Atlanta Public Schools Employee Reviews

Children are amazing
PARAPROFESSIONAL (SPECIAL EDUCATION) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 6, 2018
The children you come across working at a school are bright and wil change your outlook on life. Teaching and administrative staff are very catty and drama-filled. No real family feeling among staff.
Cafeteria Monitor
Cafeteria Monitor/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 2, 2018
Being. cafeteria monitor in a elementary school you have to know how to work with children. When children are in lunch that's when they can do the most talking and see their friends in other classes you have to know how to work with children
Supporting young students is great
Manager, Maintenance & Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2018
I supported 23 schools in all Maintenance / Operations. All aspects of Maintenance, Housekeeping, Trade maintenance. Rewarding occupation for facility support for schools. Worth looking into as a field.
Productive and fun workplace
PARAPROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 7, 2018
Office Assistant, first contact to staff, parents, volunteers,visitors and students.
Process student registration, withdrawals, maintain files, dispurse daily mail and prepare for meetings.
Assisted with the afterschool program which was offered to parents.
Pros
Free lunch with training, no weekends and entire summer off
Cons
Pay rate and relocating
Great Environment
Paraprofessional (K-4/K5) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 1, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Atlanta Public School System. It was a very professional environment and I really enjoyed working with the children. Unfortunately, I had to relocate.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Very Productive
Education Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 30, 2018
Great work environment, The Director is a people person who encourages staff involvement in the decision making process. The schedules are flexible and allow for family life.
An exciting and cultured organization
Front Desk Clerk /Forrest Hill Academy (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2018
APS is an exciting and cultured place to work. There is room for growth both professionally and personally. The superintendent is easy to talk to and values her staff from top to bottom.
APS Breed
Substitute Teacher, Long-term assignment (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 24, 2018
I was a supply teacher with APS. I was called for an assignment nearly daily. I even secured a long-time assignment. The other teachers were nice. But the classroom reminds me of babysitting rather than educating as a supply teacher.
Educational Experience
Parent Liaison (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 18, 2018
I worked as a Parent Liaison during my time with APS. I did it for the experience. The pay was not enough to comfortably live off of. For the work that was done and expected they should offer much more than what they offer. Sadly I was paid at the top of the pay scale because of my degrees and experience in the education field.
Pros
Insurance offered
Cons
Insurance is paid by employee, even with low pay.
A workplace where I can give back to the community and help the youth
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2018
The substitute teacher job was a good job and I had a set schedule and different schools I can work at. My supervisors where always nice and very helpful.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
Broke my hip in a car wreck and was fired due to not having enough work days while
Opportunity
EDUCATOR, TRAINER, COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2018
This was an opportunity as I recently moved to the city and wanted to work in the educational field. I enjoyed working as a full-time building substitute.
Productive place to work.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
APS is a productive place to work. There are different experiences depending on where you are posted. I have learnt alot to help improve my craft through year round professional development and trainings.
Great Place to Work
School Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 3, 2018
You get paid on off days. If you have school age children, this job is flexible enough for you. You can advance if you want to. It comes with benefits such as dental insurance, eye insurance, health insurance, life insurance, and cancer insurance.
Atlanta public school is a safe and security place to work
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Facility/July 2, 2018
Atlanta public school is a nice environment to work I work around children they keep me busy. I do one hour lunch, You always have something to do in school.
Cons
Most of the school were great workplaces
Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 29, 2018
Working for Atlanta Public schools was a very positive experience. The culture (workplace) was for the most part positive. The people that I worked with were very professional. The student were hard working and ready to succeed. During my time at APS I worked in the classroom as a teacher and in several schools as an Admin. I also was the Director of an evening school program for adult education. I learned to work with all levels of students and was able to help them move forward.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the demands put on teachers by the state. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with students.
I had the benefit of working with good leaders and co-workers who had the students best interest at heart.
Every year positions are being abolished
Administrative Assistant/ Secretary (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 28, 2018
They need principles that know effective leadership. Not intimidation and bully tactics when working with other adults. The culture and climate in some of the schools need to be addressed
It takes a special person to do this job and I consider myself to be one of those people
Bus Driver (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 28, 2018
Jude place to work the kids always come first.this job has help me to realize that life is so much more then working to get a paycheck, it’s loving and caring for people who you don’t even know.
Pros
The time gives you more Opportunities to handle business during the day
Cons
Not every bus has air conditioning nor every route long enough
A stressful environment where administration was not supportive of the staff and faculty.
PE Teacher, Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2018
It was a horrible environment and it never swayed in the direction of a healthy culture for the staff and faculty. There was incompetence and mismanagement in the administration and no addressing of student negative behavior. The hardest part of the job was not having support and The most enjoyable part was interacting with those students who desired to learn.
Pros
title one, free lunch. fresh fruit and vegetable program.
Cons
Parents taking over, administration weak, and no tutorial for the students.
stressful environment; poor management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 19, 2018
difficult population to teach, students have social and emotional problems that aren't adequately met in public schools; management was unorganized, knee-jerk response to problems
Horrible place to work
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 19, 2018
The pay is very low, it is a cut-throat environment, and the only people advanced are ones who know someone in upper management. Negative place to work.
Pros
Benefits, no overtime
Cons
Low pay, no positive feedback EVER

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atlanta Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight