Atkins Employee Reviews

lack of work
Level II Senior Nuclear Engineer, and team lead (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAJanuary 9, 2019
poor management led to lack of work which led to layoffs;

a typical day … go to work, check email, have morning meeting to get project updates, go back to office to work on something

I learned that often management gets it really wrong, more than they get it right

culture was awesome

hardest part of the job was usually trying to find work, and keeping busy

most enjoyable was the culture
Great Work Place
Traffic Operator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 3, 2018
The workplace is great; quiet and friendly. They make sure you can advance if you like and they also make sure that you are aware of training classes to advance.
a great place to work
Senior Survey Technician III (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 9, 2018
The great thing about Atkins was the diversity in they type of work we did. It varied from land survey to drafting. No two days were the same. The ability to reach out to a national network to help solve problems was a great asset.
Pros
Great people
A good place to work
Sr. Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 28, 2018
Atkins was a positive experience for me. The people that I worked with were great and the environment very easy to live with. Any employee should expect to work within a project team environment focused on producing plans and specifications to meet federal, state, and local requirements. All in all, I would recommend Atkins to anyone looking to work within the fields they employ.

Any potential employee should be aware of the size of Atkins. They are a global company employing 20,000+ employees across the world. As such, don't expect to be the superstar. There are many very intelligent people working there who have tons of experience in the field. It may be a better fit for those who don't care as much to shine in the spotlight and are satisfied with just being another employee.
Opportunity for growth
Senior Tolls Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2018
- Provide administrative oversight during the IDRIS loop system remediation project
- Support the Test Facility Construction Project with concept design and drafting support
- Provide CAD drafting support for new toll lane design
- Provide Database development forManaged Lanes to enable reporting of traffic volumes, traffic trends, and financial reports
- Generate, submit, and analyze weekly reports for the Katy Managed Lanes
- Provide Database development for toll equipment inventory control
- Provide Database development for contract management control and budgeting

Processed data using SQL, Microsoft Access and Excel . Constructed reports for the purpose of viewing trends using historical data. Worked closely with project managers and toll system maintenance managers in developing reports critical in monitoring toll system performance.
I like working at Atkins slot...I enjoy it n I had some good laughs!
Window Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 21, 2018
It was very unfortunate for me that I had to move to take care of my mother! But nonetheless I wish things could've happen differently n I was able to remain there working for Atkins. They alot of good....hard working guys there at Atkins! They help me to be comfortable in doing my job....n the older guys were willing to teach u in anyway they could to make ur job more easier n more effective!
Pros
U can either bring ur own lunch...or u could go buy u some lunch
Cons
They had very poor equipment for the employees to work with!
Good
Employee (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 11, 2018
Good employees. Large organization. Can be a little disorganized. But employees create a great culture and team environment. Large organization with small company feel in smaller locations.
Nuclear Engineering company with serious attitude towards work.
Procurement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richland, WASeptember 9, 2018
My overall review of Atkins Global is that the work pace is on par with other nuclear engineering companies around the globe. While working at Atkins Global, I never felt rushed to complete a project, as everyone worked at a slow but purposeful pace.
Good company in need of work
Project Manager Rail Systems (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 6, 2018
Company is in need of rail work based in the US Rail sector. Company should develop a better position in the Northeast of the US market.. Very nice working environment. Company is willing to spend money.
Not a good company to work for
Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 5, 2018
The upper management is hardly connected with the lower level people. Not much of career development planning. A lot of fake hopes and sometime they even lie.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Upper management is not honest
It's not Atkins anymore
Sr Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Orange, CASeptember 4, 2018
My experience is before SNC-Lavalin took over so you can't go by what I say.
I had the best manager in the entire company as well, so there's that, too.
Fast paced, stressful environment
Operator I (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 30, 2018
Answering calls from roadway travelers became very redundant ans stressful. management house rules see,s sort of unethical to some extent. Overall job is not difficult
Can be productive
Traffic Operations Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 14, 2018
There are 3 shifts 6 am to 2 pm, 2 pm to 10 pm and 10 pm to 6 am. I have worked 3rd shift in the past and now currently work the 1st shift. My personal opinion i like working 1st shift, 3rd shift is a slight more calmer only road work being performed but it is hard on me being that i have two little children to stay up late.
It's alright
General Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MO 65201July 4, 2018
great if you dont mind a small job to pay a small phone bill but not good if you want any living wage . The job can be stressful depending on what building you are at since some like to be cleaned in particular ways and if you dont do it just so you might be chewed out the next day. though it is a good job if you like to work independently.
Pros
independence
Cons
low pay for what you have to deal with
Good Work Environment
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richland, WAJuly 2, 2018
Enjoy working for Atkins. Work has been fulfilling and project have been challenging. Workload has been deteriorating and I layoffs have been happening over the last year.
Good intentions but poor communication to staff, no room to advance
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Richland, WAJune 20, 2018
Really disappointed in a mature company like this...I had way higher expectations that they failed miserably to meet...mind you the expectations were not out of line.
Pros
Good pay when there was work, laid off when there wasn't work
Cons
Brit mentality, poor management, poor internal communication
It could have been a good place to work
Senior Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2018
I originally started with Houston Offshore Engineering (HOE)... we were a family. Shortly after HOE sold out to Atkins, the layoffs started... and unfortunately for others not long after that ; Atkins sold out to SNC Lavalin.

It's the nature of the beast in the O&G Industry.
Atkins
Team Lead - Helpdesk Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2018
On a typical workday, a helpdesk tech could field between 20-75 incoming calls, making 20-30 follow up calls to provide support to employees. It was easy going environment, but sometimes stress occurred. The hardest part was being let go because my job was outsourced to the UK after being there 8 yrs.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Outsourced NA jobs to the UK and not offered an opportunity to move.
I like working at Atkins
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJune 11, 2018
Management is a little scatter brained and it doesn't seem like anyone really communicats but all in all your by yourself at evening and night and clean. Not to bad.
Pros
By yourself
Cons
Low pay/no hours
Atkins
Team Lead - Helpdesk Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2018
Atkins was a great place to work, however, business decisions drove jobs to the UK, thus laying off an entire department as well as other departments.
Pros
Long term employment
Cons
Outsourced positions best suited for local support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atkins. Our community is ready to answer.