Atlanta Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive and gratify
Subsitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 17, 2018
My typical day of work was very interesting working with young adults. The workplace culture was indeed a pleasure. This is what I learned working there that each student was learning differently, The students where low income student coming from poor neighbor hoods. I was able to understand them simply because I came from the projects In Queens NY. They really gave me respect because of this. My job was different than other teachers, because, this was the hardest part of the job, that I was at one time on their level. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching my students learn.

Working with students was always a fun place, they make you cry and laugh.
Pros
Family Day
Cons
Students health care
Outstanding Place to work
MEDIA SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 29, 2018
Wonderful learning and growth opportunities!! APS is filled with opportunities to learn the newest things. It is a great place to work and grow in your chosen field.
Pros
Great opportunities for learning
Atlanta Public Schools is the main school system for the City of Atlanta.
TEACHER (ENGLISH/LITERATURE) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 27, 2018
Atlanta Public Schools is the main school system for the City of Atlanta. The district is one of the higher paying (if not the highest) school districts in the metro area and surrounding metro suburban areas.
Better salary pay in the Metro area
Assistive Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 27, 2018
The culture of Atlanta Public Schools is improving, with better attention to instructional staff and support employees. Attention to student graduation success is evident.
Depressing Place to Work
Instructional Staff (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2018
Working for APS was very stressful and depressing. Principals have a culture of intimidating and bullying teachers using teacher observations. One particular principal randomly chooses a teacher or two every year to bully and humiliate. I truly enjoyed the students but the work environment made it very difficult to continue the enjoyment. If APS get rid of it's bad basket of principals I think teachers and other staff would enjoy the job much more.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Stressful
Atlanta Public Schools
IT Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 22, 2018
Atlanta Public Schools has a large footprint in the community that depends on there leadership. Therefore, APS must continue to excel in leadership, community relation and diversity.
Pros
Greatest Technology, great work life balance
Cons
Ever changing leadership, no employee acknowledgement programs
Training
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 17, 2018
I enjoy Atlanta because they provide educators excellent professional development courses. I gathered a wealth of knowledge teaching in the district.
Competitive Work Environment
Special Education Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 14, 2018
Great school system to grow your career. Must be hard working and employ management skills. Learned varies skills that have allowed me to grow into an effective leader.
Interesting and Loveable
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2018
I loved working with the various backgrounds of students. I learned that they were eager to learn no matter what economical background they were from. Atlanta Public Schools has a variety of trainings available for you to do your job effectively. It offers students a wide range of opportunities to be successful in the future. The overall work culture was demanding like most systems. The most enjoyable part was being in the presence of the students.
Pros
professional development, student scholarship availability
Cons
discipline, no consistency among all schools
Its a great place to work at
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 9, 2018
Each day you will learn something new, meet interesting people and you will never have a dull moment. Management is great and supportive. The workplace culture is great, well mixed. The hardest part of the job is there is not enough time in a day to teach the children. The most enjoyable part of the job is educating the children.
great
Interim Registrar (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 6, 2018
A great place to work, a great deal of opportunity to grow with the school system. The opportunity to help students to graduate and make a future for themselves.
Unorganized and Difficult to work with
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 25, 2018
My school is a good school but administration refuses to handle behavior issues. The school is judged on how many referrals go through, so there is a push back on writing students up. Information is not communicated clearly from the central office and it is difficult to get anyone to respond to a message or an email.
Fast Paced
Assistant Director of Budget (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 25, 2018
The typical day is fast- paced, calls from schools and department head with budget questions. Have not learned much being at APS. The management is not good and does not let employee step outside the box. The culture is stressful. The hardest part is not being able to use your knowledge, the most enjoyable part of the job is helping the students.
Pros
Spring Break
Cons
Very fast paced
lack of good management
State Reporting Liasion (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 25, 2018
bad management in all departments i would suggest a restructure. I enjoy a few of my co-workers however most do not have a good work ethic and this makes it hard to develop as a team in the department.
Pros
pay
Cons
lack of management
Fun workplace. Great people
Paraprofessional 2nd grade (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 24, 2018
I love kids and working with them. I would love another opportunity to help out in the school system. This would be a honor and can help change the life of today’s youth.
School system
Teacher/ Substitute (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 22, 2018
The school system is very good place to work if you love help kid's and kmow that you inpack on other people life.The hardest part is trying to help someone that don't want your help.
Pros
The inpack on the kid's life.
Cons
Not being able to help people
Working at APS
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 20, 2018
There is no opportunity for growth. Everything is last minute and unorganized.

Support staff (Secretarial and clerical) does not work together.

The hardest part of the job is working hard and not appreciated.

Coworkers do not stick together. If you conform to the system, you are promoted. If you speak up, you are black ball in the system.

Internal management problems. Ego.

High turnover.
Pros
Good pay and hours. No working weekends
Cons
The culture, poor management and no opportunity for growth. Unprofessional. Horrible culture
Depends on what side of Atlanta you work in ...
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 16, 2018
I happen to work on the North side of Atlanta, where we have "better" conditions. My particular school is not on an improvement list. Having said that, parents on the more affluent side of town still don't parent their children (misbehavior, entitlement, inability to perform simple tasks because everything is done for them). We are expected to go above and beyond for the more affluent parents. Administration yields to whatever the affluent parents want, and tolerates their every tantrum and ridiculous request. We are asked to come to meetings with parents after school (5:00 pm) for no pay, and we are expected to keep their children happy at school regardless of what that means for instruction. Teachers don't hold the value they used to. If I say your child did something I am "out to get" your child, not concerned about their behavior. Affluent parents think because they have money, their child is perfect and any indication against this is a lie by the teacher.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Parents, entitled kids, no support from admin.
Far from where I live.
French Teacher (Current Employee) –  ATLMarch 1, 2018
No comments. Nothing to say, but it's making me put something. I would say something, but I have nothing to say. Blah, blah, blah, blah. Still noy at 150 char yet.
Must be on time to get the children to school
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 27, 2018
Driving the school bus was ok you have a lot of children to look after and make sure they are safe as well as yourself transporting the children to and from school and field trips you must always be careful.
Pros
off work when the kids are out of school
Cons
sometimes you may not get extra work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atlanta Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight