Atlanta Public Schools
69Average

Atlanta Public Schools Employee Reviews

United States451 reviews
I enjoyed my students. The work environment was okay but administration had its time. I formed special bonds with other teachers at my school. Moving on to another school district.
This is a job the you can retire with, it’s easy and comfortable. The people are very friendly. The children are off the chain and will have to be structured on the bus.
In order to SURVIVE at this job you would have to get FIELD TRIPS which is like pulling teeth with APS the management is REALLY UNORGANIZED... YOU have to be responsible when it comes down to signing any documents, because they lose your DOCUMENTS. YOU WON'T come close to making $17 hourly.iyou're
Working with educators from different places and cultures being used to teach and educate our children using technique of teaching and technology.
I have not worked in this district for over 5 years. At the time that I left, the district was making great strides with incorporating technology. Campus culture was not the strongest, but the bonds on my grade level team were great.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
APS great place to work, great support. Benefits are great and to be out every summer is a plus. I recommend APS not just for teachers but they have other great positions.
APS is a great place to work. I feel supported and appreciated as a staff member at my elementary school. My instructional leader is professional, affirming, and is a great mentor to pattern one self by.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with families, administrators and staff. I enjoyed teaching and empowering PARENTS to be an active part in the education of their child. However, the internal politics on a daily basis were a nightmare! 😒
The county pays little to nothing for subs. It was very hard to go into the schools daily knowing you would be met with such great behavioral challenges and not see the reward for it. Would not recommend.
It's a typical educational environment with its ups and downs. You teach kids. You manage grades, work with staff and administration. I enjoy teaching the children.
Pros
The Children
I enjoy training staff at different schools on when and how to use emergency medications. Return-Demonstrations. When Calling 9-1-1, the info that needs to be given.
I love my job at Atlanta Public Schools. I love the interaction with visitors, parents, children & personnel. I feel that I make everyone that enters our doors feel welcome & they know I am willing to offer assistance.
The kids are not the focus. Administrators more focused on managing adults than kids. Micromanagers, administrators are so afraid about the media than they are quality instruction for the kids.
Students were the most disrespectful but I was still trusting I could handle it but they needed more love at home. Very sad that happens in some schools.
APS pays better than most districts--all things being equal. However, a teacher's job takes a back seat to district initiatives--meaning a teacher's job is not necessarily secure as there is more movement in sites than other districts. In addition, teaching in an urban environment can be more challenging than suburban districts. The professional environment/culture tends to be more formal--last name only. None of this is negative--it just is what it is.
This is the worst company and place to work in the state of Georgia.Management will not stand up for you. They will fire you for any thing .do not apply to this company.
Pros
No Pros at the company.
Cons
They treat you like s---throw you away.
The hardest part of my day is dealing with disrespectful students and they are not given any consequences. APS promotes a culture of ensuring that students and teacher work at their best level to accomplish the goals of the district.
Your job is what you make of it it's not hard you meet people everyday with kids everyday and it's a good work environment if that's your lifestyle of employment
I enjoyed the professional culture. They provided the necessary tools to perform at a high level. Organized with an interest for success. The management team took great interest in customer service.
The PTA is very functioning. Excellent parental support, the administration team are very supportive for teachers and all staff in achieving goals. Excellent students that are always ready to learn!
These were very formidable 23 years when I learned and also was able to apply my skills within the special education realm. The professionals that I worked with were superb!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atlanta Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight