Athens Administrators Employee Reviews

Busy workplace that provides options to grow and build relationships
Third Party Administrator (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAOctober 23, 2018
Athens is a place where the culture encourages team and family. It is professionally structured and the chances for advancement are available yet competitive.
Pros
Fully committed to the client and will recognize the employees
Cons
Sometimes the management is unreasonable along with case load
Evolving company from small family owned to midsize with expected challenges
Sr Administrator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CA and Orange CAOctober 18, 2018
Initially Athens was a refreshing place to work with supportive management and average claims activities interfacing with clients, claimants, doctors and attorneys, . As the company grew and evolved, industry changes and legal changes began to take their toll. A new and unfriendly claims system was installed and because the company didn't put the money into an available upgrade, examiners were forced to perform work around functions to obtain and work with claim data. Before long, the claim examiners were simply data input clerks whose job function was simply to make the statistics look good. In my opinion, this caused claim quality to suffer.Injured workers became faceless statistics.

One particularly difficult incident occurred when I was removed from a self insured account I had been hired to administer, and none of the managers would tell me why. I had the account completely in control, and completely current at all times. I had a good relationship with the client and claimants and I had an enjoyable job. The company stumbled all over itself for lack of an explanation. Finally the Sales Manager gave me the final word "its just business". They assigned me to a new desk of miscellaneous claims and time went on. Thereafter I went on a 3 week planned vacation, and no one backed up my desk while I was gone, despite my persistent requests for help. I came back to 1000 pieces of un-reviewed mail, late awards, penalties, and myriad of problems one would anticipate from sheer neglect. That incident lead to my demise.

The most difficult part of the job was the lack
  more... of transparency on the part of branch management as well as the lack of support on the part of branch management. There is always some dark secret lurking just beneath the surface which will eventually consume you as it did me,

The best part of the job was working with some awesome colleagues,
and a decent salary.
Pros
salary
Cons
long hours, unreasonable demands, lack of support and poor management
Wonderful people. Team orientated.
Assistant Claims Examiner/Medical Only Designation (Former Employee) –  Concord, CASeptember 7, 2018
Athens is a wonderful place to work. All Managers are kind and helpful. They believe in second chances. Athens care about the employees and their well being. From time to time there are activities that employees can partake during working hours as long as it does not compromise their work. Employees are friendly and helpful.
Caring and employee-centric company
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 4, 2016
This organization truly cares about its employees. The industry itself is stressful and fast-paced and Athens recognizes that by providing creative incentives, rewards, and various types of breaks for the staff. Having come from a staffing and HR background and seeing the competition in the East Bay, I was very impressed when learning about Athens reputation in the industry from outside parties. They treat not only the clients but the employees like people and not just a number. Their benefits and salaries are both solid and competitive and there is constant activity in making a better life/work balance for the staff at ALL levels (massages, exercise classes, multiple break rooms, extracurricular events...) as well as providing incentives in the form of money, PTO, or products for the staff.
Pros
Family-owned, incentives, benefits package
enjoyed position and coworkers, no job security
Document Processing Representative (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAFebruary 19, 2016
I enjoyed the position and coworkers with this company however job security was constantly in question and made daily tasks stressful, Also a underpaying company
company stuck in the 90s
Director (Former Employee) –  irvineSeptember 14, 2015
regressive leadership, politics, and zero motivation for innovation. low salaries, feels like DMV, very harsh workign conditions
Pros
Cons
politics, carreer advancement
Excellent Company to work for.
Assistant Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAFebruary 3, 2014
this was one of the better companies I have worked for. This is all I have to say
Good work environment
ASSISTANT CLAIMS EXAMINER (Current Employee) –  Concord, CA June 5, 2013
Overall, this is a great Company to work for. It is still small enough to care about the employees vs having the corporate envirnment.
They encourage employees to post for advanced positions. They keep up with the advances in technology and implement updated electronic claim systems.
Great Benefits
Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CaJune 5, 2013
Very nice Location. Work independently. Flexible hours
Work hours 37.50 Standard. You can work longer and get one day off per month. You can start as early as 7:00 am or as late as 9:00am.
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Out dated computer system slow and not user friendly