Atlanta Public Schools Employee Reviews

Each day very different but exciting and challenging.
Health and Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 10, 2018
I really enjoyed my job daily working with the students. The culture was collaborative. The school was a safe learning environment for everyone....
Educator/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 31, 2018
I enjoy working at my current position. It give you the opportunity to collaborate with your colleagues and learn from each other. It allows you to work with families and business partners to ensure you meet the students needs.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Management, coworkers, customers
Decent place
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 25, 2018
Position determines if you will enjoy the job. The higher you are in the organization the better. It okay as a first job if you can find a way to advance, but if you are stagnate it isn't worth the time.
Benefits
Cons
People
Educational Environment
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 21, 2018
The educational climate changes due to Charter School initiatives. A good place to work if you are motivated, driven and want to help children. Offers training and provides adequate vacation time.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Driven by educational initiatives
As advertised
CROSSING GUARD (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2018
Working at APS is cool, depending on your position. Do your work and go home. They were very understanding about family obligations. I would recommend working with them.
Good Job
Desktop Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2018
I do not have any complaints. It is what you make it. I would rather not discuss the topic. I do not have any complaints or comments on the Atlanta public school systems
Productive and Challenging working environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 13, 2018
This job was the typical day to day teaching job. It was a self-contained classroom employing centers, small and large group activities and collaboration among team members to achieve the best learning out comes for the students.
Pros
helpful and cordial working environment
Cons
travel time to and from work was too much
APS Review
IT BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 3, 2018
APS seems to be behind the times with employee development. It is very hard to matriculate if you don't have personal relationships within the organization the benefits are horrible. The best this about APS is the kids and the Superintendent.
Kudos to APS
HR Staffing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 18, 2018
I love working for this APS I just don’t believe there is much room for growth and encouragement for utilizing ones skills. Cross-Development opportunities would be ideal for those who’d like to grow in other areas such as leadership.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Growth limitations
Not for the faint of heart!
Educator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2018
In general, educators are underpaid and overworked, but in the grand scheme of things, APS compensates their people for the stress and workload they will endure. Depending on one's placement, being prepared to work long hours and withstand adverse adult behaviors, while also navigating how to adjust to the culture of the children and families that are served may be the most difficult part of transitioning to this system. Most people have good hearts and intentions, but unfortunately are not aware of what they don't know, and operate out of survival, rather than thrive from a place of abundance and support of others.
Children are amazing
PARAPROFESSIONAL (SPECIAL EDUCATION) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 6, 2018
The children you come across working at a school are bright and wil change your outlook on life. Teaching and administrative staff are very catty and drama-filled. No real family feeling among staff.
Cafeteria Monitor
Cafeteria Monitor/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 2, 2018
Being. cafeteria monitor in a elementary school you have to know how to work with children. When children are in lunch that's when they can do the most talking and see their friends in other classes you have to know how to work with children
Supporting young students is great
Manager, Maintenance & Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2018
I supported 23 schools in all Maintenance / Operations. All aspects of Maintenance, Housekeeping, Trade maintenance. Rewarding occupation for facility support for schools. Worth looking into as a field.
Productive and fun workplace
PARAPROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2018
Office Assistant, first contact to staff, parents, volunteers,visitors and students.
Process student registration, withdrawals, maintain files, dispurse daily mail and prepare for meetings.
Assisted with the afterschool program which was offered to parents.
Pros
Free lunch with training, no weekends and entire summer off
Cons
Pay rate and relocating
Great Environment
Paraprofessional (K-4/K5) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 1, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Atlanta Public School System. It was a very professional environment and I really enjoyed working with the children. Unfortunately, I had to relocate.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Very Productive
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 30, 2018
Great work environment, The Director is a people person who encourages staff involvement in the decision making process. The schedules are flexible and allow for family life.
An exciting and cultured organization
Front Desk Clerk /Forrest Hill Academy (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2018
APS is an exciting and cultured place to work. There is room for growth both professionally and personally. The superintendent is easy to talk to and values her staff from top to bottom.
APS Breed
Substitute Teacher, Long-term assignment (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 24, 2018
I was a supply teacher with APS. I was called for an assignment nearly daily. I even secured a long-time assignment. The other teachers were nice. But the classroom reminds me of babysitting rather than educating as a supply teacher.
Educational Experience
Parent Liaison (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 18, 2018
I worked as a Parent Liaison during my time with APS. I did it for the experience. The pay was not enough to comfortably live off of. For the work that was done and expected they should offer much more than what they offer. Sadly I was paid at the top of the pay scale because of my degrees and experience in the education field.
Pros
Insurance offered
Cons
Insurance is paid by employee, even with low pay.
A workplace where I can give back to the community and help the youth
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2018
The substitute teacher job was a good job and I had a set schedule and different schools I can work at. My supervisors where always nice and very helpful.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
Broke my hip in a car wreck and was fired due to not having enough work days while

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atlanta Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight