Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group Employee Reviews

ABMG is a great place to work but no time is given to create relationships and business.
Loan Officer/Licensed Mortgage Broker (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 15, 2019
When I was hired I was told I would have support to be in two realtor offices in Polk county to help me establish realtor relationships. They decided not to continue that program. I started working ti ABMG in August and didnt go to training until October. I closed loans but none in February which is why they dismissed me...even though I had 5 approvals for customers ready to pick a home and close in March.
Look away
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 6, 2019
This company is extremely biased and discriminate towards minorities. It is simply all about who you know here. They will hire 20 people and then fire 30 with absolutely no remorse at all. Atlantic Bay Mortgage is highly unorganized and constantly changes their game plan! It is highly likely that you will be hired and fired within the same week due to a change in management/ideas etc. The only perk of working here is that most positions are full time with benefits unlike some companies. Although with the pay you likely won't be able to afford the insurance anyways. If you are fine with your peers being promoted as a favorite over you as a hard worker go ahead and apply! If you don't mind working in an environment that is similar to high school-- go for it! If you don't mind people treating you different simply because you are a minority, older, overweight etc. Go for it!
Pros
Most positions are full time, Nice Location
Cons
Biased, Negative atmosphere
I should have paid attention to the reviews when I took the job
Managements pet peeve for now (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 6, 2019
I ignored the reviews when I accepted employment with ABMG. Big mistake. Now I am right there where many of the reviews landed. Poor management, cliquish, like the high school cheerleading squad and they make it very clear who is "in the club" and who isnt. 10 days PTO per year and you get to decide if you use those for vacation OR sick time. Either way, be prepared to be raked over the coals when you get back from taking any time off. Management cant get their story straight.
You cant get the same answer from any two people but it is your fault either way anyway. They dont mind making up things, either when they want you gone. I have heard more than one manager on more than one occasion cussing about another employee's error and being completely unprofessional for all to hear. Keep it to yourselves. Letting everyone hear it also lets everyone know that you do the same thing to them when they are not around. The 401k match is a joke, but they have a representative come in and say it is the best that he knows of. He didnt know a lot! The medical insurance is so astronomically expensive it is unaffordable for a family. Now they are working on figuring out any way and every way to omit bonuses from pay structure. There isn't any amount of pay in this world that is worth this stress and I regret my experience with this company. I'll be gone as soon as possible. Hey management! It's cute the way you all give yourselves new titles so you can have raises while the rest of the company gets promoted based on club status or not at all! The COLA raises annually are nothing compared
  more... to merit reviews and raises that many companies reward employees with.. ABMG doesnt believe in those. They dont want their employees focusing on anything but the feedback from their management team at the time of the review. They believe that if you know there isnt going to be a chance at a raise that you will focus more on what you are being told in the review, and the reviews aren't positive meetings. Lack of advancement is not a concern to management though. There's always a new title just around the corner for them to justify that hefty pay raise and celebratory meeting announcement. Go, YOU!  less
Pros
Superficially fun, for a while
Cons
managememt, unaffordable benefits, nepotism, cliquish
Not what I thought it would be
Finance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 12, 2018
Working for this company felt like high school. Don't trust anyone in this company to have your back on any issue you may have. They act like they care, but don't and then talk about you behind your back. My dying father who came to say goodbye wasn't a good enough reason to take time off. If you have a problem with one of their favorites, they make you hate life. Look else where, no amount of money is worth the drama this place deems appropriate.
Pros
Free vending machine, promotion potential
Cons
Fake people, favoritism
Enjoyable place to work
Manager - Learning & Development (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 18, 2018
Promotes a great employee culture and work and life balance. End of month can be stressful. people that have been there have great knowledge of industry.
Pros
considerate
Productive fun workplace
QC Post Closing Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 15, 2018
Fun employer. Easy to talk to management. They seemed to care about employees. Flexible schedule to work around busy personal life. Generous in monthly bonus
Pros
Work from home
Lack of Diversity
SENIOR MORTGAGE PROCESSOR (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 20, 2018
I enjoy working for Atlantic Bay however there is very little opportunity for growth especially among minorities. Atlantic Bay does a lot of promoting to work within the organization, but I feel that is attributed largely because of nepotism, not necessarily based on actual skill but who you know or are related to within the organization. Within the entire operations group there is only on manager of ethnic decent.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Nepotism, click-ish, growth
Not there long enough to give a good review.
Mortgage Closer/Funder (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 16, 2018
This company was nice to work for but they did a lot more entertainment of the employees than they did work. There was a lot of talk about bringing in more work and how busy we were going to be, but then within a month of this information coming out - we were laid off. I was hoping to be at this company for a long time - but was laid off within 6 months of being there. There was a video meeting every morning with the VA office and there was not enough room for everyone to sit in the room. They went over information that was not relevant to everyone, kind of a waste of time.
Pros
Always had breakfast or lunch available. Popcorn machine - contests
Cons
They didn't care that you may have plans to leave early, or scheduled to leave early, If they needed a file done you had to stay to get it done, They used two systems that didn't communicate to each other. Very difficult to get work done quicly.
Stressfull
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 11, 2018
Not worth your time due to lack of progression and the amount of layoffs the CEO considers normal. Join this company if you love coming to work with a fake smile.
Pros
Free vending machine items
Cons
culture is stressful and management wants to claw their way to the top.
Excellent treatment of employees but its still the mortgage industry
Title Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 19, 2018
Atlantic Bay overall is an amazing and wonderful company to work for where the CEO and upper management try to be very involved in the day to day life and keep as much people happy as they can. They really do care about the work/life balance and try to make it so everyone leaves the office at 5:30 each day and has a stress free weekend,

