Atlanta Metropolitan State College Employee Reviews

It was an ok place to work
Accountant 2 (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 19, 2018
I liked working there. I usually came in early., I liked being around the college kids. They were a different bred from when I went to college. You could usually attend any events they were having if you had time.
Pros
closed for two weejs at Christmas
Cons
low pay
Committed Instructors, Excellent Benefits
Assistant Professor of English, Speech (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2018
I stopped working there in 2006, so I can only speak about before then.

I was there from the start,. and then, we were more like a family, building the school, its reputation, and educating students who were considered underprepared for other colleges such as GSU or Georgia Tech. In other words, AMC was a "feeder" school. As time went on, the college's vision expanded.

A typical day involved teaching 3 or 4 classes. On some days, there were committee meetings, and of course, registration at various times of the year.

The hardest part: Correcting 70-90 papers a week (I taught Developmental English) before technology. The most enjoyable: Bonding with colleagues.

Management: Varied between highly political and very supportive.

What I learned: How to navigate a political landscape.
Pros
Comraderie, Student Appreciation for my efforts
Cons
Politics gets in the way of education
Quiet place to work
Admissions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 16, 2018
Typical work environment. My position requires a lot of data entry.
Low wages. High turnover in upper management. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with students.
Productive and fun place to work.
Adjunct Accounting Professor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 6, 2017
Health classes are organized for the faculty. We have a free access to the College gym. We enjoyed major holidays, paid leave, medical, dental and vision insurance offered through the State of GA.
Pros
Free gym access
Atlanta Metropolitan State College (AMSC)
Director of Upward Bound (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 22, 2017
AMSC has been a good place to work. It has an amazing President who works so hard for the college and wants to see it bloom to its full potential. Also, the campus is beautifully located close to downtown Atlanta and several other colleges. As an employee, one gets to know most of the other employees there since it is a small campus. I met several wonderful people there.
Pros
It is a close knit campus community.
Cons
There is little room for advancement.
Watch what you ask for
Maintenance & safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 7, 2017
Most people here just talk behind each others backs and smile to there faces. Lack of materials to do jobs correctly. Lack of communication from most departments.
Loved my job!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 25, 2017
I learned many skills from this administrative job. It put a standard for my knowledge in bigger corporations out side of Atlanta Metropolitan State College.
Exciting Place to WOrk
Adjunct Professor/Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 18, 2017
I love this job because I have the potential of cultivating young and old minds all while be a source of encouragement for Freshmen students and non-traditional students.
productive
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2017
very fast pace but a great experience. It was not easy trying to feed all the kids but it was fun. I had a great time. Everyone is friendly. You learn a lot about cooking.
fun
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 18, 2017
I worked here as a work student. Defiantly a place where you earn good money if you are in school. This was a good place to work. Staff nice and caring, I recommend this job.
Academic or Counseling Environment Preferred
Academic Advisor /Academic Coordinator/ (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 17, 2017
I love an fun energetic working environment. My passion is working with people and student. I have an extensive background in counseling and education. I like a workplace culture that allows me to be social and engage with different types of people.
Great Place
Chairman of the Programming Board (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 6, 2017
Atlanta Metropolitan State College is a great institution to attend school and work for different departments. Taking advantage of the opportunities will allow you to meet staff, students, and professors that will help you with any concerns.
Pros
Great place to advance in education and career.
Cons
You haven't visited yet.
Judge Free environment
Professional Tutor/ AEW facilitator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 1, 2016
Helping students understand what they do not understand. Lax environment. Creating the change of education. Everyone gets along and feels comfortable to openly communicate with each other.
Very strategic environment that challenges college students at entry-level office employment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2016
At the office of student activities, every challenge is met head on with professional skills. In an educational complex, it is impossible for an intern or work-study student to acquire necessary tools needed to flourish in this professional environment. Administrators and Executive officers ready to assist with any concerns or hurdles the professional arena may experience.
Pros
Planning, Organization, Professionalism, Team-Work
ASMC has a very good work environment; the administration and staff are always willing to help, and are very friendly.
Academic Professional (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 22, 2016
Academia offers a very flexible work schedule and it is rewarding to share my knowledge in biology as an academic professional. Mentoring and advising students with an interest in the biological sciences is rewarding.
Pros
retirement plan
Cons
salary
Recently became a four year college.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 23, 2016
Good place to work. Pay could be better. Good place to begin a teaching or administration career. They are now starting to require that full time faculty have a PhD.
Its a State College
Math Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2016
One of the fastest growing state owned College. Good for Applied mathematics (B.Sc) , pre-nursing, and pre-engineering students.
Pros
Cons
Flexible
Nice place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 30, 2016
Atlanta Metropolitan State College is building a robust curriculum for the students. In a few years it will be able to compete with other 4 year institutions.
Excellent work environment
Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 29, 2016
Excellent work environment. A junior college, now a 4-year college offering a Bachelor of Science degree in Natural Sciences
Pros
Opportunities for development
Cons
Faculty work overload
I loved my job
Office Manager, Federal TRIO Program (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 25, 2016
I worked at Atlanta Metropolitan College for 14 years. I worked for the Upward Bound program, which it was a Federal Funded program. For 12 of my years it was a perfect place, then we obtain new management, that was not using funds properly and our students were loosing out. At that time, I felt the need to leave, because nothing was changing and it was a possibility our funds were going to be taken away.