Austal USA Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 13, 2018
Overall great company to work for. You are guaranteed at least forty hours a week but can work more if you'd like. The safest and cleanest ship yard in the country.
it was work.
A Class Fitout Tradesman/Fiber Optic Tech (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALSeptember 11, 2018
a job is a job. I don't really care to elaborate. However, if you wish that I ramble on sure. Here you go. I am under a required clearance to tell you nothing more than. Hey I build boats that the Navy likes a lot. Is that enough.
Experience
Heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 31, 2018
It allowed me to grow and advance my skills. This is all that I wish to say about the company but in order to move on I am forced to write a review. This is the most undesirable thing, no matter who's idea it is.
Stressful work enviroment
Fiber Optics Technician (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 29, 2018
To stressful, everyday work day takes the joy out of working their.
For ex, I have at least 3 meeting a week that I have to attend. In those meetings the pressure is very intense causing people to say and do things in fear of their jobs. Over time most people are trying to leave Austal.
If you enjoy happiness don't work for Austal
Trades Assistant Fit-out Installation (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 26, 2018
I would never recommend anyone to work at Austal. The management team from Supervisors to managers have no clue of what they're doing. They are rude, messy, they pick on others, they harass people, HR is one sided they continue to put you in situations where you are in hostile environment. I would never in my life be put back in such a stressful and unhappy environment.
It was ok
Fitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 17, 2018
Austal was a paycheck. Not much more. Management is arrogant but there are some great people in the trades. I didn’t deal with much office personnel. Not much of a shipyard and does things different than an average fitter is used to.
Great company
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 13, 2018
Currently an employee at Austal and I can say it's been my favorite place to work. Would recommend to anyone looking to get into corporate finance/management.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Lots of meetings
Inexperienced IT Management
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 1, 2018
IT department lacks true enterprise vision. There are a lot of positions that are filled with inadequate personnel. There is little accountability when those people screw things up. Hiring is done to fill a seat, rather than hiring the right skill set. Budget decisions are based on lowest cost; not the proper solution. Managers are not technical enough to "fact-check" subordinates. Promotions are given to their buddies. Employee attrition is rampant. This place build ships and the cheap labor blue collar mentality bleeds over in to all things IT.
Pros
2 weeks vacation
Cons
ineffective leadership and vision
Class A Structural Welder (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 27, 2018
Pay was good and ot availability was good.My supervisor was great but there are some bad ones in the buddy system there. They need to work on supervision and management ethics.
Test and activation (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 20, 2018
Austal is a good reputable company, you just need the right leadership to make a career out of it. There is plenty of room for advancement. management can be screwed up but that is a mater of opinion.
Benefits
Good for working overtime
Shipfitter (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 12, 2018
Just go to work every day it was not a hard place to work somethings I didn't agree with but it wasn't that hard they have good benefits and days off work
Sometimes
Fitter/Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJune 11, 2018
Sometimes, has good health benefits does not provide enough fans for confined spaces when the temperature is hot, clean restrooms in nice break rooms, willing to work around shift
Excellent benefits, poor IT leadership
IT administrator (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 27, 2018
Highly low-budget driven environment. Management does not understand IT technology. No opportunity to work remote. Good 'ol boy network. No accountability for poor decision making. However, the salaried jobs pay well.
Pros
Health insurance, 2 weeks vacation, greater than average salaries.
Cons
Leadership lacks IT vision. Management is not technical. Low budget drives all projects.
Safe, clean shipyard , apartment discounts for employees
AClass Fitter (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 26, 2018
Good place to work for pay and benifits however there is a direct link between your state of health and the finely ground aluminum dust you will breath in from minute you clock in untill clock out. I was there five yrs and had multiple lung and chest infections. You must wear a mask as a fabricator as much of your day as possible to prevent a decline in health. Ive not been sick once since i left there over 3 yrs ago. They dont like to issue cartridge mask if you are not clean shaven. If you are scruffy....buy your own that uses the filters they have in tool room. Earn your pay and try not to let the lazy employees you see around you each day demoralize you. Take pride in knowing you are just simply a better person with better work ethic than those lazy check collectors are. Bring $20 a day for powerade in july and august. You will need it. AUSTAL claim to fame is cleanest shipyard anywhere. Duh!!! Its new and many employees there are excellent in the art of the broom and dustpan (the skills on some people's resumes). If you can find humor in anything then you will have a blast at AUSTAL.
Pros
Boot allowance, holiday pay, paid vacations.
Cons
Hot, cold, health hazards, cant wear shorts and tank tops.
The management will be the downfall of this place
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 26, 2018
The white hats (foremans, lead foremans, and managers) hire friends and family not people qualified for the job. My manager was gonna hire a new supervisor that happened to be one of his friends because he owed him a favor.... Not because he was applicable to carrying out supervisor duties
Pros
Not really anything
Cons
foremans following and stalking you, and HR isnt there to help you
Fastpaced Work Enviornment
Safety Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 25, 2018
Very fast paced work environment, team oriented, room for growth in the company. Good benefits and medical insurances for full-time employees. Strict attendance policies.
Great Pay- No Advancement
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 15, 2018
Prestigious company to work for but no room for advancement.
Control is conducted by regulation and excessive documentation. Metrics are too numerous to mention and redundancies abound. It is not an atmosphere where stream-lined processes and lean management principles are encouraged.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor management, high turnover rate
Fast pace and competitive
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 11, 2018
A typical day at this company was very face past and competitive . The hardest part of this job was find the inspection locations that needed to be inspected.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Having to walk around the plant and find people to give them an eye inspections.
3/5 for me
APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 8, 2018
Wonderful people to work with daily. Management could use some tweaking. Excellent benefits and discounts. The pay is excellent for the local area. The company really loves to help the community.
shipyard!!!
Logistic Associate (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALMarch 20, 2018
awesome Mobile al shipyard. Austal USA men and women working together to protect our NAVY. doing a great job building the fleet for department of defense

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Austal USA. Our community is ready to answer.

Austal USA Reviews by Location