Aurora Public Schools Employee Reviews

Get out of public education
ELEMENTARY EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  17401 Dartmouth AvenueMay 20, 2018
If you are willing to indoctrinate children, public education is for you. If you are willing to be berated by parents and left unprotected by staff, go into public education.
benefits
Cons
indoctrination, berated by staff and parents
Great compensation, pay and benefits. Poor leadership in some schools.
Affective Needs Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 18, 2018
The pay is very competitive in APS. Great benefits packages if you are single or don't have to claim your spouse and/or dependents. If you have to claim someone the insurance becomes very expensive. The overall vision of the district is great but leadership with the schools lacks integrity in some aspects and they treat the employees poorly.
Pros
Great pay and benefits. Great teachers.
Cons
Poor leadership within some of the buildings.
On the go
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COApril 10, 2018
Must be on time to work and perform all the duties required for the job. Having a schedule is worth it because you're consistently on the on your feet. I learned many things about management and workplace culture.
Pros
Playing soccer with the kids at recess.
Cons
Different teachers required different needs.
Good District
Affective Needs Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Vista Peak Exploratory K-8April 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time working in Aurora. The structures in place are good and I felt that it was run well. I enjoyed the school I worked at overall and felt that I was trusted as a professional to do my job.
Loved my job wish I hadn't had to relocate
teacher part time (Former Employee) –  aurora- variousApril 4, 2018
Employment with Home School Options program was a fabulous part time job with appropriate pay but no benefits. Management at my various locations was supportive without micromanaging.
great pay but it's only contracted work
Simultaneous District Approved Interpreter (DAI) (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COMarch 17, 2018
As an APS interpreter the pay is great and the staff is knowledgeable and pleasant to work with. The only cons is the hours are not consistent and there are no benefits as a contracted employee. Overall, I enjoy the work I do at Aurora Public Schools.
Pros
great pay, awesome staff
Cons
work hours are not consistant, no benefits
Aps
Early Childhood Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COMarch 16, 2018
I work I enjoyed interacting with students daily, learned to organize classroom setting, managed small staff, and enjoyed workplace commitment to children. The students with disabilities required differentiated lessons which stretched and challenged me daily.
exciting to work as an Interpreter in all the public schools in aurora colorado
CERTIFIED DISTRICT APPROVED TRANSLATOR (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 22, 2018
I was in charge of 20 schools, when the schools needed a Spanish and English Interpreter for PTA meetings, Parent and Teacher conferences they would call me to meet with them and the pay was great hourly and it is my passion to be an interpreter so I really enjoyed working with the teachers and students to make sure the parent or student would leave knowing exactly what the teacher had to say without a doubt and feeling confident in what was translate and interpreted.
Pros
great hourly pay great as a job on the side / while obtaining a full time job as well
Cons
you had to be on call so the hours were not secure
Unstable management let to stress and uncertainty
Teacher's Aide, Classroom (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJanuary 26, 2018
The school at which I was employed, changed principals three times during the school year. I managed to achieve my work goals, despite the instability caused by this frequent change in leadership.
Pros
Great kids.
Cons
Supervised breaks and recess games.
Rewarding but not enough support
Community Liaison (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 11, 2017
In my time at APS I have connected with the most amazing students. However, in a fast paced environment, there is a tremendous amount of stress because of every school (essentially) being short staffed.

In addition to my duties, I also: supervise lunch/recess, cross-walk guard, and provide support for any school activites.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
over worked
enjoyed working with kids
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  1st Airport Aurora CONovember 13, 2017
Good company hours and pay. Come to work you have a three hour break. You have time to take care of things. rewarding to have contact with children. you could b the best part of their day.
Pros
goo environment
Cons
can't advance
Productive, but lacking the enjoyment of it
Aquatics Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 1, 2017
Every time I come to work I think of the kids and how their going to act. I always want to be ready for any bad behavior or amazing swim strokes from my students. But as I come it I see my manager and I feel let down because I know that she is no fun and has been working there for years. I try to put on my best face make the work day a best one because even though the employees don't connect with me I know that the kids are what matter the most.
Pros
Kids, Swimming, a few employees, and 401k
Cons
Manager, and pool is not clean
Challenging
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 30, 2017
School nursing is more challenging than one would expect. It's hard, but worth the payback. I highly recommend it. The staff I worked with were wonderful, but there was a change in administration as I was leaving, so I'm unable to speak to the current culture.
Hard Working District
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 14, 2017
This school district primarily serves a demographic of low socio-economic and diverse families. Teachers are extremely committed to the growth and development of their students.
great management
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 11, 2017
no stress place, management is good. kids are bad. love the hours off in the meddle of the day. allows you to get done things like doctors, banking, and outer things.
Pros
no stress
Cons
no pay
Salary Compensation is terrible because pay is spread out through the year
Para-Educator for Autism (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 5, 2017
Employees are stressed out dealing with kids. Kids have attitudes, lack of respect for elders or peers. Kids have prejudices against other races and body types that are most likely taught from their relatives. Teachers work hard everyday to teach students general morals and the generic subjects.
Pros
Helping children
Cons
Pay
Transporting special needs students
Transportation Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 25, 2017
Schedule students to and from school in the 45 minutes that is considered best practice. Becoming a part of some incredible students lives, if only for the time they are on the bus.
Pros
Helping children
Cons
Cold mornings on a bus
Unfortunately the kids are getting out of control and there is no support from your supervisors.
Warehouse then Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Aurora ColoradoSeptember 24, 2017
Transporting students to and from school activities after school, field trips midday, pre tripping buses fueling buses cleaning the buses.in the summer I would work in upholstery, painting bus signs on curves and other various duties
Cons
Having to go home for 4 hours and return to work.
Best job I ever had.
Registrar - School Computer Systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 21, 2017
The pace was busy, the work challenging. I loved it. I worked in a great school with an amazing staff. I would still be there if I had not moved out of state.
Pros
Teamwork and recognition.
Cons
Lots of interruptions
Good Place to work!
Campus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COSeptember 9, 2017
I enjoyed my time working for Aurora Public School, I was able to grow personal and professional I was able to assist young Artist with different project and prepare for art shows I was ask to come to special needs class and do portraits for graduation student to give to there parents.
Pros
growth and enter action with students
Cons
facuilty would not stand up for unclassfied staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aurora Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Aurora Public Schools Reviews by Location