Austal USA Employee Reviews

Great company
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 13, 2018
Currently an employee at Austal and I can say it's been my favorite place to work. Would recommend to anyone looking to get into corporate finance/management.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Lots of meetings
Inexperienced IT Management
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 1, 2018
IT department lacks true enterprise vision. There are a lot of positions that are filled with inadequate personnel. There is little accountability when those people screw things up. Hiring is done to fill a seat, rather than hiring the right skill set. Budget decisions are based on lowest cost; not the proper solution. Managers are not technical enough to "fact-check" subordinates. Promotions are given to their buddies. Employee attrition is rampant. This place build ships and the cheap labor blue collar mentality bleeds over in to all things IT.
Pros
2 weeks vacation
Cons
ineffective leadership and vision
Class A Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 27, 2018
Pay was good and ot availability was good.My supervisor was great but there are some bad ones in the buddy system there. They need to work on supervision and management ethics.
Test and activation (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 20, 2018
Austal is a good reputable company, you just need the right leadership to make a career out of it. There is plenty of room for advancement. management can be screwed up but that is a mater of opinion.
Benefits
Good for working overtime
Shipfitter (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 12, 2018
Just go to work every day it was not a hard place to work somethings I didn't agree with but it wasn't that hard they have good benefits and days off work
Sometimes
Fitter/Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 11, 2018
Sometimes, has good health benefits does not provide enough fans for confined spaces when the temperature is hot, clean restrooms in nice break rooms, willing to work around shift
Excellent benefits, poor IT leadership
IT administrator (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 27, 2018
Highly low-budget driven environment. Management does not understand IT technology. No opportunity to work remote. Good 'ol boy network. No accountability for poor decision making. However, the salaried jobs pay well.
Pros
Health insurance, 2 weeks vacation, greater than average salaries.
Cons
Leadership lacks IT vision. Management is not technical. Low budget drives all projects.
Safe, clean shipyard , apartment discounts for employees
AClass Fitter (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 26, 2018
Good place to work for pay and benifits however there is a direct link between your state of health and the finely ground aluminum dust you will breath in from minute you clock in untill clock out. I was there five yrs and had multiple lung and chest infections. You must wear a mask as a fabricator as much of your day as possible to prevent a decline in health. Ive not been sick once since i left there over 3 yrs ago. They dont like to issue cartridge mask if you are not clean shaven. If you are scruffy....buy your own that uses the filters they have in tool room. Earn your pay and try not to let the lazy employees you see around you each day demoralize you. Take pride in knowing you are just simply a better person with better work ethic than those lazy check collectors are. Bring $20 a day for powerade in july and august. You will need it. AUSTAL claim to fame is cleanest shipyard anywhere. Duh!!! Its new and many employees there are excellent in the art of the broom and dustpan (the skills on some people's resumes). If you can find humor in anything then you will have a blast at AUSTAL.
Pros
Boot allowance, holiday pay, paid vacations.
Cons
Hot, cold, health hazards, cant wear shorts and tank tops.
The management will be the downfall of this place
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 26, 2018
The white hats (foremans, lead foremans, and managers) hire friends and family not people qualified for the job. My manager was gonna hire a new supervisor that happened to be one of his friends because he owed him a favor.... Not because he was applicable to carrying out supervisor duties
Pros
Not really anything
Cons
foremans following and stalking you, and HR isnt there to help you
Fastpaced Work Enviornment
Safety Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 25, 2018
Very fast paced work environment, team oriented, room for growth in the company. Good benefits and medical insurances for full-time employees. Strict attendance policies.
Fast pace and competitive
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 11, 2018
A typical day at this company was very face past and competitive . The hardest part of this job was find the inspection locations that needed to be inspected.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Having to walk around the plant and find people to give them an eye inspections.
3/5 for me
APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 8, 2018
Wonderful people to work with daily. Management could use some tweaking. Excellent benefits and discounts. The pay is excellent for the local area. The company really loves to help the community.
shipyard!!!
Logistic Associate (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 20, 2018
awesome Mobile al shipyard. Austal USA men and women working together to protect our NAVY. doing a great job building the fleet for department of defense
Human resources is the worst part of the company
A-class ship fitter/ A-class welder (Former Employee) –  Welder and fitterMarch 10, 2018
Was done wrong by the human resources office but other than that it was a good company to work for. I worked the weekend shift which allowed me to be home with my family more than i had to be at work
Great place to work and gain experienc in the newest form of Naval ship construction and technology
A-Class Structural Ship Fitter (Current Employee) –  Mobile AlabamaMarch 8, 2018
Would highly recommend this as a great place to work
If you like a fast paced environment as I do then, this is a job for you.
Great pay and excellent benefits
Working conditions are clean and favorable
Not a hard job
Shipfitter/Welder (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 8, 2018
It’s a good job with stability and benefits. It is also one of the cleanest places I have ever worked. They also put safety first and that’s the most important thing.
Great place to Work
STRUCTURE WELDER/FITTER (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 7, 2018
I loved working at Austal and would do so again if given the opportunity. I enjoyed the people around me and my supervisors. because of a life event i had to move.
Great company, Great People. Inovative and cutting edge.
Fabrication Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 4, 2018
Excellent Management, especially on the Shop floor. Felt like working with family. Loved getting to be a part of the amazing naval vessels they built.
It was something different if you are really trying to get down and dirty that's the job for you
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALFebruary 25, 2018
It's a real hands on job if you're not ready to get down and dirty don't even try to aply but it's easy one you get the hang of it you have climb in small compartment on the Navy ships to clean certain areas out its real labor work so if you're not planning on getting down don't waste your time
Pros
We had 30 minutes lunch breaks off the clock and 15 minutes on the clock
Cons
I loved to work there if I can ever get another chance I would go right back
True Disaster
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 23, 2018
Life is great... If you're from Mobile working for this builder of this poorly designed ship (LCS - which truly means Litoral combat ship). This is a company that cares little for their start up San Diego office or are open to business recommendations to improve both quality of work and life. As a salaried employee, you will be expected to work relentlessly while the project remains undermanned for months.

The turnover rate has been high in my time on site, this includes senior management. If you're not blindly loyal to Austal, then be prepared to be ousted. By the way, when and if you quit, they are well known not to honor the 2 weeks notice, will let you go on the spot. The work of the previous person is given to another individual w/o getting a proper turn over. They send out surge support from Mobile to set up, but leave you to manage the tools. If your job doesn't allow you enough time to develop the tools, how will you have time to manage them?

If you care about your job, there will be little opportunity to feel good about the work you do because there's a lack of foundation. You'll find yourself in many awkward positions w/ the customer. The only care they have is cash. They are desperate, almost gasping for air and have absolutely no shame for exploiting tactics that double charges the government. At the same time, be prepared for use of primitive tools - everyone has their own, proud little pet project of an Excel spreadsheet instead of an integrated database management system.

If you have integrity, good work ethics, understand quality and project management,
  more... this place will be a demoralising joke. If feeling good about what you do is important, walk away. I have very little positive things to say about Austal and I wish it weren't so. I'm out the first chance I get.  less
Pros
Cool ships
Cons
Poor culture, stressful, cut throat, understaffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austal USA. Our community is ready to answer.

Austal USA Reviews by Location