Austal USA

Austal USA Employee Reviews

United States233 reviews
It is a good place to gain experience i a vast network. You will learn a lot, and be making decisions in real time very quickly. It has issues with management
It's shocking that such a large employer in Mobile is ran this poorly internally. Their entire leadership team needs a complete overall. The HR department is a nothing short of a joke and it doesn't stop there. The "leaders" in this organization are self-centered, egotistic, and uneducated. I would rather work at anywhere else than ever have the displeasure of working for this organization again.
The abuse they put onto their employees should be illegal, and in fact is. I learned how NOT to run a business by working here.

Management feels the need to power flex on every worker below them and it was an exhausting work culture. Their benefits are minimal compared to other work places in the area and the pay is mediocre at best.

Do yourself a favor and just keep looking elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Management, benefits, culture
People were busy and mind each of their businesses seriously. Managers were helpful and corrected mistakes done in the past. They were very serious when it came to the security of every area inside the compound.
Pros
Safe work environment.
Cons
Can’t think of anything.
At first they make you feel welcome so that goes on for a while. As soon as they see that you have a voice or that you know just a little more than they do about the business they are in, you become the enemy. Keep aware of the good old boy club because this will also make your job almost impossible. I saw Project Managers struggle to get man power because they where not in the good old boy club. California gets worse because if you are a Cali person and not a Mobile transplant you will get zero support. The finance department here at Austal hides all sorts of money from the Government and they act like it’s normal to do that. The National City office is ran like a concentration camp and you are expected to work more than 8 hours a day and not one Project Coordinator gets paid overtime which in California that’s illegal. Beware of this company both in Mobile, AL and National City, CA. I’m actually surprised no one has opened a claim with the California Division of Labor Standards. Thursday’s are slaughter days at the ER completely unprofessional and people get into arguments all the time.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Benefits are for Alabama not California, 401K is only 3% match, Health insurance is rarely accepted in California, No lunch break, back stabbing, good old boy club
Job seekers rely on your experience.
When the heat gets put on management for their incompetence, they will find someone to blame and HR will back them. They will stab you in the back at the first opportunity.
Pros
Pay is pretty good.
Cons
Liars galore
There was absolutely no order to what we were doing and the pay scale is horrible. You can only get a raise if your in good with your supervisor. Everyone is buddy buddy
Pros
Cons
Pay and Work/Life balance
Once I started working for the company I was excited then once I actually got in there and see how that do not care for the employees they don't take care of them ulcers not a union so they pretty much terminate you for anything
Austal is a mattress manufacturer who got into the business of building boats (not really ships) for the US Navy. It was a very poor decision for the Navy, but a very lucrative one for a minor league shipbuilder. The LCS platform is the disposable razor of Navy ships. It has limited utility and doesn't last very long. This isn't entirely Austal's fault. They delivered exactly what the Navy asked for, and not a bit more than was required. Then the Navy asked for a bunch of changes, which Austal readily provided after the Navy showered them with money. They treat their employees like mercenaries. They pay fairly well, and the health benefits are better than average. The managers are not skilled at shipbuilding, but they are experts at blame-shifting. It is a viper pit for managers and project managers. If you aren't part of the Alabama clan, you are an outsider, and basically cannon fodder for their war with the Navy. This gravy train is ending after the last ship is delivered sometime in 2022 or so.
I was working my dream career, doing the work I love, and doing it well! Furthermore, I had a flexible schedule and the salary was cool. What more could you ask for?
Good company to work for
Clean environment

Working hours and schedule is great for work home balance

Nice opportunity to work on various projects

Job security
It is a government contracted naval shipyard. Therefore there is massive amounts of red tape. The work is relatively easy and clean for the industry. One of the safest if not safest shipyards in the nation. The management is divided and there is infighting. Employees are considered replaceable.
Get injured your fault or not you’re screwed and jobless. Austal will not protect employees. You’re just a piece of paper on the desk waiting for the shredder.
I enjoyed going to work everyday to see and talk to my co-workers.
I enjoyed working at Austal but there aren't any promotions or advancements in the logistics department.
Austal USA offers a apprenticeship program that is without a doubt the best and most fulfilling option offered at any job that I've ever been a part of. At the end of your four years, your A class and very well respected along with top pay that continuously goes up.
Has potential, but management is terrible. Lack of communication between departments causes countless headaches and delays. No advancement opportunities unless you are buddy-buddy with your manager or department head. They’ll hire from outside before promoting from within. Raises not in line with cost of living increases each year. Overall, a 3 out of 10.
Pros
Good benefits packages
Cons
Non-competitive pay, terrible advancement opportunities
Great place to work. Would recommend to anyone. People are awesome to work with and helpful. Pay rates are very good. Upward mobility is moderate. Very clean environment.
Poor management with clickish atmosphere, certain employees get privileges, mangers do not have employee management skills, rather use intimidating attitude instead of professional behavior.
It's the safest ship yard to work for and also the cleanest ... It's about ten minutes walk from the parking lot to final assembly ... we have a family day that the family members can see and tour the ships and also our facilities ...
Flexible with your working hours if emergencies come up. Willing to offer you additional training and qualifications. Competitive salary with a great benefit package.
Just hope you get a good supervisor
Dont try to make friends.

Stick to your crew and AWAYS STAY BUSY!! Very hostile work environment.

But for a young man who knows nothing trying to get a fresh start in life. It's good cause under the right supervision you can learn alot
i enjoy my coworkers and I have the best manager. He doesn't micromanage you. I have learned many job skills while working here. I have been promoted within the department I work in. The pay and bonus are great.