Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not there long enough to give a good review.
Mortgage Closer/Funder (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 16, 2018
This company was nice to work for but they did a lot more entertainment of the employees than they did work. There was a lot of talk about bringing in more work and how busy we were going to be, but then within a month of this information coming out - we were laid off. I was hoping to be at this company for a long time - but was laid off within 6 months of being there. There was a video meeting every morning with the VA office and there was not enough room for everyone to sit in the room. They went over information that was not relevant to everyone, kind of a waste of time.
Pros
Always had breakfast or lunch available. Popcorn machine - contests
Cons
They didn't care that you may have plans to leave early, or scheduled to leave early, If they needed a file done you had to stay to get it done, They used two systems that didn't communicate to each other. Very difficult to get work done quicly.
Stressfull
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 11, 2018
Not worth your time due to lack of progression and the amount of layoffs the CEO considers normal. Join this company if you love coming to work with a fake smile.
Pros
Free vending machine items
Cons
culture is stressful and management wants to claw their way to the top.
Excellent treatment of employees but its still the mortgage industry
Title Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 19, 2018
Atlantic Bay overall is an amazing and wonderful company to work for where the CEO and upper management try to be very involved in the day to day life and keep as much people happy as they can. They really do care about the work/life balance and try to make it so everyone leaves the office at 5:30 each day and has a stress free weekend,

A typical day has you plugging away at your desk but they break it up every so often with lunch being brought in or some office games with prizes. You really get a sense of work hard and play hard here.

However the one downside I've come to realize is that is still the mortgage industry and old habits die hard. I had an unfortunate experience that doesn't really represent the whole company but it highlights that there are bad apples that pop up. Most importantly I had a manager very rooted in the "old" ways so I found myself stuck in a new position with a person that was hard to impress and get on their good side. Again this doesn't reflect AMBG as a whole but someone would need to watch out where you step when going up the ladder.

One minor gripe I found was in the healthcare... The PPO was fairly good and used a strong network of doctors and discounts but it was VERY expensive, even for single payer. The other option was to go it yourself with an HSA but then that wonderful network shrinks and the discounts were laughable.
Pros
Casual, Friendly, Free Lunches Sometimes
Cons
Healthcare
Not very happy with the company right now
Remote Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 2, 2018
They moved me to a TN team that had 15 mortgage bankers and 7 of them quit and left the company. Now I sit there all day with nothing to do. When I help other underwriters do their files, it gives them bonus income but I'm not making any bonus income because I have no loans.
Pros
they do a lot for the community
Cons
don't like their bonus program
cool
Telephone Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 19, 2017
Great place to work and i just love t the team work, You grow as the company grow the pay and commission was awesome, the department that i was apart off was shut down if not i would still be there
Dead End Job
IT Customer Service Level 3 (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 11, 2017
Garbage, dead end, blind leading the blind, spare yourself the misery of being another victim of their terrible business practices and don't think you will get a fair opportunity
Low growth potential and uncompetitive salaries
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 16, 2017
There is a mixture of pleasant and unpleasant management with inconsistent policies. Favoritism is prominent and if you're not a "favorite" then job growth is very unlikely. Great work culture and great benefits. Great place to work if you aren't looking for career growth.
Great Company
Loan Officer Assistant and Processor (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCNovember 16, 2017
Loved my job and boss. Only left because it was temporarily. The company needs better processors and better management for the people who do not complete their jobs. Other then that great company with great benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Better employers
na
Compliance Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 8, 2017
The employees are great and are fun to be around. Management is terrible and not knowledgeable of all programs. Training is terrible therefore you have to learn as you go but are accountable for any mistakes.
Avoid if Possible
Processor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 6, 2017
The culture & perks are great! But, there is favoritism between management and HR. You'll be better off documenting everything and going to the EEOC. They can be very manipulative and unprofessional. Their "culture" desensitizes you from appropriate office behavior/practices. There is no organization or accountability unless it is beneficial to those in management and you will be thrown under the bus by the person you thought was their to help you. Honestly, I don't think the main office cares for people of color, but will hire them in fear of being discriminatory against other races.
Pros
Laid back with perks
Cons
Poor management and professionalism, favoritism and unfavorable health benefits
It was ok not all the "hype" made out to be
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 29, 2017
Workplace culture- they are big on trying to make you feel like it's one big happy family. Management does care to an extent- but sales rules the world. Ops management doesn't speak to sales management, you are told that you need to have certain conversations that could be put you as a processor in a position that is awkward.
Pros
Free Lunches at times, not micro managed
Cons
health insurance, time off, and bonus
Best Company I have ever worked for!
Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 14, 2017
I am currently employed at Atlantic Bay and I love the job. The management here wants nothing more than for you to be successful at your job. They have a lot of company functions and an entire committee dedicated to making sure that the employees are happy and have fun while at work.

They truly do care about work life balance and always offer assistance so that employees do not feel like they need to work overtime.

I have been employed with them for a little over 2 years and I am a team mate for life!
A Chance
Junior Mortgage Closer (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJune 12, 2017
I never worked in the Mortgage industry and Atlantic Bay gave me that chance! I have learned so much and made some great friends. There is always a chance to move around and learn different aspects of the company and industry.
Like working at High School - very clicky
Title Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 4, 2017
Benefits great. If you have an issue and go to management /HR watch out! They will make working there a living nightmare. Management has their favorites.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Management has their "pets" like being in middle school
Keep track of everything
Processor I (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 3, 2017
The company will appear to be GREAT!, at first. Then afterwards you will realize management and Human Resources are a manipulating circle of friends and their laid back culture is an excuse for unprofessionalism. Pay was great for this area and the benefits were decent, but your value as an employee is insignificant unless you are in a position that makes them money
Pros
Compensation and perks
Cons
Unprofessional management
gossip column
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 10, 2017
did not like it. over worked and under paid. must be part on the in crowd to survive. if you take a vacation, you better be prepared to come back to craziness. manangments way of preparing for your vacation is to have some help if somthing comes up while you are out.
Community Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 3, 2017
Great company culture but too many changes with upper management and company restructure. Although I enjoyed working there, there was a lack of communication from higher up managers, causing mid-level managers to trickle down wrong information to team members.
Not what they make themselves out to be
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 2, 2017
All the management are friends in and outside of the office. They make up unrealistic expectations as they go to set you up to fail. They harass you, provide false information in order to ver rid of you. When you first start they will make it sound like the greatest company you will ever work for, don't be fooled! I have never worked with people that lie and harass like they did to me!
Amazing Company
Senior Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 4, 2017
Great leadership and team atmosphere.
I gained valuable knowledge working at Atlantic Bay.

There is room for advancement.
Unprofessional at best
Remote underwriter (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 28, 2016
Very disappointing experience. The company also posts false positive ratings and pays some to respond to the negative ones. Take my advice, if you are looking to work in operations, this is not a healthy place rather extremely hostile. The poor leadership is the root of dysfunction. I read the past posts where people proclaim that only the friends of the current management are promoted and even recently the management in place has promoted themselves. They come to work to serve themselves and not to serve the team. I have never worked for a group of unprofessional people. I have spoken to previous employees after they left and all have come to a conclusion that this company is not fond of people of color. If you are looking for the truth, Scroll past the posts that are labeled "great place to work" as those are disingenuous
Pros
Cons
Culture and leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atlantic Bay Mortgage Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

5.0InHerSight Score

5.0Personal Development

5.0Career Opportunities

5.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight