Atlanta Humane Society Employee Reviews

Clean enviroment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 22, 2018
Friendly staff,honest workplace, day to day I learned new techniques. The most enjoyable moments I shared with this company is the animals being able to help them recover!
Working with animals is the perfect stress reliever
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 1, 2018
Being apart of the Atlanta Humane Society Community was always fun, the people were nice friendly and invigorating, the animals were friendly, shy and playful, made being their a calm and relaxing experience.
Great if you Love Animals
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMay 28, 2018
I was a volunteer, so take that into consideration. I've noticed that everyone there is firstly concerned with the well being of the animals, as they should be. I notice too that the employees and volunteers all seem to have good attitudes and are courteous to each other and the customers. If you don't mind cleaning up after animals, this is a good fit for any animal lover with a good attitude. If you do not wish to do the unpleasant jobs that animal care sometimes demands, this is not a good place for you.
Pros
you get to play with and look after animals
Cons
you might get popped on
Great company to work for if you love cats and dogs.
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 2, 2018
I enjoyed working with cats and dogs since age 10, the cultural changes I experienced from living in Nassau, Bahamas, Savannah, GA and Atlanta, GA were great. However, I have exhausted myself in this field as an veterinary assisted and would like to try the hotel industry.
Pros
Free Lunch and learn sessions.
Cons
Hard to get there or home with heavy traffic.
Poorly managed by then CEO
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 3, 2018
Over the course of my employment I realized that the long-term management of the organization was ineffective and intentionally cutthroat. My ability to effect modernization and internal cultural change was limited.

I felt that I was hired under false pretenses and looked forward to leaving at the earliest opportunity.

I assume that conditions improved dramatically following the retirement of the CEO and fundraising manager.
Atlanta Humane
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMarch 10, 2018
Terrible place to work. Management on all levels is corrupt. The director has no idea what is going on in her shelter and the managers get so wrapped up in drama and creating it and then not handling it. No way to grow unless you are liked by certain people in management. No compassion for their employees.
Pros
Hour Lunch Break
Cons
Everything else
a stressful paycheck
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2018
I only put up with the organization for a paycheck, but they don't respect your personal life or your work. also a strong sense of discrimination and favor, who doesn't pay enough. They strategize to get you out without firing, frequently.
Workplace at the Humane Society
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30318January 10, 2018
A typical day at this facility depends on what you sign up for on the day you're volunteering. There's a coaching session to teach the rules. Interactive activity with management is limited, but they are available for questions. There really isn't hard part except resisting the urge to adopt an animal. The most enjoyable part to me would be working with the animals. For example, walking the dogs in the day time.
Pros
free catered lunch sometimes
Cons
healthcare
Management Issues
Admissions Tech (Former Employee) –  Folkston, GADecember 22, 2017
While I loved working with animals I couldn't figure out the poor management. The managers do not communicate with each other, they do not provide any real training and the employees dont work together at all. They advertise that animals dont get euthanized unless its extreme medical or behavioral but thats not true at all. Animals would be put down for no real reason.
no room to grow over worked and under paid
Admissions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 21, 2017
Absolutely no room to advance what ever position you started at will be the same position you end at they are masters at completely over working and stressing staff for the least amount of pay management sets unreasonable limits on how many animals should be intaked and serviced yet don't lift a finger to help when staff is overwhelmed
Pros
You will get a great amount of vetenary care experience depending on the department you work in
Cons
There is no chance to advance pay is lousy you will be over worked at stressed all the time
Dog walker
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 24, 2017
I used to walked dogs and help with adoption and talk to guest if they needed help with anything if they wanted to see a dog or a cat or to hold a puppy or a cat
I got to play with dogs, enough said
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GASeptember 14, 2017
My job at the Humane Society was a volunteer position I got one summer with my friend. It was something to do but we loved it. Being able to say we did that is a really good conversation starter.
Adoption Counselor
Adoption Counselor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 4, 2017
I loved my job here, except for the fact that you could not refuse to participate in helping with euthanizations. It is something that has to be done sometimes, but it was hard for me. Overall this was a very good company to work for. I left for personal reasons.
Pros
Great Insurance Plans, Great People
Cons
Short breaks, Required to help with euthanizing dogs
No room for advancement within organization
Animal Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 14, 2017
While I appreciate this job for the learning opportunities and challenges it has given me, the culture amongst the operations team is very negative. The lack of organization, no opportunities for growth for lower level employees, and the favoritism shown toward applicants from the Michigan Humane Society (our CEO's former organization) leads to a disgruntled operations staff and high turnover.

Start showing appreciation to your employees; give deserving employees raises at their reviews; promote from within. Stop telling us how much we are "doing for the animals" when you show no appreciation toward us by actually helping develop our careers.
Great work, low pay
Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAApril 19, 2017
The mission of the organization is great, and you really feel like you're making an impact with the work. But - in the long run it just doesn't pay the bills. While paying higher than industry average and offering great benefits, it's a hard place to make a career out of. Things are constantly changing, hourly employee turn-over is high.
Pros
Animals, great benefits, casual work environment
Cons
Low pay, hard to advance, emotionally and physically draining
Very Unpleasant Working Environment
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2017
Would not recommend the AHS to anyone. While they perceive to be doing great things for animals, their bottom line is $$$. Wages are horrible if you are trying to make a living. A 27 cent raise is ridiculous after going above and beyond your call of duty. Management is a joke, the majority of the people working there are mean spirited and unfriendly. The volunteers however were great and keep that place going.
Pros
You see great pets for adoption
Cons
Unstable working environment, unfriendly staff, poor wages
life changing experience
Shelter Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta,GeorgiaFebruary 12, 2017
Every day at worked was exciting and motivating.
a typical day at work included:
Managing employees across three different departments, making sure an optimal level of customer service was being provided to our patrons. Also, solving any situation that required a manager to be involved providing solutions to many different problems that could arise from the daily operation of the shelter.
Loved saving animals lives
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 7, 2016
One of the top 10 shelters in the Nation. Very well run, and I was very pleases with the work atmosphere. Cages were cleaned every morning and cleaned as animals were adopted and throughout the day.
Pros
one hour lunch, full benefits, non kill shelter
Cons
Management did not treat every employee the same
Worst work experience of my life
Animal Admissions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 26, 2016
Certain coworkers were cruel and nasty, and reporting it got me nowhere. My direct supervisor would disparage me maliciously in front of my coworkers. I was never once commended for all of the hard work and genuine love I put into my work for the animals. Pay was terrible, and overall atmosphere in my department was tense. Also, you could not clock in even 1 minute past your scheduled clock in time or you would be considered late. Awful experience in every conceivable way other than getting to work with the animals.
Pros
Great Health Insurance
Cons
Everything else
Incredible Organization
Adoptions Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2016
AHS is a force to be reckoned with in the Animal Welfare world, and I am proud to be a part of the organization. They care deeply for the plight of homeless animals in and around the Southeast as well the local Atlanta community and each associate they employ.

Upper management is inspiring and well-organized, and the organization is growing and stretching itself, which is very nice to see.

The hours are difficult, and all work of this nature can be emotionally and physically draining, but the mission of AHS is a driving force for its associates.
Pros
Great benefits, one free adoption, great morale
Cons
Hours