Atlanta Public Schools Employee Reviews

Stay away from this if you have a job stay there. You want after a year at Atlanta public schools.
Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta public schoolsFebruary 11, 2019
For a fleet manager at Atlanta public schools on last a year they have been through six in four years. The shop is horrendous. Stay away from this place. Only if you need a short time job. Very bad place for any professional. You
Pros
No pros
Cons
Everything from the director to the superintendent
Needs better leadership
Teacher Professional (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 11, 2019
The chain of command and leadership could be better. Everyone is not fit to lead. With poor leadership coming from the top down and dealing with challenging students daily with little or no parent support is very difficult.
College and Career Readiness
Algebra I and 2 Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2019
On a typical day at work students are for college and career readiness. Students are encouraged to participate in dual enrollment where they take college credit while attending high school.

The hardest part of my job is getting to work because of the traffic congestion.

The most enjoyable part of my job was when students volunteered on a daily basis to become peer tutors.
Attendance
School Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 28, 2019
Making sure attedance of all student was by a certain time, so parents would get a Robo call if their child was absent or late for school. Answering phone calls from parents in regards to their childs attendance
Great Place to work
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 21, 2019
Atlanta Public Schools is a great place to work. Its just as any other job it has its smooth days and its rough days. May have a few more than other depending on the area you are placed in. But so many great people to work with in APS.
no complaints.
site manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2019
i have no complaints about working for atlanta public schools. the pay is good, the benefits are good, you don't have managers and supervisors breathing down your neck, they trust you to do your job. If you cant do your job then you will have problems here.
Pros
pay, freedom
Cons
coworkers can be very negative, gossipy, and straight up haters.
Great Benefits and an opportunity to make a difference
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 8, 2019
I loved working as a high school teacher. The autonomy, benefits and paid vacations, maternity leave, colloborations, professional development and comradary in ADDITION to my students comprised the most rewarding career I could have been given coming straight out of college
Pros
Pay, Benefits, students
Cons
Poor Leadership
Depends on the school
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 4, 2019
I had many issues with violence at the school I worked. Students fought often, the security was lax, and the principal was hardly there. I imagine at different school it would be very different, but I was placed in an underserved school. While it was flexible in my hours, there was no consistency and often I taught classes on the fly, depending on their need.
Has benefits...
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 4, 2019
What I appreciated most about working for APS is that I usually could disconnect from my work once the work day ends. Additionally, the breaks were welcome! The pay is among the best for Georgia school systems.
Pros
Breaks, Pay
Cons
Very good organization to work for,
Office Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 12, 2018
Great organization, the culture and the people are a joy to work with. Everyone is friendly and very helpful. Everyone has your best interest at heart.
Pros
time off
Cons
kids can become challenging at times
Working for Atlanta Public Schools was very pleasant.
School Clerk I (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 10, 2018
A typical day of work was filled with assisting parents, students and teachers.

The hardest part of my job was not having enough help in the main office between 1 pm and 3 pm.

My co-workers were the best part of the job.
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 8, 2018
Fair salary, however no room for advancement unless you know someone with connections. The promotions are given to specific people who are friends or colleagues of upper management position.
Pros
Flexibility and pay
Cons
Too much unethical behavior
it was challenging place to work
Substitute Special Education Teacher Long Term (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30303December 4, 2018
the atmosphere was not friendly, it was cut throught. I foundly that peers were not friendly and helpful to new staff. Everyone had to fend for themselves.
Good place to work for beginning IT career
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GANovember 30, 2018
Typical day of work consisted of receiving, organizing, maintaining, and shipping technology such as computers, tablets, monitors, routers, switches, and other devices. The hardest part was there wasn't enough machinery available to move large items. The people there were pretty nice.
Provides a challenging and fulfilling career
Band Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 28, 2018
I currently teach band at six different schools. My job involves teaching students to play instruments in a supportive, productive and positive environment.
I have learned to adapt to change, be flexible, and work outside the box
I work with 4th and 5th grade students and classroom management is key to being successful
The workplace culture is very supportive and encouraging
The hardest part of the job is not being able to provide all students with instruments
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping students succeed
School system great place for work
Instructional Para-Educator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2018
I work at an Alternative School due to my Juvenile Justice background, Management look down on staff and have ego problems, don't like to listena dn take advise from lower staff aboard, the hardest part about the job is feeling like you have no support. The most enjoyable part is serving the youth within the state of georgia and within the school system.
Pros
Helping students and youth
Cons
Dealing with attitudes everday
Each day very different but exciting and challenging.
Health and Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 10, 2018
I really enjoyed my job daily working with the students. The culture was collaborative. The school was a safe learning environment for everyone....
Educator/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 31, 2018
I enjoy working at my current position. It give you the opportunity to collaborate with your colleagues and learn from each other. It allows you to work with families and business partners to ensure you meet the students needs.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Management, coworkers, customers
Decent place
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 25, 2018
Position determines if you will enjoy the job. The higher you are in the organization the better. It okay as a first job if you can find a way to advance, but if you are stagnate it isn't worth the time.
Benefits
Cons
People
Educational Environment
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 21, 2018
The educational climate changes due to Charter School initiatives. A good place to work if you are motivated, driven and want to help children. Offers training and provides adequate vacation time.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Driven by educational initiatives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atlanta Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight