Atria Senior Living Employee Reviews

Top down micro managing unfeeling corporate culture
Community sales director (Former Employee) –  WoodbridgeNovember 16, 2018
I'm not fond of reviews typically but I think it's necessary that people know what they're walking into, and had I known previously I would have never taken a job with this company. Senior living sales and marketing has become cutthroat and Atria is the personification of that. Shrouded in cold secrecy, top-down micromanaging, constant stress, truly a traumatic place to work. do not care about their employees except what they can bring to the table that benefits their bottom line. There's a reason why there's a high turnover. But to be fair that's industry-wide. And even the one person that I thought was trustworthy turned out to be not so. Naturally the residents are wonderful but they're wonderful no matter where you go that's a reason we do what we do. Time to find some other way to serve seniors.
Pros
Residents. ELD.
Cons
Everything else
I never worked
Host (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 14, 2018
this restaurant no longer exists. The business and management was great but the restaurant fell out of business so this is not a review for a senior living home.
It was a fine place to work
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MANovember 12, 2018
It was a fine place to work. To cover evening shifts the company uses outside agencies which can be challenging. The day shift and management were great to me. No issues.
Overall Was a good place to work with friendly people.
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 12, 2018
You get to have personal conversation with each resident and learn their respective lies and dislikes. The people whom you work with are rather nice and the residence them selves where very pleasant
Pros
Good hourly wages
Cons
Fast paced
ok place to work
Telecom Analyst (Former Employee) –  KentuckyNovember 12, 2018
I am not able to objectively review. I have not worked there in some time, so any review would be be an accurate snapshot. It was an ok place to work.
The place has a nice new kitchen and have a good environment for work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CANovember 11, 2018
The most important thing on this job was I learned something new every day. Also was a fun place to work and the coworkers were friendly and share their experiences.
Pros
Free lunch.
I enjoy working at Atria
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXNovember 9, 2018
The most amazing part of my work time at Atria was the residents. I enjoyed my coworkers and the free lunch was great. I liked the uniforms, the health insurance was pretty good.
Pros
Taking care of the residents and healthcare insurance
Cons
Short break and less pay
Love working at Atria.
Wait staff/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTNovember 8, 2018
So much fun working at The Atria. Fun to get to know the residents and where they are from and what they did for work.Great meeting new friends and learning a new experience
Pros
health Insurance and PTO
Cons
Not a good place to work
Administration (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 7, 2018
I used to be happy about going to work because I really felt like the Atria mission actually meant something. The longer I worked there the more I realized that atria actually does NOT care about their employees or their residents. They care about their money and their upper management. I know very few of the front line staff that don’t have to work two and theee jobs to support themselves because Atria doesn’t want to pay a reasonable wage to the employees that actually care about the residents. They rather give it to the department heads who do very little in the actual running of the community or upper management. Bet not one single department head or upper management has to work more than one job. This company is extremely top heavy and corporate greed is alive and well at Atria . You do get a yearly raise which usually ranges from .15-25 cents, not even enough to cover the increase in the cost of living. RIDICULOUS. They have employee surveys asking our opinions but even when you voice concerns they don’t do anything about them. And the unethical stuff that goes on there in the attempts to satisfy Atrias unrealistic and unnecessary rules and policies would make anyone question whether they should live there much less work there. Department head turnover is ridiculous because of all this unnecessary paperwork and rules. I really wish that Atria cared about its staff and residents as much as they cared about lining their pockets with money. And the free meals are a joke unless you enjoy toddler sized portions of gross food.
Pros
Residents, coworkers
Cons
Management, wages, corporate greed
Took this job for the right reasons but.....
Director of Culinary Services (Current Employee) –  AZNovember 5, 2018
Residents constantly complain about food. I want to give them great, really nice, presentable food but I can only spend $6 per person per day when their paying sometimes as much as $10,000 per month. Not to mention the fact that corporate constantly berates me for using too many labor hours. Well I can't make quality food with one person cooking for 240 people on their own 6 days a week! So I jump in myself. Then i get yelled at again for not keeping up on logs, checklists, paperwork to double check existing paperwork (literally that redundant) but i literally can't be the Director and the chef! Then i lost a cook because they were overwhelmed but i wasn't allowed to fill the position because of labor hours.

This company only cares about profit. They only care if it's going to hurt the bottom line. God forbid they get hit with a lawsuit! Regional support is a mess. No one is on the same page. A lot of the directors are new to the company and although the property was acquired years ago, they only now want to convert everything to Atria. This place is such a disappointment. I wanted to help people. I wanted this to be rewarding. Instead it's the most stressful job of my career. No thank you's, no good job's, just...better come in at budget or else! You wouldn't believe all of the unethical things I've seen here but there's no one to complain to. This is the true culture of this company. Maybe its different at other communities, maybe it's better in other regions, but I don't want to find out. I'm looking for another job but haven't found a single thing. I've never had a
  more... hard time finding a job and now it's like I'm untouchable. Thinking it's this place to be honest.  less
Pros
Salary
Cons
Corporate, unethical, liars, thieves
Horrible/stressful place to work.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 4, 2018
It sucked.

kjhgfdxcvbhjuytgfvhyghuhygjuhyjuhjuyhgbhnjhuygtfrdcfvgbhujytgfdcfvghyuyhgfvfghujiuyhgyhu8yhghyu8iuhgyu8iuhuiuhbghuiuhbghuhgbghuhbgvhu8h
good work environment
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLNovember 4, 2018
wonderful place to work quick paced friendly staff. residents were a pleasure to help very friendly atmosphere. The facility was very organized very clean and manageable.
My day at Atria Senior Living
Concierge/Receptionist/Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 2, 2018
Very fast pace environment. I have started at an entry level position and have moved to an administration position in less than 1 year.
The hardest part of my job is working both positions in one day, long hour days frequently and the complaints from the residents about food service.
I enjoy the interaction with the residents and their family members. I love the feeling of being an "first impression employee" for Atria.
Pros
free lunches, flexible schedule
Cons
long hour days because not fully staffed
run
Director (Former Employee) –  Albany NYNovember 1, 2018
They promise you the moon and the stars then they turned around and go back on their word. you will work from morning to night 2 -3 weeks in a row without a day off, and on your days off you are not allowed to turn your phone off or go off the grid because you are on call 24/7. If they can't reach you you will be reprimanded. zero work to life balance as a manager. They do not care if you have a life or family outside of work, you live and breath Atria.
Pros
Weekly paycheck
Cons
no work to life balance, poor leadership, no support when needed
One of my worst jobs.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2018
At the Atria I worked at, No one was considerate at all. People would splash water in your face, Managers are yelling at you to get the job done and even giving people longer breaks who ever they favored.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Terrible work conditions and unfair treatment
Horrible! Glen ellyn is the worst place to work
RSA (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILOctober 31, 2018
Dont go here! I was laid off for making a complaint about a nurse who was racist and flat out rude. Employees gossip all day and do no work. ED is self absorbed and never deals with any issues. They will work you to death then talk to you horribly. I loved the residents but I would not put my parents in that place nor would.I recommend it to anyone. Its say I came with high expectations and was left embarrassed. They laid me off then hours later offered my hours to other employees. How are you cutting staff because of budget but your willing to pay overtime? This place is a joke and its days are numbered.
Pros
None FREE meals are HORRIBLE
Cons
Worst management
NOT "about people"
Community Business Director (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 30, 2018
Director positions are demanding and have many unrealistic expectations to start. Salary not in line with demands.
Each Director is expected to "fill in" when another is out even when the position is vacant for months. It is the expectation of the Directors to do multiple jobs. No help from corporate.
They hire smart people but expect them to act like robots.
Upper management operates on a bullying mentality. No place to take grievances. Corporate mentality is like it or leave it.
Company culture states that they are about people but that is not true when trying to make a sale. They admit people that the facility cannot care for and lie about services/pricing, etc.
Communities are in constant competition with each other even though they are in the same company and upper management applauds this.
Company culture states they have "high ethical standards" however I found them to be only of pretense. They do not "practice what they preach" at all.
Pros
Good benefits, working around residents and most staff
Cons
Long work hours with no breaks or compensation, OnCall during days off and PTO, No respect for Directors opinions
Best place I ever worked
Driver/Engage Life Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIOctober 28, 2018
The company overall was a great company to work for. We had bonuses when we did well on satisfaction surveys and when corporate would do their biannual QE visits. The place ran like a well oiled machine. There were some things that I think corporate went overboard with, but overall, they cared not only about their employees, but the residents that lived in their communities as well, Having worked in other communities over the years I know first hand that's not always the case.
Pros
Good management and rewards program
Cons
low pay and poor hours
To Many Changes
RSA (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTOctober 28, 2018
Atria switches out management every 6 months it seems. I have been through more Directors than I care to count in my short time here. The management team is all in competition with each other, despite being in charge of different departments. They have an unusually high turnover rate. There is no teamwork feeling here.
Pros
Free Lunch, Awards Ceremony
Cons
No stability in building, competitive instead of collaborative, below average pay, no respect
Sad
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, CAOctober 25, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job was working double shift.The hardest part of my job after i work double shift. i received call earl morning to my supervisor accusing me i did not do. it was SAD...
Pros
No free Nights shift food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atria Senior Living. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight