Aurora Flight Sciences Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Configuration Analyst II Duties (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVJuly 30, 2018
Fun atmosphere, great people to work with. Management allows your input and suggestions. Great company mission, very charitable. Employee recognition is awesome.
Typical work day
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVMay 21, 2018
Maintained maintenance on floor and did technical schedules.
Got new and up to date experience to further my knowledge of aircraft. Best place to work
Interesting place to work; not very organized
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVMay 18, 2018
Aurora is a very interesting place to work. One can pursue any aspect of manufacturing or design if they ask the right questions and take time out of their day to do so. Unfortunately, it often seems as if the different sites and sections (e.g. engineering and quality) do not communicate to each other effectively. This means that one is often given conflicting information, and even after pointing this out to the parties involved, the parties will often not talk to each other but will only talk with you.
Pros
interesting work, great place to learn
Cons
communication
Not a place I want to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 14, 2018
You're worked to the nines and under appreciated.
Engineers are treated differently. The good ole boy ways.
Headquarters in Virginia is the place you ought to be.
Pros
Cons
lack of support and tools to do the job
Very poor management
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSDecember 1, 2017
If you really need a job, and you have no other choice, this would be a place to start and learn but you would definitely want to move on. The management at Aurora flight sciences is very unorganized and unprofessional. They run the company on a buddy buddy system, not on what you know, but who you know.
Loved it
Mechanical engineering intern (Former Employee) –  manassas virginiaJune 16, 2017
As an intern at Aurora Flight Sciences I learned a lot. The engineers there really supported and answer each question that I had, not only job related, but also classes, mentor and much more.
Dynamic firm in the aerospace industry
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 15, 2017
Generally, a very cool place to work from the day-to-day activities and overall business plan perspective. Enjoyed my time greatly and the management was very supportive.
different
Lead Designer Checker (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMarch 13, 2017
progressive and small. had some big clients - major defense contractors. lots of travel and many challenges to deal with. enjoyed working for Aurora.
Great atmosphere, relaxed enviroment
Night shift Body man (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVFebruary 23, 2017
Short as possible night shift hours, learned lots of tricks, never dealt with management, just a supervisor and another highly skilled co-worker. The hardest part was working while tired from working eight hours at County Club Chrysler during the day but the supervisor got us out of there in six hours whenever possible. I enjoyed the laid-back attitude and atmosphere.
Pros
Good pay!
Cons
Night shift.
Goal-oriented and lunch for a flat $5.00
A/P Accountant (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 22, 2017
A typical day at work is not too busy. It was interesting to learn about their projects on building new surveillance aircrafts and their dealings with government sectors especially NASA. Management was very reasonable and workplace was professional, pleasant, very goal oriented. The hardest part of the job was not getting the information I needed to accomplish my credit card reconciliation on time. Most enjoyable is the friendly environment
A great place to start
Production Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJanuary 19, 2017
IF you are a young Aerospace, Mechanical, Industrial Engineer this is a great place to learn the very basics of Aviation production.
Pros
Lead Engineers have a lot of knowledge and experience.
Cons
Some boring moments.
Inovative aerospace company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVJanuary 12, 2017
Aurora is an aggressive leader in the aerospace industry. Work life is fast very fast paced. The overall benefits are good.
Productive Team Environment but Senior Management is Fickle
Site Controller (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working with the team of very talented engineers. Senior management, however, foster an environment of military style management, relying heavily on intimidation tactics to get the job done
Middle of the road
Tech (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVDecember 31, 2015
Fairly relaxed work environment if everything is on time, otherwise its a constant fire fight. Upper management claims to be approachable, but isn't really. They don't listen to/understand problems from a technician point of view. If you aren't an engineer, you have limited opportunity to move up.
Pros
Fairly relaxed, Benefits were decent
Cons
If you aren't an engineer, you won't get far. Pay is below average
organizied management
Supplier Quality Auditor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSNovember 6, 2015
Excellent training to detail team oriented to assure customer Focus All employees work as a team and utilized their talent t
Pros
Team work
Cons
Infracture
Interesting and Productive work
Composite Technician (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVOctober 30, 2015
Good company. The production of composite aircraft parts is challenging and rewarding. Very concerned with employee welfare.
Pros
Christmas week off.
Cons
Layoffs occure.
Very rewarding place to work with different daily skills testing
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport wvSeptember 28, 2015
Rewarding work place with some of the greatest coworkers.

Daily tasks are very challenging and rewarding

The Engineering support and interactive problem solving is at the industry best
Aurora sells pipe dreams and delivers disappointment
Configuration (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSSeptember 17, 2015
I was interviewed and was hired for a position that I was completely capable of handling. However, HR and management was only interested in filling the position to take it off the board more than they were interested in hearing that most of the employees were not willing to accept the help that was provided ultimately making it extremely difficult to do the job. Without the support of key management, several of the newly hired team members, like myself, packed up and moved on to other opportunities...if they were fortunate enough.
Pros
great pay
Cons
poor leadership, high turn over, pipe dreams
great company, but still needs to grow
Level III Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSSeptember 9, 2015
I knew a lot of information about this job from what I had learned at another aviation site. I enjoyed the group of people that I got a chance to work with.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
healthcare expensive
If you're looking for a career, move along. They won't be around much longer.
Mechanical Assembler & Painter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSApril 7, 2015
Companies have personnel problems. This is part of life. But Aurora is the only company I've worked for where the personnel problems primarily resided in upper and middle management. Every project I worked on in the 3.5 years I was there missed its deadline. Most of them missed multiple deadlines, since then deadlines would change every time the previous one was missed. Most of the time it's not a matter of committing to do a project in an unreasonable amount of time, but a sever lack of planning and coordination.

Most of the people I knew who worked there got compensated pretty fairly considering the fact that they were hired to build aircraft components with absolutely no experience coming in the door. BIG PROBLEM! There were only a handful of floor workers with previous experience, and I think we've all left at this point. I was told in my interview that they give program bonuses. I only saw one of those bonuses the entire time I was there, and it was a whopping $26 after working weeks of overtime.

The company tries to cut corners every single chance they get, and it never fails to come back to bite them. As one employee used to say "They never have enough money to do it right the first time, but somehow always have the money to do it 3 times before getting it right." I can't express enough how true that statement is.

Successful businesses are run by successful businessmen. Aurora is run by engineers, and engineers just aren't typically very good businessmen. On top of that, their engineers aren't even very good engineers. I've always heard that good
  more... engineering isn't gaged by how well you can design something, but how well you can design something so that the sum of it's components remain less than the value of the product. I'm pretty sure none of the engineers working there have ever had this explained to them, because they lose money on everything.

In a nut shell, Aurora might be a good stepping stone if you're trying to work your way into the aerospace field, but don't plan on staying their too long. If they continue with the path they are on, the doors will close within a year. The best the company can hope for is to be bought out by a more competent corporation.
Pros
Nice Christmas Break
Cons
Every day you will feel like you are being managed by 5th graders

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aurora Flight Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.