A typical day has you plugging away at your desk but they break it up every so often with lunch being brought in or some office games with prizes. You really get a sense of work hard and play hard here.

However the one downside I've come to realize is that is still the mortgage industry and old habits die hard. I had an unfortunate experience that doesn't really represent the whole company but it highlights that there are bad apples that pop up. Most importantly I had a manager very rooted in the "old" ways so I found myself stuck in a new position with a person that was hard to impress and get on their good side. Again this doesn't reflect AMBG as a whole but someone would need to watch out where you step when going up the ladder.

One minor gripe I found was in the healthcare... The PPO was fairly good and used a strong network of doctors and discounts but it was VERY expensive, even for single payer. The other option was to go it yourself with an HSA but then that wonderful network shrinks and the discounts were laughable.
Pros
Casual, Friendly, Free Lunches Sometimes
Cons
Healthcare
Not very happy with the company right now
Remote Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 2, 2018
They moved me to a TN team that had 15 mortgage bankers and 7 of them quit and left the company. Now I sit there all day with nothing to do. When I help other underwriters do their files, it gives them bonus income but I'm not making any bonus income because I have no loans.
Pros
they do a lot for the community
Cons
don't like their bonus program
cool
Telephone Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 19, 2017
Great place to work and i just love t the team work, You grow as the company grow the pay and commission was awesome, the department that i was apart off was shut down if not i would still be there
Dead End Job
IT Customer Service Level 3 (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 11, 2017
Garbage, dead end, blind leading the blind, spare yourself the misery of being another victim of their terrible business practices and don't think you will get a fair opportunity
Low growth potential and uncompetitive salaries
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 16, 2017
There is a mixture of pleasant and unpleasant management with inconsistent policies. Favoritism is prominent and if you're not a "favorite" then job growth is very unlikely. Great work culture and great benefits. Great place to work if you aren't looking for career growth.
Great Company
Loan Officer Assistant and Processor (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCNovember 16, 2017
Loved my job and boss. Only left because it was temporarily. The company needs better processors and better management for the people who do not complete their jobs. Other then that great company with great benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Better employers
na
Compliance Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 8, 2017
The employees are great and are fun to be around. Management is terrible and not knowledgeable of all programs. Training is terrible therefore you have to learn as you go but are accountable for any mistakes.
Avoid if Possible
Processor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 6, 2017
The culture & perks are great! But, there is favoritism between management and HR. You'll be better off documenting everything and going to the EEOC. They can be very manipulative and unprofessional. Their "culture" desensitizes you from appropriate office behavior/practices. There is no organization or accountability unless it is beneficial to those in management and you will be thrown under the bus by the person you thought was their to help you. Honestly, I don't think the main office cares for people of color, but will hire them in fear of being discriminatory against other races.
Pros
Laid back with perks
Cons
Poor management and professionalism, favoritism and unfavorable health benefits
It was ok not all the "hype" made out to be
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 29, 2017
Workplace culture- they are big on trying to make you feel like it's one big happy family. Management does care to an extent- but sales rules the world. Ops management doesn't speak to sales management, you are told that you need to have certain conversations that could be put you as a processor in a position that is awkward.
Pros
Free Lunches at times, not micro managed
Cons
health insurance, time off, and bonus
Best Company I have ever worked for!
Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 14, 2017
I am currently employed at Atlantic Bay and I love the job. The management here wants nothing more than for you to be successful at your job. They have a lot of company functions and an entire committee dedicated to making sure that the employees are happy and have fun while at work.

They truly do care about work life balance and always offer assistance so that employees do not feel like they need to work overtime.

I have been employed with them for a little over 2 years and I am a team mate for life!
A Chance
Junior Mortgage Closer (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 12, 2017
I never worked in the Mortgage industry and Atlantic Bay gave me that chance! I have learned so much and made some great friends. There is always a chance to move around and learn different aspects of the company and industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

4.0InHerSight Score

4.1Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group Reviews by Location