and throughout the company is concerning mostly because of the company's lack in ability to admit and change the fact that it is a company run by traditional, white, straight, men. This piled on by the fact that some roles are not paid market at market value.
Pros
business causal, peers/teamwork mentality
Cons
lack of diversity, poor compensation, questionable leadership/management
Great collaboration with team.
Level 1 Deskside /Desktop support (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 3, 2018
I enjoyed the time I've spent at Athenahealth with the team I had. Everyone in my team would support one another in a heartbeat, I was always learning something new.
Great Culture, Out of touch leadership
Enterprise - National Health Systems (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAFebruary 2, 2018
Leadership does not have a good understanding of their own business or how it is operating at ground level. Nor do they care to figure it out. Sales, Product, Marketing, Account Management all blame each other for failures instead of working together

Ask a question about working or interviewing at athenahealth. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss