Auburn University Employee Reviews

Disappointing
Admn. Adacem. (Current Employee) –  Auburn University, ALJuly 12, 2018
You may hire in at one position with promise of advancement but at any time, even with great annual job reviews...the administration can demote you, move you, change your job without warning. Very-very much a class sensitive, Good Ole' Boy and totally unethical atmosphere. Very disappointing after 20 plus years here and I'm certainly not alone but we are all job scared and afraid to speak up. Please pay attention to the reviewers on this site. Most of them are students (part time students, GTA's, GRA's, Fellows, etc.) and are not full time......long term staff. Faculty positions are totally different as well.
Pros
leave time and benefits
Cons
Too much Good Ole' Boy and social cast non-sense
A good place to work
Lab Tech II (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 21, 2019
Auburn is a great place to work either as a place to pass through or until retirement. It's an outstanding environment for growth both personally and professionally. Great benefits
Pros
great growth and benefits
Cons
parking
flexible work schedule
Animal Care Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALSeptember 20, 2018
No 2 days are the same. You have to be very flexible as manager because anything can pop up at any time. I have a very small but good group of employees, which makes it easier to manage.
benefits
Cons
poor upper management
A good family oriented company
Animal Care Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALMay 10, 2018
Everyday is never the same in my workplace. I sometimes work beside my staff to show them that they are not beneath me. Upper management has changed over the years and not all for the good.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
lack of career advancement; poor raises
Management in the department and college was lacking
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALSeptember 28, 2018
If you do your job as is stated on your faculty split and get exceptional reviews, it doesn’t mean anything if you are not in the good ol boy system. I suggest if you choose to be a faculty member here that you do what the senior faculty say and not what your job description says. Otherwise, you will not make it. If one senior faculty member doesn’t like your research, don’t expect to advance in your career. In addition, females in certain departments will not make what males do. I had 18 years of experience over a male colleague and was making less. Auburn is a great place to live but it isn’t the place it used to be. The administration and faculty have tried to change it into a liberal arts school and that was not what it was intended to be.
Pros
Good atmosphere, lots for family to do
Cons
Unfair policies, no vacation for some full time faculty
Very fun environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 10, 2019
Working at the University was very pleasant. Work was fast paced due to the high amount of student in processing each quarter for classes, housing, etc.
The office I worked at was for the graduate school students who typically had high amounts of paperwork to go through and so it took a while to process each one.

Hardest part of the job would be the translation barriers for international students.
Pros
Nice environment, lots of stuff to do around town, good management
Cons
Stressful months out of the year, High volume of workload per person
It was a challenging and interesting employment.
Chemical Engineering Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 6, 2019
I was a Chemical Engineering Lab Tech with a focus on assisting Master Program Candidates with their projects. This assistance focused on the mechanical requirements of their projects. The workplace because of the focus by the candidates on developing a means to reduce the sulfur content in coal prior to burning kept it very interesting from an environmental viewpoint.
Pros
Interesting environment to work.
Cons
Somewhat repetitive for my position.
Advancement options
Administrative Associate II, Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALDecember 13, 2018
One constant that I don't mind here is that nothing is the same each day. However, I don't have any advancement option in my current position, which is why I am looking elsewhere. I would like a career that suites my degree.
Great benefits, OK work environment
Research Associate II (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALApril 25, 2018
They provide excellent benefits and a flexible schedule, but the administrative hoops are a pain and co-workers are a toss-up as to how well you will get along with them.
Nice atmosphere
Graduate Women in Science Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toomer's HallOctober 21, 2018
Auburn University offers people the opportunity to fulfill their passion through all the careers and studies they offer. The campus is beautiful and everyone is so nice. Every day brings new knowledge to the table. Great place to be.
Pros
Atmosphere, community
Cons
Lots of work, traffic on weekends
Office Manager
Lead Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn University, ALSeptember 18, 2017
Day to day routine working with students and professors of all cultures. Record handling with confidentiality.

Managed all of the office task including but not limited to payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, maintenance and correspondence with campus facilities and outside vendors. Project manager of relocation and renovations for the department.

Direct contact assisting professors and students in building courses and registering for courses. Posted grades and dealt with student issues.

My office worked as a team to better assist campus as a whole which include parents, students and professors. We pride our self in being the office to go to for answers.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Pay is not up to date for those who have been there for years
Wonderful environment to work
Financial Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALNovember 7, 2018
Large amount of paid vacation days. Co-workers make working here awesome.
Organize and maintain purchase order files for digital storage. Open and maintain vender files.
Troubleshoot incoming calls regarding Banner Finance, vendor issues, invoices, travel expenses, and purchase orders.
Pros
Opportunity to attent all University programs
Cons
there is lower pay offered for the work done
Auburn University
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALDecember 2, 2018
How you review working at Auburn University depends on which department you work. Information Technology is a relax culture and great people. Understanding managers are a plus.
Productive and nice workplace
Temporary Employee services (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALNovember 29, 2018
auburn is a very productive place to work where the fellow employees are nice and show teamwork skills. Lunches are 30 mins from 11:30 to 12 so your best choice is to basically bring it. The supervisors are friendly but only on a occupation level. Otherwise great environment and workplace to make money.
Wonderful Environment
Senior Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 30, 2018
One of the best places in America to work. Great benefits, coworkers, and management which rewards hard work and advances individuals based on merit and performance.
as an instructor of principles of microeconomics
Instructor of ECON (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALOctober 4, 2018
In a week, I usually teach on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have learnt how to activate students' interests in economics, that is, to apply and combine theories to their daily life. The hardest part might be the differentiated learning abilities among different students. I have been enjoying the interactive learning environment with my students.
Graduate Student Review
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Auburn, ALOctober 23, 2018
I am a graduate student who works as a research assistant. The health insurance is okay but you can only go to the clinic on campus which they always refer you to a nurse practitioner. You are only able to see the doctor if it is an emergency. Otherwise, the work environment is fine and easy to get along with most professors.
Fast pace upbeat environment
Sous Chef/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALAugust 17, 2018
Was a great company to work for but if you love the culinary business you’ll also like to advance in this business position wise and financially and be able to be a part of the create team also
Pros
Free lunch and laid back
Cons
Advancements is involved long as willingly to keep same pay
Good Place to Be
Peer Advisor - Part-time (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALOctober 9, 2018
It's a family. Everyone helps out. Management can be a bit weak, but other than that its a good place for a student to work. I would recommend the job to any student who wants some pocket change.
I did Landscaping at the School of Forestry research site
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  School of Forestry and Wild Life ScienceApril 26, 2018
A typical day would maintain the site( mowing,weed eating, planting trees, and cutting down trees). Also help Grad Students with their research projects. We learned manual labor.. Management was really good at delegating jobs for us.It was a fun workplace culture, because you were out in the middle of the woods doing labor instead of sitting in an office. The hardest part of the job was probably mulching, or planting 10,000 trees in a day.The most enjoyable part of the job was exploring the research site..
Pros
telling jokes with the boss during lunch break.
Cons
Working in 100 degree heat.