Augsburg University Employee Reviews

Exciting, challenging, rewarding.
Grounds Crew (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 4, 2018
Landscaping and maintenance at Augsburg University is always a challenge, but developing new skills and seeing results is so rewarding. Being able to add my own ideas into the work we did was also an exciting addition to the job description.
Pros
Collaborative, independent work and teamwork.
Cons
Low pay
Orientation leader
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 19, 2018
My main complaint is that sometimes, like at most colleges and universities, orientation and residence life staff are required to work incredibly long hours during orientation sessions. Otherwise, I loved this job. It led to many leadership opportunities on campus and I learned so much about myself and the world.
Pros
Future opportunities, free snacks, trainings on racism and LGBTQIA issues, strong friendships built in my cohort.
Cons
Occasionally there were very long hours.
Financial Serivces
Student Financial Services Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 12, 2018
There was a great work/life balance in my office and my director was flexible and accommodating. However, the office lacked clear guidelines and processes and many people were not on the same page. There was also an issue with inappropriate conduct from a co-worker which was handled rather casually, in my opinion.
Motivated people, great atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 17, 2018
Augsburg is a great place to work, provided you're in the right department. As with every higher education institution, there's power struggles and other nonsense, but it was better here than other colleges I worked at.

ResLife is high turnover, would avoid, but other programs are great from what I saw.
Pros
Benefits package was great, HR responsive, students are wonderful
Cons
Expensive parking ($100-200 semesterly), pay is average
Treated and told how replaceable we were as workers.
Auggie Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 7, 2018
As a student worker for Augsburg Admissions, I had great experiences with the counselors yet some horrible moments with the directors and other staff members within the office. We were once told by one of the directors of admissions that we were very easily replaceable. I loved everything else about the job such as being able to connect with the students and help organize and plan certain aspects of the events.
Pros
great counselors, laid back atmosphere, flexible hours
Cons
short/no breaks, little respect from the directors
Being an Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 3, 2018
- Requires terminal degree.
- Pay, while better than some, is still quite poor.
- High expectations for your teaching quality.
- Students In MA Leadership program.
Pros
Quality program, great students.
Cons
Poor pay, Adjuncts disconnected from rest of Augsburg.
There is no "typical day"
Athletic Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 8, 2018
Walking into work I never really knew what to expect. It may be a super busy and stressful day, then the next day would be an open schedule with nothing to do. There is little consistency. Management overall has been wonderful, but with recent turnover and hires the quality of management within the Athletics Office has declined.
Tedious analysis in research, with ping pong table
Space Physics Research Internship (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 29, 2018
If your goal is to enjoy a relaxed pace of overbearing workload and minimum wage, step right up! One must be respectable and have little to no problems working in dull conditions. There was learning going on in the workplace about what you dealt with for sure. When given autonomy of work environment, you can go at your work with ease and music.
Pros
Great Mentorship!
Cons
No benefits unless you're full time
Easy jobs to sustain for college students
Director and Manager of Advertisement; KAUG Radio (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 20, 2018
Most jobs on the campus of Augsburg University for students are perfect for balancing school and work by not over scheduling employees and being understanding of outside obligations while still being a reliable income to supplement living.
Pros
Short hours (depending on position) easy work to study while working
Cons
Usually slow paced and not very interesting
Fun
Thoughtful Giving Specialist (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 30, 2018
This was a great and fun place to work. The coworkers and Leadership were all easy going and easy to work with. The mission of the school was also very good.
Pros
Leadership
Cons
Cubs
Positive work environment and flexible schedule
ADMISSIONS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 21, 2018
I enjoyed working with the people and the staff as well as the prospective students. Since I was a student worker I wasn't given paid time off, but my schedule was flexible and easily negotiable.
Augburg
Resident Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 13, 2017
I loved working at Augsburg! The students were great, the staff was wonderful! I only left because i had to relocate out of the region. The diverse culture there was great!
Respectful and fun work place.
Biology Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 5, 2017
Everyone here values one another like nowhere else. The majority of students at this school have very high moral and are very respectful to others. I have witnessed so many times where students help one another without hesitation.
Pros
Nice working environments
Cons
low paid
Why not?
Concessions Supervisor (Current Employee) –  AthleticsDecember 5, 2017
It is money to have fun on the weekend you can use it for fun money and you don't have to work that much unless you want to make money for something like rent.
Great Mission
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 10, 2017
Augsburg College (now Augsburg University) has a mission that those who work there really grab ahold of - this is a great thing. Unfortunately, the desire to 'do good' often outweighs planning, thoughtful financial management, and assessment of what is necessary and what is 'nice to do.' If Augsburg could focus on what's most important, it would have the resources it needs for its core work - educating a diverse group of students. Stick to the knitting and stop trying to do all things!
Pros
Great mission, great buy-in to mission, thoughtful hard working staff
Cons
Always short of finances, some students not fully served because of scarce resources, too much attention to non-value added
Tutoring Is Tutoring
Accounting/Finance Tutor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 1, 2017
Not much to say here. The rooms I got to do the tutoring were the right rooms for tutoring. The kids I tutored were mostly respectful and took instruction well. The pay was low, but I wasn't doing it for that.
Pros
Loose
Cons
Low pay
Inclusive and Diverse workplace
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 12, 2017
Employees are given a vast array of benefits and support to be included into the day to day life of the campus. Fair compensation and a spirit of inclusivity and diversity make Augsburg a warm and inviting work place for both professionals and support staff.
Pros
Location, inclusiveness and diversity, solid compensation and benefits
It was a stressful place to work.
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Accounting administrationSeptember 24, 2017
While the manager I had was good the person who she reported to and the presidents officer I.e the CFO, and Vice President and foundation leader were hard to work with. They were extremely demanding and very inconsiderate of the employees.
Pros
Decent benefits I guess and co workers were great
Cons
Upper management has zero consideration for the staff
Long time ago
Operating Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 3, 2017
Working at a college has its appeal. Lots of energy and cool people running around having a good time. educational benefits working as staff are very good.
Pros
Learning
Cons
generally lower wages
For sutdents
Resident Executive Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 31, 2017
If you go to school there then it is good for you because you get a discount on living which makes schooling and life more simple. I tried commuting and it was hard.
Pros
Work close to campus
Cons
don't pay a lot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Augsburg University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3